Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds up, leaving litt...

Full story: Newsday

When Bill Clinton took office in 1993, global warming was a slow-moving environmental problem that was easy to ignore.

Comments (Page 1,786)

Showing posts 35,701 - 35,720 of45,601
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
LessHypeMoreFact

Toronto, Canada

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 15, 2013

Patriot AKA Bozo wrote:
<quoted text>
No such thing as "free market". Personal choices and freedoms depend upon governments.
And the decisions of business owners. Both are run by the 'ruling elite', which is a plutocracy in effect. The grass roots has been bought off.
gcaveman1

Bay Springs, MS

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 15, 2013

If climate change has become a political issue, it was only made so by the Extreme Right.

It's their usual "divide and conquer" strategy.
SpaceBlues

Houston, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 15, 2013

gcaveman1 wrote:
If climate change has become a political issue, it was only made so by the Extreme Right.
True. Is there an antidote to it?
SpaceBlues

Houston, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 15, 2013

How about this?

"The antidote to divide and conquer is unite, educate, and reject religious delusion."
gcaveman1

Bay Springs, MS

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 15, 2013

BERLIN, Aug 15 (Reuters)- The areas of the world hit by heatwaves are set to double in size by 2020 and continue to grow in coming decades, as heat-trapping greenhouse gases warm the global climate, scientists in Germany and Spain said on Thursday.

The projections, based on new computer models and reviewing what the scientists said was an "exceptional number of extreme heatwaves" in the past decade, are more alarming than the conclusions of the U.N. panel of climate scientists last year.

That report by the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change - the U.N. body that collates scientific research from around the world - merely said of heatwaves: "It is very likely that the length, frequency, and/or intensity of warm spells or heatwaves will increase over most land areas" this century.

Monthly heat extremes in summer - such as the heatwaves in Australia this year, parts of the United States in 2012 or Russia in 2010 - now affect five percent of the world's land area, the report said.

"This is projected to double by 2020 and quadruple by 2040," the scientists wrote of their new study in the journal Environmental Research Letters.

-Reuters
kristy

Oviedo, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 15, 2013

Judged:

gcaveman1 wrote:
<quoted text>
Abortion is legal, but under attack constantly, and being restricted many places. While I disagreed with the idea as recently as five years ago, I have come to realize that they have an airtight case under the 14th Amendment.
There is no good reason for pot to be illegal. My 11th grade government teacher uttered a phrase I have never forgotten. "The power to tax is the power to destroy." Alter climate with a tax? Yes, by altering behavior.
Government should stay out of marriage and gays should be allowed to get married. Pot should be legalized. Abortion is a very difficult moral issue. I have seen premature babies at 20 weeks. They are not cells, believe me they are fully formed and can feel pain, so when they get pulled apart limb by limb itís not humane for us to promote this practice. I believe if a woman canít decide before the end of the first trimester to abort her baby, then she should have the baby and give it up for adoption. At the same time, women should have a safe environment if they choose to have that abortion that is strictly health and safety monitored as is every other medical facility in the US.

As to your 11th grade government teacher Iím sure he was trying to point out that governments can use taxes against the people. But somehow you have taken that as a good thing. The role of taxes is to fund the government to provide essential services to the people who they represent. The role of the government is not to control the people who elect them to represent them. Our tax system is used as a weapon. I believe in paying our taxes, but when the tax system is so unjust, it becomes a tool of power. When you have big companies such as GE, Comcast, News Corp., big banks, and every major corporation donating and serving on boards in the government or in politicians charities or vacationing with the president, it gives the big corporations control over the politicians. The political class and the corporate class and Wall Street are all one entity working for each other and no longer working for us. I know you know this. Big corporations can hire expensive accountants and lawyers to find every loophole the politicians have given them in the tax code. Why do you think those loopholes are never taken out?

