Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds up, leaving litt...

Full story: Newsday

When Bill Clinton took office in 1993, global warming was a slow-moving environmental problem that was easy to ignore.
Comments
33,821 - 33,840 of 45,769 Comments Last updated 4 hrs ago

“So long to you, Righties”

Since: Jan 12

keep suckin' and whiffin'!

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 13, 2013

Judged:

Teddy R wrote:
<quoted text>
Actually, Teddy R hosts a bot that autonomously flags recidivist bandwidth-wasting topix trolls with nothing constructive to say, providing a canned response on the same level they've posted. Saves much time and trouble - one click and they're dispensed with no tribble at all.
Of course, a much more elegant solution would be for Topix themselves to provide users with select "killfile" functionality so such goobers and spam can simply be filtered out of the feed altogether, upgrading the Topix conversation quality radically, but until they pull their head out and provide this, users will have to provide their own kill-bots to take out the trash, I suppose.
Teddy's problem, though, apart from referring to himself in the third person, is that his supposed "bot" only attacks posts from the Global Warming side of the debate, despite the fact that Brian_G is the biggest troll on these threads and is a Denier.

Teddy appears to be disingenuous at best, and a lying troll himself at worst.

Now go ahead, Teddy's "bot," and call for a killfile for me...LOL
Retired Farmer

Cadiz, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 13, 2013

Judged:

The best overall story on climate change that I have read so far:

http://www.jewishjournal.com/marty_kaplan/art...
No Warming

Waverly, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 13, 2013

Judged:

Retired Farmer wrote:
The best overall story on climate change that I have read so far:
http://www.jewishjournal.com/marty_kaplan/art...
That's an example of the bias propaganda used, the U.S. could shut down everything today as if the nation vanished and Co2 levels would continue increase.

“Let's X Change!!”

Since: Feb 09

B4 HOPE Is Gone...

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 13, 2013

Judged:

tha Professor wrote:
<quoted text>
I don't happen to be from Mississippi, nor have I even visited there, smartass.
that much is obvious!! a candy ass like you wouldn't last long in them there parts.
gcaveman1

Louin, MS

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 13, 2013

Judged:

tha Professor wrote:
<quoted text>
I don't happen to be from Mississippi, nor have I even visited there, smartass.
Someone should inform koolaid that sarcasm works much better when it's accurate. LOL, he thought you from Mississippi!

And he thought we had parishes, like Louisiana. Someone should tell him that we just have regular ole counties, like most other people and Irish.

And I'm pretty sure he misspelled "noble" even though it could be a weak attempt at satire at the expense of a group of poor people.

In SCIENCE EDUCATION, My daughter won science and math awards and went to UA/Tuscaloosa on a scholarship. She had received invitations from MIT, Berkley, Texas A&M and a host of others, but wanted to stay in the South.

But we're white. And while we had it hard sometimes, we never were held down and robbed and made to feel less than human. Actually, we did quite well, my ex and I; Democrats, and each of us with our own businesses.

But Mississippi does have a festering sore called the Delta. Where the greatest bluesmen were born into the blues, where a hundred years before them, 20,000 black slaves had labored, choppin' cotton. Reconstruction didn't end the white man's rule there, either. The poverty there today is the result of the politics dating back to the antebellum, and it drags down the whole region. There's nothing wrong with the people of Mississippi except that they haven't figured out how to get rid of their backward and corrupt leaders.

Last word, please refrain from calling koolaid a "smartass"; you give him too much credit. If he were smart you might have a case, but he's only about halfway.
gcaveman1

Louin, MS

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 13, 2013

tha Professor wrote:
<quoted text>
Back again with more brilliant, mature insights I see. Evidence that "global warming has slowed down," please?
IT'S BACK!

Earthling has appropriated the "1" I use as my phonetic commentary, "Gee, caveman won!" as an ego boost for his tired old self, and now labels himself "Earthling won!"

Maybe he can't be original anymore. He IS getting on in years....
SpaceBlues

Houston, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 14, 2013

gcaveman1 wrote:
<quoted text>
IT'S BACK!
Earthling has appropriated the "1" I use as my phonetic commentary, "Gee, caveman won!" as an ego boost for his tired old self, and now labels himself "Earthling won!"
Maybe he can't be original anymore. He IS getting on in years....
Nice humor. I had wondered what was meant by your name.

Did it drop the minus (-)? I used to call it by that.

You are a winner but not the minus.
Dont drink the koolaid

Minneapolis, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 14, 2013

Judged:

"Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds up, leaving litt..."
Yes, according to a new study the rate of AGW, during the last 16 years, has been unpresedented...
http://icecap.us/images/uploads/IS_THE_COOLIN...
TrollBot

Mclean, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 14, 2013

Judged:

tha Professor wrote:
<quoted text>

(Another tediously juvenile and inane troll snipped)
Troll. Ignore.

"Flagging trolls until Topix lets you killfile the scum."
SpaceBlues

Houston, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 14, 2013

Dont drink the koolaid wrote:
"Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds up, leaving litt..."
Climate Tipping Point? Concentration of Carbon Dioxide Tops 400 ppm for First Time in Human History

http://www.democracynow.org/2013/5/13/climate...

