Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds up, leaving litt...

Full story: Newsday 49,236
When Bill Clinton took office in 1993, global warming was a slow-moving environmental problem that was easy to ignore. Full Story
litesong

Lynnwood, WA

#39137 Sep 13, 2013
B as in B S as in S wrote:
independent and creative thinking.....
toxic topix AGW denier conservative business re-pubic-lick-uns love independent & creative thinking, separate from science rigor.
Mothra

Phoenix, AZ

#39138 Sep 13, 2013
litesong wrote:
<quoted text>
toxic topix AGW denier conservative business re-pubic-lick-uns love independent & creative thinking, separate from science rigor.
Coming soon... goobledy, gobbledy, gabbeldy gibberish.

Please... practice your babbling elsewhere.
litesong

Lynnwood, WA

#39139 Sep 13, 2013
itesong wrote:

//////////
"motheaten" muffed:
... goobledy, gobbledy, gabbeldy gibberish.
/////////
litesong wrote:
Ah!'motheaten' is on the menu for this year's Thanksgiving...... altho it should put on a little extra weight.

toxic topix AGW denier conservative business re-pubic-lick-uns love the independent & creative thinking, separate from science rigor of "motheaten".
gcaveman1

Bay Springs, MS

#39140 Sep 13, 2013
ritedownthemiddle wrote:
<quoted text>i've provided emails from participants disputing the cook interpretations many times ON THIS THREAD! go back and look. stop being a lazy, shoot from the hip, clod.
funny when someone from the magnolia state calls someone ignorant. based on your states history....that has to be at least a pot kettle thing!! LOL
btw....where do you pick up women besides family reunions?
know what girls from mississppi have in common with bears? they both lick their paws!
LOL
Emails...not scientific research.

Participants in?

I'll ignore the kindergarten stuff since you don't have anything else. We have to suffer the little children, I understand.
gcaveman1

Bay Springs, MS

#39141 Sep 13, 2013
kristy wrote:
<quoted text>
So a late start to the growing season equals global warming and an early start to the growing season equals global warming.
The theory says that we will have droughts and floods.

Makes your head explode, doesn't it?

Let me help you out. Droughts and floods...but not at the same time. Maybe or maybe not, in the same place.

Does that help? I hope so, cause this is probably the 100th time it's been explained to you.

I'm really beginning to think you guys are severely mentally deficient.
Mothra

Phoenix, AZ

#39142 Sep 13, 2013
litesong wrote:
itesong wrote:[absolutely nothing worth reading]
//////////
litesong wrote:[nothing else worth reading]
Other than assuaging your pitiful ego, is anything in your last posts useful?

Quit wasting bandwidth!

Don't your care about the planet?

Hypocrite.
Mothra

Phoenix, AZ

#39143 Sep 13, 2013
gcaveman1 wrote:
<quoted text>
Makes your head explode, doesn't it?
Let me help you out. Droughts and floods...but not at the same time. Maybe or maybe not, in the same place.
Does that help? I hope so, cause this is probably the 100th time it's been explained to you.
I'm really beginning to think you guys are severely mentally deficient.
Wow... a theory that covers every single weather event possible.

How can anyone argue with that science?

They can't... cuz you just described religion.
LessHypeMoreFact

Toronto, Canada

#39144 Sep 13, 2013
gcaveman1 wrote:
<quoted text>
Been watching the news about Colorado?

I wonder when they will be convinced that such things are 'just a tad unusual' for the old stable climate.
litesong

Lynnwood, WA

#39145 Sep 13, 2013
"motheaten" muffed:
... goobledy, gobbledy, gabbeldy gibberish.
/////////
litesong wrote:
Ah!'motheaten' is on the menu for this year's Thanksgiving...... altho it should put on a little extra weight.
//////////
Mothra muffed:
is anything in your last posts useful?
//////////
litesong wrote:
Your the one talking turkey!
Your price for the Thanksgiving holiday won't be over 19 cents a pound, will it?
gcaveman1

Bay Springs, MS

#39146 Sep 13, 2013
LessHypeMoreFact wrote:
<quoted text>
Been watching the news about Colorado?
I wonder when they will be convinced that such things are 'just a tad unusual' for the old stable climate.
Of course, it isn't possible to say that one particular event is caused by global warming.

This is a big favor for the denialists, but they fail to appreciate it. It is a qualification the scientists have to concede, since it is mostly NOT possible to say for sure whether an event is part of climate change or not. However, the evidence is building.

Past performance is not an indicator of future events.

Your mileage may vary.

All they can say is that events like this will become more common as the planet warms. As we get more events like this, we can be more certain that the climate is changing.

But there are other things that ARE certain.
B as in B S as in S

Minneapolis, MN

#39147 Sep 13, 2013
"So what would disprove AGW?"
Fair Game wrote:
<quoted text>
Overturning the rules of physics.
Good trick for a clown like you, if you could do it.
Is there anything else that would disprove AGW?
litesong

Lynnwood, WA

#39148 Sep 13, 2013
Most toxic topix AGW deniers prove they had no science, chemistry, astronomy, physics, algebra, & pre-calc in their poorly earned hi skule DEE-plooomaas AND have "B as in B S as in S" deegreees.
LessHypeMoreFact

Toronto, Canada

#39149 Sep 13, 2013
gcaveman1 wrote:
<quoted text>
Of course, it isn't possible to say that one particular event is caused by global warming.
Which is why I termed it 'a tad unusual'. In fact, pretty far out on the probability chart. Doesn't mean that it needed AGW or climate change, but it IS more likely if you assume the old standard climate is no longer valid. More moisture from the Gulf getting wrung out as it climbs over Denver or maybe just an unusual weather pattern.