I try as much as I can to shop at all my local small businesses. They are hardworking people who work anywhere from 12-18 hours a day. They canít afford the expensive accountants and lawyers to help them. Over the years we have talked a lot. And every one of them is wondering if they will even be able to stay open for another year. They say the rising taxes and the constantly changing laws are overwhelming them. They donít have the money for the expensive lawyers and tax accountants. Their profit margins are so low because in order to keep business they have to lower their prices to compete with the big chains. Every time the cigarette tax goes up, it hurts the small local merchants who sell those cigarettes. They donít want to raise the price of the cigarettes so they take the loss. Same with alcohol and same with any increased tax on their business. So their profit margin gets lower and lower. So placing a carbon tax on these businesses would be death for them.

You keep sacrificing the people living today for an AGW hypothesis that has not passed the first test. You try to tell us that we are the bad ones who just donít care about the future generations. But yet you are killing the generation that will produce the next generations leaving them with nothing to pass on. You are growing the corporate/political/Wall Street coalition. Shame. Next time you go into a small business, ask them how they are doing. Ask them if they are having a hard time dealing with all the laws and taxes. Ask them if they think the power to tax is the power to destroy.
gcaveman1

Bay Springs, MS

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 15, 2013

SpaceBlues wrote:
How about this?
"The antidote to divide and conquer is unite, educate, and reject religious delusion."
Yes.

And now abides faith, hope, education, these three; but the greatest of these is education.
kristy

Oviedo, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 15, 2013

Judged:

gcaveman1 wrote:
<quoted text>
Wrong again, Sherlock. My belief is based on known and emerging science.
"Given that the strength of the jet stream is influenced by the magnitude of the temperature-gradient, it follows that warming of the Arctic could lead to a weakening of the jet stream and a greater tendency to meander as it slows down. As this meandering develops, troughs may be expected to extend further southwards and ridges to push further northwards. However, recent research suggests a greater northwards component to this behaviour (the ridges are pushing further northwards than the troughs are nosing southwards), meaning that in overall terms the Polar jet stream has moved northwards. The wavier state of the jet stream also causes more mixing of warm and cold air in the Northern Hemisphere. More importantly, situations where the eastwards progression of these upper waves becomes sluggish or stalls lead to prolonged weather-conditions of one type or another. Unseasonably cold, wet, hot or dry conditions that last for weeks at a time can be just as destructive as storms: their effects on biodiversity and agriculture can be disastrous, leading variously to reduced crop yields, crop failure, biodiversity loss and wildfires, to name but a few effects."
If this is correct then, it helps to explain the soaking the eastern US has gotten in the past week or so.
Now, you can certainly believe what you want, but know that my OPINION is based upon climate science research.
Oh lord, everything you have stated above, man has had to deal with since our beginnings on this Earth. Floods, droughts, fires, weather system changes, crop failure, biodiversity loss, disease, plague, stalling of weather patterns, warming and cooling and yet we have adapted all this time and now the only thing that will save us is a group of elitist politicians telling us we have to tax a gas to lower the temperatures of the planet.
kristy

Oviedo, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 15, 2013

gcaveman1 wrote:
<quoted text>
I was reading the article with a good deal of skepticism until I came to this line: "the National Mining Association and the American Coalition for Clean Coal Electricity sponsored Mills' study." At that point, my skepticism about doubled.
I'll be checking that with all the "liberal" fact-checkers.
As you should. Let me know what you find out.
gcaveman1

Bay Springs, MS

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 15, 2013

Related.

The Environmental Protection Agency has unveiled new labels that prohibit the use of some of the controversial pesticides containing neonicotinoids where bees are present.

"Multiple factors play a role in bee colony declines, including pesticides. The Environmental Protection Agency is taking action to protect bees from pesticide exposure, and these label changes will further our efforts," Jim Jones, assistant administrator for the agency's Office of Chemical Safety and Pollution Preventions, said Thursday in a news release.

The new labels have a bee advisory box and an icon with information about routes of exposure and precautions that should be taken to reduce spray drift. The label says in red letters, "This product can kill bees and other insect pollinators."

The EPA said it would work with pesticide manufacturers to change their labels so that they meet federal standards.

<><><>< ><><><> <><><>< ><>

Now in Mississippi, if Willie can read, he might do what the label says.

