Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds up, leaving litt...

Full story: Newsday

When Bill Clinton took office in 1993, global warming was a slow-moving environmental problem that was easy to ignore.
Comments
34,401 - 34,420 of 46,244 Comments Last updated 3 hrs ago

“Let's X Change!!”

Since: Feb 09

B4 HOPE Is Gone...

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 12, 2013

Judged:

SpaceBlues wrote:
<quoted text>LOL.
"want call"..???
You "want" call, will you? Hahaha you "want" laugh...
maybe i should've been honest and just called you a liar in hindsight. lol
Sandy

Minneapolis, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 12, 2013

Judged:

Patriot AKA Bozo wrote:
<quoted text>
I stand by my statement that you are either ignorant of science, a radical RW troll, or a paid industrial disrupter. CO2 does indeed cause a drop in the pH of the ocean because it forms a weak acid in the presence of water. Since man is indeed adding to the concentration of CO2 in the atmosphere, some of that "extra" CO2 makes it to the ocean where it forms an acid and lowers the pH. Can you dispute this?
I am sure you will try, but you cannot because it is a known scientific phenomenon. If you attempt to do so, either you are scientifically ignorant or are simply trying to deny science.
What makes the most sense is: the negative feedbacks of ocean warming will release the 'extra' CO2 and ph will thus remain relatively stable. There are other examples but most likely you have already thought of them so I will not risk insulting you with the obvious.
gcaveman1

Bay Springs, MS

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 12, 2013

Judged:

Patriot AKA Bozo wrote:
<quoted text>
What do you suppose is causing the decrease in pH in the ocean? Exactly how do you recommend buffering the ocean? I am understanding that either you have no scientific understanding, are simply a radical RW troll, or a paid disrupter.
I believe he's trying to say that he thinks we can mitigate rising ocean acidity.

His experiment was obviously done in a 75 gallon aquarium!

Imagine that!
gcaveman1

Bay Springs, MS

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 12, 2013

Judged:

ritedownthemiddle wrote:
<quoted text>lol....I made a factual observation. Buffering water will stabilize ph.
The article was speaking of hatcheries and/or specific areas of the ocean, but you choose to go with the entire volume of oceanic waters.
Okay!!! If a known solution to a problem seems so outlandish to you for the oceans.....why does mitigating a fraction of one driver in a myriad of others make sense to you for the entire planet and atmosphere?
Lol.....yeah, it's pretty warped when you put it in that perspective.
You made a factual observation and then offered a solution to ocean acidification, "The good news is that you can buffer the water..." You were comparing the ocean with a few hundred gallons of water. You blew off the question of ocean acidification like it wasn't serious in any way.

No comparison. I don't propose adding anything to the oceans to solve the problem. I don't propose adding anything to the atmosphere to rid it of greenhouse gases. I propose conservation, efficiency, and alternative power.

Can you possibly see the difference?

Since: Mar 09

Wichita, KS

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 13, 2013

Judged:

ritedownthemiddle wrote:
<quoted text>I would expect no less from a religious zealot than to stand by his beliefs.....even when he doesn't have a shred of evidence to back it up!! LOL
Okay.....I'll play. Of the 400 parts per million (which has recently been disputed like all other studies) about 19.5 ppm is caused by man of which about 16.84 ppm is directly from fossil fuels. At least that's what the studies say.
Of that amount about .26-.32% is believed to absorbed by oceans. Do you know how much co2 the ocean is currently releasing at this time....which, incidentally, has been contributing to the atmospheric rise in the first place?
Of course one can deny the findings but it is apparent that it is politically inspired through either ignorance or greed.

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-q2m7SuzbkXk/Tae6MF_...
http://ts1.mm.bing.net/th...
http://ts2.mm.bing.net/th...
http://oceanworld.tamu.edu/resources/oceanogr...
http://www.windows2universe.org/earth/climate...
http://www.earthlyissues.com/images/_ph_level...

Wichita, KS

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 13, 2013

Judged:

Sandy wrote:
<quoted text>
What makes the most sense is: the negative feedbacks of ocean warming will release the 'extra' CO2 and ph will thus remain relatively stable. There are other examples but most likely you have already thought of them so I will not risk insulting you with the obvious.
So you are willing to ignore the facts that show decreasing ocean pH as CO2 is dissolved into the ocean. It must be nice to disregard facts for agenda, but it makes one look rather uneducated.