Makes you wonder though. For good reason..
LessHypeMoreFact

Toronto, Canada

#39150 Sep 13, 2013
"So what would disprove AGW?"
<quoted text>
Anything that is implicit in AGW theory, such as disproving the physics of the greenhouse effect, showing that the forcing is inadequate, showing that CO2 is not accumulating in the atmosphere, etc etc. One flaw is all it takes.

Trouble is that NO peer reviewed serious studies have been able to disprove AGW theory and more and more studies have confirmed it, leading to a situation where it would almost be easier to disprove gravity. Lots of luck on that.. and let us know when you have something REAL, if you ever do.
gcaveman1

Bay Springs, MS

#39151 Sep 13, 2013
LessHypeMoreFact wrote:
<quoted text>
Which is why I termed it 'a tad unusual'. In fact, pretty far out on the probability chart. Doesn't mean that it needed AGW or climate change, but it IS more likely if you assume the old standard climate is no longer valid. More moisture from the Gulf getting wrung out as it climbs over Denver or maybe just an unusual weather pattern.
So far today, I have heard the rains described as "a year's rain in one day", "a 100-year event", " a 1000-year event".

If it is natural variation, I can accept that too. But the odds are that it is a natural event that would have occurred anyway, but because of warming, it is a natural event on steroids.

A concept beyond the grasp of our resident fools.
gcaveman1

Bay Springs, MS

#39152 Sep 13, 2013
LessHypeMoreFact wrote:
<quoted text>
I believe there was a study published last week that said that Sandy would have happened anyway, but that global warming had made it 10% stronger. We don't need hurricanes to be 10% stronger.

The turn to the west in the last hours was highly unusual too, and I have to think that may have been an additional effect.
LessHypeMoreFact

Toronto, Canada

#39153 Sep 13, 2013
gcaveman1 wrote:
<quoted text>
So far today, I have heard the rains described as "a year's rain in one day", "a 100-year event", " a 1000-year event".
The news I had was of 'six months worth of rain in one week'. But stay tuned. It's still raining..
gcaveman1 wrote:
<quoted text>
If it is natural variation, I can accept that too. But the odds are that it is a natural event that would have occurred anyway, but because of warming, it is a natural event on steroids.
A concept beyond the grasp of our resident fools.
It might have been three months worth of rain in a week without AGW. Or it might have been the same. Hard to be SURE when the 'proximate causes' are the primary driving force and AGW 'impels but does not compel'. You have to analyze it statistically and that takes a LOT of examples.

Here in Toronto, we just had a 32C day with a humidex of 40C or more, followed two days later with a high of 14C and an overnight low of 5C (leading to frost warnings). This also doesn't seem to be 'normal'.

Mostly there seems to be a major shift in weather to allow more north and south movement (and thus rapid changes in temperature) relative to the mostly westerly winds and weather I remember. Because Toronto is so near the track of the jet stream that divides the polar from the temperate Hadley cells, the effect is relatively large here.
LessHypeMoreFact

Toronto, Canada

#39154 Sep 13, 2013
gcaveman1 wrote:
<quoted text>
I believe there was a study published last week that said that Sandy would have happened anyway, but that global warming had made it 10% stronger. We don't need hurricanes to be 10% stronger.
So true. A small increase in wind speed and water deposits can cause an immense change in damage. For example, the forces from winds vary with the CUBE of the wind speed. 10 % stronger cubed is 33% stronger and is much more likely to rip roofs off, etc. And a ten foot flood might be contained by river banks while an eleven foot flood might run down the street (and one foot of rapidly moving water can knock you off your feet).

“Let's X Change!!”

Since: Feb 09

B4 HOPE Is Gone...

#39155 Sep 14, 2013
gcaveman1 wrote:
<quoted text>
Emails...not scientific research.
Participants in?
I'll ignore the kindergarten stuff since you don't have anything else. We have to suffer the little children, I understand.
Emails from Cook Survey participants explaining that their responses were misinterpreted.

Apparently, child, you don't understand.
litesong

Lynnwood, WA

#39156 Sep 14, 2013
gcaveman1 wrote:
////////
LessHypeMoreFact wrote:
The news I had was of 'six months worth of rain in one week'. But stay tuned. It's still raining..
//////////
litesong wrote:
A couple of years ago, the pineapple express from Hawaii to the Pacific Northwest went stable, directly against a mountain slope of the Cascade Mountains. Among the wild wide ranging pourings that often hit the Northwest, this incessant pounding kept dumping inches of rain per hour on that slope of one to three square miles........ for about 4 days! The radar kept track of the quantity...... 133 inches during the 4 day period.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Chicago Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 6 min mdbuilder 1,154,303
BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting... (Jan '09) 18 min Flo 181,863
Ill. House Approves Legalizing Same-Sex Civil U... (Dec '10) 2 hr KiMerde 51,262
Messianic Jews say they are persecuted in Israel (Jun '08) 2 hr JOEL 71,100
Family of slain Loyola student seeks 'peace not... 2 hr Searcy 2
women are so shallow these days (Nov '11) 4 hr Silk 87
Obama pardons 2 Illinoisans, including former M... 5 hr barefoot2626 20
Chicago Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web

Chicago People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Chicago News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Chicago

Personal Finance