Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds up, leaving litt...

Full story: Newsday

When Bill Clinton took office in 1993, global warming was a slow-moving environmental problem that was easy to ignore.
Comments
36,321 - 36,340 of 45,795 Comments Last updated 21 min ago

Since: Mar 09

Wichita, KS

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#38647
Aug 30, 2013
 

Judged:

1

1

1

Fun Facts wrote:
<quoted text>
http://joannenova.com.au/2013/04/antarctica-g...
Those who do not learn from history are doomed to repeat it.
Actually, the melting is pretty well balanced with the accumulation. This is to be expected because of increased atmospheric water vapor increases the snowfall.

The temporal and spatial variability of the
SMB (Surface Mass Balance)over the previous 800 yr indicates that SMB changes over most of Antarctica are statistically negligible and do not exhibit an overall clear trend. This result is in accordance with the results presented by Monaghan et al.(2006), which demonstrate statistically insignificant changes in the SMB over the past 50 yr.

So it is not gaining.
kristy

Oviedo, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#38648
Aug 30, 2013
 

Judged:

3

3

3

LOL...so sorry I'm wearing all of you out. But here is one post for all of you. I notice you say that I can produce more garbage in a minute than a PhD can rebut in an hour. Well here are what the PhD's have to say:

To Bozo in response to your questions, here are my answers:

1. Snow a thing of the past-Dr. David Viner, senior research scientist at CRU (I’m sure he has a PhD) said this in 2000:

However, the warming is so far manifesting itself more in winters which are less cold than in much hotter summers. According to Dr David Viner, a senior research scientist at the climatic research unit (CRU) of the University of East Anglia,within a few years winter snowfall will become "a very rare and exciting event".

http://www.independent.co.uk/environment/snow...

2. What would I consider an alarming sea level rise? Multi-meter by 2100…James Hansen, former NASA GISS scientist (I’m sure he has a PhD) predicts this:

Gravity satellite data, although too brief to be conclusive, are consistent with a doubling
time of 10 years or less, implying the possibility of multi-meter sea level rise this century.

http://www.columbia.edu/~jeh1/mailings/2011/2...

Oh and Dr. Bozo, PhD, could you let these other scientists know (I’m sure they have a PhD) that Antarctica ice is not expanding. They seem confused and they think it’s increasing. Maybe if you email them your graph they will understand how wrong they are. Thanks.

The recent observed positive trends in total Antarctic sea ice extent are at odds with the expectation of melting sea ice in a warming world. More problematic yet, climate models indicate that sea ice should decrease around Antarctica
in response to both increasing greenhouse gases and stratospheric ozone depletion.

http://www.columbia.edu/~lmp/paps/polvani+smi...

In contrast to Arctic sea ice, average Antarctic sea ice area is not retreating but has slowly increased since satellite measurements began in 1979. While most climate models from the Coupled Model Intercomparison Project Phase 5 (CMIP5) archive simulate a decrease in Antarctic sea ice area over the recent past, whether these models can be dismissed as being wrong depends on more than just the sign of change compared to observations.

http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1002/jg...

This paper examines the annual cycle and trends in Antarctic sea ice extent (SIE) for 18 models used in phase 5 of the Coupled Model Intercomparison Project (CMIP5) that were run with historical forcing for the 1850s to 2005. Many of the models have an annual SIE cycle that differs markedly from that observed over the last 30 years. The majority of models have too small of an SIE at the minimum in February, while several of the models have less than two-thirds of the observed SIE at the September maximum.

http://journals.ametsoc.org/doi/abs/10.1175/J...

In twentieth-century integrations, Antarctic sea ice area exhibits significant decreasing annual trends in all six ensemble members from 1950 to 2005, in apparent contrast to observations that suggest a modest ice area increase since 1979.

http://journals.ametsoc.org/doi/abs/10.1175/J...

And while you’re at it, could you let the IPCC know that Antarctica ice is not expanding and that you know the reasons why? Thanks.

According to the UNEP in 2007, the IPCC had this to say (this was even before the record breaking increase of the present):

In contrast to the Arctic, there are signs of a slight increase in the extent of annual mean sea ice [in the Antarctic] over the period 1979–2005 (+1.2 per cent per decade) based on the NASA Team retrieval algorithm. The reasons for the very different trends in Arctic and Antarctic sea ice extent over recent decades are not known at present and resolving this important question is a high research priority.

“Let's X Change!!”

Since: Feb 09

B4 HOPE Is Gone...

