Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds up, leaving litt...

Full story: Newsday 47,081
When Bill Clinton took office in 1993, global warming was a slow-moving environmental problem that was easy to ignore. Full Story
SpaceBlues

Houston, TX

#37077 Jul 17, 2013
Brian_G wrote:
The Tea Party aren't libertarians; we believe in s strong national defense. Our domestic agenda is similar; end intrusive regulation, stop wasteful government spending and stop higher taxes. We aren't for legalizing dope either.
Why do you interfere with US when you live in Germany?
back in the day

Johnson City, TN

#37078 Jul 17, 2013
If your stupid and want to believe whatever then just set yourself on fire now, the sun is growing isn't it or I have been told? But for all you people who believe and preach evolution want we just adapt and be ok? Or do you believe like the Bible says there will always be the seasons. I like the Bibles version its not all weird and scary or going to dig in my wallet like the government can and if everyone believed that, I wouldn't have to start paying some extra tax, or go to war with Cuba or Uganda because they are environmental terrorist or something stupid like Al Gore. Just let it die like we all will anyway, what do you have to loose? This earth is going to be burned up, the sun is growing could that be it? Or should we help someone starving for right now, because many will just adapt that believes that shit want they?

Since: Mar 09

Wichita, KS

#37086 Jul 17, 2013
back in the day wrote:
If your stupid and want to believe whatever then just set yourself on fire now, the sun is growing isn't it or I have been told? But for all you people who believe and preach evolution want we just adapt and be ok? Or do you believe like the Bible says there will always be the seasons. I like the Bibles version its not all weird and scary or going to dig in my wallet like the government can and if everyone believed that, I wouldn't have to start paying some extra tax, or go to war with Cuba or Uganda because they are environmental terrorist or something stupid like Al Gore. Just let it die like we all will anyway, what do you have to loose? This earth is going to be burned up, the sun is growing could that be it? Or should we help someone starving for right now, because many will just adapt that believes that shit want they?
If you are going to use the Bible as your excuse to ignore environmental damage to the planet, you need to reread!
"Genesis 1:26 - Then God said,'Let us make man in our image, in our likeness, and let them rule over the fish of the sea and the birds of the air, over the livestock, over all the earth, and over all the creatures that move along the ground.'(NIV)

Leviticus 25:23-24 - The land must not be sold permanently, because the land is mine and you are but aliens and my tenants. Throughout the country that you hold as a possession, you must provide for the redemption of the land.(NIV)

Ezekial 34:2-4 - Son of man, prophesy against the shepherds of Israel; prophesy and say to them:'This is what the Sovereign LORD says: Woe to the shepherds of Israel who only take care of themselves! Should not shepherds take care of the flock? You eat the curds, clothe yourselves with the wool and slaughter the choice animals, but you do not take care of the flock. You have not strengthened the weak or healed the sick or bound up the injured. You have not brought back the strays or searched for the lost. You have ruled them harshly and brutally.(NIV)

Isaiah 24:4-6 - The earth dries up and withers, the world languishes and withers, the exalted of the earth languish. The earth is defiled by its people; they have disobeyed the laws, violated the statutes and broken the everlasting covenant. Therefore a curse consumes the earth; its people must bear their guilt. Therefore earth's inhabitants are burned up, and very few are left.(NIV)

Jeremiah 2:7 - I brought you into a fertile land to eat its fruit and rich produce. But you came and defiled my land and made my inheritance detestable.(NIV)

Revelation 11:18 - The nations were angry; and your wrath has come. The time has come for judging the dead, and for rewarding your servants the prophets and your saints and those who reverence your name, both small and great and for destroying those who destroy the earth. "
Retired Farmer

Princeton, KY

#37087 Jul 17, 2013
Patriot AKA Bozo wrote:
<quoted text>
If you are going to use the Bible as your excuse to ignore environmental damage to the planet, you need to reread!
"Genesis 1:26 - Then God said,'Let us make man in our image, in our likeness, and let them rule over the fish of the sea and the birds of the air, over the livestock, over all the earth, and over all the creatures that move along the ground.'(NIV)
Leviticus 25:23-24 - The land must not be sold permanently, because the land is mine and you are but aliens and my tenants. Throughout the country that you hold as a possession, you must provide for the redemption of the land.(NIV)
Ezekial 34:2-4 - Son of man, prophesy against the shepherds of Israel; prophesy and say to them:'This is what the Sovereign LORD says: Woe to the shepherds of Israel who only take care of themselves! Should not shepherds take care of the flock? You eat the curds, clothe yourselves with the wool and slaughter the choice animals, but you do not take care of the flock. You have not strengthened the weak or healed the sick or bound up the injured. You have not brought back the strays or searched for the lost. You have ruled them harshly and brutally.(NIV)
Isaiah 24:4-6 - The earth dries up and withers, the world languishes and withers, the exalted of the earth languish. The earth is defiled by its people; they have disobeyed the laws, violated the statutes and broken the everlasting covenant. Therefore a curse consumes the earth; its people must bear their guilt. Therefore earth's inhabitants are burned up, and very few are left.(NIV)
Jeremiah 2:7 - I brought you into a fertile land to eat its fruit and rich produce. But you came and defiled my land and made my inheritance detestable.(NIV)
Revelation 11:18 - The nations were angry; and your wrath has come. The time has come for judging the dead, and for rewarding your servants the prophets and your saints and those who reverence your name, both small and great and for destroying those who destroy the earth. "
Just yesterday afternoon I got in a conversation with a woman about the mess that the economy is in. Her sentiments are those of the Tea Party although she is not politically active. She is poor but for some reason she identifies with the wealthiest 10 percent because she owns her own home, which is quite modest. She does not get food stamps although I think her income (Social Security) is low enough that she would qualify. She is also very religious. All she does all day is watch preachers on television. Her solution to the economy, global warming, or really any other problem is, "Jesus will come back any day now, so we don't have to worry."

She's not alone either. I hear it all the time. Religious belief that we are living in the "End Times" has become an excuse not to even try to do anything about the world's problems.

Since: Jul 11

Location hidden

#37088 Jul 17, 2013
kristy wrote:
<quoted text>
What is it with you all and religion? I'm not religious. Having God in an oath really means nothing to me. It's just a word. But again, you have proven that the middle has moved far to the left when you are arguing that boys in girls' locker rooms or bathrooms is a non-issue. Ten years ago, if I had said that someday they will make laws like this, everyone would have said that's crazy talk.
Political correctness has evolved into our lives like it or not. As for Religion, those associated with the right usually hide behind religion as most conflicts in the world have religion as a component. It gives them a sense of morality to do totally immoral acts. For instance someone like Glen Beck a self confessed drunk, says he found God, so he makes statements wrapping them up in religion as if that is what God would do. Well to normal people, one might think that he found Satan instead. So yourself not being religious is the EXCEPTION not the rule. Political correctness is designed not to allow any form of persecution of a minority group. However it can turn into the fun police as well, like kids not being allowed to sing Christmas corals at school, or the local shopping mall not putting up Christmas decorations because it has a high Muslim population living in that area. At this point, it would have to be argued that a minority group is dictating to the masses. So there is no perfect balance with PC. The global warming debate was turned into a religious argument by the right labelling it a cult. So at every turn Religion comes up as a barricade to add emphasis to a political message. The Global Warming debate is no different than Darwin trying to sell his theory of evolution, it's still argued with today. Why because it might conflict with religious beliefs. Then you go into higher levels of science on how the universe was created etc with the likes of Stephen Hawking & others searching for the so called God particle is an example of man using advances in technology and knowledge with an open mind as it should be.
Not to dismiss acquired knowledge just because it conflicts with a lifestyle or a political culture of filtering facts.
David Harris

Johnson City, TN

#37089 Jul 17, 2013
Patriot AKA Bozo wrote:
<quoted text>
No what I read was the meek shall inherit the earth? Isaiah 60:21
Thy people also shall be all righteous: they shall inherit the land for ever, the branch of my planting, the work of my hands, that I may be glorified......, and where I got my last statement from was
1.Genesis 8:22
While the earth remaineth, seedtime and harvest, and cold and heat, and summer and winter, and day and night shall not cease
David Harris

Johnson City, TN

#37090 Jul 17, 2013
But you can believe whatever I cannot stop you, didn't people die for that? Isnt that what God allowed you to do. But interesting response!
Retired Farmer

Princeton, KY

#37091 Jul 17, 2013
David Harris wrote:
<quoted text> 1.Genesis 8:22
While the earth remaineth, seedtime and harvest, and cold and heat, and summer and winter, and day and night shall not cease
And just suppose that global warming changes the climate enough that the Great Plains, America's breadbasket, turns into the Great American Desert. That field that is being seeded and harvested will be in Russian Siberia!

