Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds up, leaving litt...

Full story: Newsday

When Bill Clinton took office in 1993, global warming was a slow-moving environmental problem that was easy to ignore.

Comments (Page 1,704)

Showing posts 34,061 - 34,080 of45,601
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:

“Let's X Change!!”

Since: Feb 09

B4 HOPE Is Gone...

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 22, 2013

Judged:

SpaceBlues wrote:
<quoted text>Meaningless.
according to what i've seen the percentages are more accurate from the german research than the figures in the cook study.

“Let's X Change!!”

B4 HOPE Is Gone...

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 22, 2013

Judged:

SpaceBlues wrote:
<quoted text>Yes, you are twin-b_gone.
No wonder you are also irrelevant and sans science.
another ad hom.....another fail from spacey.

“Let's X Change!!”

B4 HOPE Is Gone...

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 22, 2013

Judged:

OzRitz wrote:
<quoted text>
Does it ever make you wonder the very things you love about nature right now you are helping to destroy by an obsession with BS. You expect your government to protect you yet will no co-operate with government rules because you feel it doesn't apply to you. Same as driving 100 in a 60 zone, its all about the freedom.
Well good luck with your camping trip and enjoy the view because not long into the future the same view will only be from snapshots.
Especially once the fracking drillers and oil companies go wandering around in national parks to keep up with your addiction.
so....you ride a bike...EVERYWHERE? wow.

Since: Jul 11

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 22, 2013

Judged:

ritedownthemiddle wrote:
<quoted text>so....you ride a bike...EVERYWHERE? wow.
No but I buy cars that can still perform and have a carbon offset built into their price for 3 yrs. The bike i reserve for recreation or a quick trip to the shop for milk or bread.
The days of these big SUV's and big a$$ trucks need to be gone and only have farmers & trades ppl being allowed to buy. Anyone living in the city should be banned from buying them. Not only are they a safety hazard they are also a hazard to other drivers because the type of person who buys them drive like idiots.
My Perspective My Choice

Milan, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 22, 2013

OzRitz wrote:
<quoted text>
Does it ever make you wonder the very things you love about nature right now you are helping to destroy by an obsession with BS. You expect your government to protect you yet will no co-operate with government rules because you feel it doesn't apply to you. Same as driving 100 in a 60 zone, its all about the freedom.
Well good luck with your camping trip and enjoy the view because not long into the future the same view will only be from snapshots.
Especially once the fracking drillers and oil companies go wandering around in national parks to keep up with your addiction.
I will do just that! Thank you. Note: my tail pipe emissions (yes, I checked them!) with my modifications are practically the same as before modifications. Only difference: huge boost in fuel efficiency. I am glad I live in a country where I have my personal choice, otherwise we could all be driving what the vocal minority and low-information government hacks want us to drive. Sorry, electric cars and smart cars are not for me. However, I will not condemn those who make that choice. And, I will not waste time schooling you on outdoor pursuits and the truth surrounding the tradition and the facts.
Teddy R

Mclean, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 22, 2013

Judged:

OzRitz wrote:
<quoted text>
No but I buy cars that can still perform and have a carbon offset built into their price for 3 yrs. The bike i reserve for recreation or a quick trip to the shop for milk or bread.
The days of these big SUV's and big a$$ trucks need to be gone and only have farmers & trades ppl being allowed to buy. Anyone living in the city should be banned from buying them. Not only are they a safety hazard they are also a hazard to other drivers because the type of person who buys them drive like idiots.
Bigot. Control freak. Get lost.

Move to China and save the planet where the carbon death is REALLY getting rolling.

They love self-righteous authoritarian control freaks like you. You could get yourself a commissariat on a People's Committee and really dictate people's lives and choices. You'll be much happier than in a free society.

“Let's X Change!!”

B4 HOPE Is Gone...

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 22, 2013

Judged:

OzRitz wrote:
<quoted text>
Who are you to tell people what they should or shouldn't drive based on mere opinions you have?
Hey....go bitch at the Chinese. I read in Forbes yesterday that GM (Government Motors) is looking forward to a big increase of SUV sales in China. True story. They are looking to edge out Ford to retake the lead in the highly profitable SUV and pick-up sectors.
My Perspective My Choice

Milan, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 22, 2013

OzRitz wrote:
<quoted text>
Oh... one more thing: I have a flex fuel vehicle (Chevrolet Tahoe) and I burn E85 ethanol, which is VERY clean and VERY renewable. Is that vehicle OK? I am also glad you mentioned farmers in your opinion on who should and should not be able to buy bigger vehicles. I have a large farm! Guess I'll be able to keep my SUV and big a$$ tucks if Big Brother ever decides who drives what.
Retired Farmer

Greenville, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 22, 2013

OzRitz wrote:
<quoted text>
I've been swapping hunting and fishing trips with a friend from South Dakota that I met at a Farm Bureau convention almost 30 years ago. I drive up in my dinky little 4 cylinder Ford Ranger with a second hand camper shell on the back. No "toy hauler" behind it and on ATV. We either walk or ride horses out to the hunt. Almost never fail to get game. When my buddy comes down to fish, we take my 30 year old aluminum boat with a 35 hp motor. Never fail to get fish.

