Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds up, leaving litt...

Full story: Newsday

When Bill Clinton took office in 1993, global warming was a slow-moving environmental problem that was easy to ignore.

Comments (Page 1,816)

Showing posts 36,301 - 36,320 of45,549
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
No Warming

Waverly, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#38626
Aug 29, 2013
 

Judged:

1

1

1

The Integral wrote:
<quoted text>
You should look at this graph very carefully:
http://data.giss.nasa.gov/gistemp/graphs_v3/F...
As you can see there are periods of temperature increase and temperature decrease. To say that the period of temperature decrease in the 50s meant an end to global warming is absurd.
It is the physical properties of CO2 that drives the scientific consensus. It isn't going to go away.
Based on the IPCC goal of limiting warming to 2C this century the graph indicates we're under the limit. Obviously 2C per 100 years averages .2 per decade, there's only one 10 year period that happened, indicated in that graph.

It also shows the current pause, with the 5 year average line you can see its been over 12 years. It'll take some extremely warm years, and soon, for that graph to indicate 2C warming this century.
Mothra

Phoenix, AZ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#38627
Aug 29, 2013
 

Judged:

1

1

1

SpaceBlues wrote:
<quoted text>HEADLINE
Preparations for the Fifth Assessment Report (AR5) enter final stage
The Fifth Assessment Report (AR5) will provide an update of knowledge on the scientific, technical and socio-economic aspects of climate change. It will be composed of three working group reports and a Synthesis Report (SYR). The outline and content can be found in the AR5 reference document and SYR Scoping document.
The Working Group (WG) Reports and Synthesis Report will be completed in 2013/2014:
WG I: The Physical Science Basis
23-26 September 2013, Stockholm, Sweden
WG II: Impacts, Adaptation and Vulnerability
25-29 March 2014, Yokohama, Japan
WG III: Mitigation of Climate Change
7-11 April 2014, Berlin, Germany
AR5 Synthesis Report (SYR)
27-31 October 2014, Copenhagen, Denmark
More than 830 authors are involved in writing the reports. Several sets of Lead Author meetings have been held and the expert review of the Working Group contributions has been completed. The IPCC is now in the final stages of the review process.
http://www.ipcc.ch/
A big whoopdy-doo.
kristy

Oviedo, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#38628
Aug 29, 2013
 

Judged:

2

2

2

The Integral wrote:
<quoted text>
You should look at this graph very carefully:
http://data.giss.nasa.gov/gistemp/graphs_v3/F...
As you can see there are periods of temperature increase and temperature decrease. To say that the period of temperature decrease in the 50s meant an end to global warming is absurd.
It is the physical properties of CO2 that drives the scientific consensus. It isn't going to go away.
Again, to you I say, no one is disputing the warming. We came out of the Little Ice Age and as Fun Facts stated in an earlier post the last half of the 20th century is now being considered the Modern Solar Maximum. It was at the highest levels recorded in the last 400 years and in the top 10% of all activity reconstructed with proxy data during the Holocene and the PDO was in the warming phase the last 30 years. So of course the trend has been up.

But here we are at a standstill and now papers are coming out saying it's the 30-year cooling phase of the PDO causing the standstill. But you have to ask yourself if the cooling phase of PDO is causing the standstill and it could even cause some cooling, only time will tell, wouldn't that mean that the warming phase of the PDO caused most of the warmth combined with the sun in the late 20th century? I mean the PDO doesn't go dormant in the warming phase and tell CO2 to take over heating up the planet does it? The warming hasn't been near what the climate models have been so all over the place and revised and no model has predicted the 15 year standstill and that would be because they have overestimated the CO2, underestimated the PDO and the sun.

