Once slow-moving threat, global warmi...

Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds up, leaving litt...

There are 53996 comments on the Newsday story from Dec 14, 2008, titled Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds up, leaving litt.... In it, Newsday reports that:

When Bill Clinton took office in 1993, global warming was a slow-moving environmental problem that was easy to ignore.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Newsday.

“I Luv Carbon Dioxide”

Since: Dec 08

Home, sweet home.

#37238 Jul 18, 2013
SpaceBlues wrote:
Why do you interfere with US when you live in Germany?
I'm a US citizen, I vote too! I found work outside the US, because of the economy. I pay US taxes.

Why do you?

“Happy, warm and comfortable”

Since: Oct 10

Mountain hideaway, SE Spain

#37239 Jul 18, 2013
cavemonkey wrote:
You're entitled to your opinion. But facts are facts.
Please cite any scientific journal or paper stating that CO2 is classed as a contaminant?

Can't?

Thought not.
kristy

Oviedo, FL

#37240 Jul 18, 2013
gcaveman1 wrote:
<quoted text>
If you hadn't noticed, every desert on Earth is different from the others. They share one feature...a shortage of water.
Celebrating the greening of some areas of desert is celebrating one possibly good thing about climate change. A little like celebrating being alive after a car wreck that kills a good friend. Yes, it's optimistic, but not realistic.
We don't constantly celebrate bad news. We acknowledge what's real. You are seizing on this one thing to project a rosy picture and ignoring the rest of the evidence.
I'm not seizing on anything. Retired farmer posted a supposition, I posted a fact.

“I Luv Carbon Dioxide”

Since: Dec 08

Home, sweet home.

#37241 Jul 18, 2013
SpaceBlues wrote:
Why do you interfere with US when you live in Germany?
S.B. doesn't like Germans or all foreigners? Like a xenophobe or a racist? And I care why?
LessHypeMoreFact

Toronto, Canada

#37242 Jul 18, 2013
Earthling-1 wrote:
<quoted text>Please cite any scientific journal or paper stating that CO2 is classed as a contaminant?
Can't?
Thought not.
This is about as rational as demanding a scientific paper to say that water is wet. Well, you might need one. Senility is so pitiful.
LessHypeMoreFact

Toronto, Canada

#37243 Jul 18, 2013
Brian_G wrote:
<quoted text>S.B. doesn't like Germans or all foreigners?
What has 'like' to do with it. I'm sure he doesn't even 'like' all Americans but he will defend THEIR right to comment.

The only validity to your post is that AGW is a global issue, not a USA issue.
Coal is King

Paducah, KY

#37245 Jul 18, 2013
More voices from the coalfields:

From London, KY:

“There are so many people losing their jobs in the coal mines in Kentucky. Can we legally do anything to stop more coal mines from shutting down? I'm worried that my boyfriend will lose his job next.”

From London, KY (reply)

“My suggestion would be to vote against the politicians who don't support coal mining.”

From London, KY

“Rand Paul and Mitch McConnell sure aren't doing much to save our coal jobs. They won't get my vote during the next election.”

From Richmond, KY (reply to above)

“What do you want them to do? The president is bypassing congress with executive orders to the EPA. The damn democratic president has put us where we are now, so show everyone your ignorance and vote for a democrat. Idiot”

From Manchester, KY

“I in my life time have worked many different types of jobs. Coal has supported me for years now, but not always. pay is less and less every year. Goverment is bigger and bigger. If you would take the lady that flips burgers and works two or three jobs and let her be in control of goverment spending, than you would see how much we would save. Take a older couple who worked all their lives that lives on a ss check and see how much they would cut spending. Big goverment is hurting us all. No reason to bicker amoung ourselves. This country is run by people who have NEVER needed for money. They have no clue how many they hurt!!!!!”

From Hazard, KY

“Guys, I think coal is gone...they say that they are opening 7 mines in Pikeville, but my husband said, that he'd heard talk it was the Chinese who bought those, and if that is true, they will bring their own workers in here.”

From Knoxville, TN

“COAL provided GOOD JOBS. And coal COULD be quite viable, if it was not being FORCED out of business by MADE-UP, PILED-ON Regulations.”

From London, KY

“[Obama] want to save the world by starving the working class!! its not just COAL!!!”

From Virgie, KY:

“Obama is not doing this not knowing what he is doing… Obamacare is here to stay. The only reason he delayed employer mandated health insurance for one year is to win the House back,keep Congress,eliminate the Republican Party,seal the Democrat Party as the only party.45% of the population doesn't understand they have to buy health insurance beginnning next year.They won't understand that until Jan.2015 when the IRS begins fining them,after the congressional elections of 2014.That's when he really loses support but if he has Congress it will be paid little attention,if the Republicans hold the House they'll be blamed for people having to buy health insurance.I don't believe Obama will leave office after 2016 because the dollar will probably collapse sometime before the end of 2016.”

Since: Jul 11

Location hidden

#37246 Jul 18, 2013
kristy wrote:
<quoted text>
What exactly is Glenn Beck doing that is highly immoral?

It's not realistic to believe that the science is settled and it's not realistic to believe only bad things happen with increased OO2, because as you say we must have an open mind, but when it comes to global warming it seems that is not allowed.
For a start Beck declared Obama as the new Hitler in disguise and all those that follow the same blind sheep that followed the Nazi party in WW2.
or "The only [Katrina victims] we're seeing on television are the scumbags." –"The Glenn Beck Program," Sept. 9, 2005
or "Al Gore's not going to be rounding up Jews and exterminating them. It is the same tactic, however. The goal is different. The goal is globalization...And you must silence all dissenting voices. That's what Hitler did. That's what Al Gore, the U.N., and everybody on the global warming bandwagon [are doing]." –"The Glenn Beck Program," May 1, 2007

There are 100's of other gems like this suggesting he is not of sound mind to be able to broadcast these messages to the masses.

As for an open mind to the science, logic and pure common sense should tell you. Given there are 100 bad things predicted and one good thing, which one would you feel you need to act on ?
Yet this is what deniers base their entire argument on, that one positive against a hundred negative as a reason not to act. So who is really being stupid here.

Since: Mar 09

Wichita, KS

#37247 Jul 18, 2013
Coal is King wrote:
More voices from the coalfields:
From London, KY:
“There are so many people losing their jobs in the coal mines in Kentucky. Can we legally do anything to stop more coal mines from shutting down? I'm worried that my boyfriend will lose his job next.”
From London, KY (reply)
“My suggestion would be to vote against the politicians who don't support coal mining.”
From London, KY
“Rand Paul and Mitch McConnell sure aren't doing much to save our coal jobs. They won't get my vote during the next election.”
From Richmond, KY (reply to above)
“What do you want them to do? The president is bypassing congress with executive orders to the EPA. The damn democratic president has put us where we are now, so show everyone your ignorance and vote for a democrat. Idiot”
From Manchester, KY
“I in my life time have worked many different types of jobs. Coal has supported me for years now, but not always. pay is less and less every year. Goverment is bigger and bigger. If you would take the lady that flips burgers and works two or three jobs and let her be in control of goverment spending, than you would see how much we would save. Take a older couple who worked all their lives that lives on a ss check and see how much they would cut spending. Big goverment is hurting us all. No reason to bicker amoung ourselves. This country is run by people who have NEVER needed for money. They have no clue how many they hurt!!!!!”
From Hazard, KY
“Guys, I think coal is gone...they say that they are opening 7 mines in Pikeville, but my husband said, that he'd heard talk it was the Chinese who bought those, and if that is true, they will bring their own workers in here.”
From Knoxville, TN
“COAL provided GOOD JOBS. And coal COULD be quite viable, if it was not being FORCED out of business by MADE-UP, PILED-ON Regulations.”
From London, KY
“[Obama] want to save the world by starving the working class!! its not just COAL!!!”
From Virgie, KY:
“Obama is not doing this not knowing what he is doing… Obamacare is here to stay. The only reason he delayed employer mandated health insurance for one year is to win the House back,keep Congress,eliminate the Republican Party,seal the Democrat Party as the only party.45% of the population doesn't understand they have to buy health insurance beginnning next year.They won't understand that until Jan.2015 when the IRS begins fining them,after the congressional elections of 2014.That's when he really loses support but if he has Congress it will be paid little attention,if the Republicans hold the House they'll be blamed for people having to buy health insurance.I don't believe Obama will leave office after 2016 because the dollar will probably collapse sometime before the end of 2016.”
What does health insurance have to do with global warming advancing?

Things change. Not much work for mules today. large sailing ships are not too popular. Ice houses don't have much business today. Telegraph operators are not all that useful. Whale oil is not used for lighting that much. It always hurts those who have put their life work into a service and it is obsoleted. I feel sorry for those who have lost their livelyhood. I lost mine once and had to change my life. It is hard.
gcaveman1

Laurel, MS

#37248 Jul 18, 2013
kristy wrote:
<quoted text>
And just suppose that increased CO2 greens the deserts across the world, such as the Sahara....Oh wait it is greening the arid regions of the world. Somehow everything bad that is supposed to happen hasn't happened, but those scientists who said that increased CO2 is good for life on Earth are being proven correct. I think we need an open mind in this debate and not automatically assume our Great Plains will turn into a desert.
http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2013/07/...
Just suppose that the temperature difference was not that great between the North Pacific and the jet stream. And just suppose that meant that the winds driven by the jet stream didn't pick up as much moisture. Suppose that meant that less water precipitated out over the Rockies and less snow fell. And suppose that smaller amount of moisture didn't get augmented by picking up moisture from those same mountains. And just suppose that lead to less rain on the Great Plains.

Now what do you suppose might happen?
Coal is King

Paducah, KY

#37249 Jul 18, 2013
Patriot AKA Bozo wrote:
<quoted text>
What does health insurance have to do with global warming advancing?
Things change. Not much work for mules today. large sailing ships are not too popular. Ice houses don't have much business today. Telegraph operators are not all that useful. Whale oil is not used for lighting that much. It always hurts those who have put their life work into a service and it is obsoleted. I feel sorry for those who have lost their livelyhood. I lost mine once and had to change my life. It is hard.
I included the last item because of these lines, "The only reason he delayed employer mandated health insurance for one year is to win the House back,keep Congress,eliminate the Republican Party,seal the Democrat Party as the only party... I don't believe Obama will leave office after 2016 because the dollar will probably collapse sometime before the end of 2016."
gcaveman1

Laurel, MS

#37250 Jul 18, 2013
Earthling-1 wrote:
<quoted text>Please cite any scientific journal or paper stating that CO2 is classed as a contaminant?
Can't?
Thought not.
http://www.google.com/url...

Since: Feb 07

Location hidden

#37251 Jul 18, 2013
101 degrees in the shade, drink water

“BET DAP”

Since: Feb 09

GOOM BOWN

#37252 Jul 18, 2013
kristy wrote:
<quoted text>
Yeah I thought it was funny that he was personally insulted he received a form letter from a senator, like no other senator other than McConnell sends out form letters telling us what we want to hear. I asked retired farmer what he wants the compromise of the farm bill to contain, but no response.
I noticed the non response, too. Some people just feel entitled, I suppose.

“BET DAP”

Since: Feb 09

GOOM BOWN

#37253 Jul 18, 2013
gcaveman1 wrote:
<quoted text>

We don't constantly celebrate bad news. We acknowledge what's real.
Actually, son, your crowd invents bad news! You 'celebrate' every natural disaster with a "see-see" attitude. YET.....you can't acknowledge the FACT that co2 mitigation has been shown to change one thing about the climate.

Intellectual dishonesty is the worst kind of lie, son. Straighten up your act.

#37254 Jul 19, 2013
LessFactMoreHype wrote:
Senility is so pitiful.
So I've heard, you have my pity, I hope it doesn't cause you too much pain.

#37255 Jul 19, 2013
Not one specifies CO2 as a contaminant.
cavemonkey wrote:
"Title: New Sorbents to Control CO2 and Multi-Contaminant Emissions"
"... CO2 leaks drive contaminants up ..."
The "contaminats" don't include CO2.
No mention of "contaminant" in that article.
CO2 "contaminates" mud.
How serious is that?
You "contaminate" by breathing, moving, touching and evacuating waste products.
CO2 "contaminates" gas.

If this is you point, everything on the planet can be classed as a contaminant if introduced into the wrong place, so be careful where you play, never forget the playground is next to the waste disposal unit.

#37256 Jul 19, 2013
What happened to the speeding up of the "Once slow-moving threat, global warming ..."

How much "little time ..." have we got left?

#37257 Jul 19, 2013
Yes, I was wrong, but anything can be a contaminant in the wrong place:

Theoretical study of oxygen contaminated silicon quantum dots:
http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/...
The difference between "impurities" and "contaminants" is really semantic. Either term denotes the presence (usually in small concentrations) of undesirable chemical or physical substances dissolved into or mixed with some other desirable substance.

However, the word "contaminant" has the connotation of unnatural addition of undesirable substances while the word "impurities" connotes substances that are present, but which were probably there to begin with and need to be removed to make the desirable part "pure". There is also a connotation with the word "contaminant" which suggests substances that can cause harm, either to people, anumals[sic], or the environment.
kristy

Oviedo, FL

#37258 Jul 19, 2013
OzRitz wrote:
<quoted text>
For a start Beck declared Obama as the new Hitler in disguise and all those that follow the same blind sheep that followed the Nazi party in WW2.
or "The only [Katrina victims] we're seeing on television are the scumbags." –"The Glenn Beck Program," Sept. 9, 2005
or "Al Gore's not going to be rounding up Jews and exterminating them. It is the same tactic, however. The goal is different. The goal is globalization...And you must silence all dissenting voices. That's what Hitler did. That's what Al Gore, the U.N., and everybody on the global warming bandwagon [are doing]." –"The Glenn Beck Program," May 1, 2007
There are 100's of other gems like this suggesting he is not of sound mind to be able to broadcast these messages to the masses.
As for an open mind to the science, logic and pure common sense should tell you. Given there are 100 bad things predicted and one good thing, which one would you feel you need to act on ?
Yet this is what deniers base their entire argument on, that one positive against a hundred negative as a reason not to act. So who is really being stupid here.
Good lord, between retired farmer being in shock that he got a form a letter from a senator and you being so offended that Glenn Beck called the president Hitler, it makes one wonder if you are really aware of what happens outside of your bubble. Let’s see, just a partial list of the “unsound people” who called Bush Hitler includes George Soros, Barbara Streisand, RJF Jr., Jesse Jackson, Julian Bond, Keith Ellison, Keith Olbermann. They called Bush Hitler for starting 2 wars, enacting the Patriot Act, and for torture, Gitmo, recess appointments and using executive orders. Obama comes into presidency keeps the Patriot Act and expands it, has a kill list, keeps Gitmo open, bypasses congress through regulations and executive orders, uses the recess appointments, goes after whistleblowers more than all the Presidents combined, is the least transparent, secretly goes after reporter’s phone records and the Huffington Post even ran a headline called “George W. Obama.” So in reality, Glenn Beck is just agreeing with all those “unsound” people who said Bush was Hitler because Obama is just an extension of Bush.

You always claim that people should have an open mind, but I guess it’s only limited to views you agree with. So good job smearing people you don’t like. It was brilliant posting that Katrina quote. What was really brilliant was not showing everything that was said in relation to the quote and really brilliant not telling everyone where Beck was and what he was doing at the time he said it. Good job.

And another brilliant move of attacking the messenger regarding Al Gore and globalization. Is Glenn Beck like your squirrel to detract from what is being said in the real world or do you just really live in your bubble? Regarding the passage of the climate bill in the house in 2009, Gore said this: But it is the awareness itself that will drive the change and one of the ways it will drive the change is through global governance and global agreements. Gore isn’t the only one that has talked of global government, but that’s the one you brought up.

Regarding the 100 bad things, like you said “predicted.” But it’s funny weird that everything that is predicted is end of the world stuff and nothing positive. The warming has come to a standstill, which was never “predicted” by the computer models. We are bombarded that extreme weather is increasing, but no one has shown any quantitative basis or scientific study to back it up. There has been no pattern of increased hurricanes, tornados, fires, droughts, etc. But every tragedy is celebrated as if global warming is the cause. Very strange.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Chicago Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting... (Jan '09) 15 min Dr Guru 192,397
News Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 31 min Quirky 1,252,096
easter house adoptions (Jan '11) 2 hr Julie 28
Another Centralia, IL Police Scandal: Officer ... 4 hr Counselor48 1
Ask Amy 7-5-15 8 hr mrs gladys kravitz 4
5 Truths You Cannot Disagree With. 9 hr Dave 11
{keep A word drop A word} (Oct '11) 10 hr Analog man 6,147
More from around the web

Chicago People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Personal Finance

Chicago Mortgages