"We have to go several million years back in time to find a point in Earthís history where CO2 was as high as it is now.... If we continue to burn fossil fuels at accelerating rates, if we continue with business as usual, we will cross the 450 parts per million limit in a matter of maybe a couple of decades. With that amount of CO2 in the atmosphere, we commit to what could truly be described as dangerous and irreversible changes in our climate." [Dr Michael Mann]
Retired Farmer

Cadiz, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 14, 2013

Judged:

SpaceBlues wrote:
<quoted text>Climate Tipping Point? Concentration of Carbon Dioxide Tops 400 ppm for First Time in Human History
http://www.democracynow.org/2013/5/13/climate...
"We have to go several million years back in time to find a point in Earthís history where CO2 was as high as it is now.... If we continue to burn fossil fuels at accelerating rates, if we continue with business as usual, we will cross the 450 parts per million limit in a matter of maybe a couple of decades. With that amount of CO2 in the atmosphere, we commit to what could truly be described as dangerous and irreversible changes in our climate." [Dr Michael Mann]
You make a good argument that any science-minded person can appreciate. However, it will not fly with the people who deny that increased CO2 will cause the climate to warm. It will made no headway with the "warming is good" crowd either. Both groups are going to have to see the Mississippi Delta disappear under the Gulf and the Great Plains turn into desert before their ideology is shaken. Even that won't shake the crowd whose beliefs about climate change are based in religious beliefs. They will just attribute the disasters to the Tribulations in the End Times. They don't care about what the earth will be like for future generations because they don't believe that there will be any future generations.
SpaceBlues

Houston, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 14, 2013

Retired Farmer wrote:
<quoted text>
You make a good argument that any science-minded person can appreciate. However, it will not fly with the people who deny that increased CO2 will cause the climate to warm. It will made no headway with the "warming is good" crowd either. Both groups are going to have to see the Mississippi Delta disappear under the Gulf and the Great Plains turn into desert before their ideology is shaken. Even that won't shake the crowd whose beliefs about climate change are based in religious beliefs. They will just attribute the disasters to the Tribulations in the End Times. They don't care about what the earth will be like for future generations because they don't believe that there will be any future generations.
A dying breed.

Give it another five years to cease and desist. They won't recognize their own progeny.

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 14, 2013

No Warming wrote:
<quoted text>
That's an example of the bias propaganda used, the U.S. could shut down everything today as if the nation vanished and Co2 levels would continue increase.
Any basis whatsoever for that claim?

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 14, 2013

Judged:

TrollBot wrote:
<quoted text>(Another tediously juvenile and inane troll snipped)
Troll. Ignore.

"Flagging trolls until Topix lets you killfile the scum."

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 14, 2013

ritedownthemiddle wrote:
<quoted text>that much is obvious!! a candy ass like you wouldn't last long in them there parts.
Butch types more popular down there, you think? Is that why you visit so often?:)
Retired Farmer

Cadiz, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 14, 2013

Judged:

SpaceBlues wrote:
<quoted text>A dying breed.
Give it another five years to cease and desist. They won't recognize their own progeny.
I'd say more like 15-25 years, if then. The religious part is too deeply engrained in the 50 and over generation for them to ever change it. There is also a "question mark" generation of kids coming on - white, lower middle class but who think that they are upper class, home schooled or educated in small private church-run academies that do not teach any science that conflicts with the Christian Right's fundamentalist beliefs.
SpaceBlues

Houston, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 14, 2013

Judged:

Retired Farmer wrote:
<quoted text>
I'd say more like 15-25 years, if then. The religious part is too deeply engrained in the 50 and over generation for them to ever change it. There is also a "question mark" generation of kids coming on - white, lower middle class but who think that they are upper class, home schooled or educated in small private church-run academies that do not teach any science that conflicts with the Christian Right's fundamentalist beliefs.
Well, you are right in that they won't disappear entirely. Look at kkk etc that never disappears.

However, they will become less and less .. It's inevitable in the information age.
SpaceBlues

Houston, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 14, 2013

Judged:

tha Professor wrote:
<quoted text>To another:

Any basis whatsoever for that claim?
Of course not. It was a bold lie.

“Let's X Change!!”

Since: Feb 09

B4 HOPE Is Gone...

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 14, 2013

Judged:

tha Professor wrote:
<quoted text>
Butch types more popular down there, you think? Is that why you visit so often?:)
you're the one that pretended to know so much about the state, son, just like you pretend to know about global warming.
Retired Farmer

Cadiz, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 14, 2013

SpaceBlues wrote:
<quoted text>Well, you are right in that they won't disappear entirely. Look at kkk etc that never disappears.
However, they will become less and less .. It's inevitable in the information age.
I'm not so sure. The "information age" is a two edged sword. It can be used to spread misinformation or disinformation just as easily as it spreads real information. If some popular televangelist takes up the "environmentalism is the new pagan nature worship" and "global warming is Satan's lie" idea where Jerry Falwell left off it will filter down to the local pulpit.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

41 Users are viewing the Chicago Forum right now

Search the Chicago Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
Israeli troops begin Gaza pullout as Hamas decl... (Jan '09) 1 hr danetoo 67,897
Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 2 hr THE DEVIL 1,079,017
Obama Gives Trillions for Wall Street, Not a Di... 2 hr Pete 11
Cheap Tomatoes 3 hr KidsWillSellTomatoesCHEAP 3
demo-crats are the root of violent crime in chi... 3 hr yamimi 5
Our Cities Will Burn Because We Didnít Protect ... 3 hr Why 2
This Jew Canít Support Israel 3 hr Why 3
BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting... (Jan '09) 7 hr Guy 174,508
•••

Beach Hazards Statement for Cook County was issued at July 24 at 3:20AM CDT

•••
•••
•••