Hypothetically, if temperatures trend down in the next 2 decades, what would you think at that point?
kristy

Oviedo, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#38629
Aug 29, 2013
 

Judged:

1

1

1

SpaceBlues wrote:
<quoted text>HEADLINE
Preparations for the Fifth Assessment Report (AR5) enter final stage
The Fifth Assessment Report (AR5) will provide an update of knowledge on the scientific, technical and socio-economic aspects of climate change. It will be composed of three working group reports and a Synthesis Report (SYR). The outline and content can be found in the AR5 reference document and SYR Scoping document.
The Working Group (WG) Reports and Synthesis Report will be completed in 2013/2014:
WG I: The Physical Science Basis
23-26 September 2013, Stockholm, Sweden
WG II: Impacts, Adaptation and Vulnerability
25-29 March 2014, Yokohama, Japan
WG III: Mitigation of Climate Change
7-11 April 2014, Berlin, Germany
AR5 Synthesis Report (SYR)
27-31 October 2014, Copenhagen, Denmark
More than 830 authors are involved in writing the reports. Several sets of Lead Author meetings have been held and the expert review of the Working Group contributions has been completed. The IPCC is now in the final stages of the review process.
http://www.ipcc.ch/
And it's already out of date.
SpaceBlues

Houston, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#38630
Aug 29, 2013
 

Judged:

1

1

1

Mothra wrote:
<quoted text>
A big whoopdy-doo.
The denier goose is cooked, well done.
SpaceBlues

Houston, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#38631
Aug 29, 2013
 

Judged:

1

1

1

Hey deniers, 90 million tons of ghg emissions daily are equivalent to 400,000 Hiroshima's energy. All your whine ignores this!

Your goose is cooked, well done.
SpaceBlues

Houston, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#38632
Aug 29, 2013
 

Judged:

1

1

1

kristy wrote:
<quoted text>
And it's already out of date.
You are DENSE.

P.S. The whole world knows you know no science. Or any expertise to speak of.
kristy

Oviedo, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#38633
Aug 29, 2013
 

Judged:

1

1

1

Patriot AKA Bozo wrote:
More on oil shale.
http://peakoilmatters.com/2010/01/25/a-brief-...
Not gonna solve our energy problems....
So not trying to find ways to extract the oil will solve our energy problems? Doing away with fossil fuels will solve our energy problems how?
SpaceBlues

Houston, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#38634
Aug 29, 2013
 

Judged:

1

1

1

The planetary problem is the climate change caused by humans' fossil fuel usage.
gcaveman1

Louin, MS

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#38635
Aug 29, 2013
 

Judged:

1

1

1

kristy wrote:
<quoted text>

You said we don't have enough oil in the ground. Where did you get that information?
A recent report by the U.S. Government Accountability Office estimated that if half of the oil bound up in the rock of the Green River Formation could be recovered it would be "equal to the entire world's proven oil reserves." Both the GAO and private industry estimate the amount of oil recoverable to be 3 trillion barrels. "In the past 100 years — in all of human history -- we have consumed 1 trillion barrels of oil. There are several times that much here," said Roger Day, vice president for operations for American Shale Oil (AMSO).
http://abcnews.go.com/Business/american-oil-f...
Running from Los Angeles to San Francisco, California's Monterey Shale is thought to contain more oil than North Dakota's Bakken and Texas's Eagle Ford -- both scenes of an oil boom that's created thousands of jobs and boosted U.S. oil production to the highest rate in over a decade. In fact, the Monterey is thought to hold over 400 billion barrels of oil, according to IHS Cambridge Energy Research Associates. That's nearly half the conventional oil in all of Saudi Arabia. The United States consumes about 19 million barrels of oil a day. "Four hundred billion barrels, that doesn't escape anyone in this businesses," said Stephen Trammel, energy research director at IHS.
http://money.cnn.com/2013/01/14/news/economy/...
These are just a few sites where huge amounts of oil have been found. There are many more we are sitting on. We could become energy independent and then not have to depend on the Middle East and all their turmoil and instead of energy prices increasing, they would decrease.
By the way, gas prices yesterday here 3.35, today 3.49.
If the oil can be recovered. If a bullfrog had wings, it wouldn't bump its ass all the time.