Since: Jul 11

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 13, 2013

Judged:

gcaveman1 wrote:
<quoted text>
I believe he's trying to say that he thinks we can mitigate rising ocean acidity.
His experiment was obviously done in a 75 gallon aquarium!
Imagine that!
The solution is simple, every time anyone, anywhere in the world goes fishing they throw a bucket of lime into the water. Problem solved!. All the coral reefs will come back to life, the fish start breeding again and we all live happily ever after.
This will be on par with most of the other denier hand book solutions to a problem when you are not having a problem.
gcaveman1

Laurel, MS

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 13, 2013

Judged:

tha Professor wrote:
<quoted text>
Brainless_G doesn't turn the lights out at night, he does experiments to see whether Lighted Room Mitigation works.
Results are so far inconclusive, so he's not getting much sleep....;)
Braindead has assured us that climate change mitigation works when he informed everyone that our greenhouse gases had preented us from slipping into another ice age.

Why does he keep asking that stupid question? He already knows mitigation works!

“Let's X Change!!”

B4 HOPE Is Gone...

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 13, 2013

Judged:

Patriot AKA Bozo wrote:
thanks for this link!!
it basically shows, even to your crowd, that one of the three major drivers besides co2 are TDS. doesn't it seem obvious?!?!
total dissolved solids where lower pH level are shown on the map are occuring in mostly poor and developing areas of the world.

OCEANIC pH HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH ATMOSPHERIC CO2!!!!! if it did, lower pH would be more diluted instead of concentrated in the areas shown on the map.:-)

relax.....co2 is good and life giving. don't be a globe hater.....give the earth what it wants and needs!!
SpaceBlues

Houston, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 13, 2013

Judged:

In setting targets for reductions in CO2 emissions, we should take account of the impact of CO2 on ocean chemistry, as well as on climate change. Ocean acidification is a powerful reason, in addition to that of climate change, for reducing global CO2 emissions. Action needs to be taken now to reduce global emissions of CO2 to the atmosphere to avoid irreversible damage to the oceans.

http://coralreef.noaa.gov/aboutcrcp/strategy/...

“I Luv Carbon Dioxide”

Since: Dec 08

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 13, 2013

Judged:

Patriot AKA Bozo wrote:
I stand by my statement that you are either ignorant of science, a radical RW troll, or a paid industrial disrupter.
^^^Here we disagree.

Patriot AKA Bozo wrote:
CO2 does indeed cause a drop in the pH of the ocean because it forms a weak acid in the presence of water. Since man is indeed adding to the concentration of CO2 in the atmosphere, some of that "extra" CO2 makes it to the ocean where it forms an acid and lowers the pH. Can you dispute this?
^^^Here we agree.

Patriot AKA Bozo wrote:
I am sure you will try, but you cannot because it is a known scientific phenomenon. If you attempt to do so, either you are scientifically ignorant or are simply trying to deny science.
^^^Here we disagree.

Ever hear of coral bleeching? Man made CO2 lowers pH; Bleech has a pH of 13.

Science is fascinating; man made CO2 isn't the problem; it's the cure.
LessHypeMoreFact

Toronto, Canada

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 14, 2013

Judged:

Brian_G wrote:
<quoted text>
Ever hear of coral bleeching?
No. Is it anything like coral bleaching? Which is acually a color change (to white) caused by the symbiotic algae dying or abandoning the coral.
Brian_G wrote:
<quoted text>
Man made CO2 lowers pH;
Hence, the term 'acidification'.
Brian_G wrote:
<quoted text>
Bleech has a pH of 13.
I wouldn't know. Bleach has a Ph of about 9 to 11 depending on how much sodium hydroxide is unreacted but that is not a property of the sodium hypochlorite. Not that this has any relevance.
Brian_G wrote:
<quoted text>
Science is fascinating;
I'm sure it is. You watch it like a snake, never getting involved or even close.
Brian_G wrote:
<quoted text>
man made CO2 isn't the problem; it's the cure.
There is no 'man made CO2'. God created all the carbon and oxygen (though he may have used supernovas to do it..) There is anthropogenic CO2 emissions from fossil fuel combustion and this is a problem due to the buildup in the atmosphere and the greenhouse effect increasing the global average surface temperature.

