Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds up, leaving litt...

Full story: Newsday 49,375
When Bill Clinton took office in 1993, global warming was a slow-moving environmental problem that was easy to ignore. Full Story
Mothra

Phoenix, AZ

#38651 Aug 30, 2013
ritedownthemiddle wrote:
<quoted text>i take it your not a PhD.
Not so sure myself... if PhD is for "Piled higher and Deeper".
Mothra

Phoenix, AZ

#38652 Aug 30, 2013
ritedownthemiddle wrote:
Poetic justice!
Another "facial" served up to the whacked out alarmist hysteria.
http://mobile.bloomberg.com/news/2013-08-30/n...
Heeheehee
All that 'proves' is that there's no "consensus" on hurricane predictions.

LOL
SpaceBlues

Houston, TX

#38653 Aug 30, 2013
Written as an objection to being included in an anthology of British poetry, as he claimed his identity was Irish, in 1982.

"Be advised my passport's green.

No glass of ours was ever raised

to toast the Queen."

Seamus Heaney
kristy

Oviedo, FL

#38654 Aug 30, 2013
Fun Facts wrote:
<quoted text>
LOL
Does Kristy 'wear you out'? What is it, the fact that she posts information from real science and you don't have what it takes to read the material?
So you denigrate her with simplistic statements that have no value to the science being discussed. Then smear her with your base level of understanding of human kind.
I guess it's not a laughing matter, in reality, it's actually quite sad.
You know what's funny. All these climate scientists with PhD's have made such outrageous predictions in the past, it is now coming back to haunt them, so now they just end up arguing against their past predictions. Example, Dr. Viner publicly proclaims snow will be a thing of the past, then when it snows they pretend they never said it and blame it on the skeptics and then start a circular argument with themselves stating how they knew all along they knew snow would increase. They do it with all their predictions.

Look what they just recently said about Antarctic Sea Ice:

Antarctic sea ice extent in mid-August reached a record or near-record level high at 18.7 million square kilometers, according to the National Snow and Ice Data Center External Non-U.S. government site.

The positive growth of total sea ice extent around Antarctica, which averages 18 million square kilometers at the height of winter, is part of a long-term trend and is consistent with how scientists believe climate change affects the southernmost continent.

http://antarcticsun.usap.gov/science/contenth...

Back in 2007, the IPCC said this:

In contrast to the Arctic, there are signs of a slight increase in the extent of annual mean sea ice [in the Antarctic] over the period 1979–2005 (+1.2 per cent per decade) based on the NASA Team retrieval algorithm. The IPCC concluded that this overall increase was not significant and that there are NO CONSISTENT TRENDS trends during the period of satellite observations.

What a bunch of BS.
SpaceBlues

Houston, TX

#38655 Aug 30, 2013
gcaveman1 wrote:
<quoted text>
It's the game of whack-a-mole she plays that wears me out.
We can refute and disprove her posts all day long; like I said, it won't make any difference. It's her job.
There are no fence-sitters coming to this thread. There are no true skeptics. There's only fossil fuel shills, those with such a strong psychological defect that they can't see the truth staring them in the face, and us "global warming alarmists".
But global warming IS alarming.
It's happening.
We are causing it.
It's going to get worse.
But, there is something we can do about it.
You notice that the deniers ignore the daily ninety million tons of manmade ghg emissisions, equivalent to 400,000 hiroshima's energy.
SpaceBlues

Houston, TX

#38656 Aug 30, 2013
Mothra wrote:
<quoted text>
All that 'proves' is that there's no "consensus" on hurricane predictions.
LOL
DUH. That means they differ in their techniques or methods.
SpaceBlues

Houston, TX

#38657 Aug 30, 2013
SpaceBlues wrote:
Written as an objection to being included in an anthology of British poetry, as he claimed his identity was Irish, in 1982.
"Be advised my passport's green.
No glass of ours was ever raised
to toast the Queen."
Seamus Heaney
HUH. They have programmed choice icons for any post from me.

