Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds up, leaving litt...

Full story: Newsday

When Bill Clinton took office in 1993, global warming was a slow-moving environmental problem that was easy to ignore.

Comments (Page 1,804)

Showing posts 36,061 - 36,080 of43,019
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
kristy

Oviedo, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 23, 2013

Judged:

Fun Facts wrote:
http://hockeyschtick.blogspot. com/2013/05/new-paper-finds-re markable-correlation.html
Does the IPCC even take any of these papers into consideration?

“Let's X Change!!”

Since: Feb 09

B4 HOPE Is Gone...

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 23, 2013

Judged:

Patriot AKA Bozo wrote:
<quoted text>
. We cannot go back to the dirty old days when there were no catalytic converters on cars and stack cleaners on coal fired furnaces.
who is suggesting that?
Lol
You peeps have a flair for the dramatic.
kristy

Oviedo, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 23, 2013

Judged:

gcaveman1 wrote:
<quoted text>
Let me TRY, and I emphasize TRY, to straighten you and the other contrarians out.
Not One Single Climate Model is perfect.
Not One Single Climate Model is chiseled in stone.
Not One Single Climate Model is Fate, boy.(You believe in Fate, boy?)
Climate models are the best estimation of events that could possibly happen. For all their failings, they are pretty damn good. And the information that we have seen lately indicates that they err on the conservative side. Their inaccuracy seems to be in not forecasting the severity already seen and the seriousness of what's coming.
IF...this slowdown in the rate of warming is supposed to be a precursor to a genuine cooling, then I need you to tell me what is reversing a 100+ year trend. Tell us (and back it up) what the models missed that is suddenly causing a reversal of warming.
LOL!!! The Met Office uses AGW climate models in their forecasts. Let's see how that has worked out:

1. Met Office 2008 Forecast: Trend of Mild Winters Continues
Met Office, 25 September 2008: The Met Office forecast for the coming winter suggests it is, once again, likely to be milder than average. It is also likely that the coming winter will be drier than last year.

Reality Check: Winter of 2008/09 Coldest Winter For A Decade

2. Met Office 2009 Forecast: Trend To Milder Winters To Continue, Snow And Frost Becoming Less Of A Feature. Met Office, 25 February 2009: Peter Stott, Climate Scientist at the Met Office, said:“Despite the cold winter this year, the trend to milder and wetter winters is expected to continue, with snow and frost becoming less of a feature in the future.“The famously cold winter of 1962/63 is now expected to occur about once every 1,000 years or more, compared with approximately every 100 to 200 years before 1850.”

Reality Check: Winter Of 2009/10 Coldest Winter For Over 30 Years

3. Met Office 2010 Forecast: Winter To Be Mild Predicts Met Office

Reality Check: December 2010 “Almost Certain” To Be Coldest Since Records Began. Met Office Predicted A Warm Winter. Cheers Guys

John Walsh, The Independent, 19 January 2010: Some climatologists hint that the Office’s problem is political; its computer model of future weather behaviour habitually feeds in government-backed assumptions about climate change that aren’t borne out by the facts. To the Met Office, the weather’s always warmer than it really is, because it’s expecting it to be, because it expects climate change to wreak its stealthy havoc. If it really has had its thumb on the scales for the last decade, I’m afraid it deserves to be shown the door.

Paul Hudson, BBC Weather, 9 January 2010: Which begs other, rather important questions. Could the model, seemingly with an inability to predict colder seasons, have developed a warm bias, after such a long period of milder than average years? Experts I have spoken to tell me that this certainly is possible with such computer models. And if this is the case, what are the implications for the Hadley centre’s predictions for future global temperatures? Could they be affected by such a warm bias? If global temperatures were to fall in years to come would the computer model be capable of forecasting this? A Period Of Humility And Silence Would Be Best For Met Office

4. Met Office 2012 Forecast: Drier than average conditions for April-May-June.

Reality Check: Wettest April for 100 years

5. Met Office 2013 Forecast: Feb-March Above-Average UK Temps More Likely.

Reality Check: Met Office confirms coldest March in more than 50 years.

