Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds up, leaving litt...

Full story: Newsday

When Bill Clinton took office in 1993, global warming was a slow-moving environmental problem that was easy to ignore.
Comments
36,701 - 36,720 of 46,316 Comments Last updated 1 hr ago

Since: Apr 08

"the green troll"

#39095 Sep 11, 2013
kristy wrote:
<quoted text>
My badÖthey did predict more snow. But they also predicted more melt due to CO2 forcing. So when someone says that an increase in Antarctic SIE is expected in a warming world, can you point out where that was expected and the models that came from?
The melt is predicted in 30-40 years by the models.

As to your second question, try the paper that *you* posted that says the current increase is within the range of natural variability in the models.

"the green troll"

#39096 Sep 11, 2013
kristy wrote:
<quoted text>
No, that's not what was said at all.
Yes it is.

"the green troll"

#39097 Sep 11, 2013
kristy wrote:
<quoted text>
Now that's really interesting. Just asking...what about Svenmark's theory....We have really low sun spots, increased cosmic rays which leads to clouds and cooling. Do you think this could have the same amount of cooling effect as Pinatubo?
LOL.

Who needs climate science when we have a pair on idiots on the internet?

"the green troll"

#39098 Sep 11, 2013
kristy wrote:
Show me where it says you canít say models are wrong?
However, the large observational uncertainties that currently exist make it difficult to determine whether or not models still have significant errors.
http://www.climatescience.gov/Library/sap/sap...
And by the way, this paper was co-authored by Christy. This wasnít his paper only. If it was just his paper, then Iím sure the other option would have been favored. But when you are working with a team, you donít always get each individual scientists opinion in the paper, you get the groups opinioin, which of course doesnít mean the entire group agreed.
LOL.

The denier mind at work!

Christy wouldn't really have put his name to the above statement! No! his arm was twisted by the other authors!

Since: Jul 11

Location hidden

#39099 Sep 11, 2013
gcaveman1 wrote:
Yes and this is the problem, climate science suddenly became the ole "reds under the bed" routine again, someone looking to take control the world. Those sorts of ideas can only come from the "Glen Becks" of this world who story book their nightmares as if it is truth. How on earth does looking after the environment become a liberal idea. If they really bothered to think about it, then a few might hang their heads in shame.

“Let's X Change!!”

Since: Feb 09

B4 HOPE Is Gone...

#39100 Sep 11, 2013
gcaveman1 wrote:
In response to your link:
P3 why are you so paranoid about something that is not conclusive and has no certainty at all, son?? an asteroid will hit earth at some time in the future. that is certain! you worry about unfounded theories!! LOL why? man made co2 caused catastrophes are politically spoon fed theories. HELLO!!!!
P4 consume less...regulate business...curb big oil...restrict car use??? i have one valid question......WHY??? we are a consumer based free market global economy. one based on petrol products that go beyond auto fuel. do you have any REAL reasons to to support these assumptions other than your luddite minded opinions??? science isn't on your side....even if you insist that it is. LOL your science is bastardized theories and shaky models. you can take the bait hook, line, and sinker, sport....but the rest of us will wait for real scientific outcomes!
P5 the science isn't clear in spite of the authors, and your, insistence!

In response to the authors answer in a "nutshell":
you have no science expertise or known facts. PERIOD!!
"97% peer reviewed support" is a myth and a proven lie over and again. i wish you people would stop using that lame statistic. but, then again, it is funny.
science uncertainty is a given where climate change is concerned. why can't you, the author and the rest of the alarmists just admit that you don't know anymore than anyone else. your demanding that you know the 'facts' is an admission that you lack the intellectual honesty and do not possess the 'high ground'. LOL stop pretending!!
the rest of the article is ad hominem political correct cowardice tripe.

thanks for the lame article and the laugh!!

LOL

you really are from mississip, ain't ya?

