Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds up, leaving litt...

Full story: Newsday

When Bill Clinton took office in 1993, global warming was a slow-moving environmental problem that was easy to ignore.
Comments
33,661 - 33,680 of 46,326 Comments Last updated 2 hrs ago
SpaceBlues

Pasadena, TX

#35706 May 9, 2013
OzRitz wrote:
<quoted text>
Good point!, we have these litmus tests going on all over the world right now and no one can find definitive answers as to why.
The ONE big thing we could change and DONT is Man's interaction with the environment as a principle cause. It's a sad reflection on what advances have been made since civilisation has began. We change the things that have no impact on Economic infrastructure but as soon as something threatens a dramatic change to that Economic model we fight tooth n nail not to do it regardless of the consequences. It took 40 yrs fighting tobacco lobbying to have smoking banned in public places and advertising. What did they do in response, built a market in undeveloped countries where they have kids as young as 5 smoking in Asia. That's the morality of big business when looking after your welfare without government interference. We did exactly the same thing with manufacturing with business citing too much government control to be profitable so exported a polluting problem off shore. But in reality it was taking advantage of cheap Labor with little to no rules. How is that working out for the planet at the moment.
Correction: industrialization is not civilization. Vice versa, too.
SpaceBlues

Pasadena, TX

#35707 May 9, 2013
Amazon Deforestation, Brazil

Explore a global timelapse of our planet, constructed from Landsat satellite imagery. The Amazon rainforest is shrinking at a rapid rate to provide land for farming and raising cattle. Each frame of the timelapse map is constructed from a year of Landsat satellite data, constituting an annual 1.7-terapixel snapshot of the Earth at 30-meter resolution. The Landsat program, managed by the USGS, has been acquiring images of the Earth's surface since 1972. Landsat provides critical scientific information about our changing planet.

http://earthengine.google.org/#intro/Amazon
gcaveman1

Bay Springs, MS

#35708 May 9, 2013
Brian_G wrote:
<quoted text>No, gcaveman1 misread, just like he forgot the password of his gcaveman login.
You are a liar. You've lied yet again.

I challenge you to show my misreading. I invite anyone to review the record.

Sometimes I forget a password, but I have a dozen, most very secure, in case you're planning thief to you resume'.

Daddy always said "A man that'll lie will steal."
SpaceBlues

Pasadena, TX

#35709 May 9, 2013
gcaveman1

Bay Springs, MS

#35710 May 9, 2013
SpaceBlues wrote:
Explore a global timelapse of our planet, constructed from Landsat satellite imagery. The Amazon rainforest is shrinking at a rapid rate to provide land for farming and raising cattle. Each frame of the timelapse map is constructed from a year of Landsat satellite data, constituting an annual 1.7-terapixel snapshot of the Earth at 30-meter resolution. The Landsat program, managed by the USGS, has been acquiring images of the Earth's surface since 1972. Landsat provides critical scientific information about our changing planet.
i just saw this on the news. Gonna check it out. Thanks!

“Let's X Change!!”

Since: Feb 09

B4 HOPE Is Gone...

#35711 May 9, 2013
litesong wrote:
<quoted text>
You're not enamored with the 'middleofthedownwronggully' anymore! At age 14, your 'middleofthedownwronggully' has made you a sot.
lol....are you making a statement or asking a question? funny how a 14 yr. old drunk can so easily make you appear stupid....and lame.

think, son, before you type. please?

“Let's X Change!!”

B4 HOPE Is Gone...

#35712 May 9, 2013
tha Professor wrote:
<quoted text>
Science works on its own and in its own way, it doesn't report to doofuses like you or accede to your "demands."
LMAO@U
i had to read this again......i thought you were actually admitting this about climate at first glance!!:-D

btw....where's the OWS?

“Let's X Change!!”

B4 HOPE Is Gone...

#35713 May 9, 2013
gcaveman1 wrote:
<quoted text>
You are a liar. You've lied yet again.
I challenge you to show my misreading. I invite anyone to review the record.
Sometimes I forget a password, but I have a dozen, most very secure, in case you're planning thief to you resume'.
Daddy always said "A man that'll lie will steal."
you cretens from "jasspa" county are a peculiar crowd.

“Let's X Change!!”

B4 HOPE Is Gone...

#35714 May 9, 2013
SpaceBlues wrote:
yeah, and you know the "funny" part.....they can't clear enough land in brazil fast enough to grow sugar cane. the liberal democrats made a deal with brazil that sugar cane ethanol would be counted as a cellulosic biofuel. guess who pays them to do this?
wake the fuque up.....or at least stop hugging the tree to see what's going on!!!

“Let's X Change!!”

B4 HOPE Is Gone...

#35715 May 9, 2013
you people are being played and you don't even know it!

nobody wants to hurt the planet, guys! honest.

but your idea of the solution is actually feeding the problem.

stop it already.

“Let's X Change!!”

B4 HOPE Is Gone...

#35716 May 9, 2013
mememine69 wrote:
<quoted text>That's just you saying it. I want a scientist to say it "WILL" happen like they say asteroid hits are..........eventual. So as long as it's only you remaining believers doing the lying..........climate blame is dead and real planet lovers are happy not mad a crisis was avoided. You just hate yourself and all of humanity.
Sadly, I think you're correct in this assessment. I wish it weren't so....but it probably is the case. What else could rational people conclude?
litesong

Monroe, WA

#35717 May 9, 2013
middleofthedownwronggully wrote:
funny how a 14 yr. old drunk can so easily make you appear stupid...
Dunning-Kruger syndrome.......'is strong with this one'.

“Let's X Change!!”

B4 HOPE Is Gone...