Met Office global forecasts too warm in 11 out of last 12 years.

Since the Met Office has started decadal forecasting they have already changed the forecast 2 times since 2007.
kristy

Oviedo, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 23, 2013

Judged:

gcaveman1 wrote:
<quoted text>

IF...this slowdown in the rate of warming is supposed to be a precursor to a genuine cooling, then I need you to tell me what is reversing a 100+ year trend. Tell us (and back it up) what the models missed that is suddenly causing a reversal of warming.
What caused the Little Ice Age?
No Warming

Waverly, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 23, 2013

Judged:

kristy wrote:
<quoted text>
We just started measuring the deep oceans about 10 years ago, how do we even know what is "normal" in regards to the warming of the deep oceans?
You need to realize the deep oceans only came into existence 10 years ago :} Its the blogs, they have scripted these replies for people and that's why you see it over and over, even from different posters. I don't read posts from a few just because of the repetitive aspect.

I'll post a link to a Hansen study that says the oceans are not warming. Give me a few minutes.
No Warming

Waverly, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 23, 2013

Judged:

kristy wrote:
<quoted text>
We just started measuring the deep oceans about 10 years ago, how do we even know what is "normal" in regards to the warming of the deep oceans?
Here is the abstract from the Hansen study 2005-2010. The first paragraph shows an energy imbalance of .58 watts, meaning earth is taking in more energy than is being radiated out. When you look at the second paragraph you see -1.6 watts. That -1.6 is the decline of energy imbalance from the previous study period 1993-2008.

Even James Hansen says the oceans are taking up less heat and claims aerosols and a solar minimum are the cause.
No Warming

Waverly, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 23, 2013

Sorry, forgot to post the link.

http://www.atmos-chem-phys.net/11/13421/2011/...
gcaveman1

Louin, MS

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 23, 2013

Judged:

dont drink the koolaid wrote:
<quoted text>
Yeah, can be frustrating at times...
And I understand why you wish to not share.
Secrets are all the rage in the field of Proprietary Climate Studies.
May you find peace in your faith,
-koolaid
Exactly!

The all-encompassing tentacles of the insidious Proprietary Climate Information vault extend even to refusing help to Topix climate change deniers.

We are truly very close to controlling mankind!

Join us, or be annihilated!
kristy

Oviedo, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 23, 2013

Judged:

No Warming wrote:
<quoted text>
Here is the abstract from the Hansen study 2005-2010. The first paragraph shows an energy imbalance of .58 watts, meaning earth is taking in more energy than is being radiated out. When you look at the second paragraph you see -1.6 watts. That -1.6 is the decline of energy imbalance from the previous study period 1993-2008.
Even James Hansen says the oceans are taking up less heat and claims aerosols and a solar minimum are the cause.
How long long do aerosols from volcanoes usually stay in the atmoshere? It seems like we had already seen the effects of cooling from Mount Pinatubo. Is that normal to have a delayed effect? Since Hansen is admitting it is the sun, it just seems as though everyone shouldn't be so quick to dismiss the cosmic ray theory. Plate tectonics was also dismissed initially.

Since: Jul 11

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 23, 2013

Judged:

kristy wrote:
<quoted text>
How long long do aerosols from volcanoes usually stay in the atmoshere? It seems like we had already seen the effects of cooling from Mount Pinatubo. Is that normal to have a delayed effect? Since Hansen is admitting it is the sun, it just seems as though everyone shouldn't be so quick to dismiss the cosmic ray theory. Plate tectonics was also dismissed initially.
Answer to all your questions: Including the aerosol diversion & the sun,volcanoes and every other myth you may want to cling to that avoids the obvious answer to all.

