Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds up, leaving litt...

Full story: Newsday

When Bill Clinton took office in 1993, global warming was a slow-moving environmental problem that was easy to ignore.
Comments
33,721 - 33,740 of 46,261 Comments Last updated 45 min ago

Since: Jul 11

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 11, 2013

Dont drink the koolaid wrote:
<quoted text>
As a fellow plow jockey, we can appreciate CO2 at 500ppm. Double that and less water is required for the same yield. So with the increased population, we can only hope for higher levels. Yes we are pulling away from the dangerously low levels of our past.
So I guess you are quite ok for your kids children to perhaps be walking around with an oxygen mask just so you can keep driving that big a$$ truck or do you think man will evolve and grow gills. When Corporate America moved to Asia looking for big profits there was a large price to pay for that. Not with standing almost a million new cars a month being added to emissions in China alone up until 2010. Now they have to go in a lottery draw to buy a new car. Imagine that happening in the US, your lot would be screaming the loudest.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/environment/interac...
Bob Burns

Kunming, China

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 11, 2013

Judged:

SpaceBlues wrote:
<quoted text>Say what? Read to learn:
400 ppm May 10, 2013 : 10:25 AM
Yesterday, for the first time in human history, concentrations of carbon dioxide, the primary global warming pollutant, hit 400 parts per million in our planet's atmosphere. This number is a reminder that for the last 150 years -- and especially over the last several decades -- we have been recklessly polluting the protective sheath of atmosphere that surrounds the Earth and protects the conditions that have fostered the flourishing of our civilization. We are altering the composition of our atmosphere at an unprecedented rate. Indeed, every single day we pour an additional 90 million tons of global warming pollution into the sky as if it were an open sewer. As the distinguished climate scientist Jim Hansen has calculated, the accumulated manmade global warming pollution in the atmosphere now traps enough extra heat energy each day to equal the energy that would be released by 400,000 Hiroshima-scale atomic bombs exploding every single day. It's a big planet -- but that is a LOT of energy. And it is having a destructive effect.
Now, more than ever before, we are reaping the consequences of our recklessness. From Superstorm Sandy which crippled New York City and large areas of New Jersey, to a drought which parched more than half of our nation; from a flood that inundated large swaths of Australia to rising seas affecting millions around the world, the reality of the climate crisis is upon us.
Our food systems, our cities, our people and our very way of life developed within a stable range of climatic conditions on Earth. Without immediate and decisive action, these favorable conditions on Earth could become a memory if we continue to make the climate crisis worse day after day after day.
With any great challenge comes great opportunity. We have the rare privilege to rise to an occasion of global magnitude. To do so, our communities, our businesses, our universities, and our governments need to work in harmony to stop the climate crisis. We must summon the very best of the human spirit and draw on our courage, our ingenuity, our intellect, and our determination to confront this crisis. Make no mistake, this crisis will demand no less than our very best. I am optimistic because we have risen to meet the greatest challenges of our past.
So please, take this day and the milestone it represents to reflect on the fragility of our civilization and and the planetary ecosystem on which it depends. Rededicate yourself to the task of saving our future. Talk to your neighbors, call your legislator, let your voice be heard. We must take immediate action to solve this crisis. Not tomorrow, not next week, not next year. Now.
Hmmm. CO2 at record levels, yet no warming for the last 16 years. That proves CO2 has no warming effect
Retired Farmer

Kuttawa, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 11, 2013

Judged:

OzRitz wrote:
<quoted text>
So I guess you are quite ok for your kids children to perhaps be walking around with an oxygen mask...
That will not happen and saying so only plays into the hands of the deniers and the "more CO2 is good" crowd.

What we do have to worry about is the effects that doubling the amount of CO2 in the atmosphere will have on the climate. In case nobody noticed, the amount of ice in the Arctic has become less and less over the last few decades. In a few more decades the Arctic may become totally free of ice in summer. Nobody really knows what the effect of an iceless Artic might have on weather patterns in the Northern hemisphere. Just a small reduction in precipitation could turn the Great Plains, America's breadbasket, into the Great American Desert. If you don't think it could be a desert, just look at the geology of the Nebraska Sand Hills region. Those grassy hills were once sand dunes. Alternatively we could see great swings: droughts that last for years or decades and then years of decades of abnormally high rainfall and flooding. Either result would devastate food production.
gcaveman1

Bay Springs, MS

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 11, 2013

Judged:

Teddy R wrote:
<quoted text>
My, we are lazy, aren't we?
http://lmgtfy.com/...
8 hours?