Is there an editor in the building?

P.S. Isn't the EU passport cover cranberry color?

Since: Mar 09

Wichita, KS

#38658 Aug 30, 2013
kristy wrote:
<quoted text>
You know what's funny. All these climate scientists with PhD's have made such outrageous predictions in the past, it is now coming back to haunt them, so now they just end up arguing against their past predictions. Example, Dr. Viner publicly proclaims snow will be a thing of the past, then when it snows they pretend they never said it and blame it on the skeptics and then start a circular argument with themselves stating how they knew all along they knew snow would increase. They do it with all their predictions.
Look what they just recently said about Antarctic Sea Ice:
Antarctic sea ice extent in mid-August reached a record or near-record level high at 18.7 million square kilometers, according to the National Snow and Ice Data Center External Non-U.S. government site.
The positive growth of total sea ice extent around Antarctica, which averages 18 million square kilometers at the height of winter, is part of a long-term trend and is consistent with how scientists believe climate change affects the southernmost continent.
http://antarcticsun.usap.gov/science/contenth...
Back in 2007, the IPCC said this:
In contrast to the Arctic, there are signs of a slight increase in the extent of annual mean sea ice [in the Antarctic] over the period 1979–2005 (+1.2 per cent per decade) based on the NASA Team retrieval algorithm. The IPCC concluded that this overall increase was not significant and that there are NO CONSISTENT TRENDS trends during the period of satellite observations.
What a bunch of BS.
Of course uneducated people know more than educated folks do....LOL you are so smart....
dont drink the koolaid

Minneapolis, MN

#38659 Aug 30, 2013
"Once slow moving threat, global warming SPEEDS UP...."

The above premise is false and those who are/have defended it are/were wrong.
The oddest thing though... these same people now deny the experts' conclusion that warming has NOT been speeding up. Their belief in the face of this reality maintains their "faith" that accelerating warming was happening then and is continuing to this day.

Without my participation in these AGW threads I suspect I may not have noticed the nature of this faith-based belief system.

May your faith give you peace of mind.
-koolaid
SpaceBlues

Houston, TX

#38660 Aug 30, 2013
dont drink the koolaid wrote:
The oddest thing though... these same people now deny the experts' conclusion that warming has NOT been speeding up. Their belief in the face of this reality maintains their "faith" that accelerating warming was happening then and is continuing to this day.
Without my participation in these AGW threads I suspect I may not have noticed the nature of this faith-based belief system.
-koolaid
You are drinking again. How's your health? Get a checkup.

Hope you have insurance.
SpaceBlues

Houston, TX

#38661 Aug 30, 2013
AlgoreTheTinFoilHatter wrote:
Anthropogenic Global Warming (AGW) is a theory (hypothesis). It is an
unproven theory. What you do with theories is put them to the test with
scientific observations. Let's see what data points we now have:
1) Average annual temperatures have not surpassed 1998 (NOAA)
(University of Alabama)
2) Average annual temperatures are now trending downward since 1998
(NOAA)(University of Alabama)
3) Ocean temperatures have not risen since 2000 when the 3000 Argo buoys
were launched. The buoys even show a slight decrease in ocean temperatures
4) The Arctic ice froze to February levels by December 07, there are 1mm
more sq km than before (previous was 13mm sq km)
5) The Arctic ice is 20cm thicker than "normal" (whatever that is)
6) All polar bear pods are stable or growing (NOAA/PBS)
7) Mount Kilimanjaro is not melting because of global warming, rather
"sublimation"
8) The Antarctic is not "melting", it is growing in most places, the
sloughing off at the edges is normal as the ice mass grows
9) The majority of the Antarctic is 8 degrees below "normal" (again,
whatever that is)
10) The coveted .7 degree rise in temperatures over the last 100 years
has been wiped out with last years below "normal" temperatures (NOAA
coolest winter since 2001)
11) Al Gores film was just deemed "propaganda" in a court of law in the
UK as many points could not be substantiated by scientists
12) It was also just reveled that some of the footage in Als film was
CGI. The ice shelf collapse was from the movie The Day After Tomorrow (ABC)
13) One of the scientists that originally thought that CO2 preceded the
warming has now found with new data that the CO2 rise follows the
warming (Dr David Evans)
14) August 2008 was the first time since 1913 there were no sun spots.
15) The Medieval Warm Period was warmer than the 20th century (no SUVs)
16) Many scientists are now predicting 30 years of cooling.
17) The greenhouse effect is real, our small contribution to it cannot
even be measured
18) Several publications, including those that are warmist have recently
written that the natural cycles of the earth may mask AGW. Give me a break.
Why don't you make corrections to your post?[I'm assuming you might have learned a little in the past five years.]
SpaceBlues