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#38649
Aug 30, 2013
 

Judged:

1

1

1

Poetic justice!
Another "facial" served up to the whacked out alarmist hysteria.
http://mobile.bloomberg.com/news/2013-08-30/n...
Heeheehee

“Let's X Change!!”

Since: Feb 09

B4 HOPE Is Gone...

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#38650
Aug 30, 2013
 

Judged:

1

1

1

gcaveman1 wrote:
<quoted text>

But global warming IS alarming.
It's happening.
We are causing it.
It's going to get worse.
just not in August , huh, punching bag?
Lol
Mothra

Phoenix, AZ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#38651
Aug 30, 2013
 

Judged:

1

1

1

ritedownthemiddle wrote:
<quoted text>i take it your not a PhD.
Not so sure myself... if PhD is for "Piled higher and Deeper".
Mothra

Phoenix, AZ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#38652
Aug 30, 2013
 
ritedownthemiddle wrote:
Poetic justice!
Another "facial" served up to the whacked out alarmist hysteria.
http://mobile.bloomberg.com/news/2013-08-30/n...
Heeheehee
All that 'proves' is that there's no "consensus" on hurricane predictions.

LOL
SpaceBlues

Houston, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#38653
Aug 30, 2013
 

Judged:

4

3

2

Written as an objection to being included in an anthology of British poetry, as he claimed his identity was Irish, in 1982.

"Be advised my passport's green.

No glass of ours was ever raised

to toast the Queen."

Seamus Heaney
kristy

Oviedo, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#38654
Aug 30, 2013
 

Judged:

2

2

2

Fun Facts wrote:
<quoted text>
LOL
Does Kristy 'wear you out'? What is it, the fact that she posts information from real science and you don't have what it takes to read the material?
So you denigrate her with simplistic statements that have no value to the science being discussed. Then smear her with your base level of understanding of human kind.
I guess it's not a laughing matter, in reality, it's actually quite sad.
You know what's funny. All these climate scientists with PhD's have made such outrageous predictions in the past, it is now coming back to haunt them, so now they just end up arguing against their past predictions. Example, Dr. Viner publicly proclaims snow will be a thing of the past, then when it snows they pretend they never said it and blame it on the skeptics and then start a circular argument with themselves stating how they knew all along they knew snow would increase. They do it with all their predictions.

Look what they just recently said about Antarctic Sea Ice:

Antarctic sea ice extent in mid-August reached a record or near-record level high at 18.7 million square kilometers, according to the National Snow and Ice Data Center External Non-U.S. government site.

The positive growth of total sea ice extent around Antarctica, which averages 18 million square kilometers at the height of winter, is part of a long-term trend and is consistent with how scientists believe climate change affects the southernmost continent.

http://antarcticsun.usap.gov/science/contenth...

Back in 2007, the IPCC said this:

In contrast to the Arctic, there are signs of a slight increase in the extent of annual mean sea ice [in the Antarctic] over the period 1979–2005 (+1.2 per cent per decade) based on the NASA Team retrieval algorithm. The IPCC concluded that this overall increase was not significant and that there are NO CONSISTENT TRENDS trends during the period of satellite observations.

What a bunch of BS.
SpaceBlues

Houston, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#38655
Aug 30, 2013
 

Judged:

4

3

2

gcaveman1 wrote:
<quoted text>
It's the game of whack-a-mole she plays that wears me out.
We can refute and disprove her posts all day long; like I said, it won't make any difference. It's her job.
There are no fence-sitters coming to this thread. There are no true skeptics. There's only fossil fuel shills, those with such a strong psychological defect that they can't see the truth staring them in the face, and us "global warming alarmists".
But global warming IS alarming.
It's happening.
We are causing it.
It's going to get worse.
But, there is something we can do about it.
You notice that the deniers ignore the daily ninety million tons of manmade ghg emissisions, equivalent to 400,000 hiroshima's energy.
SpaceBlues

Houston, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#38656
Aug 30, 2013
 
Mothra wrote:
<quoted text>
All that 'proves' is that there's no "consensus" on hurricane predictions.
LOL
DUH. That means they differ in their techniques or methods.
SpaceBlues

Houston, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#38657
Aug 30, 2013
 
SpaceBlues wrote:
Written as an objection to being included in an anthology of British poetry, as he claimed his identity was Irish, in 1982.
"Be advised my passport's green.
No glass of ours was ever raised
to toast the Queen."
Seamus Heaney
HUH. They have programmed choice icons for any post from me.

Is there an editor in the building?

P.S. Isn't the EU passport cover cranberry color?