You might try some of that science, but first you need an education to enable you to absorb it without harm..

Wichita, KS

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 14, 2013

Judged:

LessHypeMoreFact wrote:
<quoted text>
No. Is it anything like coral bleaching? Which is acually a color change (to white) caused by the symbiotic algae dying or abandoning the coral.
<quoted text>
Hence, the term 'acidification'.
<quoted text>
I wouldn't know. Bleach has a Ph of about 9 to 11 depending on how much sodium hydroxide is unreacted but that is not a property of the sodium hypochlorite. Not that this has any relevance.
<quoted text>
I'm sure it is. You watch it like a snake, never getting involved or even close.
<quoted text>
There is no 'man made CO2'. God created all the carbon and oxygen (though he may have used supernovas to do it..) There is anthropogenic CO2 emissions from fossil fuel combustion and this is a problem due to the buildup in the atmosphere and the greenhouse effect increasing the global average surface temperature.
You might try some of that science, but first you need an education to enable you to absorb it without harm..
These two are like playing whack-a-mole. No matter how hard they are whacked, they just pop back up again to get popped once more. It is fun for a while but it gets a little boring.

Wichita, KS

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 14, 2013

Judged:

ritedownthemiddle wrote:
<quoted text>thanks for this link!!
it basically shows, even to your crowd, that one of the three major drivers besides co2 are TDS. doesn't it seem obvious?!?!
total dissolved solids where lower pH level are shown on the map are occuring in mostly poor and developing areas of the world.
OCEANIC pH HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH ATMOSPHERIC CO2!!!!! if it did, lower pH would be more diluted instead of concentrated in the areas shown on the map.:-)
relax.....co2 is good and life giving. don't be a globe hater.....give the earth what it wants and needs!!
Study this noting the references. Then perhaps you can begin to understand the relationship of CO2 to ocean pH. It would help if you took a 101 course in basic science.

“Let's X Change!!”

B4 HOPE Is Gone...

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 14, 2013

Judged:

Patriot AKA Bozo wrote:
<quoted text>
Study this noting the references. Then perhaps you can begin to understand the relationship of CO2 to ocean pH. It would help if you took a 101 course in basic science.
i do understand... and it's scientific reasoning. Your whacked out beliefs are steeped in philosophy, son, not science.
SpaceBlues

Houston, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 14, 2013

Judged:

ritedownthemiddle wrote:
<quoted text>maybe i should've been honest and just called you a liar in hindsight. lol
Relax. You do amply qualify as a dishonest denier, rogue.

“Let's X Change!!”

B4 HOPE Is Gone...

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 14, 2013

Judged:

SpaceBlues wrote:
<quoted text>Relax. You do amply qualify as a dishonest denier, rogue.
now now, spacey, spacey, be nice to people you can't prove wrong.

Wichita, KS

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 14, 2013

Judged:

ritedownthemiddle wrote:
<quoted text>i do understand... and it's scientific reasoning. Your whacked out beliefs are steeped in philosophy, son, not science.
Without real facts and observation, scientific reasoning is not possible. Get the facts, pops. All the great science academies and institutions do not agree with your reasoning. How do you account for this? Some great worldwide conspiracy????
SpaceBlues

Houston, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 14, 2013

Judged:

ritedownthemiddle wrote:
<quoted text>now now, spacey, spacey, be nice to people you can't prove wrong.
Oh rogue, alas, you are wrong by definition.

Regrets only.

“Let's X Change!!”

B4 HOPE Is Gone...

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 14, 2013

Judged:

Patriot AKA Bozo wrote:
<quoted text>
Without real facts and observation, scientific reasoning is not possible. Get the facts, pops. All the great science academies and institutions do not agree with your reasoning. How do you account for this? Some great worldwide conspiracy????
none of them agree with your conclusions either. granted, many may say "could", "might" "possibly" yadayada....but they don't know anything yet. they're looking at one driver out of many. pseudoscientists run with factoids to conclude what they want to 'discover'.
get it?

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••

Flood Warning for Cook County was issued at August 22 at 8:29PM CDT

•••
•••
Chicago Dating

more search filters

less search filters

•••

Chicago Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••