Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds up, leaving litt...

Full story: Newsday 47,499
When Bill Clinton took office in 1993, global warming was a slow-moving environmental problem that was easy to ignore. Full Story
Dont drink the koolaid

Minneapolis, MN

#36142 May 25, 2013
"Believers" believe that scientific opinion is embraced as 'fact'... or "as solid as to be all but established fact".
gcaveman1 wrote:
<quoted text>
What a crock of shit. The science is so solid as to be all but established fact.
Sir, your conformation of my statements are, as always, appreciated.

Sincerely,
koolaid
SpaceBlues

Houston, TX

#36143 May 25, 2013
koolaid is not cool at all.
Dont drink the koolaid

Minneapolis, MN

#36144 May 25, 2013
gcaveman1 wrote:
<quoted text>
What a crock of shit.
I have faith that the researchers have done their work accurately and conscientiously. I don't have a religion.
I put "believers" in quotation marks to imply that it is a label. I prefer "acceptors"..
Sir,
when consulting with an equivocating "acceptor" with an extreme case of Cognitive Dissonance it may be prudent to start with a fresh new thread... shall we call it " Faith Versus Skepticism"?
-koolaid
Dont drink the koolaid

Minneapolis, MN

#36145 May 25, 2013
SpaceBlues wrote:
koolaid is not cool at all.
ouch... when did YOU emigrate from Mississippi?:-(
Dont drink the koolaid

Minneapolis, MN

#36146 May 25, 2013
gcaveman1 wrote:
<quoted text>
What a crock of shit. I do not use CAGW because I don't yet accept that AGW will be catastrophic to this or to the next generation, though it could be.
To agree with a mental giant such as yourself is truly an honor!
I too believe that Doctor James Hansen is not a scientist in which someone should bestow their faith.
-koolaid

Since: Jul 11

Location hidden

#36147 May 26, 2013
Dont drink the koolaid wrote:
<quoted text>
To agree with a mental giant such as yourself is truly an honor!
I too believe that Doctor James Hansen is not a scientist in which someone should bestow their faith.
-koolaid
I thought he was speaking the conservative language, dollar$ & cent$. A valid point that surpasses all the bs from the denier camp and that is how do you explain Insurance companies now factoring in climate change into their business model. Is it just because we "scared" them or they have some hard data to prove that these once in a hundred year risks are now becoming a lot more frequent.
Retired Farmer

Kuttawa, KY

#36148 May 26, 2013
Interesting read about the social cost of CO2 emissions put into money terms:

http://www.poughkeepsiejournal.com/article/20...
LessHypeMoreFact

Toronto, Canada

#36149 May 26, 2013
Retired Farmer wrote:
Interesting read about the social cost of CO2 emissions put into money terms:
http://www.poughkeepsiejournal.com/article/20...
The problem with cost benefit analysis on matters of 'externalized costs' is that the benefit is private while the cost is public.
Retired Farmer

Kuttawa, KY

#36150 May 26, 2013
LessHypeMoreFact wrote:
<quoted text>
The problem with cost benefit analysis on matters of 'externalized costs' is that the benefit is private while the cost is public.
I wouldn't exactly call that a "problem with cost benefit analysis" so much as a fact of life. If an industry wants to dump a toxic waste chemical into the air or water, or store it where it will leak out decades later, the owners of that industry will benefit in the form of increased profits from there being no regulations that require them to dispose of their waste safely or, it that is not possible, not engage in the operation that produces the waste. The public cost will come later, when the toxic chemical does its damage.
rico

Nashville, TN

#36153 May 27, 2013
http://dcavelaw.com/ http://www.greenevillesun.com/Local_News/arti...
Arne Marco wrote:
What we normally forget when talking about the amount of CO2, is the significance it has for the human (and other creatures) health. Above 425 ppm in the atmossphere the healthproblems will become more servere, because the blood will slowly be more acid. This will affect bloodpressure etc.
BTW: President Johnson was informed in 1965 about the dangers in increasing the amount of CO2.
SpaceBlues

Houston, TX

#36155 May 30, 2013
<quoted text>
-koolaid
Of course, you do according to your religion.

Dr Hansen would not care to know about your faith. Neither do I.
SpaceBlues

Houston, TX

#36156 May 30, 2013
<quoted text>
ouch... when did YOU emigrate from Mississippi?:-(
Did a pin drop?
SpaceBlues

Houston, TX

#36157 May 30, 2013
How to address global warming

A growing number of business leaders, government officials and private citizens are increasingly concerned about global warming and its implications, and are proposing steps to reverse the trend.

Development of clean energy, including solar, wind and geothermal energy, has immense potential to reduce the amount of coal and oil burned to power electrical generating plants.