#35718 May 9, 2013
SpaceBlues wrote:
<quoted text>You were shown many during your many years of posting many thousands <41,000> of posts.
so says the neophyte quasi-scientist.....who happens to also be an unregistered coward. as well as an opinionated self righteous liar.
peace!
gcaveman1

Bay Springs, MS

#35719 May 9, 2013
ritedownthemiddle wrote:
<quoted text>you cretens from "jasspa" county are a peculiar crowd.
Tell us about Jasper County, Mississippi, named after a hero of the Revolutionary War.

Are you including the people from Jasper County, Texas, Iowa, South Carolina, Missouri, Georgia, and Indiana as well?

That would be "cretins", not "cretensthatidontknowhowt ospell".

Been doing your research? Did you triangulate (no, you can't even pronounce that, much less know what it means or how to do it)? Are you stalking me?

Assumptions make an ass of you and mememine69ing himself. I am not from Jasper County, MS.

Since: Jul 11

Location hidden

#35720 May 9, 2013
ritedownthemiddle wrote:
<quoted text>yeah, and you know the "funny" part.....they can't clear enough land in brazil fast enough to grow sugar cane. the liberal democrats made a deal with brazil that sugar cane ethanol would be counted as a cellulosic biofuel. guess who pays them to do this?
wake the fuque up.....or at least stop hugging the tree to see what's going on!!!
Whats wrong with conservatives these days, that as soon as Environment is involved they feel they have to go in the opposite direction. Because anyone who might have an issue with Environmental policies must be a liberal. What a bunch of crap.

There was a woman who use to post on here who was a die hard Republican and any time she mentioned Environmental policies she got branded a Liberal. This how f...d up the Republican party has become, from the tea party brigade to Glen Becks of this world forming such a narrow view of the world and can't budge from it.

“Let's X Change!!”

B4 HOPE Is Gone...

#35721 May 9, 2013
gcaveman1 wrote:
<quoted text>
Tell us about Jasper County, Mississippi, named after a hero of the Revolutionary War.
Are you including the people from Jasper County, Texas, Iowa, South Carolina, Missouri, Georgia, and Indiana as well?
That would be "cretins", not "cretensthatidontknowhowt ospell".
Been doing your research? Did you triangulate (no, you can't even pronounce that, much less know what it means or how to do it)? Are you stalking me?
Assumptions make an ass of you and mememine69ing himself. I am not from Jasper County, MS.
just your county, creten.
jasper county...in good ole mississipp!
the county that has the most gas and oil in your incredibly obese welfare sucking state.
the same hayseed county that has the cheapest board of supervisors per favor.
the place where the closest thing to a nordstrom's is a fuquing dollar general.

and lastly....creten is the proper spelling of the word for those who actually know and understand the derivation of the term, son. don't ever try to give me spelling lesson, hickboy. LOL
say....kan ewe spail M I crooked letter crooked letter I.....?
dumb shit.
bwahahahahahahahahahaha

“Let's X Change!!”

B4 HOPE Is Gone...

#35722 May 9, 2013
litesong wrote:
<quoted text>
Dunning-Kruger syndrome.......'is strong with this one'.
yet you don't have the skills to back up ANY of your claims.

your statement says more about you than me, perhaps, son.

doncha think?

“Let's X Change!!”

B4 HOPE Is Gone...

#35723 May 9, 2013
OzRitz wrote:
<quoted text>
Whats wrong with conservatives these days, that as soon as Environment is involved they feel they have to go in the opposite direction. Because anyone who might have an issue with Environmental policies must be a liberal. What a bunch of crap.
There was a woman who use to post on here who was a die hard Republican and any time she mentioned Environmental policies she got branded a Liberal. This how f...d up the Republican party has become, from the tea party brigade to Glen Becks of this world forming such a narrow view of the world and can't budge from it.
hey, ask that of the other poster!!! LOL i'm about the only person here who questions the wisdom that these people seem hell bent and 100% certain that their way is the only way to deal with the environment and "climate change". when i don't seem so willing to join the cult.....it is i who was called a teabagger, petroleum paid shill, gop white guy...blah blah blah.
i'm independent. i think for myself. these people readily admitted who they are and why they support their beliefs. EVEN THOUGH THEY CAN'T BACK UP THEIR CLAIMS! it's hysterical.:-D
litesong

Monroe, WA

#35724 May 9, 2013
OzRitz wrote:
This how f...d up the Republican party has become, from the tea party brigade to Glen Becks
I disagree. re-pubic-lick-uns were always the way they are, presently. The tea party, Beck, & Fox only pump extra doses of self-righteousness into their propaganda PEE-R.

Since: Mar 09

Wichita, KS

#35725 May 10, 2013
ritedownthemiddle wrote:
<quoted text>hey, ask that of the other poster!!! LOL i'm about the only person here who questions the wisdom that these people seem hell bent and 100% certain that their way is the only way to deal with the environment and "climate change". when i don't seem so willing to join the cult.....it is i who was called a teabagger, petroleum paid shill, gop white guy...blah blah blah.
i'm independent. i think for myself. these people readily admitted who they are and why they support their beliefs. EVEN THOUGH THEY CAN'T BACK UP THEIR CLAIMS! it's hysterical.:-D
Back off hayseed!

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Chicago Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 4 min THE DEVIL 1,100,369
Ill. House Approves Legalizing Same-Sex Civil U... (Dec '10) 10 min Posted Response 49,530
Last word + 2 (Mar '12) 22 min andet1987 573
Four letter word game (Dec '11) 23 min andet1987 1,258
Word (Dec '08) 28 min andet1987 4,654
Double Word Game (Dec '11) 30 min andet1987 1,455
BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting... (Jan '09) 59 min wojar 177,401
Topix Chitown Regulars (Aug '09) 3 hr trying to keep up 97,936
•••
•••

Chicago Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••

Chicago People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••

Chicago News, Events & Info