Since: Mar 09

Wichita, KS

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#38658
Aug 30, 2013
 

Judged:

2

1

1

kristy wrote:
<quoted text>
You know what's funny. All these climate scientists with PhD's have made such outrageous predictions in the past, it is now coming back to haunt them, so now they just end up arguing against their past predictions. Example, Dr. Viner publicly proclaims snow will be a thing of the past, then when it snows they pretend they never said it and blame it on the skeptics and then start a circular argument with themselves stating how they knew all along they knew snow would increase. They do it with all their predictions.
Look what they just recently said about Antarctic Sea Ice:
Antarctic sea ice extent in mid-August reached a record or near-record level high at 18.7 million square kilometers, according to the National Snow and Ice Data Center External Non-U.S. government site.
The positive growth of total sea ice extent around Antarctica, which averages 18 million square kilometers at the height of winter, is part of a long-term trend and is consistent with how scientists believe climate change affects the southernmost continent.
http://antarcticsun.usap.gov/science/contenth...
Back in 2007, the IPCC said this:
In contrast to the Arctic, there are signs of a slight increase in the extent of annual mean sea ice [in the Antarctic] over the period 1979–2005 (+1.2 per cent per decade) based on the NASA Team retrieval algorithm. The IPCC concluded that this overall increase was not significant and that there are NO CONSISTENT TRENDS trends during the period of satellite observations.
What a bunch of BS.
Of course uneducated people know more than educated folks do....LOL you are so smart....
dont drink the koolaid

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#38659
Aug 30, 2013
 

Judged:

1

1

1

"Once slow moving threat, global warming SPEEDS UP...."

The above premise is false and those who are/have defended it are/were wrong.
The oddest thing though... these same people now deny the experts' conclusion that warming has NOT been speeding up. Their belief in the face of this reality maintains their "faith" that accelerating warming was happening then and is continuing to this day.

Without my participation in these AGW threads I suspect I may not have noticed the nature of this faith-based belief system.

May your faith give you peace of mind.
-koolaid
SpaceBlues

Houston, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#38660
Aug 30, 2013
 
dont drink the koolaid wrote:
"Once slow moving threat, global warming SPEEDS UP...."
The above premise is false and those who are/have defended it are/were wrong.
The oddest thing though... these same people now deny the experts' conclusion that warming has NOT been speeding up. Their belief in the face of this reality maintains their "faith" that accelerating warming was happening then and is continuing to this day.
Without my participation in these AGW threads I suspect I may not have noticed the nature of this faith-based belief system.
May your faith give you peace of mind.
-koolaid
You are drinking again. How's your health? Get a checkup.

Hope you have insurance.
SpaceBlues

Houston, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#38661
Aug 30, 2013
 

Judged:

1

AlgoreTheTinFoilHatter wrote:
Anthropogenic Global Warming (AGW) is a theory (hypothesis). It is an
unproven theory. What you do with theories is put them to the test with
scientific observations. Let's see what data points we now have:
1) Average annual temperatures have not surpassed 1998 (NOAA)
(University of Alabama)
2) Average annual temperatures are now trending downward since 1998
(NOAA)(University of Alabama)
3) Ocean temperatures have not risen since 2000 when the 3000 Argo buoys
were launched. The buoys even show a slight decrease in ocean temperatures
4) The Arctic ice froze to February levels by December 07, there are 1mm
more sq km than before (previous was 13mm sq km)
5) The Arctic ice is 20cm thicker than "normal" (whatever that is)
6) All polar bear pods are stable or growing (NOAA/PBS)
7) Mount Kilimanjaro is not melting because of global warming, rather
"sublimation"
8) The Antarctic is not "melting", it is growing in most places, the
sloughing off at the edges is normal as the ice mass grows
9) The majority of the Antarctic is 8 degrees below "normal" (again,
whatever that is)
10) The coveted .7 degree rise in temperatures over the last 100 years
has been wiped out with last years below "normal" temperatures (NOAA
coolest winter since 2001)
11) Al Gores film was just deemed "propaganda" in a court of law in the
UK as many points could not be substantiated by scientists
12) It was also just reveled that some of the footage in Als film was
CGI. The ice shelf collapse was from the movie The Day After Tomorrow (ABC)
13) One of the scientists that originally thought that CO2 preceded the
warming has now found with new data that the CO2 rise follows the
warming (Dr David Evans)
14) August 2008 was the first time since 1913 there were no sun spots.
15) The Medieval Warm Period was warmer than the 20th century (no SUVs)
16) Many scientists are now predicting 30 years of cooling.
17) The greenhouse effect is real, our small contribution to it cannot
even be measured
18) Several publications, including those that are warmist have recently
written that the natural cycles of the earth may mask AGW. Give me a break.
Why don't you make corrections to your post?[I'm assuming you might have learned a little in the past five years.]
SpaceBlues

