Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds up, leaving litt...

Full story: Newsday

When Bill Clinton took office in 1993, global warming was a slow-moving environmental problem that was easy to ignore.
Comments
35,161 - 35,180 of 45,773 Comments Last updated 5 hrs ago
kristy

Oviedo, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 26, 2013

Retired Farmer wrote:
<quoted text>
You are right there. Several years ago a tobacco company sponsored a visit to my area by a party of mid-ranking agriculture ministry officials from Mozambique. A tobacco buyer friend of mine brought them to see me. I rode around with them for a week visiting farms, machinery dealerships, and farm supply stores but nothing I showed them was applicable to their situation. Everything in American farming was too big, too technologically advanced, and too expensive for them to use. Finally, in desperation, I took them to visit an Amish farmer who farmed using late 19th century equipment and tools, but who used good, modern scientific agricultural methods. The Africans were all smiles. Everything that the Amish farmer showed them was simple and low cost enough for them to introduce it into the rural villages, but would greatly boost their food production and improve living conditions.
Interestingly, one of the things that the Amish made for them and they took back to Africa was a solar cooker that could be made locally from readily available materials. It cooked slowly, the same way that a crockpot does, but used the sun's energy to supply the heat.
I do agree with you on this. The other day we were posting about aid being sent to Africa and that most of it never gets to those who really need it and I also posted about the World Bank supporting the Inga Dam. I am reading a book called the Creature from Jekyll Island, and it is an eyeopener. The Creature is the Federal Reserve, which I never have fully understood, but have known it is not a good entity and the book explains how it is a cartel of banks in co-hoots with the government. But there is a chapter on the IMF and World Bank, which is essentially the Federal Reserve globally. It is truly sickening how much money has been funneled from the developing countries through the IMF and World Bank to developing countries' governments. It is in the trillions of dollars. Every politician has supported this from Reagan to Obama. The only people who are helped by these cartels are the banks and governments. Even if corrupt governments have been shown to not use the money on their people and even when they default on the loan, the World Bank will come through, restructure the loan, give out a new loan interest delayed so that they can keep the interest payments going to the banks. This cycle literally never stops. If any politician tries to stop this sickening cycle, then they are called out for hating the poor. The help has got to come from the bottom in these types of situations. It seems a tobacco company helped fund this expedition. I hope the Africans were able to take back what they learned and apply it to their situation.
Retired Farmer

Paducah, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 26, 2013

Judged:

kristy wrote:
<quoted text>
I do agree with you on this. The other day we were posting about aid being sent to Africa and that most of it never gets to those who really need it and I also posted about the World Bank supporting the Inga Dam. I am reading a book called the Creature from Jekyll Island, and it is an eyeopener. The Creature is the Federal Reserve, which I never have fully understood, but have known it is not a good entity and the book explains how it is a cartel of banks in co-hoots with the government. But there is a chapter on the IMF and World Bank, which is essentially the Federal Reserve globally. It is truly sickening how much money has been funneled from the developing countries through the IMF and World Bank to developing countries' governments. It is in the trillions of dollars. Every politician has supported this from Reagan to Obama. The only people who are helped by these cartels are the banks and governments. Even if corrupt governments have been shown to not use the money on their people and even when they default on the loan, the World Bank will come through, restructure the loan, give out a new loan interest delayed so that they can keep the interest payments going to the banks. This cycle literally never stops. If any politician tries to stop this sickening cycle, then they are called out for hating the poor. The help has got to come from the bottom in these types of situations. It seems a tobacco company helped fund this expedition. I hope the Africans were able to take back what they learned and apply it to their situation.
I put about as much faith in, and have the same reaction to, G. Edward Griffin and his works as I do a pile of squittery chicken shit that I step in crossing the barnyard.

The man is an absolute nutcase. I can think of only a few frauds and quacks that are worse. John Hagee, maybe. Or the swindler that predicted the end of the world a few years ago, what was his name? Harold Camping, I think.
B as in B S as in S

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 26, 2013

Retired Farmer wrote:
<quoted text>
I put about as much faith in, and have the same reaction to, G. Edward Griffin and his works as I do a pile of squittery chicken shit that I step in crossing the barnyard.
The man is an absolute nutcase. I can think of only a few frauds and quacks that are worse. John Hagee, maybe. Or the swindler that predicted the end of the world a few years ago, what was his name? Harold Camping, I think.
Ms. Kristy and Mr. Farmer,
I agree with you guys regarding these international banking schemes that are created ostensibly to help the poor. It does appear that aid is structured to benefit those who administer the funds i.e. the banks. Each of you eloquently described an example of such conduct and there are many other programs like them.

So readers may wonder how this relates to the claim;t GW was slow but is now speeding up? Well I believe the aforementioned principles that have corrupted honorable efforts to help the poor are influencing the efforts of people concerned about Carbon Driven Catastrophic Anthropogenic Global Climate Disruption. I suspect most reasonable people also could find evidence of such influences.

Since: Mar 09

Glenwood Springs, CO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 26, 2013

kristy wrote:
<quoted text>
Is building the dam a good thing or not? You disparaged my posts then in turn agree with the idea building from the bottom up. It seems that you just like to be obtuse.
Coal is King

Greenville, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 26, 2013

Judged:

Example of the moral quality of the top men in the IMF.

http://news.nationalpost.com/2013/07/26/ex-im...

Since: Jul 11

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 26, 2013

kristy wrote:
<quoted text>
You all keep making every weather event an extreme event. When I said don't drink and post, it was mainly referring to this statement:
"I wonder how Florida will fare in the next few years during Hurricane season with all these natural events."
So every hurricane that hits land will now be touted as evidence of global warming. Do you see why it so hard to take you seriously?
Do you expect "war & peace" every time we post. It was a one liner trying to emphasise how turbo charged weather is not a good thing to live with. Same as owning prime real estate on the coast with ocean views in some countries might end up with ocean views a lot different than what they had planned. No one claims hurricane season is caused by global warming, however just the slightest increase in ocean temps can mean the difference between disaster and a normal tropical downpour. It's all about the weather, and that means keeping vital water supplies to populated areas by filling dam's every year and the cropping areas enough rainfall to keep productive without getting blown away or under water. If you want to label that a "Liberal" idea then go ahead, but to anyone else it's just common sense. The sole purpose of the denier crowd is to try and break that connection between fossil fuels and it's role in making climate change a reality. Exactly the same as the tobacco lobby who took on governments around the world with it's link to cancer.

Since: Apr 08

"the green troll"

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 26, 2013

kristy wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes. Niño–Southern Oscillation is a strong driver of interannual global mean temperature variations. ENSO and non-ENSO contributions can be separated by the method of Thompson et al.(2008). The trend in the ENSO-related component for 1999–2008
is +0.08±0.07°C decade, fully accounting for the overall observed
trend. The trend after removing ENSO (the "ENSO-adjusted"
trend) is 0.00°±0.05°C decade, implying much greater disagreement with anticipated global temperature rise.
You can read it here pages 22 and 23.
http://www1.ncdc.noaa.gov/pub/data/cmb/bams-s...
1999-2008 is not a 16 year period krusty.

“I Luv Carbon Dioxide”

Since: Dec 08

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 27, 2013

Judged:

SpaceBlues wrote:
Ninety million tons of manmade heat-trapping CO2 are emitted each day. b_gone lies here because of fossil fuels job.
We should be freeing more life giving man-made heat trapping carbon dioxide; it's fun and profitable. I advocate a trillion tons a day; let's play!
kristy

Oviedo, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 27, 2013

Judged:

B as in B S as in S wrote:
<quoted text>
Ms. Kristy and Mr. Farmer,
I agree with you guys regarding these international banking schemes that are created ostensibly to help the poor. It does appear that aid is structured to benefit those who administer the funds i.e. the banks. Each of you eloquently described an example of such conduct and there are many other programs like them.
So readers may wonder how this relates to the claim;t GW was slow but is now speeding up? Well I believe the aforementioned principles that have corrupted honorable efforts to help the poor are influencing the efforts of people concerned about Carbon Driven Catastrophic Anthropogenic Global Climate Disruption. I suspect most reasonable people also could find evidence of such influences.
I watched the Men Who Built America on the History Channel. One thing I noted was that anytime one of the titans felt threatened of losing their power or money or if they wanted to get rid of a competitor, they would use fear. They drum up public fear campaigns. Example, JP Morgan was funding Edison and Edison was promoting DC power. When Westinghouse came out with AC power, Edison started a public fear campaign that AC power would kill. Edison and team even designed the electric chair and made sure the first electrocution used AC power. The 2008 bailouts happened because we were told not bailing out failure would pretty much be the end of the world. You notice a central theme throughout global warming that by not doing anything, we are dooming ourselves and our children to their demise. But there is one central player in all of these fear campaigns and that would be the central banks and the investment firms. Goldman Sachs greatly wanted cap and trade pass.

