Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds up, leaving litt...

Full story: Newsday 47,478
When Bill Clinton took office in 1993, global warming was a slow-moving environmental problem that was easy to ignore. Full Story
gcaveman1

Louin, MS

#36737 Jul 3, 2013
In December, 2006, Southern Company subsidiary Mississippi Power announced plans to construct a 600-megawatt IGCC coal fired power plant in KemperCounty in east-central Mississippi. The proposed plant would burn locally mined lignite coal, with an approximate cost of $1.8 billion. Mississippi Power has been given millions of dollars to construct the plant in federal tax credits under the Energy Policy Act of 2005.

January 28, 2013, marked Sierra Club's third trip to the Mississippi State Supreme Court regarding the Kemper coal plant fight!

Groups argued Mississippi Power’s appeal of the Public Service Commission’s denial of cost recovery before the state Supreme Court. The case centered on whether Mississippi Power should be able to charge its customers for the $3-billion Kemper County coal plant before it starts making electricity in 2014. Several groups showed up to the court united by one thing - opposition to the dirty, expensive, and unnecessary Kemper coal plant. Groups ranged from the Mississippi Tea Party, small business owners, a retired County Supervisor, Harrison County AARP, Gulfport NAACP, Kemper County Landowners, and many more.

A few days after the hearing, Mississippi Power filed a request to increase customer rates by 21%, following a settlement agreement the company signed with the Public Service Commission.

While ongoing litigation is being pursued by the Sierra Club’s Environmental Law Program, the state legislature is separately considering enacting new legislation that would allow Mississippi Power to recover an additional $1 billion dollars above and beyond the $2.88 billion dollar cost cap set by the Public Service Commission.

><><><> <><><><

"Mississippi Power has been given millions of dollars to construct the plant..." How is this any different from solar energy subsidies?

Cost of the plant was estimated at $1.4 billion. Cost is now approaching $4 billion. Is that cheap energy?

A 21% increase in electricity rates? In one of the poorest states in the nation? How fair is that to the average citizen?

The Republican-controlled legislature has done everything it it could to help and finance this plant. Something here stinks worse than coal smoke. I'm thinking there will be an investigation and people will go to jail when the dust settles.

Look what is happening in Illinois. A new plant there is about to bankrupt several surrounding towns.
http://www.google.com/url...
gcaveman1

Louin, MS

#36738 Jul 3, 2013
Yesterday:

Mississippi Power Co. warned Monday that costs are still increasing at the power plant it's building in Kemper County.

The unit of Atlanta-based Southern Co. told stockholders that an ongoing review of costs at the coal-fired plant has initially identified at least another $160 million in cost increases.

...

Northern District Commissioner Brandon Presley, a consistent opponent of the plant, said the additional cost overruns are "very disturbing."

"Not once have we received good news that things are coming in under budget," said Presley, a Democrat.

Under the settlement, Mississippi ratepayers will have to pay for $2.4 billion of the plant's price, plus pay for up to another $1 billion in bonds that Mississippi Power won't make a profit on. That's not counting the additional hundreds of millions for costs of the mine and pipeline.

The PSC voted 2-1 to approve a 15 percent rate increase to start paying off the plant's debt even before it begins operations, followed by an additional 3 percent increase in 2014. Mississippi Power has said it's likely in 2014 to seek an additional increase of at least 4 percent over 20 years to pay off the bonds.

Gotta love that good ol' Republican corporate welfare. I can just hear the chatter in the back room at Tico's now:

What's that you say, Mississippi Power? Oh, you can't find investors to help you build an insanely expensive AND experimental power plant? Folks won't lend you money to build it because none of them think it will work as advertised? Well, let us Republicans here on the Public Service Commission put our Mississippi consumers on the hook for you! They're gullible, and we'll just tell them it's "economic development". So quit worrying. Just keep picking up the tab for these steak dinners, ok? Waiter, can I get another bottle of that merlot? I'm sorry, Mississippi Power. Throat was getting dry. Look at it this way, if this whole thing doesn't work out, these rubes I represent will just pay for it anyway.

