Once slow-moving threat, global warmi...

Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds up, leaving litt...

There are 54341 comments on the Newsday story from Dec 14, 2008, titled Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds up, leaving litt.... In it, Newsday reports that:

When Bill Clinton took office in 1993, global warming was a slow-moving environmental problem that was easy to ignore.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Newsday.

SpaceBlues

Houston, TX

#39509 Sep 20, 2013
reality wrote:
Why is it that virtually everyone who subscribes to gorism a.k.a man-induced global climate change also promotes such liberal agendas as pro-choice and "gay" rights?
Global climate change is a bunch of bull####!!
But y'know, at the same time, I'm a "green" person. I grew up "green". I was "green" when "green" was merely a color in a box of Crayolas. It is clear that those in the Left are using very gullible people in America and around the world in order to fulfill their mission of redistributing the world's capital wealth.
No, you are the source of the problem for you because you believe in nonsense. You are out of touch with reality.

Why are you here in this forum?
SpaceBlues

Houston, TX

#39510 Sep 20, 2013
ritedownthemiddle wrote:
<quoted text>lol....an opinion book referenced by the topix "opinionator".
You can't back up your beliefs with facts, can you, son? Science is there to show you the error of your thinking. Just reach out of your comfort zone and get the facts.
Man made climate change is passé. You're just uninformed.
If you read the book by a Nobel-winning scientist, you would see that deniers like you repeat the same attacks while the science marches on.

How's your head? Are you medicated enough to drop off your chair again?
SpaceBlues

Houston, TX

#39511 Sep 20, 2013
ritedownthemiddle wrote:
Should read pseudo scientific lies
LOL. What's your reference?

BWAHAAAAAHA
B as in B S as in S

Minneapolis, MN

#39512 Sep 20, 2013
Dont givaplugnikel wrote:
I don't care if it gets warmer.
Excellent. I too don't care if it gets warmer. But if it does, IMO It would be nice.
SpaceBlues

Houston, TX

#39513 Sep 20, 2013
B as in B S as in S wrote:
<quoted text>
Excellent. I too don't care if it gets warmer. But if it does, IMO It would be nice.
The man-made CO2 malady comes with global climate change, sea-level rise, ocean acidification, climate refugees, habitat destruction, first man-made species extinction, diseases, droughts, floods, unpredictable extreme events, and others.

You are ignorant!

Since: Jul 11

Location hidden

#39514 Sep 20, 2013
kristy wrote:
<quoted text>
Are you sure about China? Can they be trusted? They are already under reporting their CO2 emissions, so how sure are you that they will do what they say? Are they only giving the illusion they are cutting emissions by doing a little bit here and there?
http://www.global-warming-forecasts.com/under...
Look the Chinese are doing things on a scale western countries dream about. Those token bits here & there are things like building complete green cities from nothing. But of course to still maintain growth they have to balance western style slash n burn development as opposed to a careful managed approach. With a centralised government that controls everything they can make changes like flicking a light switch. Something that can't happen in the USA.
For instance new car plates now are only available via a lottery system. So if you want a car even if you have the money to pay for it. Obtaining the licence plate is via the lottery. Now try that in the US and see what happens. However with a government like that it sets itself up for corruption and I'm sure given enough cash and contacts your number would come up if you really wanted that plate. Also when you have an emerging middle class in China that wants all things westerners bathe themselves in as a mark of success. Those things don't always fit in with being green or reducing carbon emissions. But that same centralised government has a plan and that is to reduce those emissions and gearing its economy towards it. Something the US is still arguing about, and a congress that is rendered completely non functioning where to get a bill passed on anything is like parting the red sea. That's democracy at its worst.

http://www.theguardian.com/environment/blog/2...
gcaveman1

Laurel, MS

#39515 Sep 20, 2013
dont drink the koolaid wrote:
<quoted text>
Ok. You win
Why, thank you, ddtk.

You're a gentleman and a scholar.

Are you coming over from the dark side now?
B as in B S as in S

Minneapolis, MN

#39516 Sep 20, 2013
gcaveman1 wrote:
<quoted text>
Why, thank you, ddtk.
You're a gentleman and a scholar.
Are you coming over from the dark side now?

