Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds up, leaving litt...

Full story: Newsday

When Bill Clinton took office in 1993, global warming was a slow-moving environmental problem that was easy to ignore.
Comments
33,821 - 33,840 of 46,390 Comments Last updated 2 hrs ago

“Let's X Change!!”

Since: Feb 09

B4 HOPE Is Gone...

#35872 May 15, 2013
Patriot AKA Bozo wrote:
<quoted text>
If you remember, the japanese did as much back in the late 80'3 and early 90's and it didn't turn out very good for them. There are a lot of things to consider.
good observation, and i agree.
litesong

Everett, WA

#35873 May 15, 2013
OzRitz wrote:
(Quality systems ) & they adopted it on a grand scale. Now with stiff competition even that has slipped sometimes. Toyota is an example of that.
In truth, Toyota's slip in quality came when the recession hit. People's desire for large inefficient vehicles came to an abrupt end. Within months overall truck sales collapsed 20%. Big truck sales like Ford F-150, 250, 350 & Chevy Silverado dumped 40%. Even economy vehicle sales dumped 10+%. A few brands sold well, like Hyundai cars & their 100,000 mile warranties & Honda Fits sold OK. Toyota Prius sales leaped 30-40%! Trying to fill demand, Toyota had to twist itself into a pretzel, with new hires & old hands overworked.

Since: Jul 11

Location hidden

#35874 May 15, 2013
The other observation about China you will notice they never invent anything on their own. It's either a copy or an improvement on a product that had its origins in the West. That's also born out of a political system that suppresses free thinking & innovation. So no Steve Jobs for them, they just copy his ideas. Same as the state sponsored cyber attacks on Western companies all over the world fishing for anything that would give them the edge. However they can re-engineer an idea and improve on it they sure have that capability. 2015 is not that far off for those who signed The Kyoto protocol. In my view it would have been smarter for the USA to have signed and both China and India could have been isolated and controlled a lot more. It's a bit late now once the horse has bolted.
SpaceBlues

Houston, TX

#35875 May 15, 2013
gcaveman1 wrote:
<quoted text>
OK,.., we still basically have the same genes, culture, and habits that we have had for a million years. We are all still hunter-gatherers, but we have books and architecture, jets and machine guns now. A lot of times, our modern pretensions run hard up against our Stone Age attitude. The caveman wins a lot of the time.
Gee, caveman won!
..?
I'm reading this:

Under what circumstances should cultural tradition be emphasized over individual experience plus genetic transmission? The answer depends upon two interacting factors: how the environment is changing and the economics of information acquisition and transmission.

http://www.des.ucdavis.edu/faculty/Richerson/...
LessHypeMoreFact

Toronto, Canada

#35876 May 15, 2013
Patriot AKA Bozo wrote:
<quoted text>
If you remember, the japanese did as much back in the late 80'3 and early 90's and it didn't turn out very good for them. There are a lot of things to consider.
China is barely governable. They have TOO MANY people and no unifying cause. Torn between communism (really party oligarchy) and US style capitalism (really an oligarchy of money, aka plutocracy) they are not united. Their are many poor farmers and a few well off capitalists, along with the wage slaves they own. I will be surprised if they can turn outward without collapsing internally.
litesong

Everett, WA

#35877 May 15, 2013
OzRitz wrote:
The Kyoto protocol. In my view it would have been smarter for the USA to have signed and both China and India could have been isolated and controlled a lot more.
Nah! Nixon never should have opened relations with chinese communists(ALWAYS SMALL LETTERS), who murdered, tortured, & starved to death, 100 million of their own BROTHERS, SISTERS, CHILDREN, & BABIES, to wrap bonds of dictatorship on CHINESE CITIZENS. Reagan should never have sold spare military parts to chinese communists(ALWAYS SMALL LETTERS). Pres. Bush should never have opened economic doors to chinese communists(ALWAYS SMALL LETTERS).