From Rolling Stone article 2009:

Goldman wants this bill. The plan is (1) to get in on the ground floor of paradigm-shifting legislation,(2) make sure that they’re the profit-making slice of that paradigm and (3) make sure the slice is a big slice. Goldman started pushing hard for cap-and-trade long ago, but things really ramped up last year when the firm spent $3.5 million to lobby climate issues.(One of their lobbyists at the time was none other than Patterson, now Treasury chief of staff.) Back in 2005, when Hank Paulson was chief of Goldman, he personally helped author the bank’s environmental policy, a document that contains some surprising elements for a firm that in all other areas has been consistently opposed to any sort of government regulation. Paulson’s report argued that “voluntary action alone cannot solve the climate-change problem.” A few years later, the bank’s carbon chief, Ken Newcombe, insisted that cap-and-trade alone won’t be enough to fix the climate problem and called for further public investments in research and development. Which is convenient, considering that Goldman made early investments in wind power (it bought a subsidiary called Horizon Wind Energy), renewable diesel (it is an investor in a firm called Changing World Technologies) and solar power (it partnered with BP Solar), exactly the kind of deals that will prosper if the government forces energy producers to use cleaner energy. As Paulson said at the time,“We’re not making those investments to lose money.”
kristy

Oviedo, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 27, 2013

Judged:

Patriot AKA Bozo wrote:
<quoted text>
Is building the dam a good thing or not? You disparaged my posts then in turn agree with the idea building from the bottom up. It seems that you just like to be obtuse.
My thinking on this is that a dam would be good, but like you said in Africa it can't work. You were right. And that is due to the corruption and the wars. What really changed me was reading about how the IMF and World Bank have funded so many of these projects and then we see them fail, go into debt, and then to see the IMF and World Bank literally do the same thing all over again is insane and keeps the poor in poverty and the IMF and World Bank and Federal Reserve are robbing us because all of this money comes from us, the taxpayers. Most of this funding is done without congress and to this day, the Fed will not open its books to any member of Congress, let alone the public.
kristy

Oviedo, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 27, 2013

Judged:

Fair Game wrote:
<quoted text>
1999-2008 is not a 16 year period krusty.
My point in posting that was to show that in 2008, NOAA said this:

Near-zero and even negative trends are common for intervals of a decade or less in the simulations, due to the model’s internal climate variability. The simulations rule out (at the 95% level) ZERO TRENDS FOR INTERVALS OF 15 yr OR MORE, suggesting that an observed absence of warming of this duration is needed to create a discrepancy with the expected present-day warming rate.

The simulations also produce an average increase of 2.0°C in twenty-first century global temperature, demonstrating that recent observational trends are not sufficient to discount predictions of substantial climate change and its significant and widespread impacts. Given the likelihood that internal variability contributed to the slowing of global temperature rise in the last decade, WE EXPECT THAT WARMING WILL RESUME IN THE NEXT FEW YEARS, CONSISTENT WITH PREDICTIONS FROM NEAR-TERM CLIMATE FORECASTS.

(So now we are 16 years into a pause and NOAA said in 2008, it would take a 15-year pause to create a discrepancy with the expected present day warming rate.)
kristy

Oviedo, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 27, 2013

Judged:

Coal is King wrote:
Example of the moral quality of the top men in the IMF.
http://news.nationalpost.com/2013/07/26/ex-im...
It really makes me sad that so many people without moral character run for office. Or once they get in office, they lose all their morals. If someone will cheat on their spouses, lie to their families then they should never have the public trust.

"the green troll"

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 27, 2013

Judged:

kristy wrote:
<quoted text>
Near-zero and even negative trends are common for intervals of a decade or less in the simulations, due to the model’s internal climate variability. The simulations rule out (at the 95% level) ZERO TRENDS FOR INTERVALS OF 15 yr OR MORE, suggesting that an observed absence of warming of this duration is needed to create a discrepancy with the expected present-day warming rate.
The simulations also produce an average increase of 2.0°C in twenty-first century global temperature, demonstrating that recent observational trends are not sufficient to discount predictions of substantial climate change and its significant and widespread impacts. Given the likelihood that internal variability contributed to the slowing of global temperature rise in the last decade, WE EXPECT THAT WARMING WILL RESUME IN THE NEXT FEW YEARS, CONSISTENT WITH PREDICTIONS FROM NEAR-TERM CLIMATE FORECASTS.
(So now we are 16 years into a pause and NOAA said in 2008, it would take a 15-year pause to create a discrepancy with the expected present day warming rate.)
Watching you trip over your clown shoes is not so funny the second time, krusty. Find a new gag- this ones getting a bit old.