LOL
gcaveman1

Laurel, MS

#39102 Sep 12, 2013
ritedownthemiddle wrote:
<quoted text>In response to your link:
P3 why are you so paranoid about something that is not conclusive and has no certainty at all, son?? an asteroid will hit earth at some time in the future. that is certain! you worry about unfounded theories!! LOL why? man made co2 caused catastrophes are politically spoon fed theories. HELLO!!!!
P4 consume less...regulate business...curb big oil...restrict car use??? i have one valid question......WHY??? we are a consumer based free market global economy. one based on petrol products that go beyond auto fuel. do you have any REAL reasons to to support these assumptions other than your luddite minded opinions??? science isn't on your side....even if you insist that it is. LOL your science is bastardized theories and shaky models. you can take the bait hook, line, and sinker, sport....but the rest of us will wait for real scientific outcomes!
P5 the science isn't clear in spite of the authors, and your, insistence!
In response to the authors answer in a "nutshell":
you have no science expertise or known facts. PERIOD!!
"97% peer reviewed support" is a myth and a proven lie over and again. i wish you people would stop using that lame statistic. but, then again, it is funny.
science uncertainty is a given where climate change is concerned. why can't you, the author and the rest of the alarmists just admit that you don't know anymore than anyone else. your demanding that you know the 'facts' is an admission that you lack the intellectual honesty and do not possess the 'high ground'. LOL stop pretending!!
the rest of the article is ad hominem political correct cowardice tripe.
thanks for the lame article and the laugh!!
LOL
you really are from mississip, ain't ya?
LOL
LOL for you means Lots Of Lies.

This is simply an editorial, completely devoid of fact. You should send it to the Daily Mail's letters to the editor.

Yes, I really am from Mississippi, going back about 6 generations. Seems you're too embarrassed or paranoid to name your location.

lol
lol?

“Let's X Change!!”

B4 HOPE Is Gone...

#39103 Sep 12, 2013
gcaveman1 wrote:
<quoted text>
LOL for you means Lots Of Lies.
This is simply an editorial, completely devoid of fact. You should send it to the Daily Mail's letters to the editor.
Yes, I really am from Mississippi, going back about 6 generations. Seems you're too embarrassed or paranoid to name your location.
lol
lol?
I'm nation wide, son!
Tex Oil Fields

Spring, TX

#39104 Sep 12, 2013
ritedownthemiddle wrote:
<quoted text>I'm nation wide, son!
Did you mean to say,
"I'm bad; I'm nationwide"?

You will only get it if you know the song and band.
SpaceBlues

Houston, TX

#39105 Sep 12, 2013
A nation-wide dog and pony show... becomes international on topix.. iow, world-wide... wow lol
Fun Facts

Las Cruces, NM

#39106 Sep 12, 2013
kristy wrote:
<quoted text>
Now that's really interesting. Just asking...what about Svenmark's theory....We have really low sun spots, increased cosmic rays which leads to clouds and cooling. Do you think this could have the same amount of cooling effect as Pinatubo?
Yes. It is the size of the heliosphere that impacts the access of cosmic rays to our system. When solar activity is low the heliosphere is smaller than when solar activity is high. The same impact is present in our earth's magnetic field.
gcaveman1

Laurel, MS

#39107 Sep 12, 2013
ritedownthemiddle wrote:
<quoted text> why are you so paranoid

science isn't on your side....even if you insist that it is.
just admit that you don't know anymore than anyone else.
you lack the intellectual honesty and do not possess the 'high ground'.
LOL
I must say, for such a "lame article", it sure got you stirred up! I don't think you're laughing either, much less LOL.

In fact, your reply shows just how totally accurate that article was!

Why don't you tell us:

why you worry about unfounded theories?

how science isn't on our side....even if we insist that it is?

why the science isn't clear to you?

how the "97% peer reviewed support" is a myth and a proven lie?

Sounds like your question about my home state is an attempt at an ad hominem; but your whole diatribe is nothing but a political, cowardly piece of tripe.

lol yourself.
B as in B S as in S

Minneapolis, MN

#39108 Sep 12, 2013
Here are the "FACTS" according to those who place their faith in "The Experts":
Experts say the climate is warming at an alarming rate.
Experts say the models predicted this rate/warming.
Experts say the forecasts were too conservative.
Experts say the warming is Man made.
Experts say this causes "positive feedback".
Experts say this will lead to a "tipping point"
Experts say this will lead to Climate Disruption (CD).
Experts say this CD could destroy life on Earth...
B as in B S as in S

Minneapolis, MN

#39109 Sep 12, 2013
Here are the "FACTS" according to those who place their faith in "The Experts":
Experts say the Global Warming is Man made.
Experts say the climate is warming at an alarming rate.
Experts say the models predicted this rate/warming.
Experts say the forecasts were too conservative.
Experts say this Man made warming causes "positive feedback".
Experts say this will lead to a "tipping point"
Experts say this will lead to Climate Disruption (CD).
Experts say this CD could destroy life on Earth...