Giving money to chinese communists(ALWAYS SMALL LETTERS) for their poor products, is twice as bad as giving money to Hitler & Stalin, combined.
LessHypeMoreFact

Toronto, Canada

#35878 May 15, 2013
OzRitz wrote:
The other observation about China you will notice they never invent anything on their own. It's either a copy or an improvement on a product that had its origins in the West.
Totally bogus. Much of what is known in the EU and which was then passed on to the West came from China, India, and the Middle East, NOT the Renaissance. In fact, the main driver behind the was discovering and importing the inventions of the far east (i.e gunpowder, paper, rockets, silk, ceramics, etc)
OzRitz wrote:
That's also born out of a political system that suppresses free thinking & innovation.
How ludicrous. You ARE talking about the US aren't you?
OzRitz wrote:
So no Steve Jobs for them, they just copy his ideas.
Now THAT is hilarious. Really. All Steve jobs did was steal ideas from HP (Palo Alto Research) which was being suppressed by HP! HP was a corporation that had gotten too big to innovate, just as most of the current 'big corporations' are that have taken over in the US. They steal OTHER peoples ideas and then retail them (they do have the market dominance). Just look at Microsoft. How many ideas did they steal off competitors and then drive the competition out by legal tricks and dirty deals?
OzRitz wrote:
Same as the state sponsored cyber attacks on Western companies all over the world fishing for anything that would give them the edge.
Yah. Now there you have them. Like the Stuxnet virus that was so damaging.

Just a minute. Hmm. Wasn't that a collaboration between the US and Israel?? So what evidence of Chinese attacks have you? Oh, the US and Israel tell you it's true..

Nuff said. Go back to sleep.

Location hidden

#35879 May 15, 2013
SpaceBlues wrote:
<quoted text>I'm reading this:
Under what circumstances should cultural tradition be emphasized over individual experience plus genetic transmission? The answer depends upon two interacting factors: how the environment is changing and the economics of information acquisition and transmission.
http://www.des.ucdavis.edu/faculty/Richerson/...
In the Startrek world all cultures have the same respect. It makes no difference Black, White, Alien or Religion everyone has equal status in terms of respect. Humanity has evolved beyond the need for money, politics, poverty and wars against each other. There is a world government, a fantasy world that in Gene Roddenberry's mind evolved from the caveman but a long way off from reality.
SpaceBlues

Houston, TX

#35880 May 15, 2013
OzRitz wrote:
.. 2015 is not that far off for those who signed The Kyoto protocol. In my view it would have been smarter for the USA to have signed and both China and India could have been isolated and controlled a lot more. It's a bit late now once the horse has bolted.
Why didn't we think this way?
SpaceBlues

Houston, TX

#35881 May 15, 2013
OzRitz wrote:
<quoted text>
In the Startrek world all cultures have the same respect. It makes no difference Black, White, Alien or Religion everyone has equal status in terms of respect. Humanity has evolved beyond the need for money, politics, poverty and wars against each other. There is a world government, a fantasy world that in Gene Roddenberry's mind evolved from the caveman but a long way off from reality.
Fantasy supports reality.

Location hidden

#35882 May 15, 2013
LessHypeMoreFact wrote:
<quoted text>
Totally bogus. Much of what is known in the EU and which was then passed on to the West came from China, India, and the Middle East, NOT the Renaissance. In fact, the main driver behind the was discovering and importing the inventions of the far east (i.e gunpowder, paper, rockets, silk, ceramics, etc)
You are forgetting China was run by Chinese dynasties in that time, not a centralised communist government. Remember the Romans, the Egyptians, Ancient Persia , Ancient Greece all further advanced than us at that time so what happened that they are not still ruling the world.

