Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds up, leaving litt...

Full story: Newsday

When Bill Clinton took office in 1993, global warming was a slow-moving environmental problem that was easy to ignore.

Comments (Page 1,838)

Showing posts 36,741 - 36,760 of45,761
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
kristy

Oviedo, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 11, 2013

Judged:

Fair Game wrote:
By the way, the models *did* predict more snowfall:
Models predict that land areas in the Arctic will receive substantially increased snowfall in winter and that the climate will be markedly warmer. Summer could be much warmer and wetter than present. The climate over the Arctic Ocean does not change as dramatically, but it will become warmer and wetter by 2080. For the Antarctic continent, the models tend to predict more snow in winter and summer.
http://www.ipcc.ch/ipccreports/tar/wg2/index....
My badÖthey did predict more snow. But they also predicted more melt due to CO2 forcing. So when someone says that an increase in Antarctic SIE is expected in a warming world, can you point out where that was expected and the models that came from?
kristy

Oviedo, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 11, 2013

Judged:

Fair Game wrote:
<quoted text>
In the scientific literature he says that uncertainties mean we can't say that the models are wrong.
In the blog, he says the models are wrong and we can't explain why. Twice.
No, that's not what was said at all. They discussed reasons as to why models and observations diverged, came up with a few reasons why, favored one reason over the other, and then qualified that with this sentence: HOWEVER, THE LARGE OBSERVATIONAL UNCERTAINTIES THAT CURRENTLY EXIST MAKE IT DIFFICULT TO DETERMINE WHETHER OR NOT MODELS STILL HAVE SIGNIFICANT ERRORS. Resolution of this issue requires reducing these uncertainties.

Show me where it says you canít say models are wrong?

And by the way, this paper was co-authored by Christy. This wasnít his paper only. If it was just his paper, then Iím sure the other option would have been favored. But when you are working with a team, you donít always get each individual scientists opinion in the paper, you get the groups opinioin, which of course doesnít mean the entire group agreed.

These are the authors of the paper:
Convening Lead Author:Tom M. L. Wigley, NSF NCAR
Lead Authors:V. Ramaswamy, NOAA; J.R. Christy, Univ. of AL
in Huntsville; J.R. Lanzante, NOAA; C.A. Mears, Remote Sensing
Systems; B.D. Santer, DOE LLNL; C.K. Folland, U.K Met Office
kristy

Oviedo, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 11, 2013

Judged:

Fun Facts wrote:
<quoted text>
Good graph. The only other one year increase greater than the current year is in the Pinatubo time period when the entire earth cooled as a result of the volcanic particulate matter in the atmosphere.
Now that's really interesting. Just asking...what about Svenmark's theory....We have really low sun spots, increased cosmic rays which leads to clouds and cooling. Do you think this could have the same amount of cooling effect as Pinatubo?

Since: Apr 08

"the green troll"

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 11, 2013

Judged:

kristy wrote:
<quoted text>
My badÖthey did predict more snow. But they also predicted more melt due to CO2 forcing. So when someone says that an increase in Antarctic SIE is expected in a warming world, can you point out where that was expected and the models that came from?
The melt is predicted in 30-40 years by the models.

As to your second question, try the paper that *you* posted that says the current increase is within the range of natural variability in the models.

"the green troll"

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 11, 2013

Judged:

kristy wrote:
<quoted text>
No, that's not what was said at all.
Yes it is.

"the green troll"

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 11, 2013

Judged:

kristy wrote:
<quoted text>
Now that's really interesting. Just asking...what about Svenmark's theory....We have really low sun spots, increased cosmic rays which leads to clouds and cooling. Do you think this could have the same amount of cooling effect as Pinatubo?
LOL.

Who needs climate science when we have a pair on idiots on the internet?

"the green troll"

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 11, 2013

Judged:

kristy wrote:
Show me where it says you canít say models are wrong?
However, the large observational uncertainties that currently exist make it difficult to determine whether or not models still have significant errors.
http://www.climatescience.gov/Library/sap/sap...
And by the way, this paper was co-authored by Christy. This wasnít his paper only. If it was just his paper, then Iím sure the other option would have been favored. But when you are working with a team, you donít always get each individual scientists opinion in the paper, you get the groups opinioin, which of course doesnít mean the entire group agreed.
LOL.

The denier mind at work!

Christy wouldn't really have put his name to the above statement! No! his arm was twisted by the other authors!

