Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds up, leaving litt...

Full story: Newsday 47,496
When Bill Clinton took office in 1993, global warming was a slow-moving environmental problem that was easy to ignore. Full Story

“Let's X Change!!”

Since: Feb 09

B4 HOPE Is Gone...

#35831 May 13, 2013
tha Professor wrote:
<quoted text>
I don't happen to be from Mississippi, nor have I even visited there, smartass.
that much is obvious!! a candy ass like you wouldn't last long in them there parts.
gcaveman1

Bay Springs, MS

#35832 May 13, 2013
tha Professor wrote:
<quoted text>
I don't happen to be from Mississippi, nor have I even visited there, smartass.
Someone should inform koolaid that sarcasm works much better when it's accurate. LOL, he thought you from Mississippi!

And he thought we had parishes, like Louisiana. Someone should tell him that we just have regular ole counties, like most other people and Irish.

And I'm pretty sure he misspelled "noble" even though it could be a weak attempt at satire at the expense of a group of poor people.

In SCIENCE EDUCATION, My daughter won science and math awards and went to UA/Tuscaloosa on a scholarship. She had received invitations from MIT, Berkley, Texas A&M and a host of others, but wanted to stay in the South.

But we're white. And while we had it hard sometimes, we never were held down and robbed and made to feel less than human. Actually, we did quite well, my ex and I; Democrats, and each of us with our own businesses.

But Mississippi does have a festering sore called the Delta. Where the greatest bluesmen were born into the blues, where a hundred years before them, 20,000 black slaves had labored, choppin' cotton. Reconstruction didn't end the white man's rule there, either. The poverty there today is the result of the politics dating back to the antebellum, and it drags down the whole region. There's nothing wrong with the people of Mississippi except that they haven't figured out how to get rid of their backward and corrupt leaders.

Last word, please refrain from calling koolaid a "smartass"; you give him too much credit. If he were smart you might have a case, but he's only about halfway.
gcaveman1

Bay Springs, MS

#35833 May 13, 2013
tha Professor wrote:
<quoted text>
Back again with more brilliant, mature insights I see. Evidence that "global warming has slowed down," please?
IT'S BACK!

Earthling has appropriated the "1" I use as my phonetic commentary, "Gee, caveman won!" as an ego boost for his tired old self, and now labels himself "Earthling won!"

Maybe he can't be original anymore. He IS getting on in years....
SpaceBlues

Houston, TX

#35834 May 14, 2013
gcaveman1 wrote:
<quoted text>
IT'S BACK!
Earthling has appropriated the "1" I use as my phonetic commentary, "Gee, caveman won!" as an ego boost for his tired old self, and now labels himself "Earthling won!"
Maybe he can't be original anymore. He IS getting on in years....
Nice humor. I had wondered what was meant by your name.

Did it drop the minus (-)? I used to call it by that.

You are a winner but not the minus.
Dont drink the koolaid

Minneapolis, MN

#35835 May 14, 2013
"Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds up, leaving litt..."
Yes, according to a new study the rate of AGW, during the last 16 years, has been unpresedented...
http://icecap.us/images/uploads/IS_THE_COOLIN...
TrollBot

Mclean, VA

#35836 May 14, 2013
tha Professor wrote:
<quoted text>

(Another tediously juvenile and inane troll snipped)
Troll. Ignore.

"Flagging trolls until Topix lets you killfile the scum."
SpaceBlues

Houston, TX

#35837 May 14, 2013
Dont drink the koolaid wrote:
"Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds up, leaving litt..."
Climate Tipping Point? Concentration of Carbon Dioxide Tops 400 ppm for First Time in Human History

http://www.democracynow.org/2013/5/13/climate...

"We have to go several million years back in time to find a point in Earth’s history where CO2 was as high as it is now.... If we continue to burn fossil fuels at accelerating rates, if we continue with business as usual, we will cross the 450 parts per million limit in a matter of maybe a couple of decades. With that amount of CO2 in the atmosphere, we commit to what could truly be described as dangerous and irreversible changes in our climate." [Dr Michael Mann]
Retired Farmer

Kuttawa, KY

#35838 May 14, 2013
SpaceBlues wrote:
<quoted text>Climate Tipping Point? Concentration of Carbon Dioxide Tops 400 ppm for First Time in Human History
http://www.democracynow.org/2013/5/13/climate...
"We have to go several million years back in time to find a point in Earth’s history where CO2 was as high as it is now.... If we continue to burn fossil fuels at accelerating rates, if we continue with business as usual, we will cross the 450 parts per million limit in a matter of maybe a couple of decades. With that amount of CO2 in the atmosphere, we commit to what could truly be described as dangerous and irreversible changes in our climate." [Dr Michael Mann]
You make a good argument that any science-minded person can appreciate. However, it will not fly with the people who deny that increased CO2 will cause the climate to warm. It will made no headway with the "warming is good" crowd either. Both groups are going to have to see the Mississippi Delta disappear under the Gulf and the Great Plains turn into desert before their ideology is shaken. Even that won't shake the crowd whose beliefs about climate change are based in religious beliefs. They will just attribute the disasters to the Tribulations in the End Times. They don't care about what the earth will be like for future generations because they don't believe that there will be any future generations.
SpaceBlues

Houston, TX

#35839 May 14, 2013
Retired Farmer wrote:
<quoted text>
You make a good argument that any science-minded person can appreciate. However, it will not fly with the people who deny that increased CO2 will cause the climate to warm. It will made no headway with the "warming is good" crowd either. Both groups are going to have to see the Mississippi Delta disappear under the Gulf and the Great Plains turn into desert before their ideology is shaken. Even that won't shake the crowd whose beliefs about climate change are based in religious beliefs. They will just attribute the disasters to the Tribulations in the End Times. They don't care about what the earth will be like for future generations because they don't believe that there will be any future generations.
A dying breed.