What would you expect oil guys to say?

Anybody can pull figures out of the air, out of their ass, or out of their camel saddlebags.

Gas is still $3.299 here.
JBH

Richmond, Canada

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#38636
Aug 30, 2013
 

Judged:

1

1

1

+++++

U.S., U.K. Face Delays on Syria
Full story: Wall Street Journal
Free Syrian Army fighters carry their weapons as they escort a convoy of U.N. vehicles carrying a team of chemical-weapons experts at one of the sites of an alleged attack in Damascus's suburbs of Zamalka on Wednesday.

+++++===

Isn't that a joke of the above report, as Obama said the red line a long time ago, that he would have acted to strike Syria then at that TIME?

Why wait for so long for making up a justification at this time?
WHAT IS THE DELAY THEN that Obama has to wait for so long? Is Obama taking the world, as US versus the world that Obama would try to move on Syria to do whatever?
The fact is US is down-rated by just talking about chemical weapons, while Obama adds on making the downer, poorer image from former Bush as he does not make it any better but worse.

Look for US destruction before it comes and Obama's suffering any time as he started his red line calling.

Look for more disasters of US if Obama would strike Syria, in addition to Obama's further suffering.
JBH

Richmond, Canada

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#38637
Aug 30, 2013
 
Is there any difference by making change from Bush that Obama blamed on the Iraq case?
Obama has not done any good of US image but has made it more troublesome.
OBAMA SO FAR, HAS CAUSED EVERYTHING TO BE SO BAD that US is in a condition worse than that of Bush period, since Obama does no change but the same wrong foreign policies as Bush clone-mold.
People never elected a new man but the same and old worsened Bush.

HIS ANY DOING ON SYRIA WILL BE TOO DESTRUCTIVE TO US AND HIMSELF.
HE CAN'T FIND ONE SOUL WHO IS WITH HIM ON HIS VIEW ABOUT SYRIA.

For on thing, Obama's saying of "mission accomplished" indicates his support of what Bush has done. "Mission accomplished" is the enormous US costs and burden of resources wasted uselessly and wrongly in addition to making US bad image on world stage and so many 5000 military lives lost and over 10,000 wounded-being handicapped coming back, as one out of three US suicides is from Iraq veterans.

Obama has not done one single thing on the economy.

The US people are suffering because Obama has used a lot of Patriot Act, snooping and spying on US people through big brother suppression of them.

Obama stands against those people who elected and supported him by abusing their civil rights and liberty freedom and working against them in everything. Obama is not doing what they say and want, as the example on Syria where great majority of people don't want to mess Syria, to lie to them to betray their wishes, yet people are also dumping Obama.

It is a false economy as there are lots who can't have anything on work, that at least 60 millions of people cannot feed themselves and families. More than 40 millions people live in the third world standard, with plugged-up toilets, run-down houses with barely any electricity, in New Orleans, East LA, Baltimore, Philadelphia, and so on.

Yet, Obama takes their money to go with companies which go other places, so as not to give them employment.
That is why too many are sad and suffering in US as Obama has destructed them too much.

But, there are just too much rubbish trash from US, who never know and wake up to the awareness, at the same time.

OBAMA IS NO WAY POSSIBLE BECAUSE HE IS FACING THE ENORMOUS stumbling blocks of people against him, and BIG, TURBULENT WINDS PROPELLING against HIM.

Further more, UN ALREADY HAS A BAD AND NEGATIVE IMAGE. UN would be demolished If UN lets Obama violate anything. UN has not yet answered the former case of US with Bush doing wrongly on Iraq war. If US would act alone on Syria, the consequences of UN will be extremely gloomy.
What is the point of having UN as If it is doing all wrong and evil things?
What is the point of having US in UN if US is always breaking the rules and coming up with falsified business, like the chemical weapons subject on Syria?
Unless US is not a country on the planet, where it is going to end up as, that Obama is a one-person show alone, to think according to how he thinks as ?
US is being like former Hitler, as the whole Germany went down because of one man Hitler, that the entire US is going down because of one person Obama doing very badly on Syria alone.

