Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds up, leaving litt...

Full story: Newsday

When Bill Clinton took office in 1993, global warming was a slow-moving environmental problem that was easy to ignore.
Comments
34,621 - 34,640 of 45,911 Comments Last updated 4 hrs ago
Coal is King

Hopkinsville, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 25, 2013

Judged:

More from the Pikeville, KY, Topix:

“Time to kill more American jobs in favor of windmills and solar farms. So, Obama will make an end-run around Congress to mandate his liberal agenda as law without a single vote ever being cast. America, is this really what you wanted?”

“Czar Obama side stepped congress just as easy as he sidesteps the constitution. No checks and balance for a guy that thinks he is god. His ordering the EPA to enforce emissions standards that won't allow the burning of coal has just today finished off the coal industry and this region. Change you can believe in! How do you like it now...Better start looking for another way to make a living if you depend on coal.”

“The would-be tyrannical despot Emperor O. is on a mission to divert focuses away from the myriad scandals plaguing his Administration so he needs to wheel out a tried and true hot button issue to cause confusing conflict and enough chaos for the desired diversion. Enter Environmentalism. His recent not-so-well-received speech in Germany about the Global Warming myth and his recent directives to the EPA to resume targeting and harassing coal producers/users without any oversight from Congress is a usual Obama high and mighty tactic where he disregards Laws as well as Checks & Balances to ramrod his will through over the concerns or desires of anyone else.”
Coal is King

Hopkinsville, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 25, 2013

Judged:

A selection of posts from the Pineville, KY, Topix forum:

“People better be fighting for Coal or we will all pay the consequences.Coal isnt like other industries because it benefits so many other industries and people who never even realize it. Coal has helped insure many different jobs such as lawyers, doctors, dentists, teachers, local businesses and services for many years. If things keep going as they are with the bad leadership in Washington then we will all be on assistance from the government and without anyone working. How long do you think that assistance will last? Not Long. This country needs jobs. It needs COAL!”

“Coal was meant to be mined ! Let them mine it ! Other countries are mining coal .if this was a worldwide campaign to stop coal then why just us ? The "green wind blowers" are making money from Obama then just drifting from town to town. Obama is going to weaken the American dollar so much it will take every dime a man has to buy bread. That is what is coming to . There isn't going to be a workforce to keep up this country much longer . Obama is will take our weapons, our energy, our economy then leave this country. I think he has set us up for the greatest fall in American History ! If you think Hillary Clinton is different -she is not ! Clinton sold out and her husband caused our banks to fall because of deregulation ! She said one that Obama had no experience she was right then she sold out . She seems brainwashed and Clinton he never told the truth did he ? Clinton is "the great embellisher" !”

“I Appreciate the energy God gave us inside those mountains. The mountains can be mined for the energy we need and still be beautiful. You need to also realize the danger that lurks on these mountains -The dope growers they are the real environmental demise of our society.”

“This is so wrong what Obama is doing . This game Obama is playing is destroying Ky . He has devastated our state and our people . People who dont know the value that coal was to our economy will soon find out how much coal really meant to everyone ! This is hurting families all over our great state . Coal miners pay their taxes and supported our country .Its time we get a President who supports those who work and make America strong again. You cannot give to those truly in need if no one is working ! That's the real math! By the time Obama gets out of office we will all be in need. Obama is the worst president in history!”

“Whatever he has done ? He has taken our jobs ! Our electric bills are going up ! He has challenged everything this country was founded on.He has increased the national debt ! He has attacked the healthcare industry and the energy industry ! He has played the race card and he is part white himself ! He has no business sense ! Its not GW that is running this country -THIS IS OBAMAS DAMN MESS ! OBAMA IS THE WORST PRESIDENT IN HISTORY AND IN MY OPINION HE IS TRULY UNAMERICAN !He devalued the founding fathers of this country ! He doesnt believe in work ethics or support business owners ! He thinks the working people is the enemy. If someone is lazy they do not deserve what a working man has. We need a president who believes that you should earn a living !”

Since: Jul 11

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 25, 2013

Judged:

96% of the carbon dioxide emitted comes from humans, animals. water vapor, solar activity, etc. What's Obama gonna do bout curbing that?
How can Mars, Neptune and Pluto be experiencing global warming when they have no CO2 emissions for autos, factories, etc?
Coal is King

Hopkinsville, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 25, 2013

Judged:

--Sample of posts from Richlands, VA, Topix forum:

“Hope you dumbass liberals will be happy when there are no jobs here since the whole economy is based on coal.”