-that's better.

“Let's X Change!!”

B4 HOPE Is Gone...

#39110 Sep 12, 2013
Tex Oil Fields wrote:
<quoted text>
Did you mean to say,
"I'm bad; I'm nationwide"?
You will only get it if you know the song and band.
that's why i said it!:-D zz always been one of my favorites.

“Let's X Change!!”

B4 HOPE Is Gone...

#39111 Sep 12, 2013
gcaveman1 wrote:
<quoted text>
I must say, for such a "lame article", it sure got you stirred up! I don't think you're laughing either, much less LOL.
In fact, your reply shows just how totally accurate that article was!
Why don't you tell us:
why you worry about unfounded theories?
how science isn't on our side....even if we insist that it is?
why the science isn't clear to you?
how the "97% peer reviewed support" is a myth and a proven lie?
Sounds like your question about my home state is an attempt at an ad hominem; but your whole diatribe is nothing but a political, cowardly piece of tripe.
lol yourself.
how you figure i'm worked up, son? LOL

the article is tripe.LOL

i don't worry about unfounded theories....i expose them. you should know that by now! LOL

science doesn't take sides, son, so stop claiming you have it and any facts, okay?! LOL

97% of the respondents weren't used for starters. there answers were distorted, too. or did you not actually read the survey? LOL

naw....i like your state, but people like you deserve to be the butt of jokes. LOL
B as in B S as in S

Minneapolis, MN

#39112 Sep 12, 2013
Stop it you guys... independent and creative thinking is an unfair advantage for those who religiously bestow their faith upon the 'chosen ones', better known as 'Climate Scientists".
gcaveman1

Laurel, MS

#39113 Sep 12, 2013
ritedownthemiddle wrote:
<quoted text>how you figure i'm worked up, son? LOL
the article is tripe.LOL
i don't worry about unfounded theories....i expose them. you should know that by now! LOL
science doesn't take sides, son, so stop claiming you have it and any facts, okay?! LOL
97% of the respondents weren't used for starters. there answers were distorted, too. or did you not actually read the survey? LOL
naw....i like your state, but people like you deserve to be the butt of jokes. LOL
I haven't seen you exposing anything but your ignorance, certainly not any real climate science.

I haven't seen any facts from you either, though you brag about having some, somewhere.

What respondents weren't used? Show us the distortions in their answers.

A big, fat zero from you........AGAIN!
dont drink the koolaid

Minneapolis, MN

#39114 Sep 12, 2013
When Bill Clinton took office in 1993, global warming was a slow-moving environmental problem that was easy to ignore.
20 years later science is looking for missing heat... and this week so am I.
Freeze warnings??? It was in the 90's just a couple of days ago.
SpaceBlues

Houston, TX

#39115 Sep 12, 2013
MN is very dry..

ST. PAUL, Minn.(AP)- Hot, dry weather is putting stress on pastures across Minnesota.

The U.S. Department of Agriculture says in its weekly crops and weather report for Minnesota that soil moisture supplies continue to decline. Almost one-third of the state's topsoil and 23% of its subsoil is rated very short.

Many parts of the state received no rain last week, and the statewide average was only 0.05 inches. Meanwhile, the state's average temperature was 4.4 degrees above normal at 66.9 degrees.

Nearly half the state's pastures are rated in poor to very poor condition. Corn and soybean conditions are both rated 51% good or excellent.

Minnesota's sweet corn harvest advanced 14%age points to 70% complete, but remains behind the normal 76% for this time.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Chicago Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Messianic Jews say they are persecuted in Israel (Jun '08) 48 min J RULES 68,991
Music Artists A to Z (Feb '14) 2 hr SLY WEST 299
Topix Chitown Regulars (Aug '09) 2 hr edogxxx 97,934
Song Titles Only (group/artist in parenthesis m... (Mar '10) 2 hr SLY WEST 7,749
Last word + 2 (Mar '12) 2 hr SLY WEST 570
Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 2 hr Yeah 1,100,230
Abby 8-29 3 hr pde 11
BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting... (Jan '09) 5 hr wojar 177,384
•••
•••
•••

Chicago Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••