Three pages?
gcaveman1

Bay Springs, MS

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 11, 2013

Brian_G wrote:
<quoted text>If you do a google search for the quote above, you won't find my name on that post. Gcaveman made a mistake, there's a difference between all the CO2 in the air and our meager contributions.
Alarmists accuse their opponents of lying, I accuse them of making mistakes; this is where we differ.
No, LIAR, let me show you what you wrote:

"Using fossil fuel helps free ancient carbon back into the atmosphere where it can do some good. Freeing carbon dioxide into the air helps mitigate climate change against global cooling; the well known ice age climate scenario.
We've always adapted to climate change. Don't panic."

This is what you said. You didn't say "if"; you didn't say "maybe".

You know the effects of CO2. But you LIE.

I know you lie because I copied this from your original post to a file on my laptop so I can grab it all the time. I grabbed it from under the name Brian_G. Is that you, or are you going to lie about that as well?

We differ a-plenty, you unmitigated idiot, but you make mistakes AND lie!

Since: Jul 11

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 11, 2013

Retired Farmer wrote:
<quoted text>
That will not happen and saying so only plays into the hands of the deniers and the "more CO2 is good" crowd.
What we do have to worry about is the effects that doubling the amount of CO2 in the atmosphere will have on the climate. In case nobody noticed, the amount of ice in the Arctic has become less and less over the last few decades. In a few more decades the Arctic may become totally free of ice in summer. Nobody really knows what the effect of an iceless Artic might have on weather patterns in the Northern hemisphere. Just a small reduction in precipitation could turn the Great Plains, America's breadbasket, into the Great American Desert. If you don't think it could be a desert, just look at the geology of the Nebraska Sand Hills region. Those grassy hills were once sand dunes. Alternatively we could see great swings: droughts that last for years or decades and then years of decades of abnormally high rainfall and flooding. Either result would devastate food production.
Yes I know but those denier responses with outlandish statements about wanting proof then making a claim to be exactly the opposite of fact. Sometimes they deserve to get the same sort of response back. The real threat is unreliable food bowl production and also the farmers having the resilience to handle those peaks and troughs. Sooner or later that will need a lot more than a bankers bail out.
litesong

Everett, WA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 11, 2013

Retired Farmer wrote:
....... the amount of ice in the Arctic has become less and less over the last few decades.
2012 Arctic sea ice monthly volumes during a large number of months have been ~10,000 cubic kms less than the 1980-1989 average, each gram representing ~80 calories of warming, much caused by AGW.

2012 Arctic sea ice September volume was ~ 12,000 cubic kms less than the 1980-1989 average, each gram representing ~80 calories of warming, much caused by AGW.

“I Luv Carbon Dioxide”

Since: Dec 08

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 11, 2013

Judged:

gcaveman1 wrote:
"Using fossil fuel helps free ancient carbon back into the atmosphere where it can do some good. Freeing carbon dioxide into the air helps mitigate climate change against global cooling; the well known ice age climate scenario.
I know you lie because I copied this from your original post to a file on my laptop so I can grab it all the time. I grabbed it from under the name Brian_G. Is that you, or are you going to lie about that as well?
Did you copy the page number too? If so, please post. I've provided a google search that shows I've often used the same argument with the caveat: "If man made greenhouse gas causes global warming", you haven't provided ANY citations. I wrote that quote in reply to a post that made the AGW assumption, I don't endorse it.

I'll be more careful in the future, because alarmists will write almost anything to support their political goals.
SpaceBlues

Houston, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 11, 2013

Judged:

Brian_G wrote:
<quoted text>To another poster:

Did you copy the page number too? If so, please post. I've provided a google search that shows I've often used the same argument with the caveat: "If man made greenhouse gas causes global warming", you haven't provided ANY citations. I wrote that quote in reply to a post that made the AGW assumption, I don't endorse it.
I'll be more careful in the future, because alarmists will write almost anything to support their political goals.
Playing dumb suits you well.