Location hidden

#35884 May 15, 2013
LessHypeMoreFact wrote:
<quoted text>
How ludicrous. You ARE talking about the US aren't you?
<quoted text>
You obviously misread, I was talking about China. The political system suppresses free thinking but looks for excellence in a individual at the same time.
<quoted text>
Now THAT is hilarious. Really. All Steve jobs did was steal ideas from HP (Palo Alto Research) which was being suppressed by HP! HP was a corporation that had gotten too big to innovate, just as most of the current 'big corporations' are that have taken over in the US. They steal OTHER peoples ideas and then retail them (they do have the market dominance). Just look at Microsoft. How many ideas did they steal off competitors and then drive the competition out by legal tricks and dirty deals?
<quoted text>
That's free enterprise at work. Both Gates & Jobs saw a potential that others could not see. The same as Job's progression along the way. For instance Sony invented the tiny small hard drive used in the IPod and did not know what to do with it. Jobs saw the potential in that, which is one example of free thinking innovation. Disney didn't see as use for Pixar at the time either as it was mainly being used for commercials. Another example and of course there are failures as well.

<quoted text>
Yah. Now there you have them. Like the Stuxnet virus that was so damaging.
Just a minute. Hmm. Wasn't that a collaboration between the US and Israel?? So what evidence of Chinese attacks have you? Oh, the US and Israel tell you it's true..
Nuff said. Go back to sleep.
Well industrial control is my area of expertise and Stuxnet was pretty damn clever in making a few bumps in the road for Iran to get Nuked. If it wasn't for a clever German guy from Siemens they would have been still looking. But in my view that was a defensive cyber attack. The current Chinese cyber attacks are all offensive and would no doubt fit into a master plan. You might want to ask why a lot of Western countries have lots of caution with China's biggest teleco company Huawei they have been blocked from bidding on certain countries telco infrastructure. Including certain senstive structures in the US.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/technology/news/95...

Location hidden

#35885 May 16, 2013
Just a footnote on Chinese cyber abilities.
Remember the downed Stealth drone over Iran, well it wasn't shot down like they claimed, it was hacked and taken over. Who do you think was first on the scene to help reverse engineer it because the self destruct mechanisms did not work.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2013/feb/07/i...

Then 18 mths later we see this on a Chinese air field and like global warming everyone keeps saying we don't have to worry about yet. the same ppl keep saying the Chinese are still 10 yrs behind our tech expertise. Of course they are!

http://killerapps.foreignpolicy.com/posts/201...

Location hidden

#35886 May 16, 2013
SpaceBlues wrote:
<quoted text>Why didn't we think this way?
Because the Oil companies exert far too much influence on the government and Wall St. The whole economy is geared around them it would require a quantum leap.

“So long to you, Righties”

Since: Jan 12

keep suckin' and whiffin'!

#35887 May 16, 2013
ritedownthemiddle wrote:
<quoted text>you're the one that pretended to know so much about the state, son, just like you pretend to know about global warming.
Nowhere did I pretend to "know so much" about Mississippi, and noted that I'd never been there.

Oops! Caught lying again, you were...:)
LessHypeMoreFact

Toronto, Canada

#35888 May 16, 2013
OzRitz wrote:
<quoted text>
You are forgetting China was run by Chinese dynasties in that time, not a centralised communist government.
You are changing your argument. You specified China, NOT 'Communist China' and you have not shown that science papers (one measure of intellectual gains) are lower in China than the US. In fact, the US has dropped signficantly and China is now one of the big players in science and research, despite having most journals US based.

And could you tell me the difference between the current party oligarchy and the old party oligarchy (family dynasties)???
OzRitz wrote:
<quoted text>
Remember the Romans, the Egyptians, Ancient Persia , Ancient Greece all further advanced than us at that time so what happened that they are not still ruling the world.
They didn't want the hastle, I suspect. And the Middle East was booming in science for two reasons. One was the LACK of advance in EU and the other was retaining old Greek books. They did make some advances of their own, such as the ZERO in math, but really they had an earlier 'Rennaisance' and focussed this on developing their own art and literature.

Why do you measure the worth of a country by how many cultures it wishes to dominate? You are American?
LessHypeMoreFact

Toronto, Canada

#35889 May 16, 2013
OzRitz wrote:
<quoted text>
Because the Oil companies exert far too much influence on the government and Wall St. The whole economy is geared around them it would require a quantum leap.
It would require licensing lobbyists and keeping their numbers to a rational level. The 'open season' on politicians to bribes from industry funded lobby groups is the MAIN problem in US politics. Most others stem from that 'corporate influence'.