You're fucked.
Are you recording this? Are you paying attention?
Are you paying attention while I screw your little butthole?
Did you enjoy all this as much as I did?
http://www.topix.com/forum/news/global-warmin...
gcaveman1

Laurel, MS

#39517 Sep 20, 2013
kristy wrote:
<quoted text>
Are you sure about China? Can they be trusted? They are already under reporting their CO2 emissions, so how sure are you that they will do what they say? Are they only giving the illusion they are cutting emissions by doing a little bit here and there?
China may have under-reported its annual carbon emissions by as much as 1.4 billion tonnes a year.“According to a new paper [The gigatonne gap in China’s carbon dioxide inventories] published in the journal Nature Climate Change, China may be under-reporting its annual carbon emissions by as much as 1.4 billion tonnes a year—roughly the amount that Japan, the world’s fourth-largest emitter of carbon dioxide (CO2), pumps out each year.
China is the world’s largest CO2 emitter and produces around a quarter of global carbon emissions.
But according to the new study, which used more than a decade of official Chinese data, China’s carbon emissions could be 20% higher than previously thought. It says the emission discrepancy in 2010 is equivalent to about 5% of the total global output (in 2008). The authors, a team of scientists from China, Britain and America, found that when comparing national and provincial statistics between 1997 and 2010 a startling gap appeared. National-level statistics from the period reported a roughly 7.5% annual increase in emissions, to 7.69 billion tonnes in 2010.
Data released by [China's local] provincial-level statistics offices and compiled by the group [led by Dabo Guan, based at the University of Leeds in Britain] showed that the increase could be nearer 8.5%.”(“Warmed-up numbers - China may be severely under-reporting its carbon emissions,” The Economist, Beijing, China, June 23, 2012 reporting findings in Guan et al 2012, Dabo Guan, Zhu Liu, Yong Geng, Sören Lindner, & Klaus Hubacek,“The gigatonne gap in China’s carbon dioxide inventories,” Nature Climate Change, doi:10.1038/nclimate1560, June 10, 2012)
http://www.global-warming-forecasts.com/under...
You know, I believe you.

I know the oil companies here in the US lie to protect their interests, so why am I not surprised?

I know the Japanese power company lied about how much radioactivity was being released, so why am I not surprised?

And when chemical companies say that their release of tetrahydrochloroflurocarbonss into local streams are not harmful, why am I not surprised?

I know fracking sites have been damaged and are leaking in Colorado, and when the oil companies lie about it , why will I not be surprised?

Because very little surprises me these days, especially when it comes to corporate groupthink. They are against the people, and against the land.

Are you on their side, or the side of truth?
gcaveman1

Laurel, MS

#39518 Sep 20, 2013
Yes, you're right baibsais, I did push the envelope, didn't I?

I'm sorry for being so base and crass. I had a blackout.

I am tired of the stupidity of climate change deniers.
I am tired of the ignorance of evolution deniers.
I am tired of the 9/11 truthers.
I am tired of the utter and dangeroues idiocy of the anti-vaxxers.
I am extremely tired of the birthers.
I am amazed and befuddled by tea party fools.
I see that Koch is a real conspiracy, as opposed to those that yall imagine.
It all got to me, I must admit. I lost it.
Then there's my brother-in-law, and that's a whole nother level of stupidity.

I guess you could say that the stupidity got to me. I'm sorry.

I'll try to do better. Against all the odds.
SpaceBlues

Houston, TX

#39519 Sep 20, 2013
Sing along: He might, I don't know.
Fun Facts

Las Cruces, NM

#39520 Sep 20, 2013
gcaveman1 wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm posting this just to piss you off...
The Boulder, Colo. area is reeling after being inundated by record rainfall, with more than half a year’s worth of rain falling over the past three days. During those three days, 24-hour rainfall totals of between 8 and 10 inches across much of the Boulder area were enough to qualify this storm as a 1 in 1,000 year event, meaning that it has a 0.1 percent chance of occurring in a given year.
Climate Central
"1976 - The Big Thompson Canyon Flood happened in late July after a thunderstorm refused to move from the area - dumping more than a foot of rain in less than five hours. Recordkeepers say it is one of the deadliest freshwater floods in US history. In less than two hours, 570 structures were destroyed and 145 people lost their lives. The flood cost around $40 million."

http://www.9news.com/news/local/article/35495...
litesong

Monroe, WA

#39521 Sep 20, 2013
I too don't care if it gets warmer. But if it does, IMO It would be nice.
Crop pests and diseases are moving towards the poles at about the same speed as warmer temperatures.

Some pests like "B as in B S as in S", are in Minneapolis already.
Warmer is better

Paducah, KY

#39522 Sep 21, 2013
litesong wrote:
<quoted text>
Crop pests and diseases are moving towards the poles at about the same speed as warmer temperatures.
Crop pest wouldn't be moving toward the poles unless the temperate zone where crops can be grown is also moving.
SpaceBlues

Houston, TX

#39523 Sep 21, 2013
litesong wrote:
<quoted text>
Good one. Thanks.

Have you seen this one?

http://www.spiegel.de/international/world/a-9...