But Bubba will probably say, "Hell, that a bunch of bullshit, more will work even better!"
kristy

Oviedo, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 15, 2013

Patriot AKA Bozo wrote:
<quoted text>
Sorry, but that is a non argument. Science never proves anything. It simply finds the most plausable reason. The most plausable cause of global warming is CO2 released from burning fossil fuels. Since you do not understand how science works your rants are void.
Yes it has to be CO2 except for all the uncertainties we don't yet understand, you know water vapor, clouds, sun, oceans, climate sensitivity just to name a few. So now the Earth has not behaved the way the models predicted, so there is no plausible reason to believe that CO2 is the main driver of rising temperatures leading to catastrophic climate change. Science is not absolute as you said, except for some reason AGW science is. There can be no questioning or skepticism. So shame on you for sacrificing the people alive today for a science that you have made absolute.
kristy

Oviedo, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 15, 2013

gcaveman1 wrote:
<quoted text>
I know about Kyoto. But I'm not a paranoiac like you. So I see it differently, like a sensible person.
Where was I paranoid? I was just stating facts. You inferred just one person from the IPCC believed in global governance and wealth transfer. I just showed you that you were wrong. What does that have to do with paranoia?
kristy

Oviedo, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 15, 2013

Judged:

gcaveman1 wrote:
Inter-GOVERNMENTAL Panel on Climate Change. They made the science into a government/political agenda. Had nothing to do with republicans.
kristy

Oviedo, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 15, 2013

Judged:

gcaveman1 wrote:
BERLIN, Aug 15 (Reuters)- The areas of the world hit by heatwaves are set to double in size by 2020 and continue to grow in coming decades, as heat-trapping greenhouse gases warm the global climate, scientists in Germany and Spain said on Thursday.
The projections, based on new computer models and reviewing what the scientists said was an "exceptional number of extreme heatwaves" in the past decade, are more alarming than the conclusions of the U.N. panel of climate scientists last year.
That report by the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change - the U.N. body that collates scientific research from around the world - merely said of heatwaves: "It is very likely that the length, frequency, and/or intensity of warm spells or heatwaves will increase over most land areas" this century.
Monthly heat extremes in summer - such as the heatwaves in Australia this year, parts of the United States in 2012 or Russia in 2010 - now affect five percent of the world's land area, the report said.
"This is projected to double by 2020 and quadruple by 2040," the scientists wrote of their new study in the journal Environmental Research Letters.
-Reuters
Disclaimer:
None of these projections really mean anything because of all the uncertainties we just donít understand, and since it is obvious we were unable to predict the 23 years after the FAR, then donít put any faith in our ability to accurately predict even farther out in the future.
kristy

Oviedo, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 15, 2013

gcaveman1 wrote:
Related.

Now in Mississippi, if Willie can read, he might do what the label says.
But Bubba will probably say, "Hell, that a bunch of bullshit, more will work even better!"
Really, just a few posts up you were all like we need to do is unite, have faith, love, educate and then you go and say a bigoted statement like that?
gcaveman1

Bay Springs, MS

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 15, 2013

kristy wrote:
<quoted text>
Government should stay out of marriage and gays should be allowed to get married. Pot should be legalized. Abortion is a very difficult moral issue. I have seen premature babies at 20 weeks. They are not cells, believe me they are fully formed and can feel pain, so when they get pulled apart limb by limb itís not humane for us to promote this practice. I believe if a woman canít decide before the end of the first trimester to abort her baby, then she should have the baby and give it up for adoption. At the same time, women should have a safe environment if they choose to have that abortion that is strictly health and safety monitored as is every other medical facility in the US.
As to your 11th grade government teacher Iím sure he was trying to point out that governments can use taxes against the people. But somehow you have taken that as a good thing. The role of taxes is to fund the government to provide essential services to the people who they represent. The role of the government is not to control the people who elect them to represent them. Our tax system is used as a weapon. I believe in paying our taxes, but when the tax system is so unjust, it becomes a tool of power. When you have big companies such as GE, Comcast, News Corp., big banks, and every major corporation donating and serving on boards in the government or in politicians charities or vacationing with the president, it gives the big corporations control over the politicians. The political class and the corporate class and Wall Street are all one entity working for each other and no longer working for us. I know you know this. Big corporations can hire expensive accountants and lawyers to find every loophole the politicians have given them in the tax code. Why do you think those loopholes are never taken out?
I try as much as I can to shop at all my local small businesses. They are hardworking people who work anywhere from 12-18 hours a day. They canít afford the expensive accountants and lawyers to help them. Over the years we have talked a lot. And every one of them is wondering if they will even be able to stay open for another year. They say the rising taxes and the constantly changing laws are overwhelming them. They donít have the money for the expensive lawyers and tax accountants. Their profit margins are so low because in order to keep business they have to lower their prices to compete with the big chains. Every time the cigarette tax goes up, it hurts the small local merchants who sell those cigarettes. They donít want to raise the price of the cigarettes so they take the loss. Same with alcohol and same with any increased tax on their business. So their profit margin gets lower and lower. So placing a carbon tax on these businesses would be death for them.
You keep sacrificing the people living today for an AGW hypothesis that has not passed the first test. You try to tell us that we are the bad ones who just donít care about the future generations. But yet you are killing the generation that will produce the next generations leaving them with nothing to pass on. You are growing the corporate/political/Wall Street coalition. Shame. Next time you go into a small business, ask them how they are doing. Ask them if they are having a hard time dealing with all the laws and taxes. Ask them if they think the power to tax is the power to destroy.
Re using taxes against the people: you have only to look to the American Revolution. They can't tax us too much or they will lose their jobs.

