Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds up, leaving litt...

Full story: Newsday

When Bill Clinton took office in 1993, global warming was a slow-moving environmental problem that was easy to ignore.
Comments
36,041 - 36,060 of 46,210 Comments Last updated 22 hrs ago
dont drink the koolaid

Minneapolis, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 23, 2013

Judged:

LessHypeMoreFact wrote:
<quoted text>
Oh, my GOD! You really want me to believe 'the dog ate my homework' is your argument??? What are you? Seven?
<quoted text>
There are always contrarians and scientists trying to make ANY claim. But none of these has made ANY attempt to address the two points I made which is why none of them get much respect or citations.
<quoted text>
http://www.uwgb.edu/dutchs/PSEUDOSC/SCICRANK....
Apparently my "homework" did post.
dont drink the koolaid

Minneapolis, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 23, 2013

Judged:

gcaveman1 wrote:
<quoted text>
Yeah, I've written lengthy responses and lost them too, but I've learned how to fix that.
Not telling you how; don't need your lengthy responses containing nothing, maybe you'll figure it out one day.
Hopefully not.
Yeah, can be frustrating at times...
And I understand why you wish to not share.
Secrets are all the rage in the field of Proprietary Climate Studies.

May you find peace in your faith,
-koolaid
gcaveman1

Bay Springs, MS

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 23, 2013

Judged:

dont drink the koolaid wrote:
<quoted text>
Correct.
The scientists "couldn't see' where the warming went because Not One Single Climate Model predicted where the missing energy went so these climate experts did not know where to begin to look.
To this day the experts are guessing (without benefit of a climate model that successfully forecast this mystery) the energy is "SOMEWHERE" in the oceans and perhaps someday they may find it :-)
Too funny because; Time And Time Again these facts do not in the slightest way shake the faith of the true believers in CAGW.
<quoted text>
Let me TRY, and I emphasize TRY, to straighten you and the other contrarians out.

Not One Single Climate Model is perfect.

Not One Single Climate Model is chiseled in stone.

Not One Single Climate Model is Fate, boy.(You believe in Fate, boy?)

Climate models are the best estimation of events that could possibly happen. For all their failings, they are pretty damn good. And the information that we have seen lately indicates that they err on the conservative side. Their inaccuracy seems to be in not forecasting the severity already seen and the seriousness of what's coming.

IF...this slowdown in the rate of warming is supposed to be a precursor to a genuine cooling, then I need you to tell me what is reversing a 100+ year trend. Tell us (and back it up) what the models missed that is suddenly causing a reversal of warming.
gcaveman1

Bay Springs, MS

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 23, 2013

Judged:

ritedownthemiddle wrote:
<quoted text>as a grandpa you don't really show much wisdom for your years. Son seems to be more fitting for someone who only cares about his self interests above all else.
And "boy" fits your comments pretty well too. How old are you, boy, twenty-something?

“Let's X Change!!”

Since: Feb 09

B4 HOPE Is Gone...

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 23, 2013

“Let's X Change!!”

B4 HOPE Is Gone...

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 23, 2013

Judged:

gcaveman1 wrote:
<quoted text>
And "boy" fits your comments pretty well too. How old are you, boy, twenty-something?
no, son, I'm not.
Lol

“Let's X Change!!”

B4 HOPE Is Gone...

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 23, 2013

Since: Mar 09

Wichita, KS

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 23, 2013

Judged:

ritedownthemiddle wrote:
http://www.thenewamerican.com/ tech/environment/item/16372-cl imate-theories-crumble-as-data -and-experts-suggest-global-co oling
Oh wonderful, the John Birch Society! I thought they went out with the typewriter.
NobodyYouKnow

Toronto, Canada

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 23, 2013

Judged:

Fun Facts wrote:
<quoted text>
Not quite, but good try. The graph shows that the last half of the 20th century was higher than the prior 400 years in the maximum activity.
You set one foot up on Mt. Everest. Then you claim to have climbed it because you are at least a foot higher than any time in the past.

Such stupidity is truly worthy of a denialist. While the solar constant IS higher than over the last 400 years (assuming accurate solar estimates prior to satellites) the point WAS that the variation is VERY SMALL and cannot contribute more than 0.2C of warming at best.
LessHypeMoreFact

Toronto, Canada

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 23, 2013

Judged:

Fun Facts wrote:
<quoted text>
Not quite, but good try. The graph shows that the last half of the 20th century was higher than the prior 400 years in the maximum activity.
What it also shows is the minimum activity was much higher than at any other time in the last 400 years.
Kinda like the AGW statements about the low temps. That nighttime lows are not as low as they used to be. The Met Office made a statement it's not about how hot is gets but more about how cold it doesn't get.
Well in the last half of the 20th century, the sun didn't get very 'cold'.
Meaningless. Just because it is higher does not mean that it is sufficient cause to explain global warming. Even if you could 'wish away' the warming from GHGs. The solar constant is too constant to be a factor in one degree (and more coming) of warming. NO conceivable feedback mechanism can turn that molehill into a mountain.

“Let's X Change!!”

B4 HOPE Is Gone...