Mississippi "conservatives": using the common man as grist for the mill since 1817.

by Matt Eichelberger on 7/02/2013 09:59:00 AM
Coal is King

Paducah, KY

#36739 Jul 3, 2013
gcaveman1 wrote:
<quoted text>
Talk to "W" bout that money....
It's the 21st Century. Just because it didn't work the first few times... Africa...is one of the world's last frontiers. Hopefully, some truly independent governments can emerge to resist the power of neo-colonialism..
It didn't work the first few times and it will not work this time. For a nation to have a "truly indepenent government" there must be a real nation for that government to govern. With the exception of Ethiopia there are no real nation-states in Africa. They are all just a plot of land that the colonial powers drew a line around without regard to the human dynamics of Africa. Nigeria is the prime example. It contains 10 major tribes, each with its own culture, language, and religion, and is jealous of and hostile to the other tribes. Americans call a citizen of Nigeria a Nigerian, but to the citizen of Nigeria, his tribe comes first. To make it even worse, almost every African tribe is split by one or more artificial national borders.

The future of Africa is Somalia and Rwanda writ large.
Coal is King

Paducah, KY

#36740 Jul 3, 2013
gcaveman1 wrote:
In December, 2006, Southern Company subsidiary Mississippi Power announced plans to construct a 600-megawatt IGCC coal fired power plant in KemperCounty in east-central Mississippi...
This power plant is not a good old fashioned tried and proven coal burning facility. It is a "carbon capture and storage" plant - another example of the costs of the "CO2 causes global warming" hoax, just another boondoggle like windmills and solar power.

http://sequestration.mit.edu/tools/projects/k...
LessHypeMoreFact

Toronto, Canada

#36741 Jul 3, 2013
Coal is King wrote:
<quoted text>
This power plant is not a good old fashioned tried and proven coal burning facility. It is a "carbon capture and storage" plant - another example of the costs of the "CO2 causes global warming" hoax, just another boondoggle like windmills and solar power.
http://sequestration.mit.edu/tools/projects/k...
Your own reference proves that it is NOT testing CCS.

"Mississippi power will continue to build Kemper County after the Mississippi Supreme Court reversed Southern Company's CCS project approval (March 2012). Mississippi Power had originally obtained the authorization to build the Kemper County IGCC on May 26, 2010."

The only 'new technology' here is to burn water logged lignite (VERY low grade coal with massive emissions). In theory, it can capture 65% of the CO2 and then pipe it to oil companies for enhanced recovery. But that is speculation.

Fact are that the main driver behind this is to expand revenues and capitalization of Mississipii Power, and utilise low grade coal from the locality http://tinyurl.com/khljt5y

“Science not Conservatism”

Since: Jan 12

Progress, not Denial

#36742 Jul 3, 2013
riteupmyarsehole wrote:
I better just admit it.....us nazis hate everybody for any reason.
True enough...

“Science not Conservatism”

Since: Jan 12

Progress, not Denial

#36743 Jul 3, 2013
Coal is King wrote:
<quoted text>
You picked a good name for yourself, "tha Professor." You are the personification of why the majority of ordinary Patriotic working Americans despise academic eggheads. University faculties are nothing but asylums for indoctrinated (I won't say educated) idiots, socialist holdouts who still worship at the tomb Lenin, and tree huggers who worship the great mother goddess.
You've already shown your real colors. You want to force the people of Kentucky and West Virginia off our land, out of our homes, and into urban concentration camps. You want to send the National Guard to force us to work as slaves in the mines. You said if a few of us was killed, that much the better.
Well "professor" we'd like to put all of you and all of your kind to work on an "organic" farm shoveling manure.
It's so funny to see a humorless extremist and hypocrite like you launch the most vicious and stupid attacks on me, while whining about my humorous taunts about the states of W. Virginia and Kentucky.