I personally confirm your post:

http://www.topix.com/forum/city/apopka-fl/T10...

Date: March 28, 2013.

However, I have read this as a repeat many times before. You are disgusting!
SpaceBlues

Houston, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 11, 2013

gcaveman1 wrote:
<quoted text>To b_gone:

Of course, you are right.

I had no doubt that you were telling like it is; b_gone is a liar.
Obskeptic

Troy, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 11, 2013

Judged:

SpaceBlues wrote:
<quoted text>Say what? Read to learn:
400 ppm May 10, 2013 : 10:25 AM
Yesterday, for the first time in human history, concentrations of carbon dioxide, the primary global warming pollutant, hit 400 parts per million in our planet's atmosphere. This number is a reminder that for the last 150 years -- and especially over the last several decades -- we have been recklessly polluting the protective sheath of atmosphere that surrounds the Earth and protects the conditions that have fostered the flourishing of our civilization. We are altering the composition of our atmosphere at an unprecedented rate. Indeed, every single day we pour an additional 90 million tons of global warming pollution into the sky as if it were an open sewer. As the distinguished climate scientist Jim Hansen has calculated, the accumulated manmade global warming pollution in the atmosphere now traps enough extra heat energy each day to equal the energy that would be released by 400,000 Hiroshima-scale atomic bombs exploding every single day. It's a big planet -- but that is a LOT of energy. And it is having a destructive effect.
Now, more than ever before, we are reaping the consequences of our recklessness. From Superstorm Sandy which crippled New York City and large areas of New Jersey, to a drought which parched more than half of our nation; from a flood that inundated large swaths of Australia to rising seas affecting millions around the world, the reality of the climate crisis is upon us.
Our food systems, our cities, our people and our very way of life developed within a stable range of climatic conditions on Earth. Without immediate and decisive action, these favorable conditions on Earth could become a memory if we continue to make the climate crisis worse day after day after day.
With any great challenge comes great opportunity. We have the rare privilege to rise to an occasion of global magnitude. To do so, our communities, our businesses, our universities, and our governments need to work in harmony to stop the climate crisis. We must summon the very best of the human spirit and draw on our courage, our ingenuity, our intellect, and our determination to confront this crisis. Make no mistake, this crisis will demand no less than our very best. I am optimistic because we have risen to meet the greatest challenges of our past.
So please, take this day and the milestone it represents to reflect on the fragility of our civilization and and the planetary ecosystem on which it depends. Rededicate yourself to the task of saving our future. Talk to your neighbors, call your legislator, let your voice be heard. We must take immediate action to solve this crisis. Not tomorrow, not next week, not next year. Now.
So what your saying is that if I keep pissing in the ocean, the water levels will rise and it will become pissy salt water and not just stay salt water? Are you sure about that, or are you one of those pretending that consensus among government paid scientists is actually science?

Since: Apr 08

"the green troll"

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 11, 2013

Bob Burns wrote:
<quoted text>Hmmm. CO2 at record levels, yet no warming for the last 16 years. That proves CO2 has no warming effect
I'm afraid you've heard a Chinese whisper: it has warmed.

http://www.woodfortrees.org/plot/gistemp/from...

Explanation here:

http://www.fool-me-once.com/2010/07/global-wa...

“I Luv Carbon Dioxide”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 11, 2013

Judged:

SpaceBlues wrote:
Playing dumb suits you well.
^^^Many alarmists like SpaceBlues use ad hominem fallacies instead of logic; this is where we differ.

SpaceBlues wrote:
I personally confirm your post:
Date: March 28, 2013.
However, I have read this as a repeat many times before. You are disgusting!
I don't dispute the post, we just need to keep it in context. The thread's title is: "Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds up[...]", it assumes man made greenhouse gas emission cause climate change. I simply adopted that assumption, for the sake of argument. I don't endorse AGW theory and it's a mistake to believe I do.

“I Luv Carbon Dioxide”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 11, 2013

Judged:

SpaceBlues wrote:
Of course, you are right.
^^^I claim many alarmists can't tell the truth from a lie. See the post above as proof. They refuse to argue the point and cite any experimental test for climate change mitigation. See the post above for proof.

