Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds up, leaving litt...

Full story: Newsday

When Bill Clinton took office in 1993, global warming was a slow-moving environmental problem that was easy to ignore.
Comments
34,081 - 34,100 of 45,798 Comments Last updated 11 hrs ago

“So long to you, Righties”

Since: Jan 12

keep suckin' and whiffin'!

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 23, 2013

Judged:

ritedownthemiddle wrote:
<quoted text>Who are you to tell people what they should or shouldn't drive based on mere opinions you have?
Hey....go bitch at the Chinese. I read in Forbes yesterday that GM (Government Motors) is looking forward to a big increase of SUV sales in China. True story. They are looking to edge out Ford to retake the lead in the highly profitable SUV and pick-up sectors.
The government needs to be telling industry what they can make, not telling people what they can drive. And they're doing so - raising emissions and fuel economy standards is forcing industry to improve, and it's the ONLY way to make them do so.

We can't force the Chinese to do so, but we can apply pressure in certain areas, including economic competition.

GM is not owned by the government either, Denier idiot.
SpaceBlues

Houston, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 23, 2013

Judged:

tha Professor wrote:
<quoted text>
The government needs to be telling industry what they can make, not telling people what they can drive. And they're doing so - raising emissions and fuel economy standards is forcing industry to improve, and it's the ONLY way to make them do so.
We can't force the Chinese to do so, but we can apply pressure in certain areas, including economic competition.
GM is not owned by the government either, Denier idiot.
Yet, these deniers can't get over the fact that Al Gore sold something to somebody.

Hypocrites.
SpaceBlues

Houston, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 23, 2013

Judged:

SpaceBlues wrote:
<quoted text>Correction: trolling for trollish.
They are the last graduates of the fossil fuel troll training class for topix.
That included icon spamming.

Pathetic, trolls.
My Perspective My Choice

Columbus, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 23, 2013

Judged:

tha Professor wrote:
<quoted text>
Yeah, and today we call them "Tea Partiers" or just "Republicans."
;)
Silly Professor, zealot behavior is something brought to the 21st century by libs and dems! The sign carrying lunatics ("The End is Near") of today are actually people like you AND the "Occupy Movement".

Now... I am going to retreat for a spell. I am not going to become one of those people who post 24/7, but this has been fun! I have a career... actually 2 of them! So go ahead and "dismiss" or "fire" me; as if that means anything. I'll pop back in 2 or 3 months and stir something up again!

I will also leave you with this so you can continue to perpetuate the junk science of your false prophets: Saturday, May 25 is "March Against Monsanto Day". While a vocal minority pack signs in some U.S. cities, and will be generally ignored my most people (another "The End is Near" moment), I will acknowledge this day by helping my farm manager plant our last field of Genetically Modified soybeans. We finished planting our Genetically Modified corn last week... and we planted a lot of it! Later, we will vaccinate some beef cattle maybe use some antibiotics where needed. Funny thing, we will have no trouble marketing these products come fall and winter!! So... chew on that and keep the thread moving with misinformation!

My Perspective My Choice

Columbus, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 23, 2013

Judged:

Oh, one more thing to "Right Down the Middle": continue to keep the zealots honest!! I'm outa' here!
litesong

Everett, WA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 23, 2013

Judged:

middleofthedownwronggully wrote:
...... GM (Government Motors) is looking forward to a big increase of SUV sales in China.
Lots of communist chinese(ALWAYS SMALL LETTERS) are rich after 40+ years of re-pubic-lick-un businesspeople profiting, while sending industries & jobs to communist china(ALWAYS SMALL LETTERS) & americans buying communist chinese(ALWAYS SMALL LETTERS) junk.

Remember........ communist chinese(ALWAYS SMALL LETTERS) murdered, tortured, & starved to death, 100 million of the own BROTHERS, SISTERS, CHILDREN, & BABIES to hang the ropes of communist chinese(ALWAYS SMALL LETTERS) dictatorship around the necks of the remaining HONORABLE CHINESE CITIZENS.
SpaceBlues

Houston, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 23, 2013

Judged:

My Perspective My Choice wrote:
<quoted text>To another poster:

Silly Professor, zealot behavior is something brought to the 21st century by libs and dems! The sign carrying lunatics ("The End is Near") of today are actually people like you AND the "Occupy Movement".
Now... I am going to retreat for a spell. I am not going to become one of those people who post 24/7, but this has been fun! I have a career... actually 2 of them! So go ahead and "dismiss" or "fire" me; as if that means anything. I'll pop back in 2 or 3 months and stir something up again!
I will also leave you with this so you can continue to perpetuate the junk science of your false prophets: Saturday, May 25 is "March Against Monsanto Day". While a vocal minority pack signs in some U.S. cities, and will be generally ignored my most people (another "The End is Near" moment), I will acknowledge this day by helping my farm manager plant our last field of Genetically Modified soybeans. We finished planting our Genetically Modified corn last week... and we planted a lot of it! Later, we will vaccinate some beef cattle maybe use some antibiotics where needed. Funny thing, we will have no trouble marketing these products come fall and winter!! So... chew on that and keep the thread moving with misinformation!
Your cockiness is not warranted!

Remember your words when you are made humble by your deeds. Don't let the door slam on you.
SpaceBlues

Houston, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 23, 2013

Judged:

Oh, one more thing to "Right Down the Middle": continue to keep the zealots honest!! I'm outa' here!
Oh you confirm hereby the new crop of deniers discharged from the fossil fuel troll training for topix.

Dishonest denier, don't come back, you hear!
TrollBot

Mclean, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 23, 2013

Judged:

tha Eedjit Professor wrote:
<quoted text>

(Another tediously juvenile and inane troll snipped)
Troll. Ignore.

"Flagging trolls until Topix lets you killfile the scum." ]
Retired Farmer

Greenville, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 23, 2013

A good read for anybody that is interested:

http://www.pbs.org/newshour/businessdesk/2013...

Since: Jul 11

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 23, 2013

Judged:

LMAO!! Remember the 70's when the zealots paraded around with signs saying "the end is near"? The only thing that has changed is that now those zealots have electronic media and internet. What our friend here is suggesting is more government regulation!! Sorry, we have enough! Suggesting more taxes? Sorry, we have enough. Cowboy? Guilty! However, your assertion that anyone with a big truck, an RV, or other outdoor recreational machines is destroying nature is lunacy. Yes, there are some idiots but the vast majority are contributing to conservation efforts (the cost of my out-of-state hunting licenses out west is pretty big!) It's like the people you claim to speak for... the clothes line and compact car crowd: I bet there are some of those who use their dryer and have an SUV as well! Note on fuel: The U.S. has a clean alternative for blending and reducing emissions; however we have legislators in the pockets of big oil fighting it and keeping foreign oil commerce alive and well!
That is the problem, Oil & Coal mining/exploration are still viable business models. That needs changing as of yesterday, remember the climate activist Bill McKibben of 350.org who said we are going to be in big trouble when CO2 hits the 350 mark well its now at 400. So the time line for complete disaster in some studies is only 15 yrs away. The oceans currently hold a lot of CO2 if that temp rises another degree then the ocean uptake is reduced and its straight into the atmosphere. This means more "Sandys" more "Oklahoma's" more floods more drought.
I mean everyone in here is posting big picture stuff and when anyone mentions what should happen at a individual level they get jumped on. So what about hanging clothes on the line, so what about getting a smaller car. YOU ARE SAVING THE PLANET HERE! not your lifestyle. does it restrict your freedom...NO. So don't react like someone is saying you need to eat dirt to survive. Once the tipping point is reached there is no going back, so deny all you want but this is not a religion. This is fact! The ones who have made it into a religion are in fact the deniers with crap like worshipping volcano's and pole shifts and a back yard blogger who found an anomaly in a dataset. It's all BS, trying to deflect from the main game.

http://insideclimatenews.org/news/20130430/al...
gcaveman1

Bay Springs, MS

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 23, 2013

Judged:

Brian_G wrote:
<quoted text>That's advertising jargon, just because you call taxing our fossil fuel use, capping our CO2 emissions, spending taxpayer dollars on green energy and carbon sinks doesn't mean it will do any good at all. There's no way to tell without experimental tests.
But you said CO2 had prevented the next ice age.

You don't need an experiment.
gcaveman1

Bay Springs, MS

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 23, 2013

Judged:

There are liars, of course, and if they would lie about having big trucks and farms and high-rise offices and hunting trips, then I guess they have a need for attention.

But if Mr. Choice is telling the truth then he may be a compulsive aquisitionist. Usually driven by insecurity of some kind. It may be the result of a poor childhood and the need to catch up and get everything that was denied as a child. Maybe he feels a higher status now, and that is important to him.