I mean, you get what you bring in here, as far as I'm concerned. You want to attack me, you'll get it tossed back at you with interest. The fact that you take such payback seriously shows what an imbecile you are, and the fact that you choose to reply in kind shows your hypocrisy.

Here's laughing at YOU, loser! LOL

Since: Mar 09

Wichita, KS

#36745 Jul 3, 2013
Coal is King wrote:
<quoted text>
You picked a good name for yourself, "tha Professor." You are the personification of why the majority of ordinary Patriotic working Americans despise academic eggheads. University faculties are nothing but asylums for indoctrinated (I won't say educated) idiots, socialist holdouts who still worship at the tomb Lenin, and tree huggers who worship the great mother goddess....
Typical redneck response. Why do you hate intelligence? Is it because you feel inferior?

“Science not Conservatism”

Since: Jan 12

Progress, not Denial

#36746 Jul 3, 2013
Patriot AKA Bozo wrote:
<quoted text>
Typical redneck response. Why do you hate intelligence? Is it because you feel inferior?
His response was an insult more to patriotic, hardworking Americans than to me. He's just upset because they don't all believe his lies...
Coal is King

Paducah, KY

#36747 Jul 3, 2013
tha Professor wrote:
<quoted text>
It's so funny to see a humorless extremist and hypocrite like you launch the most vicious and stupid attacks on me, while whining about my humorous taunts about the states of W. Virginia and Kentucky.
I mean, you get what you bring in here, as far as I'm concerned. You want to attack me, you'll get it tossed back at you with interest. The fact that you take such payback seriously shows what an imbecile you are, and the fact that you choose to reply in kind shows your hypocrisy.
You, sir, are the liar and hypocrite. You made the statements that I called you out on, did you not? Yes, you did. Now you want to weasel out of them by calling them “humorous taunts."

FYI, my comment about wanting to see you and all your kind shoveling manure is not a "humorous taunt". I am as serious as a rattlesnake.

“Science not Conservatism”

Since: Jan 12

Progress, not Denial

#36748 Jul 3, 2013
Coal is King wrote:
<quoted text>
You, sir, are the liar and hypocrite. You made the statements that I called you out on, did you not? Yes, you did. Now you want to weasel out of them by calling them “humorous taunts."
FYI, my comment about wanting to see you and all your kind shoveling manure is not a "humorous taunt". I am as serious as a rattlesnake.
LOL!

Rattlesnakes are smarter, though.

And yes, whatever you choose to imagine, they were taunts. I've never once in my life seriously advocated putting people in camps, quite the contrary.

Weasel out of THAT, moron...:)

“Science not Conservatism”

Since: Jan 12

Progress, not Denial

#36749 Jul 3, 2013
Coal is King wrote:
<quoted text>
You, sir, are the liar and hypocrite. You made the statements that I called you out on, did you not? Yes, you did. Now you want to weasel out of them by calling them “humorous taunts."
FYI, my comment about wanting to see you and all your kind shoveling manure is not a "humorous taunt". I am as serious as a rattlesnake.
..but hey, thanks for admitting that YOU want to put any Dems or liberals out there into forced labor, you fascist. I'm calling YOU on THAT.

;)
Coal is King

Paducah, KY

#36750 Jul 3, 2013
tha Professor wrote:
<quoted text>
..but hey, thanks for admitting that YOU want to put any Dems or liberals out there into forced labor, you fascist. I'm calling YOU on THAT
I never said anything about "forced labor". I'd just cut the funding for your $125,000 a year salaries. If you couldn't teach "liberal arts" and "humanities" in some taxpayer funded ivory tower you'd have to shovel manure. It's all you'd be qualified to do.

“Science not Conservatism”

Since: Jan 12

Progress, not Denial

#36751 Jul 3, 2013
Coal is King wrote:
<quoted text>
I never said anything about "forced labor". I'd just cut the funding for your $125,000 a year salaries. If you couldn't teach "liberal arts" and "humanities" in some taxpayer funded ivory tower you'd have to shovel manure. It's all you'd be qualified to do.
Look at the liar backpeddle...LOL

"my comment about wanting to see you and all your kind shoveling manure is not a "humorous taunt". I am as serious as a rattlesnake."