Since: Mar 09

Wichita, KS

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#38638
Aug 30, 2013
 

Judged:

1

1

kristy wrote:
<quoted text>
So not trying to find ways to extract the oil will solve our energy problems? Doing away with fossil fuels will solve our energy problems how?
It is not finding ways to extract the oil that is the problem. The problem is to do it economically. Who is advocating doing away with fossil fuels right now? Not I. But we do need to find new ways to get our energy that does not poison the planet. You are so reactionary.

Since: Mar 09

Wichita, KS

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#38639
Aug 30, 2013
 
kristy wrote:
<quoted text>
How many times do I have to say I agree it is warmer? DUHHH. No one is arguing that point. The point, is that AGW science says warming will happen at an alarming rate because of an increase in CO2 and terrible, terrible things will happen. Here are some of the things that have been botched:
Surprise, Antarctic ice not melting, actually increasing.
Himalayan glaciers won’t be gone by 2035, in fact about half of the volume of the Himalayan glaciers is actually growing.
Surprise, 30% less ice melting from glaciers, ice caps, and mountaintops.
Climate models never predicted a standstill for 15 years.
Surprise….mysterious drop in water vapor in the stratosphere.
Surprise the oceans have a bigger effect on temperatures than thought.
No increase in hurricanes, tornadoes, droughts, fires, extreme weather.
Snow was thought to be a thing of the past.
Now we just have roving hot spots and roving rain, which is really just weather, so not sure how any one region can have a change in climate if these hot spots are just randomly moving around.
CO2 at worst case scenario, but temperatures at a standstill.
Climate sensitivity less than thought.
The seas are not rising at an alarming rate.
The Arctic still isn't ice free, even though it was predicted by NASA that the Arctic would be mostly ice free this year, which in fact was the shortest melt season on record for the Arctic.
Most of this is purely gibberish. Who thought snow was a thing of the past? What would you consider to be alarming? That is simply a buzz word used by the deniers along with religion because there is nothing scientifically to support their denial. If any position would be like a religion it would be the denier's because they have no scienct to base their belief upon.

Antarctica gaining ice?
http://www.sciencemag.org/content/338/6111/11...

Of course many glaciers are melting more slowing. Some have melted intirely...

But at least you agree that it is warmer, and staying that way.
gcaveman1

Bay Springs, MS

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#38640
Aug 30, 2013
 
Patriot AKA Bozo wrote:
<quoted text>
Most of this is purely gibberish. Who thought snow was a thing of the past? What would you consider to be alarming? That is simply a buzz word used by the deniers along with religion because there is nothing scientifically to support their denial. If any position would be like a religion it would be the denier's because they have no scienct to base their belief upon.
Antarctica gaining ice?
http://www.sciencemag.org/content/338/6111/11...
Of course many glaciers are melting more slowing. Some have melted intirely...
But at least you agree that it is warmer, and staying that way.
They can wear you out.

krusty throws out a Gish Gallop full of falsehoods, generalizations, and simplistic explanations that would take a few hours to refute with quotes and citations from the real science. And in the end, it would do no good. It would be ignored. Or more falsehoods and distractions would come in her replies, leading to more refutations that ultimately would also do no good.

But she has nothing else to do. In fact, this is probably her work-from-home job. I'm guessing she's a Koch sucker.
Fun Facts

Las Cruces, NM

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#38641
Aug 30, 2013
 

Judged:

3

3

3

gcaveman1 wrote:
<quoted text>
They can wear you out.
krusty throws out a Gish Gallop full of falsehoods, generalizations, and simplistic explanations that would take a few hours to refute with quotes and citations from the real science. And in the end, it would do no good. It would be ignored. Or more falsehoods and distractions would come in her replies, leading to more refutations that ultimately would also do no good.
But she has nothing else to do. In fact, this is probably her work-from-home job. I'm guessing she's a Koch sucker.
LOL

Does Kristy 'wear you out'? What is it, the fact that she posts information from real science and you don't have what it takes to read the material?