Since: Jul 11

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 11, 2013

Judged:

gcaveman1 wrote:
Yes and this is the problem, climate science suddenly became the ole "reds under the bed" routine again, someone looking to take control the world. Those sorts of ideas can only come from the "Glen Becks" of this world who story book their nightmares as if it is truth. How on earth does looking after the environment become a liberal idea. If they really bothered to think about it, then a few might hang their heads in shame.

“Let's X Change!!”

Since: Feb 09

B4 HOPE Is Gone...

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 11, 2013

Judged:

gcaveman1 wrote:
In response to your link:
P3 why are you so paranoid about something that is not conclusive and has no certainty at all, son?? an asteroid will hit earth at some time in the future. that is certain! you worry about unfounded theories!! LOL why? man made co2 caused catastrophes are politically spoon fed theories. HELLO!!!!
P4 consume less...regulate business...curb big oil...restrict car use??? i have one valid question......WHY??? we are a consumer based free market global economy. one based on petrol products that go beyond auto fuel. do you have any REAL reasons to to support these assumptions other than your luddite minded opinions??? science isn't on your side....even if you insist that it is. LOL your science is bastardized theories and shaky models. you can take the bait hook, line, and sinker, sport....but the rest of us will wait for real scientific outcomes!
P5 the science isn't clear in spite of the authors, and your, insistence!

In response to the authors answer in a "nutshell":
you have no science expertise or known facts. PERIOD!!
"97% peer reviewed support" is a myth and a proven lie over and again. i wish you people would stop using that lame statistic. but, then again, it is funny.
science uncertainty is a given where climate change is concerned. why can't you, the author and the rest of the alarmists just admit that you don't know anymore than anyone else. your demanding that you know the 'facts' is an admission that you lack the intellectual honesty and do not possess the 'high ground'. LOL stop pretending!!
the rest of the article is ad hominem political correct cowardice tripe.

thanks for the lame article and the laugh!!

LOL

you really are from mississip, ain't ya?

LOL
gcaveman1

Bay Springs, MS

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 12, 2013

Judged:

ritedownthemiddle wrote:
<quoted text>In response to your link:
P3 why are you so paranoid about something that is not conclusive and has no certainty at all, son?? an asteroid will hit earth at some time in the future. that is certain! you worry about unfounded theories!! LOL why? man made co2 caused catastrophes are politically spoon fed theories. HELLO!!!!
P4 consume less...regulate business...curb big oil...restrict car use??? i have one valid question......WHY??? we are a consumer based free market global economy. one based on petrol products that go beyond auto fuel. do you have any REAL reasons to to support these assumptions other than your luddite minded opinions??? science isn't on your side....even if you insist that it is. LOL your science is bastardized theories and shaky models. you can take the bait hook, line, and sinker, sport....but the rest of us will wait for real scientific outcomes!
P5 the science isn't clear in spite of the authors, and your, insistence!
In response to the authors answer in a "nutshell":
you have no science expertise or known facts. PERIOD!!
"97% peer reviewed support" is a myth and a proven lie over and again. i wish you people would stop using that lame statistic. but, then again, it is funny.
science uncertainty is a given where climate change is concerned. why can't you, the author and the rest of the alarmists just admit that you don't know anymore than anyone else. your demanding that you know the 'facts' is an admission that you lack the intellectual honesty and do not possess the 'high ground'. LOL stop pretending!!
the rest of the article is ad hominem political correct cowardice tripe.
thanks for the lame article and the laugh!!
LOL
you really are from mississip, ain't ya?
LOL
LOL for you means Lots Of Lies.

This is simply an editorial, completely devoid of fact. You should send it to the Daily Mail's letters to the editor.

Yes, I really am from Mississippi, going back about 6 generations. Seems you're too embarrassed or paranoid to name your location.

lol
lol?

“Let's X Change!!”

B4 HOPE Is Gone...

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 12, 2013

Judged:

gcaveman1 wrote:
<quoted text>
LOL for you means Lots Of Lies.
This is simply an editorial, completely devoid of fact. You should send it to the Daily Mail's letters to the editor.
Yes, I really am from Mississippi, going back about 6 generations. Seems you're too embarrassed or paranoid to name your location.
lol
lol?
I'm nation wide, son!
Tex Oil Fields

Spring, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 12, 2013

ritedownthemiddle wrote:
<quoted text>I'm nation wide, son!
Did you mean to say,
"I'm bad; I'm nationwide"?