I don't have to talk to small businessmen. I have been one for many years. I know the feeling.

Yes, we live in AMERICA, INC., LLC.
Repeal Citizen's United.
Install solar.
Start a revolution.
gcaveman1

Bay Springs, MS

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 15, 2013

kristy wrote:
<quoted text>
Really, just a few posts up you were all like we need to do is unite, have faith, love, educate and then you go and say a bigoted statement like that?
Not bigoted, chump.

I know my people.
gcaveman1

Bay Springs, MS

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 15, 2013

Judged:

kristy wrote:
<quoted text>
Oh lord, everything you have stated above, man has had to deal with since our beginnings on this Earth. Floods, droughts, fires, weather system changes, crop failure, biodiversity loss, disease, plague, stalling of weather patterns, warming and cooling and yet we have adapted all this time and now the only thing that will save us is a group of elitist politicians telling us we have to tax a gas to lower the temperatures of the planet.
Yes, true except for that politician part.

For it is written, we are warming the earth. If we are changing the climate, that has to change the weather we've had in the past.

But we can do something about it, and raising taxes on some things is not the only method.
gcaveman1

Bay Springs, MS

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 15, 2013

Judged:

kristy wrote:
<quoted text>
Where was I paranoid? I was just stating facts. You inferred just one person from the IPCC believed in global governance and wealth transfer. I just showed you that you were wrong. What does that have to do with paranoia?
Where is the global governance? When do you think the US government will accede to that? Who would have to do that?

Whose wealth will be transferred? Private? Public? If wealth is transferred to Africa, will that not mean business opportunities for Western businesses there? With the wealth of natural resources already in Africa, do you not think money transfer to countries in that continent won't result in more business?

Kyoto has turned out to be so weak, I can't understand the fear of it. That's why I think you're paranoid.
gcaveman1

Bay Springs, MS

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 15, 2013

Judged:

kristy wrote:
<quoted text>
Inter-GOVERNMENTAL Panel on Climate Change. They made the science into a government/political agenda. Had nothing to do with republicans.
Bullshit.

There was no political element until deniers started opposing climate science.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 35,701 - 35,720 of45,601
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

29 Users are viewing the Chicago Forum right now

Search the Chicago Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
St. Vincent DePaul Store Thrift Store Moving to... 13 min IsBerkotsCheaperthanJewel 4
Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 13 min Roger Hammerstein 1,073,266
BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting... (Jan '09) 23 min Jacques from Ottawa 173,782
Ill. House Approves Legalizing Same-Sex Civil U... (Dec '10) 1 hr Norton 48,701
This is a great ad. 2 hr Harold B Alls 1
Israeli troops begin Gaza pullout as Hamas decl... (Jan '09) 6 hr voice of peace 67,553
A kid-friendly guide to the Windy City 6 hr Tgloaded 1
•••
•••
•••
•••

Chicago Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••

Chicago People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE