Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds up, leaving litt...

Full story: Newsday

When Bill Clinton took office in 1993, global warming was a slow-moving environmental problem that was easy to ignore.
Comments
35,101 - 35,120 of 45,842 Comments Last updated 1 hr ago

Since: Mar 09

Glenwood Springs, CO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 22, 2013

Judged:

kristy wrote:
<quoted text>
You totally didn't get the analogy. Let me break it down. With PUD there was a CONSENSUS that increased stomach acid was the cause of PUD. In AGW, there is a "CONSENSUS" that CO2 is the main driver of warming. PUD is just one example of where a CONSENSUS does not make something correct. If the scientists had not pursued other causes of PUD, then it would never have been discovered that H. pylori is the source of infection and PUD would never have been treated correctly. Climate science works just the opposite of any science. We have scientists who have papers published showing that solar activity, water vapor, cloud formation, etc. have a larger effect on the climate than CO2. So there is a debate between scientists about CO2 being the main driver of warming no matter how much you don't want that to be true. And since none of the climate models predicted a 16-year lull in warming, obviously there is some rethinking to do. But yet even though there are scientists actively pursuing answers to the climate, they are denigrated by not only people like you, but our president who flat out lied and said global warming is speeding up at an alarming rate and then has the gall he doesn't want to listen to "flat earthers." He just got done lying and he says that? Who is the flat earther? The one who denies the facts and that would be Obama.
This is really about overpopulation like you said. Carbon economies bring people out of poverty and use more energy, so the goal would be to keep up the gloom and doom and tell people in poor countries that they should be happy with their cooking stove and that they should hate the developed countries for making their lives miserable. But some good news for Africa, it looks like their dam is going to start construction in 2015 and it could light up over half of Africa. They could be on their way to becoming a developed country with the ability to gain jobs, decrease diseases, get electricity to their homes so they don't have to cook with cooking stoves, get ventilation in their homes, clean water, etc. The only thing holding back those in developing countries is their inability to get access energy. Their lives will change for the better when they have access to energy. But let's see if the environmentalists will allow that to happen.
I exactly understood what you tried to say. No, past analogies do not give any indication that global warming scientists are incorrect. Also, if you think the third world countries can jump into the fossil fuel world, you are sadly mistaken. The hydro power is renewable but flooding their fertile lands with a dam and also preventing the fertility gained by flooding for the necessary nutrients downstream might not be the best thing for them. Food is more important to them than energy. There is no simple solution. However more efficient cooking stoves would be a great thing for them. They waste fuel in inefficient stoves and also vent harmful smoke and fumes into their living areas today.
B as in B S as in S

Minneapolis, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 22, 2013

Judged:

Patriot AKA Bozo wrote:
<quoted text>
I exactly understood what you tried to say..
That is some of the most twisted and sick thinking I have heard outside of the 'Race' debates.

Really, third world peoples may not benefit from the advantages of a dam's energy and flood mitigation capabilities.... But new cooking stoves??? Now we're talking!

There is a "simple solution" but let us not distract from this opportunity to savory your profundity:

"No, past analogies do not give any indication that global warming scientists are incorrect. Also, if you think the third world countries can jump into the fossil fuel world, you are sadly mistaken. The hydro power is renewable but flooding their fertile lands with a dam and also preventing the fertility gained by flooding for the necessary nutrients downstream might not be the best thing for them. Food is more important to them than energy. There is no simple solution. However more efficient cooking stoves would be a great thing for them. They waste fuel in inefficient stoves and also vent harmful smoke and fumes into their living areas today"
-Patriot AKA Bozo

'
B as in B S as in S

Minneapolis, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 22, 2013

Judged:

Words of wisdom from one of the Faithful Followers of the prophets of CAGW:

"The hydro power is renewable but flooding their fertile lands with a dam and also preventing the fertility gained by flooding for the necessary nutrients downstream might not be the best thing for them. Food is more important to them than energy. There is no simple solution. However more efficient cooking stoves would be a great thing for them."

As the "Faithful" are aware; cut n paste is a true savior for those that do not have time to think.
Coal is King

Cadiz, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 22, 2013

Judged:

kristy wrote:
<quoted text>
But some good news for Africa, it looks like their dam is going to start construction in 2015 and it could light up over half of Africa. They could be on their way to becoming a developed country with the ability to gain jobs, decrease diseases, get electricity to their homes so they don't have to cook with cooking stoves, get ventilation in their homes, clean water, etc. The only thing holding back those in developing countries is their inability to get access energy. Their lives will change for the better when they have access to energy. But let's see if the environmentalists will allow that to happen.
Never mind the environmentalists. Egypt will never allow that dam to be built. The Nile River is Egypt's life and they'll go to war it if that's what it takes to stop it being dammed upstream.

Glenwood Springs, CO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 22, 2013

Judged:

B as in B S as in S wrote:
<quoted text>
That is some of the most twisted and sick thinking I have heard outside of the 'Race' debates.
Really, third world peoples may not benefit from the advantages of a dam's energy and flood mitigation capabilities.... But new cooking stoves??? Now we're talking!
There is a "simple solution" but let us not distract from this opportunity to savory your profundity:
"No, past analogies do not give any indication that global warming scientists are incorrect. Also, if you think the third world countries can jump into the fossil fuel world, you are sadly mistaken. The hydro power is renewable but flooding their fertile lands with a dam and also preventing the fertility gained by flooding for the necessary nutrients downstream might not be the best thing for them. Food is more important to them than energy. There is no simple solution. However more efficient cooking stoves would be a great thing for them. They waste fuel in inefficient stoves and also vent harmful smoke and fumes into their living areas today"
-Patriot AKA Bozo
'
You need to study the situation before you jump in with both feet. You may find that you are all wet!

Glenwood Springs, CO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 22, 2013

Judged:

Coal is King wrote:
<quoted text>
Never mind the environmentalists. Egypt will never allow that dam to be built. The Nile River is Egypt's life and they'll go to war it if that's what it takes to stop it being dammed upstream.

Thank you. There are some things that we can agree on! Nothing is ever simple.

Glenwood Springs, CO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 22, 2013

Judged:

<quoted text>
-Patriot AKA Bozo
'
Some of those folks would be very happy with even a good cooking pot! How is electricity going to help them?

“Let's X Change!!”

Since: Feb 09

B4 HOPE Is Gone...

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 23, 2013

Judged:

SpaceBlues wrote:
<quoted text>Wow .. do you bake a lot?
Are you a baker from Bakersville? Bon soir, lol.
no, but you do. one lie after another.

psssst.lame!!
kristy

Oviedo, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 23, 2013

Judged:

Patriot AKA Bozo wrote:
<quoted text>
I exactly understood what you tried to say. No, past analogies do not give any indication that global warming scientists are incorrect. Also, if you think the third world countries can jump into the fossil fuel world, you are sadly mistaken. The hydro power is renewable but flooding their fertile lands with a dam and also preventing the fertility gained by flooding for the necessary nutrients downstream might not be the best thing for them. Food is more important to them than energy. There is no simple solution. However more efficient cooking stoves would be a great thing for them. They waste fuel in inefficient stoves and also vent harmful smoke and fumes into their living areas today.
You live in a country with over 2500 hydroelectric dams and you want to tell people in Africa that having power is not necessarily the best thing for them. No wonder we are hated all over the world and seen as elitists. By the way, the dam that is starting construction in 2015 is at the Inga Falls on the Congo River. Due to the Congo River's flow being so strong and so constant, enormous power can be extracted without a large dam to store water, so thus it floods little land, saving rainforests and reducing the need to move people. When it's completed, it will be the largest hydroelectric dam in the world and the most genuinely low-carbon source of energy.
kristy

Oviedo, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 23, 2013

Judged:

<quoted text>
Couldn't have said it better myself...people like Bozo would like to keep them on the plantation. The slave owner knows whats best for the poor of Africa while living with all the luxuries that our hydroelectric dams provide.
kristy

Oviedo, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 23, 2013

Judged:

Coal is King wrote:
<quoted text>
The dam is on the Congo River at Inga Falls. It won't affect the Nile. The dam is to start construction in 2015 and is supported by the African Development Bank and the World Bank.
kristy

Oviedo, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 23, 2013

Judged:

Patriot AKA Bozo wrote:
<quoted text>
Some of those folks would be very happy with even a good cooking pot! How is electricity going to help them?
Oh lord....slave owner mentality at work again. So I don't know, how would electricity help them?. I mean there's no evidence that electricity changes civilizations. I mean we are still using wood and dung to cook with and washing our clothes on the rivers. If just someone would give us a clean burning cooking stove, our lives would be complete.

Glenwood Springs, CO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 23, 2013

Judged:

kristy wrote:
<quoted text>
Oh lord....slave owner mentality at work again. So I don't know, how would electricity help them?. I mean there's no evidence that electricity changes civilizations. I mean we are still using wood and dung to cook with and washing our clothes on the rivers. If just someone would give us a clean burning cooking stove, our lives would be complete.
And of course those folks could go out and buy an electric skillet and a crockpot to cook in. Perhaps a flat screen TV, a washer and dryer, and an electric can opener. Good grief, many hardly can afford a decent cooking pot. There are no big solutions. Try to think for a change!
Coal is King

Hopkinsville, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 23, 2013

Judged:

kristy wrote:
<quoted text>
By the way, the dam that is starting construction in 2015 is at the Inga Falls on the Congo River. Due to the Congo River's flow being so strong and so constant, enormous power can be extracted without a large dam to store water, so thus it floods little land, saving rainforests and reducing the need to move people. When it's completed, it will be the largest hydroelectric dam in the world and the most genuinely low-carbon source of energy.
My mistake. I thought you were talking about the new dam that Ethiopia is building on the Nile.

Congo? Yep, it's a real promising place:

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/07/23/opinion/con...

Inga Falls dam will end up like every other development project in Africa has. Most likely the dam will never be finished and the money will end up in the local African dictator's Swiss bank account.
GEEWIZ

Versailles, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 23, 2013

Judged:

Burn that COAL good 4 cheap dependable electric.use that green energy and b broke and in the dark.
litesong

Stanwood, WA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 23, 2013

Judged:

cheezwhiz wrote:
Burn that COAL good.......
"cheezwhiz" lives in KY, where regional downwinders from coal plants have the highest cancer rates in the the nation.
kristy

Oviedo, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 23, 2013

Judged:

Patriot AKA Bozo wrote:
<quoted text>
And of course those folks could go out and buy an electric skillet and a crockpot to cook in. Perhaps a flat screen TV, a washer and dryer, and an electric can opener. Good grief, many hardly can afford a decent cooking pot. There are no big solutions. Try to think for a change!
Which came first? The electricity or the manufacturing jobs? Which came first? The electricity or the crockpot?
kristy

Oviedo, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 23, 2013

Judged:

Coal is King wrote:
<quoted text>
My mistake. I thought you were talking about the new dam that Ethiopia is building on the Nile.
Congo? Yep, it's a real promising place:
http://www.nytimes.com/2013/07/23/opinion/con...
Inga Falls dam will end up like every other development project in Africa has. Most likely the dam will never be finished and the money will end up in the local African dictator's Swiss bank account.
Not disagreeing with you about the corruption and civil wars. One of the main problems in Africa is their open-ended aid from all over the world. This really needs to stop. We seem to keep rewarding corruption. But at the same time, Africa does need a major energy source to make it attractive to new businesses but it's a catch 22, because the corruption and civil wars make it unattractive. The Inga Dam is being backed by the World Bank and other sources, so I would hope there would be some oversight of the project. South Africa has already agreed to buy half of the power from the first stage which in turn will help finance the completion of the dam.
Coal is King

Hopkinsville, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 23, 2013

Judged:

kristy wrote:
<quoted text>
Not disagreeing with you about the corruption and civil wars. One of the main problems in Africa is their open-ended aid from all over the world. This really needs to stop. We seem to keep rewarding corruption. But at the same time, Africa does need a major energy source to make it attractive to new businesses but it's a catch 22, because the corruption and civil wars make it unattractive. The Inga Dam is being backed by the World Bank and other sources, so I would hope there would be some oversight of the project. South Africa has already agreed to buy half of the power from the first stage which in turn will help finance the completion of the dam.
Nothing will ever "make Africa attractive to new businesses". As to the World Bank and "some oversight of the project" the only oversight that ever worked in Africa was European colonial rule. Even then Africa proved to be a bottomless sinkhole. Africa is a hopeless case. Write it off.

Glenwood Springs, CO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 23, 2013

Judged:

kristy wrote:
<quoted text>
Which came first? The electricity or the manufacturing jobs? Which came first? The electricity or the crockpot?
Manufacturing jobs for sure. I believe the industrial revolution started with steam power provided by burning wood and coal.

Not sure the crockpot but am sure who is the crackpot.

Give it up. A big dam is not going to fix Africa.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

46 Users are viewing the Chicago Forum right now

Search the Chicago Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 8 min harmonious 1,082,317
BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting... (Jan '09) 10 min wojar 174,955
Messianic Jews say they are persecuted in Israel (Jun '08) 12 min Eric 68,398
Israeli troops begin Gaza pullout as Hamas decl... (Jan '09) 45 min TRD 68,052
Last word + 2 (Mar '12) 4 hr Hatti_Hollerand 473
Amy 7-28 5 hr Sublime1 16
Ill. House Approves Legalizing Same-Sex Civil U... (Dec '10) 6 hr Terry rigsby 48,944
Topix Chitown Regulars (Aug '09) 11 hr Mister Tonka 97,562
•••

Beach Hazards Statement for Cook County was issued at July 28 at 2:52PM CDT

•••
•••
Chicago Dating

more search filters

less search filters

•••

Chicago Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000