The "Columbian Exchange" -- as historians call this transcontinental exchange of humans, animals, germs and plants -- affected more than just the Americas.

It does have some inaccuracies, though.
LessHypeMoreFact

Toronto, Canada

#39524 Sep 21, 2013
Warmer is better wrote:
<quoted text>
Crop pest wouldn't be moving toward the poles unless the temperate zone where crops can be grown is also moving.
A silly non-sequitur. Crops are grown where there is a population to feed, not always the optimum location or the best soil. Only about 40% of Ontario, for example is 'class one' soils. The other 60% is marginal. For that matter, look at Texas, where you need thousands of acres per head of cattle because the semi-desert is so sparse.

The movement of crop pests probably means that the class two and lower farmers are going to have problems avoiding bankruptcy except for the higher prices of food generated by the damage to the class one farmers.. it will hit you in the pocketbook and if supply falls below demand, expect social disruption (or collapse).

“Happy, warm and comfortable”

Since: Oct 10

Mountain retreat, SE Spain

#39525 Sep 21, 2013
NoFactAllHype wrote:
Crops are grown where there is a population to feed, not always the optimum location or the best soil.
When I repost this totally absurd remark at a later date, I'm sure you'll be telling me "It was taken out of context."

I'm sure that even you can name a few sparsely populated areas where food is grown, and many densely populated areas where no food is grown, but as you're NoFactAllHype, you're forgiven.
Coal is King

Paducah, KY

#39526 Sep 21, 2013
From Pikeville, KY:

Obama will be the death of the Appalachian America. This area will be nothing in a few years. Property values will be half what they are now.

From Whitsett, NC:

Oblamer is the death of America as we knew her.

I don't care if liars call me a racist because I know they are lying.
I must be only 1/8 racist against Oblamer as it is only 1/8 African.
There is nothing a leftist can do constructive because their nature is destructive. Like in tearing down the USA to build their trashy USSA.

From Clay City, KY:

Well black, white, half white, mongrel, whatever, he is killing the Eastern Coal Fields. If there were anything to him, if you are going to destroy the industry and a region you would have a program for displaced workers. Of course it is all white Appalachia and not the projects so he can destroy the area and laugh about it...just another redneck red state, he don't care!

From Pikeville, KY:

While it's true that Obama and his misguided EPA would love to kill the coalfields altogether, I have some news for that jackass and his cronies:

We Mountaineers have been here since this nation was forged and we have fought for what's ours in the face of every adversity and know it all and you can bet your nearly worthless bottom dollar that we will survive and be here as long as there is a United States of America. We've suffered the yoke of Slave Labor, Ethnic Prejudice, Northern Intervention, Poverty, and a whole hell of a lot more than what Obama and his corrupted cronies can try throwing at us so let them do what they may but just know Kentucky Coal and it's people are here to stay.

From Kemper, KY:

Are they gonna tell us next,we can't build fires in our homes to keep us warm?No burning of coal or wood in our fireplaces?Communism is what we got going on.The United States is sinking,no jobs,no food, no medicine.Our elderly that worked and built this country,now has to choose between getting their medicine and buying food.It's a shame we support all the foreign countries and our own people starving.The lose of jobs doesn't just consist of Ky.Michigan is gone under and the rest of the country is pretty much gone also.Pray for our country and our leaders.God help us all!

“BET DAP”

Since: Feb 09

GOOM BOWN

#39527 Sep 21, 2013
SpaceBlues wrote:
<quoted text>If you read the book by a Nobel-winning scientist, you would see that deniers like you repeat the same attacks while the science marches on.
How's your head? Are you medicated enough to drop off your chair again?
In reality....something you're not too familiar with....Mann never won the award. Not that the Nobel would help his or your case and cause.
You seem to get tripped up on facts rather easily. You can't honestly 'deny' that just based on this post alone, son.

“BET DAP”

Since: Feb 09

GOOM BOWN

#39528 Sep 21, 2013
http://www.climatechangedispatch.com/11627-re...

Yes.....REAL science marches on. As it should! Stop the alarmist pseudo science in its tracks.

This hoax needs to be put out of its misery.

It's a good day......because I know I'm on the side of real science, real observations, and facts.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Chicago Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Ask Amy August 3 1 min Blunt Advice 7
News Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 2 min Grey Ghostmoron 1,264,346
News Israeli troops begin Gaza pullout as Hamas decl... (Jan '09) 9 min Ariel Sharon 70,148
Topix Chitown Regulars (Aug '09) 22 min Go Blue Forever 100,300
amy august 2 24 min pde 4
News BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting... (Jan '09) 25 min Learn to Read 194,695
Song Title Game (Dec '11) 29 min nag 1,198
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Chicago Mortgages