Houston, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#38662
Aug 30, 2013
 
dont drink the koolaid wrote:
"Once slow moving threat, global warming SPEEDS UP...."
The above premise is false and those who are/have defended it are/were wrong.
The oddest thing though... these same people now deny the experts' conclusion that warming has NOT been speeding up. Their belief in the face of this reality maintains their "faith" that accelerating warming was happening then and is continuing to this day.
Without my participation in these AGW threads I suspect I may not have noticed the nature of this faith-based belief system.
May your faith give you peace of mind.
-koolaid
Read this carefully, it should help you:

[T]he first decade of the 21st century was the hottest based on records kept since the 1880s -- and it included record heat waves in Russia and the US as well as a precipitous meltdown of Arctic sea ice and surging sea level rise. Atmospheric concentrations of CO2 touched 400 parts per million on Mauna Loa in May, a first in the time line of human existence. A cooler Pacific stuck in a La Niña rut may have restrained global warming for the past decade or so, Xie notes, but it is unlikely to last. "This effect of natural variability will be averaged out over a period of 100 years," he says, "and cannot argue away the threat of persistent anthropogenic warming that is occurring now."[scientific american]
No Warming

Waverly, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#38663
Aug 30, 2013
 

Judged:

3

3

3

dont drink the koolaid wrote:
"Once slow moving threat, global warming SPEEDS UP...."
The above premise is false and those who are/have defended it are/were wrong.
The oddest thing though... these same people now deny the experts' conclusion that warming has NOT been speeding up. Their belief in the face of this reality maintains their "faith" that accelerating warming was happening then and is continuing to this day.
Without my participation in these AGW threads I suspect I may not have noticed the nature of this faith-based belief system.
May your faith give you peace of mind.
-koolaid
The warming gods will impose punitive action on heretics like you. Be prepared to hand over your savings AND your first born son for that comment.
dont drink the koolaid

Minneapolis, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#38664
Aug 30, 2013
 

Judged:

3

3

3

SpaceBlues wrote:
<quoted text>You are drinking again. How's your health? Get a checkup.
Hope you have insurance.
Is that it?
First sentence: non sequitur
Second sentence: Fine thank you for asking, Mr. Blues.
Third and forth sentence: humor?
Fifth sentence: convincing counterpoint which supports the idea that there is such a thing as CAGW!!!
dont drink the koolaid

Minneapolis, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#38665
Aug 30, 2013
 

Judged:

2

2

2

SpaceBlues wrote:
<quoted text>Read this carefully, it should help you:
[T]he first decade of the 21st century was the hottest based on records kept since the 1880s -- and it included record heat waves in Russia and the US as well as a precipitous meltdown of Arctic sea ice and surging sea level rise. Atmospheric concentrations of CO2 touched 400 parts per million on Mauna Loa in May, a first in the time line of human existence. A cooler Pacific stuck in a La Niña rut may have restrained global warming for the past decade or so, Xie notes, but it is unlikely to last. "This effect of natural variability will be averaged out over a period of 100 years," he says, "and cannot argue away the threat of persistent anthropogenic warming that is occurring now."[scientific american]
Oh my.
Thank you so much!
Yes, your "Cut 'n Paste"' is EXTREMELY helpful.
gcaveman1

Bay Springs, MS

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#38666
Aug 30, 2013
 

Judged:

1

1

1

kristy wrote:
<quoted text>
You know what's funny.
What a bunch of BS.
You know what's funny? YOU!
What a bunch of BS, the stuff you spout, trying to distract from the reality.

The Earth IS warming.

WE are the reason.

It's going to get worse.

There are things we can do about it.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

81 Users are viewing the Chicago Forum right now

Search the Chicago Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 3 min Grey Ghost 1,080,070
Israeli troops begin Gaza pullout as Hamas decl... (Jan '09) 27 min Taeb 67,948
BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting... (Jan '09) 34 min LRS 174,635
How to install windows 8 44 min Its a POS-Dont Bother 2
Ask Amy July 25, 2014 44 min Shari23 5
People Can ‘Protect Themselves From an Overly A... 47 min ShootThePompousGovPeeps 3
Abby July 25, 2014 50 min Shari23 9
Topix Chitown Regulars (Aug '09) 2 hr Sublime1 97,539
Amy 7-24 5 hr Mister Tonka 24
Abby 7-24 18 hr Pippa 42
•••
•••
•••

Chicago Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••

Chicago People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••

Chicago News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Chicago
•••

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]
•••