Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds up, leaving litt...

Full story: Newsday

When Bill Clinton took office in 1993, global warming was a slow-moving environmental problem that was easy to ignore.

Comments (Page 1,793)

Showing posts 35,841 - 35,860 of45,557
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
No Warming

Waverly, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 18, 2013

Judged:

Nice game, you're the one questioning if they can be trusted. Of course you're also the one who believes earth has warmed .3C since 2004 so it fits.
No Warming

Waverly, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 18, 2013

Judged:

LessHypeMoreFact wrote:
<quoted text>
Global average AIR temperature (at 2 meters), NOT global average surface temperature. So not entirely relevant. The issue with the 'proxy measure' is that it has a lot of false artifacts from various climate cycles. So it needs to be filtered over thirty years to be considered valid.
<quoted text>
Nope. That is seasonal climate, not AGW. AGW is the global average surface temperature. SPECIFICALLY. It can be measured by thermometers, and is a separate issue from regional (Alaska) climate, Seaonal anomalies (two months) or even climate change (the response to AGW in terms of climate).
You really don't understand any of this, do you?
Write NASA and explain it them.
No Warming

Waverly, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 18, 2013

Judged:

to ^^^
kristy

Oviedo, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 18, 2013

Judged:

gcaveman1 wrote:
<quoted text>
"it's not not that big of an increase"
But an increase, nonetheless. Negates any claims that the Earth is cooling.
I would have to check to see if there was all the cloak-and-dagger surreptitiousness you claim. And that would be sorta pointless too, since maybe 95% of everything that's been posted on the Web can still be found if one looks hard enough.
Not like WUWT or Heartland ever removed anything without announcing it honestly.
There was no warming. There are like 4 temperature data sets and each one is different, so when I posted that 4.6 number I really had no idea what to compare it to, because the information is so all over the place on the internet, but NASA does post yearly information for each year. So to make this easier, I'm going by GISS since the information is pretty easy to find. NASA says we have warmed 0.5 C over the 20th century average. So in order for there to be a rise in temperature globally, you have to get quite a few temperatures way over 0.5 each year.

So here is the information for 2001-2010:

2001-0.51
2002-0.51
2003-0.51
2004-0.41
2005-0.55
2006-0.48
2007-0.52
2008-0.37
2009-0.50
2010-0.56

Average over the 20th century for this 10-year time span 0.492, under the 0.5 increase of the 20th century-Standstill no warming.

If you take the 10-year period for 2003-2012:
2003-0.51
2004-0.41
2005-0.55
2006-0.48
2007-0.52
2008-0.37
2009-0.50
2010-0.56
2011-0.44
2012-0.44

Average over the 20th century for this 10-year time span is 0.478, under the 0.5 C. So actually temperatures very slightly decreased, but most definitely no warming.
SpaceBlues

Houston, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 18, 2013

Judged:

gcaveman1 wrote:
Isn't that hilarious?
I left out the climatologists and the caterers....
Then all the universities, science companies, consultants, the WH, planet's science academies, professional societies, science journals, USDOE and laboratories, likewise other departments, the militaries,....

Gosh millions of people.
kristy

Oviedo, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 18, 2013

Judged:

LessHypeMoreFact wrote:
<quoted text>
There is no sense to the claim that "it isn't that big an increase". The ice ages are only a change of 3C to 5C in the GLOBAL AVERAGE surface temperature. A warming of 2C can lead to massive changes in sea level and desertification. So, ON THE APPROPRIATE SCALE, the current warming of about 1C is a MAJOR DISRUPTION (as we have seen from the attendant climate change).
You are right, it did make no sense for me to claim that it isn't that big of an increase because it wasn't, it was a decrease. Why do think all the scientists are perplexed at the moment?
gcaveman1

Bay Springs, MS

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 18, 2013

Judged:

My work here is done...

(tap tap tap)

Is this thing on? Is this the mortician convention?
No Warming

Waverly, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 18, 2013

Judged:

gcaveman1 wrote:
<quoted text>
Let me ask again; are you sure about these numbers? They all show warmth above the average. And, they are from HadCRUT4, NOAA NCDC, NASA GISS, and the WMO?
Can you really trust these four organizations, after everything else they have SAID?
Lets read this post.
kristy

Oviedo, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 18, 2013

Judged:

No Warming wrote:
<quoted text>
So if someone points out 15 years of GLOBAL temperature data that's cherry picking, yet 2 warm months in Alaska demonstrate AGW.
No Warming, you will just love this. Keven Trenburth has now come out and said this about global warming:

We can confidently say that the risk of drought and heat waves has gone up and the odds of a hot spot somewhere on the planet have increased but the hotspot moves around and the location is not very predictable. This year perhaps it is East Asia: China, or earlier Siberia? It has been much wetter and cooler in the US (except for SW), whereas last year the hot spot was the US. Earlier this year it was Australia (Tasmania etc) in January (southern summer). We can name spots for all summers going back quite a few years: Australia in 2009, the Russian heat wave in 2010, Texas in 2011, etc. Similarly with risk of high rains and floods: They are occurring but the location moves.

