Once slow-moving threat, global warmi...

Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds up, leaving litt...

There are 54341 comments on the Newsday story from Dec 14, 2008, titled Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds up, leaving litt.... In it, Newsday reports that:

When Bill Clinton took office in 1993, global warming was a slow-moving environmental problem that was easy to ignore.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Newsday.

Since: Jul 11

Location hidden

#36869 Jul 8, 2013
Patriot AKA Bozo wrote:
<quoted text>
It is amazing how some people buy into the radical RW BS. All one needs to do is to look at how the affluent have become more affluent while the rest of us pay the bills. How letting the fox in the henhouse enabled the financials and big corporations raid the rest of us. When the bubble burst, they point to how welfare broke us all and how government regulations hurt the big guys. Not how deregulation let the shisters loose. Not how the CEO's raided the retirements of hard working folks. Not how the politicians pandered to the lobbiests of the greedy. Not how the banks made loans to folks they knew couldn't pay back then blaming it on the government.
Who gets the benefits of cheap labor by the illegals while the rest of us pay for their medical, schooling etc. Yet folks like coal dirt are lead around by the nose by paid stooges of the vested interests. Good grief!
Right on the money! Good post, it's just a pity that so called news organisations like Fox have also contributed to the welfare myth ignoring the obvious.
gcaveman1

Bay Springs, MS

#36870 Jul 8, 2013
Patriot AKA Bozo wrote:
<quoted text>
It is amazing how some people buy into the radical RW BS. All one needs to do is to look at how the affluent have become more affluent while the rest of us pay the bills. How letting the fox in the henhouse enabled the financials and big corporations raid the rest of us. When the bubble burst, they point to how welfare broke us all and how government regulations hurt the big guys. Not how deregulation let the shisters loose. Not how the CEO's raided the retirements of hard working folks. Not how the politicians pandered to the lobbiests of the greedy. Not how the banks made loans to folks they knew couldn't pay back then blaming it on the government.
Who gets the benefits of cheap labor by the illegals while the rest of us pay for their medical, schooling etc. Yet folks like coal dirt are lead around by the nose by paid stooges of the vested interests. Good grief!
read that National Journal link I posted

Since: Mar 09

Wichita, KS

#36872 Jul 9, 2013
gcaveman1 wrote:
<quoted text>
Interesting.
Coal is King

Kuttawa, KY

#36873 Jul 9, 2013
gcaveman1 wrote:
<quoted text>
Your precious "Pigovian" tax is well named because it's pure hogshit.

Or maybe not. I was at a Tea Party rally not long ago and the speaker used an argument just like your glue factory example to make his case that we are giving too many people too much education at taxpayer expense.
Coal is King

Kuttawa, KY

#36874 Jul 9, 2013
gcaveman1 wrote:
<quoted text>
That's bullshit. You can thank Bush's recession for that young man's troubles.
No. That young man's life is ruined because he believed the liberal's Big Lie about education. From the very first day of first grade he was told that education was the ticket to the good life. They have posters on the doors of school rooms that tell kids if they drop out of high school they will make X amount of money, if they graduate they will make X plus Y more, if they go to college and get a degree they will make so many more times what they will make if they have only a high school diploma. Can't afford to pay for it? "No problem," the smiling liberal says. "Borrow the money and get that magic piece of paper. It's the ticket that you have to have and once you've got it it will pay for itself."

It's a lie, because truth be told the educational system is geared to turn out more graduates at every level and in every field than the economy can produce jobs for them to do.
gcaveman1

Bay Springs, MS

#36875 Jul 9, 2013
Coal is King wrote:
<quoted text>
No. That young man's life is ruined because he believed the liberal's Big Lie about education. From the very first day of first grade he was told that education was the ticket to the good life. They have posters on the doors of school rooms that tell kids if they drop out of high school they will make X amount of money, if they graduate they will make X plus Y more, if they go to college and get a degree they will make so many more times what they will make if they have only a high school diploma. Can't afford to pay for it? "No problem," the smiling liberal says. "Borrow the money and get that magic piece of paper. It's the ticket that you have to have and once you've got it it will pay for itself."

It's a lie, because truth be told the educational system is geared to turn out more graduates at every level and in every field than the economy can produce jobs for them to do.
Funny how that system has worked just fine up until our recent recession.

Your comments indicate that you are anti-education. Did you go to college? Did you finish high school?

Did you know that China turns out about 300,000 engineers a year? Where do they all go?

There would be plenty of jobs for engineers in the USA if Congress, and mainly Repulicunts, would get off the budget bullshit they promote and start

1. repairing and improving civil infrastructure
2. restoring a decent level of funding to NASA
3. funding more research and development of alternative energy and fuels.

I also notice you've got a real hard-on for liberals.
gcaveman1

Bay Springs, MS

#36876 Jul 9, 2013
Coal is King wrote:
<quoted text>
Or maybe not. I was at a Tea Party rally not long ago and the speaker used an argument just like your glue factory example to make his case that we are giving too many people too much education at taxpayer expense.
Make up your mind.

Tea Party, LOL. You're behind the times with that one too.