So you denigrate her with simplistic statements that have no value to the science being discussed. Then smear her with your base level of understanding of human kind.

I guess it's not a laughing matter, in reality, it's actually quite sad.
Fun Facts

Las Cruces, NM

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#38643
Aug 30, 2013
 

Judged:

3

3

3

Patriot AKA Bozo wrote:
<quoted text>
Most of this is purely gibberish. Who thought snow was a thing of the past? What would you consider to be alarming? That is simply a buzz word used by the deniers along with religion because there is nothing scientifically to support their denial. If any position would be like a religion it would be the denier's because they have no scienct to base their belief upon.
Antarctica gaining ice?
http://www.sciencemag.org/content/338/6111/11...
Of course many glaciers are melting more slowing. Some have melted intirely...
But at least you agree that it is warmer, and staying that way.
http://joannenova.com.au/2013/04/antarctica-g...

Those who do not learn from history are doomed to repeat it.
LessHypeMoreFact

Toronto, Canada

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#38644
Aug 30, 2013
 
Fun Facts wrote:
<quoted text>
LOL
Does Kristy 'wear you out'?
There is a phrase that fits her perfectly. "bullshit baffles brains".

IT means that idiots like her can produce more garbage in one minute than a PHd can 'rebut' in an hour. And that is what she does.

BUT the fact is that the PHd CAN rebut every bit of silliness and bullshit she produces.

Same with you..

“Let's X Change!!”

Since: Feb 09

B4 HOPE Is Gone...

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#38645
Aug 30, 2013
 

Judged:

2

2

2

LessHypeMoreFact wrote:
<quoted text>
There is a phrase that fits her perfectly. "bullshit baffles brains".
IT means that idiots like her can produce more garbage in one minute than a PHd can 'rebut' in an hour. And that is what she does.
BUT the fact is that the PHd CAN rebut every bit of silliness and bullshit she produces.
Same with you..
i take it your not a PhD.
gcaveman1

Bay Springs, MS

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#38646
Aug 30, 2013
 

Judged:

4

4

4

Fun Facts wrote:
<quoted text>
LOL
Does Kristy 'wear you out'? What is it, the fact that she posts information from real science and you don't have what it takes to read the material?
So you denigrate her with simplistic statements that have no value to the science being discussed. Then smear her with your base level of understanding of human kind.
I guess it's not a laughing matter, in reality, it's actually quite sad.
It's the game of whack-a-mole she plays that wears me out.

We can refute and disprove her posts all day long; like I said, it won't make any difference. It's her job.

There are no fence-sitters coming to this thread. There are no true skeptics. There's only fossil fuel shills, those with such a strong psychological defect that they can't see the truth staring them in the face, and us "global warming alarmists".

But global warming IS alarming.
It's happening.
We are causing it.
It's going to get worse.
But, there is something we can do about it.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 36,301 - 36,320 of45,549
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

19 Users are viewing the Chicago Forum right now

Search the Chicago Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 51 min THE DEBIL 1,072,825
Make 1000$ instantly 2 hr generalwon1 1
Ill. House Approves Legalizing Same-Sex Civil U... (Dec '10) 3 hr Obama Suks 48,696
Last word + 2 (Mar '12) 3 hr andet1987 407
Topix Chitown Regulars (Aug '09) 4 hr Midlothian Composer 97,454
BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting... (Jan '09) 4 hr LRS 173,742
Evergreen Park Man Facing Charges In South Side... 5 hr wow 1
•••

Flood Warning for Cook County was issued at July 12 at 8:58PM CDT

•••
•••
•••
•••

Chicago Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••

Chicago People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••

Chicago News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Chicago
•••

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]
•••