WTF. How is this any different than weather? How does weather popping around the globe unpredictably change the climate of any one region? I guess when the temperatures haven't risen for 15 years, you become desperate. I love the last line....risk of high rains and floods are occurring but the location moves. HAHAHAHAHAHA!
No Warming

Waverly, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 18, 2013

Judged:

gcaveman1 wrote:
Denier statement: Scientists can't explain the recent slowdown in atmospheric warming.
BUT! If you explore the science literature, you find this little gem from 2007, making a prediction for the decade 2004-2014:
"Britain’s Met Office projects 2014 temperature likely to be 0.3 degrees Celsius warmer than 2004.“Here is the climate forecast for the next decade [2007-2014]; although global warming will be held in check for a few years, it will come roaring back to send the mercury rising before 2014. This is the prediction of the first computer model of the global climate designed to make forecasts over a timescale of around a decade, developed by scientists at the Met Office. The new model developed at the Met's Hadley Centre in Exeter, and described in the journal Science, predicts that warming will slow during the next few years but then speed up again, and that at least half of the years after 2009 will be warmer than 1998, the warmest year on record.
Over the 10-year period [2007-2014] as a whole, climate continues to warm and 2014 is likely to be 0.3 deg C [0.3 degrees Celsius] warmer than 2004. The overall trend in warming is driven by greenhouse gas emissions but this warming effect will be broadly cancelled out over the next few years by the changing patterns of the ocean temperatures.”(Roger Highfield, Science Editor,“Global warming forecast predicts rise in 2014,” The Daily Telegraph, London, England, United Kingdom, August 9, 2007 reporting findings in Doug M. Smith, Stephen Cusack, Andrew W. Colman, Chris K. Folland, Glen R. Harris, and James M. Murphy,“Improved Surface Temperature Prediction for the Coming Decade from a Global Climate Model,” Science, August 10, 2007 317: 796-799 DOI: 10.1126/science.1139540)"
That seems to me like a hit right in the middle of the goddamed bullseye! The only data missing is the year we haven't experienced yet (2014). I guess we'll have to wait and see. But it appears that it was not only predicted, but explained as well.
Now this one.
No Warming

Waverly, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 18, 2013

Judged:

kristy wrote:
<quoted text>
No Warming, you will just love this. Keven Trenburth has now come out and said this about global warming:
We can confidently say that the risk of drought and heat waves has gone up and the odds of a hot spot somewhere on the planet have increased but the hotspot moves around and the location is not very predictable. This year perhaps it is East Asia: China, or earlier Siberia? It has been much wetter and cooler in the US (except for SW), whereas last year the hot spot was the US. Earlier this year it was Australia (Tasmania etc) in January (southern summer). We can name spots for all summers going back quite a few years: Australia in 2009, the Russian heat wave in 2010, Texas in 2011, etc. Similarly with risk of high rains and floods: They are occurring but the location moves.
WTF. How is this any different than weather? How does weather popping around the globe unpredictably change the climate of any one region? I guess when the temperatures haven't risen for 15 years, you become desperate. I love the last line....risk of high rains and floods are occurring but the location moves. HAHAHAHAHAHA!

When I find it I'll post a link regarding the AR5 report from a Russian paper. Earth may not warm till 2040 then boom. They've made scary stories into comedy.
No Warming

Waverly, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 18, 2013

Judged:

Found it, be afraid ... very afraid. At least afraid of the IPCC.

Alexei Kokorin: The main thing that is expected to be there is data saying that the climate “time bomb” may blow up sometime around 2040. Whereas earlier it was believed that man’s impact on the climate was gradual, and that the situation was deteriorating in a gradual way, now – in contrast to the previous report, which was being put together seven years ago – much more information has been obtained on ocean cycles and other natural fluctuations. Scientists have realized that today, in the 2010s, man’s impact is being mitigated by natural cycles that are offsetting the impact made on the climate by man. This situation will hold for about another twenty years. But it is completely clear that after that, this mitigation will yield to escalation.

http://www.bellona.org/articles/articles_2013...
No Warming

Waverly, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 18, 2013

kristy, did the link work ?

Since: Jul 11

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 18, 2013

kristy wrote:
<quoted text>
(sarcasm) Oh I see this is going to be like the hole in the ozone that just moves around the planet giving this abnormal weather. That's good to know, we can map this on our weather charts for cropping along with sun spots and the occasional supernova radiation that might pass our way like in the dinosaur period. All good things to look forward too, but as long as we don't ever admit man has played a role in it, we can deal with what ever mother nature dishes out.
I'm thinking the goat sacrifice is looking pretty good right now as an appeasement to the God's to give us an even break!
No Warming

Waverly, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 19, 2013

Judged:

OzRitz wrote:
<quoted text>
(sarcasm) Oh I see this is going to be like the hole in the ozone that just moves around the planet giving this abnormal weather. That's good to know, we can map this on our weather charts for cropping along with sun spots and the occasional supernova radiation that might pass our way like in the dinosaur period. All good things to look forward too, but as long as we don't ever admit man has played a role in it, we can deal with what ever mother nature dishes out.
I'm thinking the goat sacrifice is looking pretty good right now as an appeasement to the God's to give us an even break!
Trenberth is one of our hi level government stooges, most noted for the fact he cant find the warming.