“Check the news, our wonderful president is going to sign an order by passing congress. This will be the final blow to coal. Get ready for higher power bills. Lots of businesses will fold. Way to go all you hard core democrats and republicans. Voting independent from now on!”

--A post from Prestonburg, KY:

“Thanks to Obama and all who voted for him for helping me lose my job, my house and how I feed my family. I would like to thank the U.M.W.A who supported Obama, and all of the Blacks who get Checks every month that voted for Obama. Obama got 98% of the Black vote! Thanks A lot !”

--A post from Sod, WV:

“Lol Obama said he was goin to shut down the coal fired power plants by regulating them!! Forcing them to switch to natural gas... Ok he appointed Lisa Jackson to the epa who is clearly against coal Now who's the dumb one?? So here's what's going to happen the coal fired plants are over regulated and now switching to gas, then like everything else supply and demand goes up for gas thus raising electric bills through the roof and as for the union used to be a great thing but unfortunately the baby boom generation killed it striking because the $hit is above the blue water in the porta potty stealing soap and strike because there's none the way the union is now psshut you can have it!!!!”

--A Post from Bancroft, WV:

“they said when we hit the natural gas we will be turning it to gasoline so the price would go down. but once again the poor man pay's while the stock broker's and big business get richer. wake up people and C the whole picture because you and me are going to live by a necular or gas fired power plant. we the people need to impeach oboma. he has to go before he has time to finish off what little we still have. a lot of my friends are already layed off. let's save the one's who still have a job.”

--A post from Williamson, WV:

“We are in real trouble my man is a miner and thank god he hasnt lost his job yet. i hope he don't. i will pray for all u miners who lost there job nothing is goin to change unless we change it luckily he can't get voted in for anymore time in office i hope the next prez isn't as selfish and stupid as obama. for those who are wondering yes i work as well does my man i do not draw a check for anything but for what hours i work i'm not a lazy bum”

--A post from Charleston, WV:
“Ok now on killing our steel market if you kill coal how shall we get the heat to make steel because natural gas don't burn hot enough to melt steel! We gotta have coal it's in the asphalt you drive on, it's in the car you drive, it's used to purify the water you drink!”

“So long to you, Righties”

Since: Jan 12

keep suckin' and whiffin'!

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 25, 2013

Judged:

Coal is King wrote:
From the Pikeville, KY, Topix Forum this morning:
“Today, Tuesday the 25th 2013 marks the end of the coal industry in the United States. He plans to sidestep congress and by executive order finish off the coal industry he helped cripple. The executive orders to the EPA will ensure all coal fired plants will not meet emissions standards.
Mark this day on your calendar the final nails will be driven in the coal industry's coffin. He just killed every coal related job in Southern Appalachia. Better figure how you are going to raise your kids and pay a power bill that will triple or quadruple if you live in Ky. or W.Va.
If anyone is old enough to remember the late 50's and 60's in Eastern Ky. you will remember the gut wrenching poverty of the area. The times when there were no jobs but low wage coal mining and everyone was moving north to seek employment and a better life. When the coal boom ended in the early 80's and coal fell to below $20 a ton we experienced another great migration to the south for those that sought work and a better life for their kids.
I would say that we will see another great exodus from the coal fields as mines close and the coal industry collapses but now there is nowhere to go. The national economy and job market is crippled and the higher cost of energy will make it worse, especially in the southern states that depend on coal for power generation.
From the time when Robert Kennedy filmed and showed the nation the abject poverty the people of Southern Appalachia were living in to the time of Lyndon Johnsons Great Society Program and his War On Poverty millions were poured into this region to better the life of Eastern Kentuckians. The ARC and a hos of other programs to cut roads into the region and bring us up to par with the rest of the country. We just took a giant step backwards today! From the time of John Kennedy and Lyndon Johnson a whole generations work to save this region has just been destroyed by the stroke of a dictator's pen. Ironic, a democratic president saved this region and a so called democratic president just destroyed it.
Cap and trade, cap industrial growth and trade what few jobs we have left to communist China! Change we can believe in! I believe this heartless bastard just changed life in Appalachia for the worse! East Kentucky Hard times, get used to it. Get used to just scrapping by the best way you can and hope a few older people are left around to show you how to do it.”
What do you envirofreaks have to say to the many hundreds of thousands of coal miners are going to lose their jobs because of this?
I'm happy as a clam. Especially when I also get to laugh in the face of a coal industry troll like yourself.

ROTFLMAO!!
Coal is King

Hopkinsville, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 25, 2013

Judged:

--A post from Georgetown, KY:

"Natural Gas may reap the short term benefits of Power Plants being converted but long term we will still pay through the nose.