We see city guys come out with their big rigs, trailers, campers, ATVs -- they look like a mechanized infantry platoon on the move. More times than not leave a trail of torn up landscape behind them. Same when they come down this way to Kentucky Lake and Lake Barkley with their boats the size of a Navy landing craft. Their bass boats have more sonar gear than a World War II destroyer. They're not outdoorsmen; they're just pretenders who bring their big, expensive toys into the wilds to play, do their damage, and then go home.
My Perspective My Choice

Milan, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 22, 2013

Retired Farmer wrote:
<quoted text>
I've been swapping hunting and fishing trips with a friend from South Dakota that I met at a Farm Bureau convention almost 30 years ago. I drive up in my dinky little 4 cylinder Ford Ranger with a second hand camper shell on the back. No "toy hauler" behind it and on ATV. We either walk or ride horses out to the hunt. Almost never fail to get game. When my buddy comes down to fish, we take my 30 year old aluminum boat with a 35 hp motor. Never fail to get fish.
We see city guys come out with their big rigs, trailers, campers, ATVs -- they look like a mechanized infantry platoon on the move. More times than not leave a trail of torn up landscape behind them. Same when they come down this way to Kentucky Lake and Lake Barkley with their boats the size of a Navy landing craft. Their bass boats have more sonar gear than a World War II destroyer. They're not outdoorsmen; they're just pretenders who bring their big, expensive toys into the wilds to play, do their damage, and then go home.
From one farmer to another, I am sorry to hear you have been effected by the minority. I used to hunt like you do with similar equipment: a Chevy CD10. Now, I opt for my method of travel, skip hotels, and live on the road for weeks. I always leave nature as I found it, as do most hunters, fisherman, and campers. Recommendation for taking action on those folks tearing things up: get license tag #'s and take some pictures. Game protectors where I am from take care of business when they have leads. As for me... I'm not one of them. Never have been, never will be. Thanks for bringing this up so I could comment. Final note: I fish from a fishing canoe when not on shore or wading in. Love it.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 22, 2013

Retired Farmer wrote:
<quoted text>
Thank you, weekend cowboys are just that "cowboys" & treat the wilderness they get pleasure from like a theme park and clash with their environment rather than blend.
If you really had a need for such rigs then join the army.
How many "mums & dads" have reversed over their kids or the kid next door for the pleasure of owning a big SUV. They have too high centre of gravity and basically unsafe because technology makes you think you are driving a sports car as it compensates for body roll. There is no need for these as run arounds in the city.

“Let's X Change!!”

B4 HOPE Is Gone...

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 22, 2013

OzRitz wrote:
<quoted text>
Thank you, weekend cowboys are just that "cowboys" & treat the wilderness they get pleasure from like a theme park and clash with their environment rather than blend.
If you really had a need for such rigs then join the army.
How many "mums & dads" have reversed over their kids or the kid next door for the pleasure of owning a big SUV. They have too high centre of gravity and basically unsafe because technology makes you think you are driving a sports car as it compensates for body roll. There is no need for these as run arounds in the city.
maybe "mums and dads" with large families like the added room for those weekend getaways with the family. maybe "mums and dads" like the seating capacity for carpooling the soccer team. maybe it's not your business what other people choose to drive, just as it's not my business to tell a woman what she can or can't do with her body!

btw.....my SUV's have rear view camera's built right in the navi console. They're great. People should be more careful and slow down when and where children could be around in whatever vehicle they choose to drive.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 22, 2013

The US birth rate is dropping all the time, at the moment just under 2 per family. Any med size car would suffice. It will happen eventually, then the only ppl who could buy a larger vehicle is having a larger family than 4. It sounds scary to you freedom lovers, but Iraq has freedom too. 100's die every week. They need Saddam back more than ever or they are in permanent chaos. That's the price of freedom for some countries, a big foreign policy mistake there.

If you are going to get serious about addressing emissions then either get technology to find clean fuel source or cut back on current. Thats the only choice we have. Put the clothes hanging lines back, and forget the dryer. There are lots of things that can be done at a individual level to make a lot of difference. The first thing that needs to be done is tax gas so ppl will buy smaller. As for the Chinese buying SUV's they are just experiencing cars for the first time. So they will go through the American experience until the government says enough. They still have to go into a lottery to buy a car thou. But this is the Chinese dilemma they want to keep export trade imbalance going so they can't stop Ford or GM going there. So they will live with it for a while.

