Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds up, leaving litt...

Full story: Newsday

When Bill Clinton took office in 1993, global warming was a slow-moving environmental problem that was easy to ignore.

Comments (Page 1,740)

Showing posts 34,781 - 34,800 of45,432
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:

Since: Jul 11

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 8, 2013

Judged:

ritedownthemiddle wrote:
<quoted text>has anyone ever told you that you make no sense at all?
Of course I don't because you are programmed to filter out "sense". It was a comparison analogy showing pig headed ideology vs what benefits the common good.
gcaveman1

Louin, MS

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 8, 2013

ritedownthemiddle wrote:
<quoted text>LOL....watch your temper, Gump. BTW, I believe many theories are worth a shyt. Especially ones that have studies to back them up. Haven't seen one where man made co2 sequestration will do anything to alter climate. Have you?? Didn't think so. You can shut up now.
You appear to be taking Braindead's tack, and have his same lack of reasoning ability.

GHG's is causing temperature rise; limit/reduce GHG's and temps will drop.

If you find yourself in a hole, stop digging.
Coal is King

Kuttawa, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 8, 2013

Judged:

gcaveman1 wrote:
<quoted text>
Hate to shock you (not really), but foreigners have done a lot of things before or better than us. We're good, but will we call ourselves supermen?
Might doesn't make right.
What your type doesn't understand is the connectiveness of the world today, and how American Cowboyism doesn't always work. The American way was being so arrogant we sent our boys Hummers with canvas doors.
It's a different world; you need to adapt or die.
No. It is not a different world. It is that Americans have lost the guts to be a Great Power.

Cloth doors on Hummers would be just fine if our boys weren't sent into places like Afghanistan and Iraq in them. Obama's piddling around with drone strikes on individual terrorists won't get the job done either. All that does is make the natives mad and creates a dozen new terrorists for every existing one an American missile kills.

President Bush should never have sent troops into Afghanistan and Iraq after the 9-11 attack. He should have told the Taliban regime in Afghanistan, "The people who did this are in your country. Here is the list. Hand them over to us within 24 hours..., or your country will be subjected to a rain of destruction from the sky such as has not been seen on this earth since God rained down fire and brimstone on Sodom and Gomorrah." And when they refused, he should have dropped that rain of fire on them.

Since: Mar 09

Wichita, KS

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 8, 2013

Judged:

Coal is King wrote:
<quoted text>
No. It is not a different world. It is that Americans have lost the guts to be a Great Power.
Cloth doors on Hummers would be just fine if our boys weren't sent into places like Afghanistan and Iraq in them. Obama's piddling around with drone strikes on individual terrorists won't get the job done either. All that does is make the natives mad and creates a dozen new terrorists for every existing one an American missile kills.
President Bush should never have sent troops into Afghanistan and Iraq after the 9-11 attack. He should have told the Taliban regime in Afghanistan, "The people who did this are in your country. Here is the list. Hand them over to us within 24 hours..., or your country will be subjected to a rain of destruction from the sky such as has not been seen on this earth since God rained down fire and brimstone on Sodom and Gomorrah." And when they refused, he should have dropped that rain of fire on them.
Some folks are proud to be redneck. "Kill 'em all and let God sort 'em out." I am glad that there are enough liberals to squash the likes of you.
Coal is King

Kuttawa, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 8, 2013

Judged:

Fortunately for you there have always been enough of us rednecks to do the fighting to keep you miserable, spineless, gutless liberals safe from our enemies.
LessHypeMoreFact

Toronto, Canada

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 8, 2013

Judged:

Coal is King wrote:
Fortunately for you there have always been enough of us rednecks to do the fighting to keep you miserable, spineless, gutless liberals safe from our enemies.
You more or less create and support the enemies and sell them the arms to fight with. Then you waste the lives of innocent US kids to beat them off selling MORE weapons for 'defense'.

The spineless worms who do this are ALWAYS safe at home. And mostly trying to evade the COST of the wars they decide are 'needed'.\

I wouldn't even characterize them as 'rednecks'. Mostly they are rich, white and entitled. And own munitions factories or other 'military industrial complex' corporations fattened on public funds.

There is a reason that the US spends more on 'defense' than the rest of the world combined and that doesn't include TWO UNFUNDED wars (the primary source of the current debt and fiscal crisis).

But people like you ARE stupid enough to wave the flag when you should be using REASON and COMMON SENSE. If there is an insult to being a redneck, YOU are the basis.
gcaveman1

Louin, MS

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 8, 2013

Coal is King wrote:
<quoted text>
That's about what happened. You must have been too busy to notice because you were downloading all the Lil Kim drivel you could.

September 2001: Ahmed Shah Massoud, leader of the anti-Taliban Northern Alliance, is assassinated in a bombing.
Following the Sept 11 attacks, President Bush delivers list of demands to Taliban, including the demand that they turn over al-Qaeda leadership or face destruction.

October 2001: The U.S., with British support, commences the bombing of Afghanistan. Operation Enduring Freedom begins.

November 2001: The Northern Alliance breaks through Taliban positions at Mazar-e Sharif. The Afghan capital, Kabul, is taken by Coalition forces.

The Taliban Falls

December 2001: The battle of Tora Bora leaves an estimated 200 al-Qaeda fighters dead, but Osama bin Laden is nowhere to be found.

The Taliban give up their stronghold of Kandahar.

Then your boy Dubya decided to make a personal revenge war on Iraq and Afghanistan and our troops there were quickly forgotten.

Coulda, shoulda, woulda. Fail.

The wholesale carpet bombing of a country (killing civilians) is considered a war crime nowadays by the civilized. Think about joining humanity; quit your evil ways.
gcaveman1

Louin, MS

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 8, 2013

Judged:

LessHypeMoreFact wrote:
<quoted text>
You more or less create and support the enemies and sell them the arms to fight with. Then you waste the lives of innocent US kids to beat them off selling MORE weapons for 'defense'.
The spineless worms who do this are ALWAYS safe at home. And mostly trying to evade the COST of the wars they decide are 'needed'.\
I wouldn't even characterize them as 'rednecks'. Mostly they are rich, white and entitled. And own munitions factories or other 'military industrial complex' corporations fattened on public funds.
There is a reason that the US spends more on 'defense' than the rest of the world combined and that doesn't include TWO UNFUNDED wars (the primary source of the current debt and fiscal crisis).
But people like you ARE stupid enough to wave the flag when you should be using REASON and COMMON SENSE. If there is an insult to being a redneck, YOU are the basis.
I think it's an insult to rednecks to try to include him in that group.
Coal is King

Kuttawa, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 8, 2013

Judged:

LessHypeMoreFact wrote:
<quoted text>
No. If it was left up to me the U.S.A. would not give or sell a single weapon, not one, to any foreign country. No "foreign aid" money either. We didn't start doing that until after World War II. Stopping would just be going back to our traditional "splendid isolation" that the U.S. abandoned during the Cold War.

There's some things that Rand Paul is for that I don't agree with, like his stand on unions and a national "right to work" law (it would greatly weaken the UMWA)but I am with him 100 percent on ending foreign aid and entanglements with foreign countries.
Coal is King

Kuttawa, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 8, 2013

Judged:

gcaveman1 wrote:
<quoted text> The wholesale carpet bombing of a country (killing civilians) is considered a war crime nowadays by the civilized.
Traditionally there were two sets of rules of war, one for when you are fighting civilized enemies and one for when you are fighting savages. The people who carried out the 9-11 attack and the people who support them are not civilized.

Religious fanaticism can only be defeated with the most severe kind of warfare. As Gen. Curtis LeMay said about the bombing of Japan, "If you kill enough of them, they stop fighting."

Wichita, KS

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 8, 2013

Judged:

gcaveman1 wrote:
<quoted text>
I think it's an insult to rednecks to try to include him in that group.
The problem with rednecks is they exist on emotion with little facts behind their reactions. They will follow anyone who appeals to their prejudices. Most are proud of their ignorance and condemn anyone who does not agree with their reality. Wrap themselves in the American Flag with out understanding what is symbolizes. Fortunately, they are a minority, even though a rather boisterous one.

I have lived around a lot of rednecks and mostly they are good folks, just misled.
gcaveman1

Louin, MS

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 8, 2013

Judged:

Coal is King wrote:
<quoted text>
No. If it was left up to me the U.S.A. would not give or sell a single weapon, not one, to any foreign country. No "foreign aid" money either. We didn't start doing that until after World War II. Stopping would just be going back to our traditional "splendid isolation" that the U.S. abandoned during the Cold War.
There's some things that Rand Paul is for that I don't agree with, like his stand on unions and a national "right to work" law (it would greatly weaken the UMWA)but I am with him 100 percent on ending foreign aid and entanglements with foreign countries.
I can't imagine what kind of world we would have today if we had allowed the USSR to be the only distributor of foreign aid during the Cold War.

The first US foreign aid was during WW1. Lend-Lease was a really big one BEFORE WW2. Go back to school.

Rand Paul in an idiot, and libertarianism always runs into problems, usually of its own creation.
gcaveman1

Louin, MS

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 8, 2013

Judged:

Coal is King wrote:
<quoted text>
Traditionally there were two sets of rules of war, one for when you are fighting civilized enemies and one for when you are fighting savages. The people who carried out the 9-11 attack and the people who support them are not civilized.
Religious fanaticism can only be defeated with the most severe kind of warfare. As Gen. Curtis LeMay said about the bombing of Japan, "If you kill enough of them, they stop fighting."
I'll let a couple of old generals deliver my response.

"You people speak so lightly of war; you don't know what you're talking about. War is a terrible thing! "

"I confess, without shame, that I am sick and tired of fighting its glory is all moonshine; even success the most brilliant is over dead and mangled bodies, with the anguish and lamentations of distant families, appealing to me for sons, husbands, and fathers ... it is only those who have never heard a shot, never heard the shriek and groans of the wounded and lacerated ... that cry aloud for more blood, more vengeance, more desolation."

-Ge. William T. Sherman had a lot more to say on the subject that just "War is all Hell!"

Then there was his adversary, Gen. Robert E. Lee: "It is well that war is so terrible, otherwise we should grow too fond of it."

And maybe you'll remember our previous war with "savages"; widely seen today as the American genocide.

You're so out of date, maybe these old conflicts will ring a bell of humanity in you.

“Let's X Change!!”

Since: Feb 09

B4 HOPE Is Gone...

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 8, 2013

Judged:

gcaveman1 wrote:
<quoted text>
You appear to be taking Braindead's tack, and have his same lack of reasoning ability.
GHG's is causing temperature rise; limit/reduce GHG's and temps will drop.
If you find yourself in a hole, stop digging.
if what you say is true....won't co2 emissions lessen the next ice age severity. Climate change in that direction is the really scary one!! Lol
gcaveman1

Louin, MS

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 8, 2013

ritedownthemiddle wrote:
<quoted text>if what you say is true....won't co2 emissions lessen the next ice age severity. Climate change in that direction is the really scary one!! Lol
According to the charts I've seen, we have already interrupted the slide down to the next ice age.

Unless we come up with a technological miracle, it'll be a long time before the Earth hits its natural rhythm again.

And they say there are no stupid questions....
Coal is King

Crofton, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 8, 2013

Judged:

gcaveman1 wrote:
<quoted text>
Republicunts want an ignorant voter base.
We've been saying the same thing about liberal Democrats for years. Our line is, "Liberal Democrats want an dependent voter base."

One way of doing that is rig the schools and the welfare system's rules so that they are encouraged to stay ignorant.

Here is an article by a liberal New York Times columnist that will back me up on this. A typical liberal, he came to eastern Kentucky so that he could paint us all as a bunch of lazy, stupid, drug addicted welfare parasites, but he could have found the same thing in Chicago, Detroit, New York, Atlanta, LA, or any other big city.

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/12/09/opinion/sun...

This is what people like me want to put an end to. There's no way to do that as long as the liberal welfare system exists. You can't fix the system. It has to be destroyed root and branch.

Wichita, KS

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 8, 2013

Judged:

Coal is King wrote:
<quoted text>
We've been saying the same thing about liberal Democrats for years. Our line is, "Liberal Democrats want an dependent voter base."
One way of doing that is rig the schools and the welfare system's rules so that they are encouraged to stay ignorant.
Here is an article by a liberal New York Times columnist that will back me up on this. A typical liberal, he came to eastern Kentucky so that he could paint us all as a bunch of lazy, stupid, drug addicted welfare parasites, but he could have found the same thing in Chicago, Detroit, New York, Atlanta, LA, or any other big city.
http://www.nytimes.com/2012/12/09/opinion/sun...
This is what people like me want to put an end to. There's no way to do that as long as the liberal welfare system exists. You can't fix the system. It has to be destroyed root and branch.
Is your solution to just let folks suffer and starve? No matter what the level, rich or poor, folks take advantage of situations. It is not found only in the poor. Poverty is a very difficult trap for folks. Once trapped, there is no easy way out for them and it becomes a way of life. It is not the programs for the impoverished that is the fault, it is the education and ambitions of the recipients. Drugs and alcohol play a big part in the abuse. When folks lose their pride and self-worth, they resort to things that take their mind off them. Meth is an epidemic that has destroyed many families. I suppose you would just let their children starve and suffer.

I guess I am a liberal because I see value in all people, not just the ones who have money. I have done volunteer work in all kinds of situations and understand that all the impoverished cannot be painted by the same brush. Many folks are there through no fault of their own, medical issues, loss of job, displaced cultures like Native Americans, mental and or physical handicaps. If someone can sort out the system abusers from the needy it would be a great help. It is better to help those who are able to escape the trap and concentrate on those who can't. Why don't you find a way to do just that?
Coal is King

Crofton, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 8, 2013

Judged:

Patriot AKA Bozo wrote:
<quoted text>
Is your solution to just let folks suffer and starve? No matter what the level, rich or poor, folks take advantage of situations. It is not found only in the poor. Poverty is a very difficult trap for folks. Once trapped, there is no easy way out for them and it becomes a way of life. It is not the programs for the impoverished that is the fault, it is the education and ambitions of the recipients. I guess I am a liberal because I see value in all people, not just the ones who have money.
This is the response that I expected from a liberal. Liberals and "Progressives" are liar and always have been. This is from a 6th grade history book Leaders in Making America by Wilbur Fisk Gordy published in 1930. The copy that I have was my mother's that she used when she was in 6th grade in 1934-35. It says, "In the interests of child welfare...the American people have made lavish provision in their schools, colelges, and universities. No other people have spent money so generously for the education of their children. In some states a complete system of tax-supported education makes it possible for boys and girls to begin at kindergarten and continue through the college and university with little cost to themselves."

That wasn't just a lie, it was what in these parts we call a damned lie. My mother had to drop out of school after that year because her parents didn't have the money to buy her books for the next year. My father had to leave at the end of the 8th grade for the same reason. Once they were out the rules were they couldn't go back.

That same book says, "[In earlier times people's] ways of living were very simple. In their homes, for example, they read by candle-light, and even, perhaps, helped to make the candles. You move a switch and your page is flooded with bright, clear light. They had to run to the spring for water and fetch it in a pail. You turn a faucet and a stream of water gushes forth."

Maybe that was true form somebody in Chicago or some other big city, but it was a lie to people like my parents. The houses that they grew up in didn't have electricity or running water. Their one room school didn't either. It had outdoor toilets. Nobody in rural Kentucky had those modern conveneinces that city liberals took for granted until after World War II. My parents got electricity in their house sometime around 1950.

My parents never had much, but they worked hard for what they had. And you liberals claim to be their friends? People like them, people like me, people who work for what we have, you see us just a source of taxes to support the welfare class that's your voter base.

Wichita, KS

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 8, 2013

Judged:

Coal is King wrote:
<quoted text>
This is the response that I expected from a liberal. Liberals and "Progressives" are liar and always have been. This is from a 6th grade history book Leaders in Making America by Wilbur Fisk Gordy published in 1930. The copy that I have was my mother's that she used when she was in 6th grade in 1934-35. It says, "In the interests of child welfare...the American people have made lavish provision in their schools, colelges, and universities. No other people have spent money so generously for the education of their children. In some states a complete system of tax-supported education makes it possible for boys and girls to begin at kindergarten and continue through the college and university with little cost to themselves."
That wasn't just a lie, it was what in these parts we call a damned lie. My mother had to drop out of school after that year because her parents didn't have the money to buy her books for the next year. My father had to leave at the end of the 8th grade for the same reason. Once they were out the rules were they couldn't go back.
That same book says, "[In earlier times people's] ways of living were very simple. In their homes, for example, they read by candle-light, and even, perhaps, helped to make the candles. You move a switch and your page is flooded with bright, clear light. They had to run to the spring for water and fetch it in a pail. You turn a faucet and a stream of water gushes forth."
Maybe that was true form somebody in Chicago or some other big city, but it was a lie to people like my parents. The houses that they grew up in didn't have electricity or running water. Their one room school didn't either. It had outdoor toilets. Nobody in rural Kentucky had those modern conveneinces that city liberals took for granted until after World War II. My parents got electricity in their house sometime around 1950.
My parents never had much, but they worked hard for what they had. And you liberals claim to be their friends? People like them, people like me, people who work for what we have, you see us just a source of taxes to support the welfare class that's your voter base.
If it makes any difference, I grew up in a home that had no electricity, an outhouse, no refrigerator, and no indoor plumbing. I walked to a one room school. We had to take lunches that would not spoil because there was no refrigerator. Heat was a coal fired stove that sat in the middle of the room, no electric lights, and no bathrooms. And I know what work is so don't try to use that card on me.

I don't give a hoot about who the poor vote for. Personally, I was a Republican most of my adult life and only parted from the Party when they began to cow-tow to the rich and famous.

Folks like you listen to liars like Limpballs who had to live off welfare. Now he denigrates the very system that fed him when he needed it. He also said, "All drug addicts should be put in jail and all drug dealers should be executed." I am not really excited about where folks like you get your hatred.
Coal is King

Kuttawa, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 8, 2013

Judged:

Patriot AKA Bozo wrote:
<quoted text>
If it makes any difference, I grew up in a home that had no electricity... I don't give a hoot about who the poor vote for. Personally, I was a Republican most of my adult life and only parted from the Party when they began to cow-tow to the rich and famous.
Funny how the world turns, ain't it? My parents were 120 percent New Deal "Mr. Roosevelt saved us all" Democrats all their lives. As the old saying goes, they would have voted for a little yellow dog if he ran as a Democrat. I was too until 1988, when the Democrats nominated Michael Dukakis for president. The more I looked at what the Democrats said in that campaign, and at what their welfare policies were doing to the country, the more I saw through their liberal lies.

And they keep telling those lies. Obamacare. All it is going to do for working people is hurt most of them. It is especially going to hurt a man in his 50s that's worked all his life in the mines or in a factory, paid for his house, has a little money put away to retire, and then got laid off and has to take a part time minimum wage job or two part time mimimum jobs that don't provide insurance. He can't afford to buy insurance, but the law says he has to have it or he gets fined. The Obamacare law says he is qualified for Medicaid because his income is low, but Catch 22 is that in most states he can't have over a certain amount in assets -- here in KY it is about $5000. So he either has to sell his house, spend the money, and spend down his savings, or go without insurance and pay the fine.

I could go on and on and on, example after example.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 34,781 - 34,800 of45,432
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
•••
•••
Chicago Dating

more search filters

less search filters

•••

Chicago Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••