Obama is the problem, his use of the EPA through presidential mandates is his method, the natural gas industry will reap huge profits and help fund his war on coal.

When all the power plants are converted to natural gas a huge expense to the power companies, they will pass that cost on to consumers as rate hikes to pay for the conversion. Also when they all get converted the cheap natural gas prices will skyrocket, the old story now we have such demand we have to raise the price. The environmentalist will go crazy over the fracking and the destruction of the water table, plus the earthquakes in some area's. Then since natural gas is still a carbon based fuel the EPA will also go after Nat Gas in a few years. Burning 50% cleaner does not mean it will meet the clean air standards forever.

It will still mean a devastated economic area in East Kentucky when we lose all the coal mining and coal related jobs. It don't take that many workers for the natural gas industry and the Marcellus Shale Coalition and Marcellus Shale States will provide most of the gas for power generation. East Ky. although a natural gas producer is small when compared to the Marcellus Shale states.

Obama is the cause, EPA is his tool, natural gas is his payroll, new fuel source plus financial backer and we are screwed!"

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 25, 2013

Judged:

Here's what we should do with Kentucky and W. Virginia:

Take the two states and separate out the large population areas (not too many of those, luckily) as a population zone, and move everyone else out of rural areas and into new housing in the population zone. Then, turn the bulk of the two states into a massive new Appalachian State Park system.

Infrastructure's already there, plenty of parking, lots of unspoiled beauty...and we'd get rid of the poverty, bad labor practices, pollution, destruction of land, and corruption.

A win/win!:)
Coal is King

Hopkinsville, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 25, 2013

Judged:

tha Professor wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm happy as a clam. Especially when I also get to laugh in the face of a coal industry troll like yourself.
ROTFLMAO!!
I'll be the one that's lauging when I'm sitting back in my mountain hollow hideaway listening to the radio news tell about how the city that you live in has no power, no clean water, and the unemployed hungry welfare class is rioting. And you know who the next president, probably Rand Paul, is going to send in the quell those riots? National Guard units from the coal fields, that's who.

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 25, 2013

Judged:

Coal is King wrote:
<quoted text>
I'll be the one that's lauging when I'm sitting back in my mountain hollow hideaway listening to the radio news tell about how the city that you live in has no power, no clean water, and the unemployed hungry welfare class is rioting. And you know who the next president, probably Rand Paul, is going to send in the quell those riots? National Guard units from the coal fields, that's who.
LOL...yteah, you hillbillies love to fantasize about killin' folks, don't'cha?

Thing is, you're usually too busy chasin' yer sisters up and down the holler to bother 'bout city folk.

Next President "probably Rand Paul..." LOL

That's remarkably stupid.
Bluegrass Democrat

Hopkinsville, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 25, 2013

Judged:

tha Professor wrote:
Here's what we should do with Kentucky and W. Virginia:
Take the two states and separate out the large population areas (not too many of those, luckily) as a population zone, and move everyone else out of rural areas and into new housing in the population zone. Then, turn the bulk of the two states into a massive new Appalachian State Park system.
Infrastructure's already there, plenty of parking, lots of unspoiled beauty...and we'd get rid of the poverty, bad labor practices, pollution, destruction of land, and corruption.
A win/win!:)
That is a really stupid, idiotic suggestion. People like you are one of the main reasons why people like me have such a hard time changing the thinking of people here. You make it so easy for Big Coal to paint you as the common enemy. Rural Kentucky is one of the largest, most productive agricultural production areas in the world. Suggesting that everybody be evicted from their homes and forcibly moved into the Louisville-Lexington-Richmond- Frankfort urban quadrangle is the thinking of an imbecile, pure and simple.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 25, 2013

Bluegrass Democrat wrote:
<quoted text>
That is a really stupid, idiotic suggestion. People like you are one of the main reasons why people like me have such a hard time changing the thinking of people here. You make it so easy for Big Coal to paint you as the common enemy. Rural Kentucky is one of the largest, most productive agricultural production areas in the world. Suggesting that everybody be evicted from their homes and forcibly moved into the Louisville-Lexington-Richmond- Frankfort urban quadrangle is the thinking of an imbecile, pure and simple.
I'm glad Obama didn't have more time to consult with the flat earth society like yours. This start is 20 yrs too late, coal will go the same way as the 8 track tape in cars, vinyl records, the vhs & beta video recorders and have its place in history. Either work on a technology to clean burn or shut up shop. They are the only two choices. Screaming about lost jobs is no different than the local blacksmith screaming when the auto mobile was invented. Its way past its use by date.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 25, 2013

Cut from Obama's speech:

As stated in a previous post, in this game there is no prize for second place.