You will only get it if you know the song and band.
SpaceBlues

Houston, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 12, 2013

Judged:

A nation-wide dog and pony show... becomes international on topix.. iow, world-wide... wow lol
Fun Facts

Las Cruces, NM

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 12, 2013

Judged:

kristy wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes. It is the size of the heliosphere that impacts the access of cosmic rays to our system. When solar activity is low the heliosphere is smaller than when solar activity is high. The same impact is present in our earth's magnetic field.
gcaveman1

Bay Springs, MS

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 12, 2013

Judged:

ritedownthemiddle wrote:
<quoted text> why are you so paranoid

science isn't on your side....even if you insist that it is.
just admit that you don't know anymore than anyone else.
you lack the intellectual honesty and do not possess the 'high ground'.
LOL
I must say, for such a "lame article", it sure got you stirred up! I don't think you're laughing either, much less LOL.

In fact, your reply shows just how totally accurate that article was!

Why don't you tell us:

why you worry about unfounded theories?

how science isn't on our side....even if we insist that it is?

why the science isn't clear to you?

how the "97% peer reviewed support" is a myth and a proven lie?

Sounds like your question about my home state is an attempt at an ad hominem; but your whole diatribe is nothing but a political, cowardly piece of tripe.

lol yourself.
B as in B S as in S

Minneapolis, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 12, 2013

Judged:

Here are the "FACTS" according to those who place their faith in "The Experts":
Experts say the climate is warming at an alarming rate.
Experts say the models predicted this rate/warming.
Experts say the forecasts were too conservative.
Experts say the warming is Man made.
Experts say this causes "positive feedback".
Experts say this will lead to a "tipping point"
Experts say this will lead to Climate Disruption (CD).
Experts say this CD could destroy life on Earth...
B as in B S as in S

Minneapolis, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 12, 2013

Judged:

Here are the "FACTS" according to those who place their faith in "The Experts":
Experts say the Global Warming is Man made.
Experts say the climate is warming at an alarming rate.
Experts say the models predicted this rate/warming.
Experts say the forecasts were too conservative.
Experts say this Man made warming causes "positive feedback".
Experts say this will lead to a "tipping point"
Experts say this will lead to Climate Disruption (CD).
Experts say this CD could destroy life on Earth...

-that's better.

“Let's X Change!!”

B4 HOPE Is Gone...

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 12, 2013

Judged:

Tex Oil Fields wrote:
<quoted text>
Did you mean to say,
"I'm bad; I'm nationwide"?
You will only get it if you know the song and band.
that's why i said it!:-D zz always been one of my favorites.

“Let's X Change!!”

B4 HOPE Is Gone...

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 12, 2013

Judged:

gcaveman1 wrote:
<quoted text>
I must say, for such a "lame article", it sure got you stirred up! I don't think you're laughing either, much less LOL.
In fact, your reply shows just how totally accurate that article was!
Why don't you tell us:
why you worry about unfounded theories?
how science isn't on our side....even if we insist that it is?
why the science isn't clear to you?
how the "97% peer reviewed support" is a myth and a proven lie?
Sounds like your question about my home state is an attempt at an ad hominem; but your whole diatribe is nothing but a political, cowardly piece of tripe.
lol yourself.
how you figure i'm worked up, son? LOL

the article is tripe.LOL

i don't worry about unfounded theories....i expose them. you should know that by now! LOL

science doesn't take sides, son, so stop claiming you have it and any facts, okay?! LOL

97% of the respondents weren't used for starters. there answers were distorted, too. or did you not actually read the survey? LOL

naw....i like your state, but people like you deserve to be the butt of jokes. LOL
B as in B S as in S

Minneapolis, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 12, 2013

Judged:

Stop it you guys... independent and creative thinking is an unfair advantage for those who religiously bestow their faith upon the 'chosen ones', better known as 'Climate Scientists".

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 36,741 - 36,760 of45,761
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

20 Users are viewing the Chicago Forum right now

Search the Chicago Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 4 min RealDave 1,077,542
McCarthy: 'Very good leads' in investigation in... 9 min bensleys thoughts 1
Thousands march in downtown Chicago in support ... 15 min bensleys thoughts 1
Obama Gives Trillions for Wall Street, Not a Di... 23 min bensleys thoughts 5
City to install more jet noise monitors in Chicago 34 min bensleys thoughts 1
Israel And Palestine, An Animated Introduction 46 min Charles Idemi 2
BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting... (Jan '09) 2 hr wojar 174,372
•••
•••