Yes, too much education! LOL! That's the problem! For God's sake, we don't want people to know too much!

Got ignorance?
litesong

Monroe, WA

#36877 Jul 9, 2013
[QUOTE who="ol' king coal was a worn out sole of a shoe"]....liberal....poli cies .... middle class people to poverty.[/QUOTE]

In truth, re-pubic-lick-uns transfer the lower middle class into poverty, with their emphasis on giving rich people tax breaks, & breaking unions, which created a large & strong middle class. During the presidency of Reagan, who busted unions, a full 10% of the middle class was transferred into poverty.
litesong

Monroe, WA

#36878 Jul 9, 2013
gcaveman1 wrote:
Did you know that China turns out about 300,000 engineers a year? Where do they all go?
There would be plenty of jobs for engineers in the USA if..... mainly Repulicunts, would get off the budget bullshit ....
1. repairing and improving civil infrastructure
3. funding more research and development of alternative energy and fuels.
re-pubic-lick-uns never fund basic science & research. It takes away from the monies re-pubic-lick-uns send to rich people(other re-pubic-lick-uns?).

As for the 300,000 Chinese engineers, re-pubic-lick-uns always said the communist chinese(ALWAYS SMALL LETTERS) education was sub-standard. The re-pubic-lick-uns were lying because they wouldn't know, since re-pubic-lick-uns seldom get engineering, science & mathematics degrees themselves.

Wichita, KS

#36879 Jul 9, 2013
Coal is King wrote:
<quoted text>
I see, another uneducated Tea Party radical. Anti education, anti science, anti tax, anti Social Security, anti government, anti gays, anti abortion, anti arts, anti, anti, anti.....

What do you stand FOR? Don't give me the crap about standing for the Constitution or the American Flag because you do not understand what they mean. You need to get some education. Oh yeah, I forgot. You are for guns.
litesong

Monroe, WA

#36880 Jul 9, 2013
gcaveman1 wrote:
I also notice you've got a real hard-on for liberals.
I disagree. If re-pubic-lick-uns got hard-ons, their numbers wouldn't be decreasing percentage-wise.

Wichita, KS

#36881 Jul 9, 2013
Where is all the heat going if there is such a thing as global warming?

http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1002/gr...

The deep ocean.
Coal is King

Kuttawa, KY

#36882 Jul 9, 2013
gcaveman1 wrote:
<quoted text>
China's economy and educational system is about where ours was 100 years ago. This is what Wikipedia says about education in China:

"The Law on Nine-Year Compulsory Education, which took effect on July 1, 1986, established requirements and deadlines for attaining universal education tailored to local conditions and guaranteed school-age children the right to receive at least nine years of education (six-year primary education and three years secondary education). The compulsory education law divided China into three categories: cities and economically developed areas in coastal provinces and a small number of developed areas in the hinterland; towns and villages with medium development; and economically backward areas.

By November 1985 the first category - the larger cities and approximately 20 percent of the counties (mainly in the more developed coastal and southeastern areas of China) had achieved universal 9-year education. By 1990 cities, economically developed areas in coastal provincial-level units, and a small number of developed interior areas (approximately 25 percent of China's population) and areas where junior middle schools were already popularized were targeted to have universal junior-middle-school education. Education planners had envisioned that by the mid-1990s all workers and staff in coastal areas, inland cities, and moderately developed areas (with a combined population of 300 million to 400 million people) would have either compulsory 9-year or vocational education and that 5 percent of the people in these areas would have a college education - building a solid intellectual foundation for China. Further, the planners expected that secondary education and university entrants would also have increased by the year 2000.

The second category targeted under the 9-year compulsory education law consisted of towns and villages with medium-level development (around 50 percent of China's population), where universal education was expected to reach the junior-middle-school level by 1995. Technical and higher education was projected to develop at the same rate.

The third category, economically backward (rural) areas (around 25 percent of China's population ) were to popularize basic education without a timetable and at various levels according to local economic development, though the state would try to support educational development. The state also would assist education in minority nationality areas. In the past, rural areas, which lacked a standardized and universal primary education system, had produced generations of illiterates; only 60 percent of their primary school graduates had met established standards.

Tuition-free primary education is, despite compulsory education laws, still a target rather than a realized goal throughout China. As many families have difficulty paying school fees, some children are forced to leave school earlier than the nine-year goal."
Coal is King

Kuttawa, KY

#36883 Jul 9, 2013
Now read what Wikipedia has to say about education in the U.S.A.:

"In 2005, the proportion of the [U.S.] population having finished high school and the percentage of those having earned bachelor's degrees remained at an all-time high, while the growth in both categories has slowed down over the past two decades. The vast majority of the population, 85.2%, had finished high school and nearly a quarter, 22%, had earned a Bachelor's degree. The percentage of both college and high school graduates continued to increase since 2000."

In sheer numbers, yes China graduates 300,000 new engineers every year. But in proportion to their total population compared to the U.S.A. 300,000 is not that many. Note that only 5 percent of all Chinese are expected to get a college degree of any kind. In the U.S.A. 22 percent of the population has a bachelor's degree. In the U.S.A., over 85 percent of the population finished 12 years of schooling. In China the goal is only 9 years. China also stresses vocational and technical training to produce laborers. College is limited. Our system, on the other hand, operates on the premise that every kid should go to college.