Since: Mar 09

Wichita, KS

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 23, 2013

Judged:

Did someone turn over a rock or what? Where did all these slobbering trollish denier liars come from?
My Perspective My Choice

Columbus, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 23, 2013

LMAO!! Remember the 70's when the zealots paraded around with signs saying "the end is near"? The only thing that has changed is that now those zealots have electronic media and internet. What our friend here is suggesting is more government regulation!! Sorry, we have enough! Suggesting more taxes? Sorry, we have enough. Cowboy? Guilty! However, your assertion that anyone with a big truck, an RV, or other outdoor recreational machines is destroying nature is lunacy. Yes, there are some idiots but the vast majority are contributing to conservation efforts (the cost of my out-of-state hunting licenses out west is pretty big!) It's like the people you claim to speak for... the clothes line and compact car crowd: I bet there are some of those who use their dryer and have an SUV as well! Note on fuel: The U.S. has a clean alternative for blending and reducing emissions; however we have legislators in the pockets of big oil fighting it and keeping foreign oil commerce alive and well!
SpaceBlues

Houston, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 23, 2013

Patriot AKA Bozo wrote:
Did someone turn over a rock or what? Where did all these slobbering trollish denier liars come from?
No.

They are the last graduates of the fossil fuel training class for topix.
SpaceBlues

Houston, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 23, 2013

Judged:

Patriot AKA Bozo wrote:
Correction: trolling for trollish.

They are the last graduates of the fossil fuel troll training class for topix.
SpaceBlues

Houston, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 23, 2013

Judged:

FYI: The public perception of a scientific consensus on AGW is a necessary element in public support for climate policy (Ding et al2011). However, there is a significant gap between public perception and reality, with 57% of the US public either disagreeing or unaware that scientists overwhelmingly agree that the earth is warming due to human activity (Pew 2012).

Contributing to this 'consensus gap' are campaigns designed to confuse the public about the level of agreement among climate scientists. In 1991, Western Fuels Association conducted a $510,000 campaign whose primary goal was to 'reposition global warming as theory (not fact)'. A key strategy involved constructing the impression of active scientific debate using dissenting scientists as spokesmen (Oreskes 2010). The situation is exacerbated by media treatment of the climate issue, where the normative practice of providing opposing sides with equal attention has allowed a vocal minority to have their views amplified (Boykoff and Boykoff 2004). While there are indications that the situation has improved in the UK and USA prestige press (Boykoff 2007), the UK tabloid press showed no indication of improvement from 2000 to 2006 (Boykoff and Mansfield 2008).

The narrative presented by some dissenters is that the scientific consensus is '...on the point of collapse'(Oddie 2012) while '...the number of scientific "heretics" is growing with each passing year'(Allègre et al2012). A systematic, comprehensive review of the literature provides quantitative evidence countering this assertion. The number of papers rejecting AGW is a miniscule proportion of the published research, with the percentage slightly decreasing over time. Among papers expressing a position on AGW, an overwhelming percentage (97.2% based on self-ratings, 97.1% based on abstract ratings) endorses the scientific consensus on AGW.

“So long to you, Righties”

Since: Jan 12

keep suckin' and whiffin'!

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 23, 2013

Judged:

TrollingBot wrote:
<quoted text>
I said I'm a troll.....just ignore me!! You all need to be flagging trolls like me until Topix lets you killfile the scum!
Another tediously juvenile and inane troll, sadly...

“So long to you, Righties”

Since: Jan 12

keep suckin' and whiffin'!

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 23, 2013

Judged:

My Perspective My Choice wrote:
LMAO!! Remember the 70's when the zealots paraded around with signs saying "the end is near"? The only thing that has changed is that now those zealots have electronic media and internet..EDITED.....
Yeah, and today we call them "Tea Partiers" or just "Republicans."

;)

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 34,061 - 34,080 of45,601
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

40 Users are viewing the Chicago Forum right now

Search the Chicago Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 8 min woodtick57 1,073,239
Ill. House Approves Legalizing Same-Sex Civil U... (Dec '10) 41 min Norton 48,701
This is a great ad. 1 hr Harold B Alls 1
BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting... (Jan '09) 2 hr Rogue Scholar 05 173,779
Israeli troops begin Gaza pullout as Hamas decl... (Jan '09) 5 hr voice of peace 67,553
A kid-friendly guide to the Windy City 5 hr Tgloaded 1
Abby July 12 6 hr Julie 5
•••
•••
•••
•••

Chicago Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••

Chicago People Search