Houston, TX

#38662 Aug 30, 2013
-koolaid
Read this carefully, it should help you:

[T]he first decade of the 21st century was the hottest based on records kept since the 1880s -- and it included record heat waves in Russia and the US as well as a precipitous meltdown of Arctic sea ice and surging sea level rise. Atmospheric concentrations of CO2 touched 400 parts per million on Mauna Loa in May, a first in the time line of human existence. A cooler Pacific stuck in a La Niña rut may have restrained global warming for the past decade or so, Xie notes, but it is unlikely to last. "This effect of natural variability will be averaged out over a period of 100 years," he says, "and cannot argue away the threat of persistent anthropogenic warming that is occurring now."[scientific american]
No Warming

Waverly, OH

#38663 Aug 30, 2013
-koolaid
The warming gods will impose punitive action on heretics like you. Be prepared to hand over your savings AND your first born son for that comment.
dont drink the koolaid

Minneapolis, MN

#38664 Aug 30, 2013
SpaceBlues wrote:
<quoted text>You are drinking again. How's your health? Get a checkup.
Hope you have insurance.
Is that it?
First sentence: non sequitur
Second sentence: Fine thank you for asking, Mr. Blues.
Third and forth sentence: humor?
Fifth sentence: convincing counterpoint which supports the idea that there is such a thing as CAGW!!!
dont drink the koolaid

Minneapolis, MN

#38665 Aug 30, 2013
SpaceBlues wrote:
<quoted text>Read this carefully, it should help you:
[T]he first decade of the 21st century was the hottest based on records kept since the 1880s -- and it included record heat waves in Russia and the US as well as a precipitous meltdown of Arctic sea ice and surging sea level rise. Atmospheric concentrations of CO2 touched 400 parts per million on Mauna Loa in May, a first in the time line of human existence. A cooler Pacific stuck in a La Niña rut may have restrained global warming for the past decade or so, Xie notes, but it is unlikely to last. "This effect of natural variability will be averaged out over a period of 100 years," he says, "and cannot argue away the threat of persistent anthropogenic warming that is occurring now."[scientific american]
Oh my.
Thank you so much!
Yes, your "Cut 'n Paste"' is EXTREMELY helpful.
gcaveman1

Bay Springs, MS

#38666 Aug 30, 2013
kristy wrote:
<quoted text>
You know what's funny.
What a bunch of BS.
You know what's funny? YOU!
What a bunch of BS, the stuff you spout, trying to distract from the reality.

The Earth IS warming.

WE are the reason.

It's going to get worse.

There are things we can do about it.
No Warming

Waverly, OH

#38667 Aug 30, 2013
<quoted text>
Is that it?
Fifth sentence: convincing counterpoint which supports the idea that there is such a thing as CAGW!!!
Strike two ... questioning the enthusiasm of an alarmist. You'll burn in hell before the nights over at this rate.
SpaceBlues

Houston, TX

#38668 Aug 30, 2013
<quoted text>
Is that it?
Fifth sentence? There is no fifth sentence. You here confirm that you are drinking.