"Fascism should more properly be called corporatism because it is the merger of state and corporate power." - Benito Mussolini

See.
http://www.rense.com/general37/fascism.htm

1:Powerful and Continuing Nationalism
--- check
2:Disdain for the Recognition of Human Rights
--- see Guantanamo and Habeus Corpus being struck down.
3:Id of Enemies/Scapegoats as a Unifying Cause
--- Currently Arabs/Islam, Was communism and some still
... stick to their old favorites.
4:Supremacy of the Military:
--- check, More military spending and focus than the rest
... of the world
5:Rampant Sexism
--- pass on this. Some truth but ambiguous.
6:Controlled Mass Media
--- check. The media reports the government 'pravda'. It
... essentially never reports the facts as seen from the
... perspective of dissidents. The same right wing elite
... that own the government also own the media.
7:Obsession with National Security
--- and thus it creates enemies where none existed
8: Religion and Government are Intertwined
--- The separation of church and state has never been
... weaker. In fact, the right wing specifically try
... to claim Gods mandate.
9: Corporate Power is Protected
--- in fact, corporate power has been extended to
... all the rights of a citizen including unlimited
... political funding/lobbying/manipulation
10:Labor Power is Suppressed
--- thus the unending insults to those without money
... or power (i.e welfare ) even if they are hard
... working salaried employees struggling to make
... ends meet. If they get ahead by owning a house,
... encouraged by the government, the resulting
...'housing bubble' is blamed on their ambition!
... ONLY those with endless resources are blameless..
... even if their greed and recklessness CAUSED the
... problem.
11:Disdain for Intellectuals and the Arts
--- Thus the decline in STATE level university and
... schools as noted. Why worry about educating the
... masses when the elite can go to well funded
... private schools?
12:Obsession with Crime and Punishment
--- is it a coincidence that something like 3.2% of
... the US adult populaiton is in jail or on probation?
13: Rampant Cronyism and Corruption
--- Back rooms deals are the life blood of the US
... political system and the 'old boys net' ensures
... that cronyism is hidden behind the public facade
14: Fraudulent Elections
--- By international standards, the U.S. election are
... something of a joke, not binding, and rife with
... gerrymandering, counting fraud, and graveyard votes.
... With 'video voting' and no oversight, it is now
... possible to completely create a false vote.
... http://portland.indymedia.org/en/2003/07/2688...
... and yet nothing is done to ensure fair elections still.

“Let's X Change!!”

B4 HOPE Is Gone...

#35890 May 16, 2013
tha Professor wrote:
<quoted text>
Nowhere did I pretend to "know so much" about Mississippi, and noted that I'd never been there.
Oops! Caught lying again, you were...:)
yes, liar, you did pretend. you pretend so much that you lose track of reality it seems. lol

“So long to you, Righties”

Since: Jan 12

keep suckin' and whiffin'!

#35892 May 16, 2013
ritedownthemiddle wrote:
<quoted text>yes, liar, you did pretend. you pretend so much that you lose track of reality it seems. lol
Post it then, s--t-for-brains, or admit you're LYING. I'll wait.

“Let's X Change!!”

B4 HOPE Is Gone...

#35893 May 16, 2013
tha Professor wrote:
<quoted text>
Post it then, s--t-for-brains, or admit you're LYING. I'll wait.
lol...I'm sure you'll have no problem waiting, son. Getting drunk while sitting in front of your pc seems to be your thing.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Chicago Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 4 min j rocker 1,102,066
Sin City is in the Streets of Chicago. Where i... 2 hr Culture Auditor 1
Ill. House Approves Legalizing Same-Sex Civil U... (Dec '10) 2 hr well 49,521
BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting... (Jan '09) 2 hr LRS 177,549
Messianic Jews say they are persecuted in Israel (Jun '08) 3 hr J RULES 69,109
{keep A word drop A word} (Oct '11) 4 hr the wandering girl 4,681
Word (Dec '08) 5 hr andet1987 4,669
Topix Chitown Regulars (Aug '09) 10 hr RACE 97,985
•••
•••