The natural cycle adds and removes CO2 to keep a balance; humans add extra CO2 without removing any.

http://www.skepticalscience.com/argument.php

http://www.skepticalscience.com/argument.php
No Warming

Waverly, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 23, 2013

Judged:

kristy wrote:
<quoted text>
See what I mean, James Hansen takes a guess at the issue and here comes Oz with the blogs to solve the problem.

Less Fact will post the same blog at least 5 times a day to reinforce the premise.

Since: Apr 08

"the green troll"

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 23, 2013

Judged:

krusty wrote:
Since Hansen is admitting it is the sun, it just seems as though everyone shouldn't be so quick to dismiss the cosmic ray theory
"Since Hansen is admitting the sun has caused cooling, shouldn't we be thinking that the sun causes warming?"

There's a logical fallacy there.
LessHypeMoreFact

Toronto, Canada

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 23, 2013

Judged:

No Warming wrote:
<quoted text>
The two figures are for totally different things. You continue to try the 'apples vs oranges' tactic.
dont drink the koolaid

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 23, 2013

Judged:

Patriot AKA Bozo wrote:
<quoted text>
I agree that on average it has been a good thing. Above average, not so good.
Agreed, IF solar activity remains quiet and IF the unexplained lack of CO2 driven warming continues the warming will likely continue to be beneficial to many... including us in Minneapolis.
dont drink the koolaid

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 23, 2013

Judged:

Fair Game wrote:
<quoted text>
"Since Hansen is admitting the sun has caused cooling, shouldn't we be thinking that the sun causes warming?"
There's a logical fallacy there.
Cool... Would you explain the logic of that statement , if you don't mind?
jerry k

Waverly, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 23, 2013

Judged:

LessHypeMoreFact wrote:
<quoted text>
The two figures are for totally different things. You continue to try the 'apples vs oranges' tactic.
Its only 2 paragraphs long, read something other than a blog just one time.
LessHypeMoreFact

Toronto, Canada

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 23, 2013

Judged:

jerry k wrote:
<quoted text>
Its only 2 paragraphs long, read something other than a blog just one time.
It can be any length. The two figures are still defined for different things.

The first is net flow of energy. Less heat is being radiated at the top of the atmosphere than is entering. Thus we gain a certain amount of heat energy in the surface layers. It is relate to the 'lag' in warming from the current GHG concentration.

The second is the separated cooling effect of sulphate aerosols as a forcing on the total system.

Apples vs oranges. You need to start understanding simple English. You would probably still make a fool of yourself but at least you would have SOME idea of what you were mixing up.
iwantheat

Ashland, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 23, 2013

Judged:

http://www.trunews.com/listen/ John Casey speaks on the little ice age that is upon us now.
LessHypeMoreFact

Toronto, Canada

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 23, 2013

Judged:

iwantheat wrote:
http://www.trunews.com/listen/ John Casey speaks on the little ice age that is upon us now.
John Casey is neither a climatologist nor solar physicist. He has a degree in management. And I guess he managed to send YOU down the river..
iwantheat

Ashland, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 23, 2013

Judged:

LessHypeMoreFact wrote:
<quoted text>
John Casey is neither a climatologist nor solar physicist. He has a degree in management. And I guess he managed to send YOU down the river..
Apparently Al Gore stuck that hockey stick up your rump you cant see truth. lamo

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 36,061 - 36,080 of43,019
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

48 Users are viewing the Chicago Forum right now

Search the Chicago Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 4 min Eleanor Beaver 1,034,363
GOOGLE Ignores EASTER every year 14 min Buckeye 2
Abby 4-20 20 min edogxxx 3
IL Who do you support for Governor in Illinois in ... (Oct '10) 21 min It is Time 3,781
Amy 4-20 23 min Cass 2
BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting... (Jan '09) 24 min wojar 167,656
Messianic Jews say they are persecuted in Israel (Jun '08) 31 min JOEL COOL DUDE 65,161
Topix Chitown Regulars (Aug '09) 1 hr PEllen 96,145
•••
•••
•••

Chicago Jobs

•••
•••
•••

Chicago People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••

Personal Finance