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 23, 2013

Judged:

Patriot AKA Bozo wrote:
<quoted text>
Oh wonderful, the John Birch Society! I thought they went out with the typewriter.
lol...but aren't you and your crowd trying to bring the typewriter back?
dont drink the koolaid

Minneapolis, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 23, 2013

Judged:

Fair Game wrote:
<quoted text>
LOL.
Well, "thinking reader", why do you think proxies from one half of the planet would give a valid global figure?
Thanks Fair Game. Exactly!

Why would Dr. Mann (in your words) " think proxies from one half of the planet would give a valid global figure?"
dont drink the koolaid

Minneapolis, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 23, 2013

Judged:

Those who maintain their faith in CAGW Prophecies seem to be missing the point that GW has been a fact for thousands of years and every one knows that on average it is a very good thing. Who would deny such an obvious fact?

Wichita, KS

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 23, 2013

Judged:

ritedownthemiddle wrote:
<quoted text>lol...but aren't you and your crowd trying to bring the typewriter back?
Nope, we brought the digital age, the space program, the efficient light bulb, the water saving toilet, wind turbines. Too bad some want to go back to the good old days and give all this up. But we recognize that there is an environmental penalty to pay and want to apply this knowledge and technology to make this a better world. We cannot go back to the dirty old days when there were no catalytic converters on cars and stack cleaners on coal fired furnaces. Even China has come to that realization. Stupid does not solve problems.

Wichita, KS

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 23, 2013

Judged:

Those who maintain their faith in CAGW Prophecies seem to be missing the point that GW has been a fact for thousands of years and every one knows that on average it is a very good thing. Who would deny such an obvious fact?
I agree that on average it has been a good thing. Above average, not so good.

Since: Apr 08

"the green troll"

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 23, 2013

<quoted text>
Thanks Fair Game. Exactly!
Why would Dr. Mann (in your words) " think proxies from one half of the planet would give a valid global figure?"
He doesn't.
kristy

Oviedo, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 23, 2013

Judged:

Fun Facts wrote:
<quoted text>
http://hockeyschtick.blogspot.com/2013/05/new...
The problem with
"And in any case, the cooling effect is only ever temporary. When the Sun's activity returns to normal, the greenhouse gases won't have gone away."
is the contention that there is a 'normal' for solar output and that the distance from our sun is stable. Neither is correct.
At one time there was the concept of a solar constant. We know now and the graph above illustrates that there is no solar constant. The proponents of AGW hold on to the solar constant by saying the variations we have measured are very small.
In 1991 we experienced the Pinatubo eruption. This volcano put particulate matter into the atmosphere that acted in the same way as clouds and reduced incoming solar energy. This happened at a time when we were measuring TSI mechanically.
"After Mount Pinatubo erupted, while overall solar radiation was reduced by less than five percent, data showed a reduction of direct radiation by as much as 30 percent. So, instead of direct light, the sun's rays were reaching leaves after colliding with particles in the air."
http://earthobservatory.nasa.gov/Newsroom/vie...
The 30 months following Pinatubo earth experienced cooling up to .6*C. As the aerosols cleared the very high activity of cycle 22 was unblocked by the 'clouds of aerosols' and warming resumed.
The sun has a range of activity that is thought to be very small but within that range, the highs and the lows can impact earth significantly.
So the models overestimate the impact of CO2 and underestimate the impact of solar activity.
kristy

Oviedo, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 23, 2013

Judged:

LessHypeMoreFact wrote:
<quoted text>
They never were. That was a lie by the denialists. The only concern of the scientists was that the warming has to go SOMEWHERE and they couldn't see it in the land and ocean at the time. The result is that they discovered that the oceans were warming to deeper levels than expected. This was the surprise, not the variability of the air temperature chart.
You continue to be clueless no matter how many times you are infomred. Is this deliberate or are you just dim?
We just started measuring the deep oceans about 10 years ago, how do we even know what is "normal" in regards to the warming of the deep oceans?
kristy

Oviedo, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 23, 2013

Judged:

Fun Facts wrote:
http://hockeyschtick.blogspot. com/2013/05/new-paper-finds-re markable-correlation.html
Does the IPCC even take any of these papers into consideration?

“Let's X Change!!”

B4 HOPE Is Gone...

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 23, 2013

Judged:

Patriot AKA Bozo wrote:
<quoted text>
. We cannot go back to the dirty old days when there were no catalytic converters on cars and stack cleaners on coal fired furnaces.
who is suggesting that?
Lol
You peeps have a flair for the dramatic.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

72 Users are viewing the Chicago Forum right now

Search the Chicago Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 10 min Realtime 1,095,087
Ron Paul: Mission Creep in Iraq...and Missouri! 11 min Ron Paul Institute 1
Internment Camps: U. S. Government Field Manual 24 min Gary North Videos 1
BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting... (Jan '09) 35 min wojar 176,655
IL Who do you support for Governor in Illinois in ... (Oct '10) 39 min Nono 3,894
Animal Rescue Group: Man Charged with Arizona M... (Oct '12) 40 min Shanaynay 2
Topix Chitown Regulars (Aug '09) 41 min Mister Tonka 97,731
•••
•••
•••

Chicago Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••

Chicago People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE