Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds up, leaving litt...

Full story: Newsday

When Bill Clinton took office in 1993, global warming was a slow-moving environmental problem that was easy to ignore.
Comments
34,781 - 34,800 of 46,326 Comments Last updated 16 hrs ago

Since: Jul 11

Location hidden

#36889 Jul 9, 2013
litesong wrote:
<quoted text>
re-pubic-lick-uns never fund basic science & research. It takes away from the monies re-pubic-lick-uns send to rich people(other re-pubic-lick-uns?).
As for the 300,000 Chinese engineers, re-pubic-lick-uns always said the communist chinese(ALWAYS SMALL LETTERS) education was sub-standard. The re-pubic-lick-uns were lying because they wouldn't know, since re-pubic-lick-uns seldom get engineering, science & mathematics degrees themselves.
This is the coal king ranting on about Obama trying to get a foothold in Africa saying it was a waste of money. Well guess what, some of those 300,000 Chinese engineers are working there building railways, dams, roads, and other important infrastructure. They bring in their own labor and only use the locals for the unskilled stuff. In exchange for resources, no they are not stupid plus every ally they gain gives them more influence in having super power status. But in his mind the coal fields in the south are more important.

Location hidden

#36890 Jul 9, 2013
Coal is King wrote:
<quoted text>
No. That young man's life is ruined because he believed the liberal's Big Lie about education. From the very first day of first grade he was told that education was the ticket to the good life. They have posters on the doors of school rooms that tell kids if they drop out of high school they will make X amount of money, if they graduate they will make X plus Y more, if they go to college and get a degree they will make so many more times what they will make if they have only a high school diploma. Can't afford to pay for it? "No problem," the smiling liberal says. "Borrow the money and get that magic piece of paper. It's the ticket that you have to have and once you've got it it will pay for itself."
It's a lie, because truth be told the educational system is geared to turn out more graduates at every level and in every field than the economy can produce jobs for them to do.
You have it backwards about Education, no system is perfect but none the less one that gives you the opportunity to progress is a good start. Pre GFC in 2008 most of the brain drain was going into the financial sector because this is where the big money was to be made. However it turned out to be one big fraud and there was a heavy price to pay for that. Had half of those been given the same opportunity to build roads and bridges the country would have been far better off.
Education in itself is not a licence to print money but it gives you the tools to analyse and make sound judgement when needed to not only progress in life but succeed as well. As most of the global warming deniers "the ones with the loudest voices" either in the media or bloggers. Not one of them has a science based degree yet speak like they know something everyone else doesn't. Having the skills to dig holes in the ground is one thing but to work out how this black stuff got there in the first place and where it goes afterwards is quite another.
Coal is King

Kuttawa, KY

#36891 Jul 9, 2013
Right now our economy is teetering on the brink of a collapse. Everything that Obama has done has made it worse. Obamacare is hurting working people where they feel it most, in their pockets. Employers can’t afford the cost, so they are cutting people’s hours. It is not just private employers. Cities and counties can’t afford it and they are cutting hours too. Schools are cutting hours for people like janitors. The people whose hours are being cut are already the lowest paid workers. Some of the people I know who hate Obama the worst are among the poorest working people. Now the “War on Coal” will kill more jobs. Even if “Green Power” does generate new jobs, those jobs won’t materialize quick enough to offset the losses before the 2016 election.

Are working people taking a risk lining up with the Tea Party? Sure. But what choice do we have? Liberals despise our religious and moral beliefs. You’re for your welfare class power base. Working people are expected to work hard and pay the taxes to support them. What’s to become of us when we’re not useful anymore? Your plan is to force us out of work, take away all that we’ve ever worked for, and push us down into the welfare class.

By the time election day rolls around on November 8, 2016, this country is going to be in such terrible shape that people will be ready to vote for anybody who can convince them that he will set things right. No liberal Democrat will be able to do that. Even an old-fashioned “Blue Dog” won’t be able to win. Obama’s legacy will be an albatross hung round their necks.

Location hidden

#36892 Jul 9, 2013
Coal is King wrote:
Right now our economy is teetering on the brink of a collapse. Everything that Obama has done has made it worse. Obamacare is hurting working people where they feel it most, in their pockets. Employers can’t afford the cost, so they are cutting people’s hours..........
You must get different news down there in the South, or do you just listen to "Rush".

cut n paste:
"Better days might be ahead for the U.S. economy, and the latest sign could come as soon as today with the release of the May consumer credit report. It’s likely to show more consumers have taken out loans for autos and other major purchases. Friday’s jobs report was better than expected. U.S. employers have added an average 202,000 jobs for the past six months, up from 180,000 in the previous six."

http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/business/2013/07/...

Fact is the US dollar$ is gaining all the time, they are backing off printing as the economy grows in strength. The China boom is slowing and besides as well as China was going they were always going to hit the wall with this one child policy. In ten years or so they will have a massive ageing population and the growth will drop dramatically. So look at the bigger picture

Since: Mar 09

Wichita, KS

#36893 Jul 9, 2013
Coal is King wrote:
Right now our economy is teetering on the brink of a collapse. Everything that Obama has done has made it worse. Obamacare is hurting working people where they feel it most, in their pockets. Employers can’t afford the cost, so they are cutting people’s hours. It is not just private employers. Cities and counties can’t afford it and they are cutting hours too. Schools are cutting hours for people like janitors. The people whose hours are being cut are already the lowest paid workers. Some of the people I know who hate Obama the worst are among the poorest working people. Now the “War on Coal” will kill more jobs. Even if “Green Power” does generate new jobs, those jobs won’t materialize quick enough to offset the losses before the 2016 election.
Are working people taking a risk lining up with the Tea Party? Sure. But what choice do we have? Liberals despise our religious and moral beliefs. You’re for your welfare class power base. Working people are expected to work hard and pay the taxes to support them. What’s to become of us when we’re not useful anymore? Your plan is to force us out of work, take away all that we’ve ever worked for, and push us down into the welfare class.
By the time election day rolls around on November 8, 2016, this country is going to be in such terrible shape that people will be ready to vote for anybody who can convince them that he will set things right. No liberal Democrat will be able to do that. Even an old-fashioned “Blue Dog” won’t be able to win. Obama’s legacy will be an albatross hung round their necks.
Where do you get this stuff. "Liberals despise our religious and moral beliefs." That is just not true. They just don't think that religions should force their beliefs on others(Separation of Church and State). That includes all religions, not just Christianity. A case in point was when the State of Kansas attempted to force the teaching of Creationism in science curriculum. It is religion and not science. It does not belong in the science classroom.

As far as the economy, that was set during the past administration. Excesses by banks and big businesses pushed us over the cliff because the conservatives convinced the country that if we deregulated businesses everything would be wonderful. Right now if the RW fanatics would let up on government spending we would heal faster. The greatest lack of growth is in public jobs. If they kept pace with the private sector, things would look a lot better now. It was not the welfare system that brought us to our knees, no matter what the radical media propagandizes. It was the over speculation by the private sector.

Sorry about the situation that you seem to be in. Things change and progress moves on. Some are always hurt but more are served better in the long run. Coal is an environmentally dirty fuel. Perhaps technology can clean it up so the energy will not cost us so much through environmentally. Until then, we need to slow the use. It is not President Obama's fault. Until the very recent time Republicans understood this. Even President Reagan. Now they are using the misunderstanding of the environmental costs as a political tool. They only want to get elected. They care more about this than doing what is best for mankind.

“Let's X Change!!”

Since: Feb 09

B4 HOPE Is Gone...

#36894 Jul 9, 2013
OzRitz wrote:
<quoted text>
This is the coal king ranting on about Obama trying to get a foothold in Africa saying it was a waste of money. Well guess what, some of those 300,000 Chinese engineers are working there building railways, dams, roads, and other important infrastructure. They bring in their own labor and only use the locals for the unskilled stuff. In exchange for resources, no they are not stupid plus every ally they gain gives them more influence in having super power status. But in his mind the coal fields in the south are more important.
LOL....wow....just wow. you people are so......well.

“Let's X Change!!”

Since: Feb 09

B4 HOPE Is Gone...

#36895 Jul 9, 2013
Patriot AKA Bozo wrote:
<quoted text>

As far as the economy, that was set during the past administration. Excesses by banks and big businesses pushed us over the cliff because the conservatives convinced the country that if we deregulated businesses everything would be wonderful. Right now if the RW fanatics would let up on government spending we would heal faster. The greatest lack of growth is in public jobs. If they kept pace with the private sector, things would look a lot better now. It was not the welfare system that brought us to our knees, no matter what the radical media propagandizes. It was the over speculation by the private sector.
PLEASE try to substantiate this opinionated paragraph!! I will look forward to nailing your ass to the wall with facts, reality, and data.

You people are so misguided on so many things. And the kicker is....you dumbfuques think you know it all.

Stupid brown shirt sheep.

Back it up. Prove one word. You can blame another party if that makes you feel better......I'll educate you on who and how both political parties messed up. Cowards like you look for someone to point their finger at. Cowards like you are a big part of the problem in America, son.

LOL

Since: Mar 09

Wichita, KS

#36896 Jul 9, 2013
ritedownthemiddle wrote:
<quoted text>PLEASE try to substantiate this opinionated paragraph!! I will look forward to nailing your ass to the wall with facts, reality, and data.
You people are so misguided on so many things. And the kicker is....you dumbfuques think you know it all.
Stupid brown shirt sheep.
Back it up. Prove one word. You can blame another party if that makes you feel better......I'll educate you on who and how both political parties messed up. Cowards like you look for someone to point their finger at. Cowards like you are a big part of the problem in America, son.
LOL
Get stared. I am interested in what propaganda you have bought into. I agree that both parties made mistakes but it was the philosophy of the market folks who let the wolfs loose. The philosophy that caused the middle class to diminish and the rich folks to prosper. It was the banks and big corporations who wrote the legislation that prospered them at our expense. Lower pay and fewer benefits. illegal labor. moving to offshore. Try to break away from the corporate paid propagandists of deception.
gcaveman1

Bay Springs, MS

#36897 Jul 9, 2013
ritedownthemiddle wrote:
<quoted text>so by your own admission....and according to your latest "charts"(btw....are those astrological,son?) man made co2 that MIGHT cause temps to rise will also help in making the next ice age less severe. I'll take that trade off!!! Mankind has always accomplished more in more temperate times throughout history.
The ice age of which you speak, the same one that you "brilliant" deniers are always boasting that AGW has prevented, the same one "predicted" by some popular magazines in the 60's-70's, yeah, that one, was on track to start in about a thousand years. You would have been long forgotten in that trade-off.

If we had controlled the climate like experienced climate-control engineers (which we weren't), and stabilized it at the average temperature of the 20th Century, everything might be just rosy right now. But since we didn't know we were changing the climate, and how much we were changing the climate, and we didn't understand how we were doing it until the mid-Twentieth Century, we went past the safe mark.

And did we stop? NO! We've hit the accelerator!

So, dear fool, the point of this whole debate, which has breezed completely over your crippled little head, is that too much is TOO MUCH!
gcaveman1

Bay Springs, MS

#36898 Jul 9, 2013
Coal is King wrote:
If I wanted to listen to this bullshit, I'd tune in Fox News.
gcaveman1

Bay Springs, MS

#36899 Jul 9, 2013
ritedownthemiddle wrote:
<quoted text>

LOL
You people are so misguided on so many, many things. And the kicker is....you dumbfucks think you know it all.

Cowards like you look for someone to point their finger at. OBAMA!

Traitors like you are a big part of the problem in America, son.

Location hidden

#36900 Jul 9, 2013
ritedownthemiddle wrote:
<quoted text>LOL....wow....just wow. you people are so......well.
The fact that foreign policy just flies right over most ringers head is not a surprise. To a ringer its either bomb them or ignore, there is no in between. America gains influence in the world by its economic dominance and military strength. However its nothing without allies, especially when you get a rogue state doing something that is a threat to US security or to the West. When the weight of the world in on your shoulders they tend to behave. Where they prosper is when super powers are at each other and no allies around to support. That is why foreign policy is just as important as trade. It will be the same for global emission policies, whomever dominates collectively will dictate policy.

“Happy, warm and comfortable”

Since: Oct 10

Mountain hideaway, SE Spain

#36901 Jul 10, 2013
FugYou wrote:
I would change my mind if the evidence was against me;
There is no evidence against you personally, Fuggy, you have no evidence whatsoever.

“Happy, warm and comfortable”

Since: Oct 10

Mountain hideaway, SE Spain

#36902 Jul 10, 2013
cavemonkey wrote:
...you dumbfucks think you know it all.
Do you know better?

Are you a carpenter, or someone who knows better than others about climate science?

No need to reply, I know the answer.Ö¿Ö
gcaveman1

Bay Springs, MS

#36903 Jul 10, 2013
Climate change impacts on global agriculture

Alvaro Calzadilla,
Katrin Rehdanz,
Richard Betts,
Pete Falloon,
Andy Wiltshire,
Richard S. J. Tol

Abstract

Based on predicted changes in the magnitude and distribution of global precipitation, temperature and river flow under the IPCC SRES A1B and A2 scenarios, this study assesses the potential impacts of climate change and CO2 fertilization on global agriculture. The analysis uses the new version of the GTAP-W model, which distinguishes between rainfed and irrigated agriculture and implements water as an explicit factor of production for irrigated agriculture. Future climate change is likely to modify regional water endowments and soil moisture. As a consequence, the distribution of harvested land will change, modifying production and international trade patterns. The results suggest that a partial analysis of the main factors through which climate change will affect agricultural productivity provide a false appreciation of the nature of changes likely to occur. Our results show that global food production, welfare and GDP fall in the two time periods and SRES scenarios. Higher food prices are expected. No matter which SRES scenario is preferred, we find that the expected losses in welfare are significant. These losses are slightly larger under the SRES A2 scenario for the 2020s and under the SRES A1B scenario for the 2050s. The results show that national welfare is influenced both by regional climate change and climate-induced changes in competitiveness.
gcaveman1

Bay Springs, MS

#36904 Jul 10, 2013
ritedownthemiddle wrote:
<quoted text>PLEASE son.
LOL
Cowards like you look for someone to point their finger at.

OBAMA! Liberals! The United Nations! Al Gore! Government!

Chemtrails! The IPCC! Scientists! Education!
gcaveman1

Bay Springs, MS

#36905 Jul 10, 2013
Earthling-1 wrote:
<quoted text>Do you know better?
Are you a carpenter, or someone who knows better than others about climate science?
You don't know shit about me, ol limey. My main advantage over most of your friends here is that I can read and understand.

Yes, I am a carpenter, and damn proud of it. I can build anything but a silk purse and fix anything but a broken heart. I am as skilled with my hands as I am with my mind. I can create!

My resume' also includes general contractor, sculptor, musician, actor, writer, building designer, and humorist, among other talents.

Like I also can make a rich woman beg, make a good woman steal, make an old woman blush, and make a young girl squeal.

What are you go at, ex-civil servant? Pushing a pen? Shuffling papers? Drinking tea even when it isn't tea time? Are you someone who knows better than others about climate science?
gcaveman1

Bay Springs, MS

#36906 Jul 10, 2013
gcaveman1 wrote:
<quoted text>
You don't know shit about me, ol limey. My main advantage over most of your friends here is that I can read and understand.
Yes, I am a carpenter, and damn proud of it. I can build anything but a silk purse and fix anything but a broken heart. I am as skilled with my hands as I am with my mind. I can create!
My resume' also includes general contractor, sculptor, musician, actor, writer, building designer, and humorist, among other talents.
Like I also can make a rich woman beg, make a good woman steal, make an old woman blush, and make a young girl squeal.
What are you go at, ex-civil servant? Pushing a pen? Shuffling papers? Drinking tea even when it isn't tea time? Are you someone who knows better than others about climate science?
What are you good at, ex-civil servant?
Bargeman

La Fayette, KY

#36907 Jul 10, 2013
I can't disagree more with King Coal about education but I see his point about coal. I can't see any point in shutting down our coal fired electric power plants. Other countries are busy building new ones. Two-thirds of the barges that we push down to New Orleans are loaded with coal. Most of the time that's all there is in the tow. It goes to China.

http://www.platts.com/latest-news/coal/Miami/...

Location hidden

#36908 Jul 10, 2013
Bargeman wrote:
I can't disagree more with King Coal about education but I see his point about coal. I can't see any point in shutting down our coal fired electric power plants. Other countries are busy building new ones. Two-thirds of the barges that we push down to New Orleans are loaded with coal. Most of the time that's all there is in the tow. It goes to China.
http://www.platts.com/latest-news/coal/Miami/...
You guys from the right have made GW into a political issue, its not!
If you want to continue with the capitalist system then you go along with its evolution. Capitalism is great for building countries from nothing but when birth rates slow and growth slows it looks elsewhere to make profits. Hence globalisation evolved which saw the end of most steel works in America, all clothing manufacturing, white goods, household goods, even the computer manufacturing industry moved off shore there are a endless list of business that have closed their doors to manufacture elsewhere. The other thing that capitalism does when growth slows is feed on itself, bigger guys eat the lil guys and it runs through everything. Even the banking system where the big guys have become so big they can't be allowed to fail. Yet here you are saying the fossil fuel business is different. Once that is phased out coal towns will end up the same way as the rust belt. Either evolve to survive or die, that's basically it. If you don't like this picture it's a bit late to change raw capitalism that gave you this success. This is the problem with the republican party of today, they want to bring back "Pleasantville" stuck in the 1950's like ground hog day. It just is not possible with the system that we rely on now to build economies.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Chicago Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
{keep A word drop A word} (Oct '11) 5 min 40ish 4,673
Messianic Jews say they are persecuted in Israel (Jun '08) 6 min Frijoles 68,998
Israeli troops begin Gaza pullout as Hamas decl... (Jan '09) 15 min danetoo 68,381
BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting... (Jan '09) 57 min wojar 177,413
Ill. House Approves Legalizing Same-Sex Civil U... (Dec '10) 1 hr D-U-H 49,539
Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 1 hr Yeah 1,100,625
ISIS Plans to Blow Up an Entire American City a... 3 hr Retired SOF 45
Topix Chitown Regulars (Aug '09) 10 hr edogxxx 97,938
•••
•••
Chicago Dating

more search filters

less search filters

•••

Chicago Jobs

•••