I ordinarily don't get personal, but you are an idiot.

“Let's X Change!!”

Since: Feb 09

B4 HOPE Is Gone...

#37092 Jul 17, 2013
Retired Farmer wrote:
<quoted text>
And just suppose that global warming changes the climate enough that the Great Plains, America's breadbasket, turns into the Great American Desert. That field that is being seeded and harvested will be in Russian Siberia!
it's always personal for you, hayseed. that's why you felt personally insulted when the good senator sent you a form letter.

you want to be heard and think you deserve better than you provided for yourself. i bet you cursed government when you couldn't make a decent crop.....now you expect government to pay the bills.

move to korea.

Since: Mar 09

Wichita, KS

#37093 Jul 17, 2013
David Harris wrote:
But you can believe whatever I cannot stop you, didn't people die for that? Isnt that what God allowed you to do. But interesting response!
Like many radical RW, Bible thumping, born again, Tea Party Christians, you just pick and choose what parts of the Bible you want to believe. The Earth and all that is in it is Gods Creation. Do you disrespect His Creation so much that you trash it?
SpaceBlues

Houston, TX

#37094 Jul 17, 2013
Did you know power plants account for more than 40 percent the fresh water drawn from lakes and rivers in the US each day?

“Happy, warm and comfortable”

Since: Oct 10

Mountain hideaway, SE Spain

#37227 Jul 18, 2013
cavemonkey wrote:
From Merriam-Webster: Pollution is the introduction of contaminants into the natural environment that cause adverse change.
So what, CO2 is not classed as a contaminant.

Classing it as a pollutant was beyond the pale.

“Happy, warm and comfortable”

Since: Oct 10

Mountain hideaway, SE Spain

#37228 Jul 18, 2013
Retired Farmer wrote:
So what, seeding and harvesting was carried out naturally for a few billion years until man discovered how to mimic it for his own benefit.
In geologic time, that was only a few seconds ago.
Retired Farmer wrote:
You should stick to not getting personal.
gcaveman1

Laurel, MS

#37230 Jul 18, 2013
Earthling-1 wrote:
<quoted text>So what, CO2 is not classed as a contaminant.
Classing it as a pollutant was beyond the pale.
You're entitled to your opinion. But facts are facts.
gcaveman1

Laurel, MS

#37231 Jul 18, 2013
David Harris wrote:
<quoted text> No what I read was the meek shall inherit the earth? Isaiah 60:21
Thy people also shall be all righteous: they shall inherit the land for ever, the branch of my planting, the work of my hands, that I may be glorified......, and where I got my last statement from was
1.Genesis 8:22
Further proof that you can justify about anything with the Bible, from pimping out your daughters (Genesis 19:8) to genocide (Numbers 21:35).

"It is full of interest. It has noble poetry in it; and some clever fables; and some blood-drenched history; and some good morals; and a wealth of obscenity; and upwards of a thousand lies." -- Mark Twain, Letters From the Earth
kristy

Oviedo, FL

#37232 Jul 18, 2013
OzRitz wrote:
<quoted text>
Political correctness has evolved into our lives like it or not. As for Religion, those associated with the right usually hide behind religion as most conflicts in the world have religion as a component. It gives them a sense of morality to do totally immoral acts. For instance someone like Glen Beck a self confessed drunk, says he found God, so he makes statements wrapping them up in religion as if that is what God would do. Well to normal people, one might think that he found Satan instead. So yourself not being religious is the EXCEPTION not the rule. Political correctness is designed not to allow any form of persecution of a minority group. However it can turn into the fun police as well, like kids not being allowed to sing Christmas corals at school, or the local shopping mall not putting up Christmas decorations because it has a high Muslim population living in that area. At this point, it would have to be argued that a minority group is dictating to the masses. So there is no perfect balance with PC. The global warming debate was turned into a religious argument by the right labelling it a cult. So at every turn Religion comes up as a barricade to add emphasis to a political message. The Global Warming debate is no different than Darwin trying to sell his theory of evolution, it's still argued with today. Why because it might conflict with religious beliefs. Then you go into higher levels of science on how the universe was created etc with the likes of Stephen Hawking & others searching for the so called God particle is an example of man using advances in technology and knowledge with an open mind as it should be.
Not to dismiss acquired knowledge just because it conflicts with a lifestyle or a political culture of filtering facts.
We differ on our view of religion. Although I'm not religious, I respect it. I don't dismiss someone because they believe in God or I don't think they are idiots for having faith. If there are religious symbols in our society, I don't care one way or another if it is there, unlike the hard-core atheists who want every religious symbol removed from public property. I do appreciate the fact that here in Florida, the atheists finally just put their own monument up representing their nonbelief in God next to a monument of the 10 commandants. That's how America works. Freedom of religion.

What exactly is Glenn Beck doing that is highly immoral?

The reason why the global warming debate is viewed as religion is because of the intolerance of questioning the science. Science doesn't work that way. I believe the Nobel Prize-winning physicist Ivar Giaever, who resigned from the American Physical Society becuase of the APS statement on global warming said it best when he said this:

"I did not renew [my membership] because I cannot live with the [APS policy] statement:'The evidence is incontrovertible: Global warming is occurring. If no mitigating actions are taken, significant disruptions in the Earth's physical and ecological systems, social systems, security and human health are likely to occur. We must reduce emissions of greenhouse gases beginning now.' In the APS it is OK to discuss whether the mass of the proton changes over time and how a multi-universe behaves, but the evidence of global warming is incontrovertible?"

It's not realistic to believe that the science is settled and it's not realistic to believe only bad things happen with increased OO2, because as you say we must have an open mind, but when it comes to global warming it seems that is not allowed.
kristy

Oviedo, FL

#37233 Jul 18, 2013
Retired Farmer wrote:
<quoted text>
And just suppose that increased CO2 greens the deserts across the world, such as the Sahara....Oh wait it is greening the arid regions of the world. Somehow everything bad that is supposed to happen hasn't happened, but those scientists who said that increased CO2 is good for life on Earth are being proven correct. I think we need an open mind in this debate and not automatically assume our Great Plains will turn into a desert.

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2013/07/...
kristy

Oviedo, FL

#37234 Jul 18, 2013
ritedownthemiddle wrote:
<quoted text>it's always personal for you, hayseed. that's why you felt personally insulted when the good senator sent you a form letter.
you want to be heard and think you deserve better than you provided for yourself. i bet you cursed government when you couldn't make a decent crop.....now you expect government to pay the bills.
move to korea.
Yeah I thought it was funny that he was personally insulted he received a form letter from a senator, like no other senator other than McConnell sends out form letters telling us what we want to hear. I asked retired farmer what he wants the compromise of the farm bill to contain, but no response.
gcaveman1

Laurel, MS

#37235 Jul 18, 2013
kristy wrote:
<quoted text>
And just suppose that increased CO2 greens the deserts across the world, such as the Sahara....Oh wait it is greening the arid regions of the world. Somehow everything bad that is supposed to happen hasn't happened, but those scientists who said that increased CO2 is good for life on Earth are being proven correct. I think we need an open mind in this debate and not automatically assume our Great Plains will turn into a desert.
http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2013/07/...
If you hadn't noticed, every desert on Earth is different from the others. They share one feature...a shortage of water.

Celebrating the greening of some areas of desert is celebrating one possibly good thing about climate change. A little like celebrating being alive after a car wreck that kills a good friend. Yes, it's optimistic, but not realistic.

We don't constantly celebrate bad news. We acknowledge what's real. You are seizing on this one thing to project a rosy picture and ignoring the rest of the evidence.
William Rickards

Dartford, UK

#37236 Jul 18, 2013
If you care about the world we live in, please sign this petition, if enough people sign it, we can bring about change!

http://www.avaaz.org/en/petition/Stop_Global_...

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Chicago Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 2 min Right 1,115,809
Ill. House Approves Legalizing Same-Sex Civil U... (Dec '10) 11 min Jonah1 50,078
IL Who do you support for Governor in Illinois in ... (Oct '10) 15 min Nono 4,060
Rauner, Quinn clash on Obamacare expansion ahea... 36 min Le Jimbo 6
Amy 10-2 43 min he who knows 8
Israeli troops begin Gaza pullout as Hamas decl... (Jan '09) 1 hr Cheftell 68,568
BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting... (Jan '09) 1 hr loose cannon 178,625
Topix Chitown Regulars (Aug '09) 4 hr PEllen 98,375
Chicago Dating
Find my Match

Chicago Jobs

Chicago People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Chicago News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Chicago

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]