Or it could be a perceived insufficiency such as penis size. I wonder.

Since: Jul 11

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 23, 2013

Judged:

gcaveman1 wrote:
There are liars, of course, and if they would lie about having big trucks and farms and high-rise offices and hunting trips, then I guess they have a need for attention.
But if Mr. Choice is telling the truth then he may be a compulsive aquisitionist. Usually driven by insecurity of some kind. It may be the result of a poor childhood and the need to catch up and get everything that was denied as a child. Maybe he feels a higher status now, and that is important to him.
Or it could be a perceived insufficiency such as penis size. I wonder.
Yeah, ever notice the smaller in stature the bigger the vehicle.
gcaveman1

Bay Springs, MS

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 23, 2013

Judged:

It's all psychology here, with "deniers" and "believers".

The deniers are fearful and paranoid, and feel this new thing threatens them or their lifestyle.

"Believers" accept the scientific consensus and believe action should be taken.

It's emotion versus logic.

Emotion always rules the mob. Logic is the province of the solitary thinker.

Deniers will inevitably convert their actions,if not their philosophy, when being green makes a positive difference in their checking account balances.

"Believers" are winning every day, and lies don't matter.
gcaveman1

Bay Springs, MS

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 23, 2013

Judged:

Good to see some ole Mississippi boys, with their Mississippi accents, drawlin' on about their new solar panels, on MPB tonight.

Yeah, seems chicken house roofs are ideally sited for solar panels. Mississippi has a lot of chicken houses. Ole boy said he was a net energy producer now. HE HAS ELIMINATED HIS ELECTRICAL COSTS FOR RAISING CHICKENS.

Lowering production costs is the goal of every capitalist. So solar fits into the existing system quite nicely. Solar is coming, even in the "last" state.
Where

Weaverville, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 23, 2013

Judged:

How

“Let's X Change!!”

Since: Feb 09

B4 HOPE Is Gone...

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 23, 2013

Judged:

gcaveman1 wrote:
Good to see some ole Mississippi boys, with their Mississippi accents, drawlin' on about their new solar panels, on MPB tonight.
Yeah, seems chicken house roofs are ideally sited for solar panels. Mississippi has a lot of chicken houses. Ole boy said he was a net energy producer now. HE HAS ELIMINATED HIS ELECTRICAL COSTS FOR RAISING CHICKENS.
Lowering production costs is the goal of every capitalist. So solar fits into the existing system quite nicely. Solar is coming, even in the "last" state.
Yeah! What the "Jaspa" County bro said while chewin on hiz fry shikken an holdin up hiz paints wiff da other hand.
Ain't no carbon emissions in yo state, cuz. you still farmin' yo 40 wiff yo mule.

“Let's X Change!!”

B4 HOPE Is Gone...

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 23, 2013

Judged:

tha Professor wrote:
<quoted text>
The government needs to be telling industry what they can make
no need to read further. zeig heil, proff!

“Let's X Change!!”

B4 HOPE Is Gone...

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 23, 2013

Judged:

litesong wrote:
<quoted text>
Lots of communist chinese(ALWAYS SMALL LETTERS) are rich after 40+ years of re-pubic-lick-un businesspeople profiting, while sending industries & jobs to communist china(ALWAYS SMALL LETTERS) & americans buying communist chinese(ALWAYS SMALL LETTERS) junk.
Remember........ communist chinese(ALWAYS SMALL LETTERS) murdered, tortured, & starved to death, 100 million of the own BROTHERS, SISTERS, CHILDREN, & BABIES to hang the ropes of communist chinese(ALWAYS SMALL LETTERS) dictatorship around the necks of the remaining HONORABLE CHINESE CITIZENS.
eAT mE, DumMy (not all lower case) happy now, brown shirt?

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

65 Users are viewing the Chicago Forum right now

Search the Chicago Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 4 min Flacks News 1,080,706
One kilometre high and counting (Jul '07) 7 min TW_sugar_daddio 12
Israeli troops begin Gaza pullout as Hamas decl... (Jan '09) 15 min fearless 67,997
BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting... (Jan '09) 15 min Jacques from Ottawa 174,690
last post wins! (Apr '13) 31 min not a ghost 296
Last word + 2 (Mar '12) 33 min not a ghost 466
Song Title Game (Dec '11) 39 min not a ghost 1,104
Topix Chitown Regulars (Aug '09) 2 hr RACE 97,542
•••
•••
•••

Chicago Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••