Since: Apr 08

"the green troll"

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 11, 2013

Brian_G wrote:
<quoted text>^^^Many alarmists like SpaceBlues use ad hominem fallacies instead of logic; this is where we differ.
Where you differ is SpaceBlues posts in good faith and you are a troll.
A troll wants to cause a commotion and get people ranting and raving because they want their presence on a forum or comments thread to be the main focus. They want the spotlight and attention on them.

To do this they will disrupt the flow of conversation, provoke fellow commenters and/or post abusive statements to inflame a response.

Often they will play devils advocate, vigorously defending statements or positions they know to be illogical or untrue in an attempt to get people riled up.
http://www.insidersedge.co.uk/lifestyletips/h...
gcaveman1

Bay Springs, MS

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 12, 2013

Judged:

Brian_G wrote:
<quoted text>Did you copy the page number too? If so, please post. I've provided a google search that shows I've often used the same argument with the caveat: "If man made greenhouse gas causes global warming", you haven't provided ANY citations. I wrote that quote in reply to a post that made the AGW assumption, I don't endorse it.
#34779-this forum.

And a tip of the hat to Space, for backing me up.

Two truth-sayers against one liar is like the value of two pearls compared to a ton of hogshit.

What say ye now, LIAR? I'm betting it will be another LIE.
gcaveman1

Bay Springs, MS

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 12, 2013

SpaceBlues wrote:
<quoted text>Of course, you are right.
Something I've been noticing the last few months, and it's kinda scary.

When a denier, Republicant, conswervative, or Talibangelist says something, there is a 99+% chance that it is wrong.

When a AGW acceptor, Democrat, liberal, or atheist/agnostic says something, there is a 95% chance that they are right.

So much so that I don't need to do a lot of research of late, because the odds are in my favor, even if I don't know all the facts, that deniers, Republicants, conswervatives, or Talibangelists are wrong and AGW acceptors, Democrats, liberals, or atheists/agnostics are right.

There are few things in life that are so certain.

Since: Mar 09

Wichita, KS

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 12, 2013

gcaveman1 wrote:
<quoted text>
#34779-this forum.
And a tip of the hat to Space, for backing me up.
Two truth-sayers against one liar is like the value of two pearls compared to a ton of hogshit.
What say ye now, LIAR? I'm betting it will be another LIE.
Shows that Big_goof is just a trollish lliar. But that has been established for several years. The problem with being a liar is not taht others do not believe him but that he cannot believe others.....
gcaveman1

Bay Springs, MS

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 12, 2013

Obskeptic wrote:
<quoted text>
So what your saying is that if I keep pissing in the ocean, the water levels will rise and it will become pissy salt water and not just stay salt water? Are you sure about that, or are you one of those pretending that consensus among government paid scientists is actually science?
I'd stay away from the ocean, if I were you. You might drown.

You're obviously too stupid to know when you're in over your head.
gcaveman1

Bay Springs, MS

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 12, 2013

Brian_G wrote:
<quoted text>^^^Many alarmists like SpaceBlues use ad hominem fallacies instead of logic; this is where we differ.
<quoted text>I don't dispute the post, we just need to keep it in context. The thread's title is: "Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds up[...]", it assumes man made greenhouse gas emission cause climate change. I simply adopted that assumption, for the sake of argument. I don't endorse AGW theory and it's a mistake to believe I do.
Twisty.

Slippery.

What we call "crawfishin'" down heah.

Attempted/failed qualification.

With your record as a prolific liar, this just comes across as another of your lies.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Chicago Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 12 min Nostrilis Waxman 1,098,967
Ill. House Approves Legalizing Same-Sex Civil U... (Dec '10) 14 min JoseBobTheIllinoi... 49,372
Israeli troops begin Gaza pullout as Hamas decl... (Jan '09) 16 min danetoo 68,335
Modern Midways Carnival Company totally ignoran... 24 min King Ganymede 1
BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting... (Jan '09) 32 min Jacques from Ottawa 177,246
Topix Chitown Regulars (Aug '09) 1 hr John Lofton 97,894
Aurora University student charged with sexual a... 1 hr john smith 6
Amy 8-26 3 hr Stina2 26

Search the Chicago Forum:
•••
•••

Chicago Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••

Chicago People Search