"The fact is that we can't account for the lack of warming at the moment and it is a travesty that we can't."

Travesty !
kristy

Oviedo, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 19, 2013

Judged:

No Warming wrote:
Found it, be afraid ... very afraid. At least afraid of the IPCC.
Alexei Kokorin: The main thing that is expected to be there is data saying that the climate “time bomb” may blow up sometime around 2040. Whereas earlier it was believed that man’s impact on the climate was gradual, and that the situation was deteriorating in a gradual way, now – in contrast to the previous report, which was being put together seven years ago – much more information has been obtained on ocean cycles and other natural fluctuations. Scientists have realized that today, in the 2010s, man’s impact is being mitigated by natural cycles that are offsetting the impact made on the climate by man. This situation will hold for about another twenty years. But it is completely clear that after that, this mitigation will yield to escalation.
http://www.bellona.org/articles/articles_2013...
When the science of climate change sounds like it's being written by The Onion, it's time to abandon ship. So AGW has now been completely flipped. Those arguing that temperatures would rise at least 0.2 per decade due to the fact that CO2 is the main driver of temperatures and climate are now telling us that nature is going to be the main driver for another 20 years on top of the already 13 years, totally 33 years. That main driver of the climate, CO2, is just hiding out right now, just waiting to blow up in 2040. And you know that whole thing about weather is not climate, we really meant weather is climate. On all of this, we are completely clear. Oh and then after using dying polar bears in every presentation about the catastrophic effects of climate/weather change, the IPCC guy says this: In terms of impact on wildlife, the focus has been made not just on flagship species, such as the polar bear, which, as it turns out, is apparently able to adjust, more or less, this after they told us the polar bear populations were dying off.

What is really scary is caveman and the like. When caveman posted this the other day,

"Let me ask again; are you sure about these numbers? They all show warmth above the average. And, they are from HadCRUT4, NOAA NCDC, NASA GISS, and the WMO? Can you really trust these four organizations, after everything else they have SAID?"

I couldn't understand what he was babbling on and on about because I had just explained how he was wrong on that NOAA prediction. He then blamed the mix up on too much coffee, so I gave him a pass. I take that back. It then hit me, that he thinks any number over the average of the 20th century is proof we are still warming. He truly has no understanding of what the numbers mean, what to compare the numbers to, etc. He truly believes we are lying and that there has been no standstill or even slight cooling and he is going around presenting the Al Gore Dirty Weather Show. People like that are scary.

kristy

Oviedo, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 19, 2013

Judged:

OzRitz wrote:
<quoted text>
AGW hypothesis has failed. Temperatures aren't rising even though CO2 is increasing. If CO2 is the main driver as predicted, natural variability could not be in control for 33 years.
dont drink the koolaid

Minneapolis, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 19, 2013

Judged:

gcaveman1 wrote:
<quoted text>
I saw a photo layout on that story, of chicks in bikinis layin' out on a beach north of Anchorage.
I tell ya, it was the best evidence I saw that day of global warming. I mean, it was the best-looking evidence I saw that day.
Once again;
Looking at the big picture... GW Seems to be a good thing
kristy

Oviedo, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 19, 2013

Judged:

**Correction, should be the IPCC is predicting 42 years of no warming if CO2 is supposed to "blow up" in 2040.***

When the climate models do not agree with reality then reality is not what's false.
gcaveman1

Bay Springs, MS

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 19, 2013

Judged:

SpaceBlues wrote:
<quoted text>Then all the universities, science companies, consultants, the WH, planet's science academies, professional societies, science journals, USDOE and laboratories, likewise other departments, the militaries,....
Gosh millions of people.
Yeah, I know. Crazy, isn't it? Who knew there were still so many secret commies?

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 35,841 - 35,860 of45,557
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

23 Users are viewing the Chicago Forum right now

Search the Chicago Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
IL Illinois Governor Recall Amendment (Oct '10) 20 min Corrupt Democrats 1,831
Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 25 min PDUPONT 1,072,839
BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting... (Jan '09) 1 hr loose cannon 173,743
Topix Chitown Regulars (Aug '09) 1 hr Go Blue Forever 97,455
Israeli troops begin Gaza pullout as Hamas decl... (Jan '09) 2 hr voice of peace 67,543
Messianic Jews say they are persecuted in Israel (Jun '08) 3 hr Stuart Cudahy 68,163
Make 1000$ instantly 6 hr generalwon1 1
•••

Flood Warning for Cook County was issued at July 12 at 8:58PM CDT

•••
•••
•••

Chicago Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••

Chicago People Search