More sustainable transportation options, such as mass transit and alt-fuel vehicles, will also reduce the amount of greenhouse gases in the atmosphere.(The Union of Concerned Scientists estimates that about 25 percent of energy-related CO2 emissions in the United States come from passenger vehicles).

Even individual efforts, such as lowering thermostats in winter and using energy-efficient light bulbs, will help to address global warming, but most climate researchers also stress the immediate need for large-scale, international policies to address the complex causes and effects of global warming.

“Let's X Change!!”

Since: Feb 09

B4 HOPE Is Gone...

#36158 May 30, 2013
SpaceBlues wrote:
How to address global warming
A growing number of business leaders, government officials and private citizens are increasingly concerned about global warming and its implications, and are proposing steps to reverse the trend.
Development of clean energy, including solar, wind and geothermal energy, has immense potential to reduce the amount of coal and oil burned to power electrical generating plants.
More sustainable transportation options, such as mass transit and alt-fuel vehicles, will also reduce the amount of greenhouse gases in the atmosphere.(The Union of Concerned Scientists estimates that about 25 percent of energy-related CO2 emissions in the United States come from passenger vehicles).
Even individual efforts, such as lowering thermostats in winter and using energy-efficient light bulbs, will help to address global warming, but most climate researchers also stress the immediate need for large-scale, international policies to address the complex causes and effects of global warming.
what impact will your proposals have on the 'complex causes and effects of global warming"? so far....i haven't found a damned person who can answer that.

co2 is not a pollutant.....plants love it!

Since: Jul 11

Location hidden

#36159 May 30, 2013
Another interesting sideline to the pollution from the oil refineries. The EPA have noted all oil companies have been under reporting their pollution from oil refineries for yrs. In effort to fix this anomaly they tried to get the oil companies to toe the line however companies like Exxon flatly refused.
Seems the resources at EPA haven't got the funding to go after them and they are well aware of that.

http://www.npr.org/2013/05/30/187044721/baton...

And for that poster who was defending the Chinese on their so called innovations. Well proof this week that they have been targeting US military contractors stealing blueprints and the like.
Also stole the complete blueprints from a new Australian (CIA) equivalent Spy headquarters with server locations etc. Now the whole blg which cost almost $700 million might have to be gutted inside. Yeah those Chinese are innovative alright!
SpaceBlues

Houston, TX

#36160 May 31, 2013
Q: Is CO2 a pollutant?

A: How we choose to define the word 'pollutant' is a play in semantics. To focus on a few positive effects of carbon dioxide is to ignore the broader picture of its full impacts. The net result from increasing CO2 are severe negative impacts on our environment and the living conditions of future humanity.

http://www.skepticalscience.com/co2-pollutant...

“Science not Conservatism”

Since: Jan 12

Progress, not Denial

#36161 May 31, 2013
ritedownthemiddle wrote:
<quoted text>what impact will your proposals have on the 'complex causes and effects of global warming"? so far....i haven't found a damned person who can answer that.
co2 is not a pollutant.....plants love it!
ROTFLMAO!!

You demand answers about the complex causes and effects of warming, then post some fatuous comment about C02 being fine because "plants love it?"

Jesus...you really are too stupid to live.

“I Luv Carbon Dioxide”

Since: Dec 08

Location hidden

#36162 May 31, 2013
CO2 isn't pollution, it's invisible, odorless at atmospheric levels and beneficial to plants. Don't just hug a tree, exhale on it too.

“Science not Conservatism”

Since: Jan 12

Progress, not Denial

#36163 May 31, 2013
Asshat Deniers need to test their theories about the beneficial nature of C02 by walking into a room full of it.

It shouldn't be a problem...after all, PLANTS love it!

LOL
gcaveman1

Bay Springs, MS

#36165 May 31, 2013
tha Professor wrote:
Asshat Deniers need to test their theories about the beneficial nature of C02 by walking into a room full of it.
It shouldn't be a problem...after all, PLANTS love it!
LOL
Plants love nitrogen too. I pee on my corn and tomatoes; maybe the asshats would like for me to pee on them.

I could do it.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Chicago Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 11 min RealDave 1,126,932
BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting... (Jan '09) 12 min Beavis 179,410
Abby 10-24 22 min edogxxx 23
Israeli troops begin Gaza pullout as Hamas decl... (Jan '09) 48 min TRD 68,662
Amy 10-24 1 hr Toj 10
Ill. House Approves Legalizing Same-Sex Civil U... (Dec '10) 2 hr D-U-H 50,634
Messianic Jews say they are persecuted in Israel (Jun '08) 2 hr scirocco 70,102
Chicago Dating
Find my Match

Chicago Jobs

Chicago People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Chicago News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Chicago