I wonder how you are because you cannot even count. You referred to five sentences of mine when there are only four.

Since: Apr 08

"the green troll"

#38669 Aug 30, 2013
kristy wrote:
LOL...so sorry I'm wearing all of you out.
Tiresome is not a virtue.

Since: Jul 13

Neptune, NJ

#38670 Aug 30, 2013
kristy wrote:
<quoted text>
How many times do I have to say I agree it is warmer? DUHHH. No one is arguing that point. The point, is that AGW science says warming will happen at an alarming rate because of an increase in CO2 and terrible, terrible things will happen. Here are some of the things that have been botched:
Surprise, Antarctic ice not melting, actually increasing.
Himalayan glaciers won’t be gone by 2035, in fact about half of the volume of the Himalayan glaciers is actually growing.
Surprise, 30% less ice melting from glaciers, ice caps, and mountaintops.
Surprise, 30% less ice melting from glaciers, ice caps, and mountaintops.
Climate models never predicted a standstill for 15 years.
Surprise….mysterious drop in water vapor in the stratosphere.
Surprise the oceans have a bigger effect on temperatures than thought.
No increase in hurricanes, tornadoes, droughts, fires, extreme weather.
Snow was thought to be a thing of the past.
Now we just have roving hot spots and roving rain, which is really just weather, so not sure how any one region can have a change in climate if these hot spots are just randomly moving around.
CO2 at worst case scenario, but temperatures at a standstill.
Climate sensitivity less than thought.
The seas are not rising at an alarming rate.
The Arctic still isn't ice free, even though it was predicted by NASA that the Arctic would be mostly ice free this year, which in fact was the shortest melt season on record for the Arctic.
Antarctica Ice is staying about the same, the reason for this is well covered in the State of the Climate Report, But, briefly it's say's:
The Antarctica continent is huge, most of the Ice set's on Land, unlike the Sea Ice of the artic. Antarctica is so big it creates an environment of it's own. It is surrounded by a regimen of rotating storms that essentially isolate it from the rest of the world's climate influences. That said, the overall condition of the Antarctica continent is consistent with a warming planet.

The Himalayan glaciers are retreating, not as fast as once predicted, but retreating non the less.

http://blogs.telegraph.co.uk/news/geoffreylea...

In the Artic the U.S. National Snow and Ice Data Center. Shows the summer ice extent has declined by 13% each decade since the ice was first monitored in 1979.

97% of the Greenland Icecap shows sign's of duress (melting).

The lack of or increase in hurricanes, tornadoes, droughts, fires, extreme weather. Does not really concern me.

Temperatures are NOT at a stand still where it counts .. in the Artic ..

The temperature range that we enjoy today, a range that allows us to create habitat's, grow food and survive is a relatively small range. A change of 30 or 40 degrees in any direction would be the end of life as we know it. Tempatures are steadly riseing, including the last fifteen years. Personally I've never heard the phrase "snow is a thing of the past" Why anyone would deny the obvious is beyond me.

I have been to Antarctica, the Artic and every Ocean on the face of the planet as well as most continents.

Last year I sailed a small sailboat North of Canada, talked with other ship Captains, Amateur9846 sailors, fisherman and the local population.

As we sit at our puters and cut&paste bullshit the planet is dying, like Nero did.

Bligh

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Chicago Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 3 min John Galt 1,156,551
BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting... (Jan '09) 4 min Dale 182,235
Messianic Jews say they are persecuted in Israel (Jun '08) 6 min Frijoles 71,297
{keep A word drop A word} (Oct '11) 23 min Hatti_Hollerand 4,926
Chicago police stop black motorists more, ACLU ... 34 min joey 9
Israeli troops begin Gaza pullout as Hamas decl... (Jan '09) 1 hr TRD 68,923
Fight at Navy Pier 2 hr ThejigsANDnigsAll 4
Chicago Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web

Chicago People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Chicago News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Chicago

Personal Finance