Your link is talking about periods in the ENSO-adjusted temperatures.

There is not a pause in the 15 year ENSO-adjusted temperatures- they show a strong positive trend over that period.

Since: Mar 09

Glenwood Springs, CO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 27, 2013

kristy wrote:
<quoted text>
My thinking on this is that a dam would be good, but like you said in Africa it can't work. You were right. And that is due to the corruption and the wars. What really changed me was reading about how the IMF and World Bank have funded so many of these projects and then we see them fail, go into debt, and then to see the IMF and World Bank literally do the same thing all over again is insane and keeps the poor in poverty and the IMF and World Bank and Federal Reserve are robbing us because all of this money comes from us, the taxpayers. Most of this funding is done without congress and to this day, the Fed will not open its books to any member of Congress, let alone the public.
<BG>
SpaceBlues

Houston, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 27, 2013

Earthling-1 wrote:
<quoted text>Wot, no question mark?
Wot? What is that?
SpaceBlues

Houston, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 27, 2013

How funny is the science deniers <mainly liars themselves> playing the morality card?

It goes with their general dishonesty and hypocrisy.

Good grief.
B as in B S as in S

Minneapolis, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 27, 2013

Judged:

Fair Game wrote:
<quoted text>
There is not a pause in the 15 year ENSO-adjusted temperatures- they show a strong positive trend over that period.
Too funny.
Fair Game wrote:
<quoted text>Science moves on science deniers don't
From the Met Office: "The scientific questions posed by the current pause in global surface warming require us to understand in much greater detail the flows of energy into, out of, and around the Earth system. Current observations are not detailed enough or of long enough duration to provide definitive answers on the causes of the recent pause, and therefore do not enable us to close the Earth’s energy budget."

Which means... Currently there IS a pause and they can not explain it.

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/media/pdf/q/0/Pap...

Deny it or deal with it... it's up to you.

"the green troll"

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 27, 2013

B as in B S as in S wrote:
<quoted text>
Too funny.
<quoted text>
From the Met Office: "The scientific questions posed by the current pause in global surface warming require us to understand in much greater detail the flows of energy into, out of, and around the Earth system. Current observations are not detailed enough or of long enough duration to provide definitive answers on the causes of the recent pause, and therefore do not enable us to close the Earth’s energy budget."
Which means... Currently there IS a pause and they can not explain it.
http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/media/pdf/q/0/Pap...
Deny it or deal with it... it's up to you.
Not in the ENSO-adjusted temperatures there isn't.

"the green troll"

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 27, 2013

Judged:

kristy wrote:
Well, how about NOAA? Let’s go back to their State of the Climate report 2008. Here is what they have to say about the pause in warming:
The 10 model simulations (a total of 700 years of simulation) possess 17 nonoverlapping decades with trends in ENSO-adjusted global mean temperature within the uncertainty range of the observed 1999–2008 trend (&#8722;0.05° to 0.05°C decade–1).
kristy wrote:
<quoted text>
LOL.

So your response to my pointing out that the report referred to ENSO-adjusted temperatures is to simply leave out the bit about ENSO-adjusted temperatures and try again.

You really are a clown.
B as in B S as in S

Minneapolis, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 27, 2013

Fair Game wrote:
<quoted text>
Not in the ENSO-adjusted temperatures there isn't.
Ok I'll play just this once...

In the ENSO it is too!

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

93 Users are viewing the Chicago Forum right now

Search the Chicago Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 5 min THE DEVIL 1,079,417
Ill. House Approves Legalizing Same-Sex Civil U... (Dec '10) 5 min truth 48,880
Abby 7-24 7 min Sublime1 24
Steve Wilkos : talk show host ? or simple mi... (Feb '08) 7 min Julie 352
last post wins! (Dec '10) 12 min honeymylove 1,296
Topix Chitown Regulars (Aug '09) 26 min edogxxx 97,521
Amy 7-24 32 min Kuuipo 18
BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting... (Jan '09) 46 min wojar 174,522
•••
•••
•••

Chicago Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••

Chicago People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••

Chicago News, Events & Info