Give it another five years to cease and desist. They won't recognize their own progeny.

“Science not Conservatism”

Since: Jan 12

Progress, not Denial

#35840 May 14, 2013
No Warming wrote:
<quoted text>
That's an example of the bias propaganda used, the U.S. could shut down everything today as if the nation vanished and Co2 levels would continue increase.
Any basis whatsoever for that claim?

Progress, not Denial

#35841 May 14, 2013
TrollBot wrote:
<quoted text>(Another tediously juvenile and inane troll snipped)
Troll. Ignore.

"Flagging trolls until Topix lets you killfile the scum."

Progress, not Denial

#35842 May 14, 2013
ritedownthemiddle wrote:
<quoted text>that much is obvious!! a candy ass like you wouldn't last long in them there parts.
Butch types more popular down there, you think? Is that why you visit so often?:)
Retired Farmer

Kuttawa, KY

#35843 May 14, 2013
SpaceBlues wrote:
<quoted text>A dying breed.
Give it another five years to cease and desist. They won't recognize their own progeny.
I'd say more like 15-25 years, if then. The religious part is too deeply engrained in the 50 and over generation for them to ever change it. There is also a "question mark" generation of kids coming on - white, lower middle class but who think that they are upper class, home schooled or educated in small private church-run academies that do not teach any science that conflicts with the Christian Right's fundamentalist beliefs.
SpaceBlues

Houston, TX

#35844 May 14, 2013
Retired Farmer wrote:
<quoted text>
I'd say more like 15-25 years, if then. The religious part is too deeply engrained in the 50 and over generation for them to ever change it. There is also a "question mark" generation of kids coming on - white, lower middle class but who think that they are upper class, home schooled or educated in small private church-run academies that do not teach any science that conflicts with the Christian Right's fundamentalist beliefs.
Well, you are right in that they won't disappear entirely. Look at kkk etc that never disappears.

However, they will become less and less .. It's inevitable in the information age.
SpaceBlues

Houston, TX

#35845 May 14, 2013
tha Professor wrote:
<quoted text>To another:

Of course not. It was a bold lie.

“Let's X Change!!”

Since: Feb 09

B4 HOPE Is Gone...

#35846 May 14, 2013
tha Professor wrote:
<quoted text>
Butch types more popular down there, you think? Is that why you visit so often?:)
you're the one that pretended to know so much about the state, son, just like you pretend to know about global warming.
Retired Farmer

Kuttawa, KY

#35847 May 14, 2013
SpaceBlues wrote:
<quoted text>Well, you are right in that they won't disappear entirely. Look at kkk etc that never disappears.
However, they will become less and less .. It's inevitable in the information age.
I'm not so sure. The "information age" is a two edged sword. It can be used to spread misinformation or disinformation just as easily as it spreads real information. If some popular televangelist takes up the "environmentalism is the new pagan nature worship" and "global warming is Satan's lie" idea where Jerry Falwell left off it will filter down to the local pulpit.
litesong

Everett, WA

#35848 May 14, 2013
Fair Game wrote:
Just like the decline in Arctic sea ice slowed down, and the rate of sea level rise slowed down.
Deniers never tire of being wrong.
You forgot to mention when toxic topix AGW deniers erroneously said the stratosphere started warming........
No Warming

Waverly, OH

#35849 May 14, 2013
tha Professor wrote:
<quoted text>
The IPCC goal is a 25% to 40% reduction of emissions, not from todays level but from 1990 levels. Read this link and you'll see the U.S. was responsible for 16% of the 2011 total so you still have a long way to go.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/07/19/us-...

Since: Jul 11

Location hidden

#35850 May 14, 2013
Retired Farmer wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm not so sure. The "information age" is a two edged sword. It can be used to spread misinformation or disinformation just as easily as it spreads real information. If some popular televangelist takes up the "environmentalism is the new pagan nature worship" and "global warming is Satan's lie" idea where Jerry Falwell left off it will filter down to the local pulpit.
I agree, in some ways when you are flooded with info its the same as no info at all. A fad can spring up from no-where and disappear just as quickly. I was one that believed Facebook was only going to have a short life once it was listed. The reason because its economic model has to generate so much revenue from each user to succeed and it is never going to happen. So another 5 yrs max for that, then you have print media disappearing and along with that high quality journalism. What we might end up with is bloggers and Chinese whispers giving us information which in some sense is driving the deniers as it is now. We never want to get to the point where high quality investigative journalism cannot be afforded by any media organisation otherwise there will be no more Watergate's or anything else. If you want to know how long the print media has, then look around at your children. How many get a paper every day or once a week or how many get a magazine once a month. It's a no brainer, once the gen Y is dominating the population the will be no print media!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Chicago Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 11 min Agents of Corruption 1,126,694
Ill. House Approves Legalizing Same-Sex Civil U... (Dec '10) 30 min mahz 50,620
BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting... (Jan '09) 2 hr Sgt Prepper 179,386
Mrs. Bush: History will vindicate her husband (Jun '08) 2 hr Just Saying 54,525
Perfect for Halloween 2 hr Harem 1
Obama Gives Trillions for Wall Street, Not a Di... 4 hr Godly 18
Topix is owned by Americans! 4 hr He who knows 1
Chicago Dating
Find my Match

Chicago Jobs

Chicago People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Chicago News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Chicago

Personal Finance