"I know some Republicans in Washington dismiss these jobs, but those who do need to call home — because 75 percent of all wind energy in this country is generated in Republican districts.........
And countries like China and Germany are going all in in the race for clean energy. I believe Americans build things better than anybody else. I want America to win that race, but we can’t win it if we’re not in it."
Retired Farmer

Mayfield, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 25, 2013

OzRitz wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm glad Obama didn't have more time to consult with the flat earth society like yours. This start is 20 yrs too late, coal will go the same way as the 8 track tape in cars, vinyl records, the vhs & beta video recorders and have its place in history. Either work on a technology to clean burn or shut up shop. They are the only two choices. Screaming about lost jobs is no different than the local blacksmith screaming when the auto mobile was invented. Its way past its use by date.
Uh, Oz,

I think you need to check your sights. You seem to be firing on one of your own side.
gcaveman1

Bay Springs, MS

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 25, 2013

I pay to flush my toilet. So do you. You know what a convenience that is?

Why should everyone be able to flush into the atmosphere and not pay? Especially the biggest flushers.

Begin to think of carbon as excrement and your whole perspective changes.

Read the White House's Climate Change Plan
www.slate.com
gcaveman1

Bay Springs, MS

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 25, 2013

Teddy R wrote:
So CO2 turns out to be a red herring and not the global AGW Doomsday Device after all.
http://www.ft.com/intl/cms/s/0/1c273ab0-dbe4-...
Tank you tedie. I'm converted. Give me an AK-47 and I'll go kill the bastards.
gcaveman1

Bay Springs, MS

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 25, 2013

Judged:

OzRitz wrote:
Well there is still hope if all you ex-Republicans especially those living in the south might convince some others to come back to the fold. Instead of following a path that leads to nowhere.
In my view I think the Tea party was the squeaky wheel in this quantum shift to the right. The ole saying about the squeaky wheel gets the most grease. Well they spoke the loudest and obtained influence they didn't deserve. Surely the majority of Americans cannot hold those views, because its a train wreck waiting to happen.
Agree completely.

Someone said the other day, "There are only so many angry 50-year-old guys out there." They can't win.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 25, 2013

Retired Farmer wrote:
<quoted text>
Uh, Oz,
I think you need to check your sights. You seem to be firing on one of your own side.
Ops! sorry a bit of friendly fire, meant to reply to the coal king.
Teddy R

Mclean, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 26, 2013

Judged:

gcaveman1 wrote:
<quoted text>
Tank you tedie. I'm converted. Give me an AK-47 and I'll go kill the bastards.
Ooooh - such a "scientific" response.
Retired Farmer

Mayfield, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 26, 2013

Here is a good, balanced article on this from National Geographic:

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/energ...

Please note three important facts:

1. Coal now generates only 40 percent of the electricity in the US.

2. Most of the coal fired power plants in the US are 50 years old or older. They are already nearing the end of their service life.

3. Natural gas is plentiful, cheaper in every way than coal, and far less polluting. Not only does it produce far less CO2, it does not produce the mountains of dangerously toxic ash that coal does.

Something else interesting I learned too. The coal industry makes it sound like, and a lot of miners in the coal mining counties (only 36 of Kentucky's 120 counties have coal)believe, that there are hundreds of thousands of coal miners. There are in fact fewer than 90,000 coal miners in the entire USA. As of 2010, the solar power industry employed more people (119,000) than did coal.

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 26, 2013

Judged:

Bluegrass Democrat wrote:
<quoted text>
Big Coal is the common enemy, maybe you should remember that tough guy...

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

91 Users are viewing the Chicago Forum right now

Search the Chicago Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
Ask Amy 8-1-14 3 min Pippa 9
Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 4 min Incognito4Ever 1,084,598
Abby 8-1-14 12 min Cass 5
Israeli troops begin Gaza pullout as Hamas decl... (Jan '09) 16 min TRD 68,090
Obama, Emanuel Need to Put Chicago's Kids First 1 hr dirtbag1958 7
Is Anything on the Internet Real Anymore? 1 hr Melissa Melton 1
IL Illinois Governor Recall Amendment (Oct '10) 1 hr Pay to Play 1,881
BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting... (Jan '09) 3 hr Bellweather 175,243
Topix Chitown Regulars (Aug '09) 3 hr PEllen 97,587
•••
•••
•••

Chicago Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••

Chicago People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••