China's economy is growing rapidly. China is building industries that actually make things. They need engineers. They also need laborers and technicians to work in the factories. Their system provides that balanced mix. Our economy, on the other hand, is not building factories. We no longer make everyday goods because our economic structure has priced labor and other costs so high that we cannot compete in the world market.
litesong

Monroe, WA

#36884 Jul 9, 2013
[QUOTE who="ol' king coal is a worn out sole of a shoe"]
China's economy is growing rapidly. China is building industries that actually make things. They need engineers...... Our economy, on the other hand, is not building factories. We no longer make everyday goods because our economic structure has priced labor and other costs so high that we cannot compete in the world market.[/QUOTE]

As re-pubic-lick-uns have been saying for decades, because re-pubic-lick-uns can't get science, engineering & mathematics degrees. re-pubic-lick-uns are good at business degrees........ which teach how to position themselves in businesses so they can scrape off their unfair share of company wealth, that engineers, scientists, mathematicians, developers, designers, technologists, blue-collars, secretaries, & minimum wage earners produce.
Coal is King

Kuttawa, KY

#36885 Jul 9, 2013
litesong wrote:
<quoted text>
As re-pubic-lick-uns...
I got news for you, Litesong-pubic-lick-er, I am blue collar.

At a community forum held at Loyola College on October 19, 1998, your hero, then state senator Barack Obama said he favored the government redistribution of wealth. Obama said he planned to mobilize welfare recipients as a voting bloc to elect far-left liberals and enact "progressive" legislation.

I and a growing number of working people just like me have reached the point that we're saying, "Hell no!" We're not going to stand idly by and let anyone tax away what we have worked hard to earn and give it to the welfare parasites. If that means we have to ally ourselves with the bosses, the people who own the places where we work and pay our wages, then we'll do it. They've got the money to pay for waging the fight and there's plenty of us working people that are willing, able, and eager to be the foot soldiers in the fight.

“BET DAP”

Since: Feb 09

GOOM BOWN

#36886 Jul 9, 2013
gcaveman1 wrote:
<quoted text>
According to the charts I've seen, we have already interrupted the slide down to the next ice age.
Unless we come up with a technological miracle, it'll be a long time before the Earth hits its natural rhythm again.
And they say there are no stupid questions....
so by your own admission....and according to your latest "charts"(btw....are those astrological,son?) man made co2 that MIGHT cause temps to rise will also help in making the next ice age less severe. I'll take that trade off!!! Mankind has always accomplished more in more temperate times throughout history.

“BET DAP”

Since: Feb 09

GOOM BOWN

#36887 Jul 9, 2013
Why do you people hate yourselves and mankind so much. Not everything man does is inherently bad, you know?
Lol
The zaniness of you brown shirts is amazing sometimes!!

Wichita, KS

#36888 Jul 9, 2013
Coal is King wrote:
<quoted text>

I and a growing number of working people just like me have reached the point that we're saying, "Hell no!" We're not going to stand idly by and let anyone tax away what we have worked hard to earn and give it to the welfare parasites. If that means we have to ally ourselves with the bosses, the people who own the places where we work and pay our wages, then we'll do it. They've got the money to pay for waging the fight and there's plenty of us working people that are willing, able, and eager to be the foot soldiers in the fight.
That's just great. I guess that means you will work for poverty wages and abysmal working conditions.

Since: Jul 11

Location hidden

#36889 Jul 9, 2013
litesong wrote:
<quoted text>
re-pubic-lick-uns never fund basic science & research. It takes away from the monies re-pubic-lick-uns send to rich people(other re-pubic-lick-uns?).
As for the 300,000 Chinese engineers, re-pubic-lick-uns always said the communist chinese(ALWAYS SMALL LETTERS) education was sub-standard. The re-pubic-lick-uns were lying because they wouldn't know, since re-pubic-lick-uns seldom get engineering, science & mathematics degrees themselves.
This is the coal king ranting on about Obama trying to get a foothold in Africa saying it was a waste of money. Well guess what, some of those 300,000 Chinese engineers are working there building railways, dams, roads, and other important infrastructure. They bring in their own labor and only use the locals for the unskilled stuff. In exchange for resources, no they are not stupid plus every ally they gain gives them more influence in having super power status. But in his mind the coal fields in the south are more important.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Chicago Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 4 min John Galt 1,264,168
News BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting... (Jan '09) 1 hr Jacques Ottawa 194,654
News Lollapalooza day two marked by angst, apathy-an... 5 hr chimpcago 1
Please SUBSCRIBE to my YOUTUBE channel for awes... 6 hr The Cloud 1
Topix Chitown Regulars (Aug '09) 7 hr CrunchyBacon 100,287
News Fatal heat wave 20 years ago changed Chicago's ... 11 hr No8isClassic 8
Can't these people do better? 11 hr Magonigol 1
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Chicago Mortgages