Most real 'ivory tower' liberal-arts colleges are private schools, incidentally. Naturally a guy still working on his GED might not know that...:)

“Let's X Change!!”

Since: Feb 09

B4 HOPE Is Gone...

#36752 Jul 3, 2013
So, is Hitler really your grandfather?
tha Professor wrote:
<quoted text>
True enough...

“Science not Conservatism”

Since: Jan 12

Progress, not Denial

#36753 Jul 3, 2013
riteupmyarsehole wrote:
So, let's be honest - Hitler really is my grandfather!
Wow, sorry to hear that....didn't know he had kids, either...:)
Coal is King

Paducah, KY

#36754 Jul 3, 2013
tha Professor wrote:
<quoted text>
Look at the liar backpeddle...LOL
"my comment about wanting to see you and all your kind shoveling manure is not a "humorous taunt". I am as serious as a rattlesnake."
Dream on. I'm not back pedaling. Nope. I'm digging away, cutting the ground right out from under you and your kind.

Every state in the U.S. has cut funding for higher eduation from 2008 levels.

Arizona - cut 36.6 percent
New Hampshire - cut 35.7 percent
Louisiana - cut 31.2 percent
Alabama - cut 28 percent
Florida - cut 25 percent

Working people are tired of paying taxes to support eggheads that hate us. We're working, electing representatives who will cut you right out of your cushy jobs.

Bit of advice: Go out and buy a good manure shovel. You're going to need it.

Since: Mar 09

Wichita, KS

#36755 Jul 3, 2013
Coal is King wrote:
<quoted text>
Dream on. I'm not back pedaling. Nope. I'm digging away, cutting the ground right out from under you and your kind.
Every state in the U.S. has cut funding for higher eduation from 2008 levels.
Arizona - cut 36.6 percent
New Hampshire - cut 35.7 percent
Louisiana - cut 31.2 percent
Alabama - cut 28 percent
Florida - cut 25 percent
Working people are tired of paying taxes to support eggheads that hate us. We're working, electing representatives who will cut you right out of your cushy jobs.
Bit of advice: Go out and buy a good manure shovel. You're going to need it.
You got that backwards. It is those like you who hate educated folks because you feel inferior and do not have a clue about what education really is. Education by nature must be liberal. Otherwise, those like you would take us back to the dark ages.

Coal is a dirty polluting form of energy. It needs to remain underground until technology can find a way to utilize it without poisoning the Earth. The only way to do that is through education. It is for certain that ignorance will not solve our problems.

“Science not Conservatism”

Since: Jan 12

Progress, not Denial

#36757 Jul 3, 2013
Coal is King wrote:
...EDITED.....
Bit of advice: Go out and buy a good manure shovel. You're going to need it.
Incidentally, troll asshat: the only one shovelling the shit here is YOU. Have a nice day.:)
LessHypeMoreFact

Toronto, Canada

#36758 Jul 3, 2013
Patriot AKA Bozo wrote:
<quoted text>
You got that backwards. It is those like you who hate educated folks because you feel inferior and do not have a clue about what education really is.
Mostly they support education as an exclusive perk for the privileged class and vote to reduce education among the STATE (public) universities.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Chicago Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting... (Jan '09) 17 min loose cannon 179,259
Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 22 min Teaman 1,124,639
Last word + 2 (Mar '12) 25 min honeymylove 650
Messianic Jews say they are persecuted in Israel (Jun '08) 32 min JOEL 69,962
Topix Chitown Regulars (Aug '09) 1 hr Sublime1 98,496
Chicago a model city 1 hr MIKETOUHY 5
Ill. House Approves Legalizing Same-Sex Civil U... (Dec '10) 1 hr Boy G 50,583
Chicago Dating
Find my Match

Chicago Jobs

Chicago People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Chicago News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Chicago

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]