Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds up, leaving litt...

Full story: Newsday

When Bill Clinton took office in 1993, global warming was a slow-moving environmental problem that was easy to ignore.
Comments
33,321 - 33,340 of 45,791 Comments Last updated 51 min ago
gcaveman1

Louin, MS

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 22, 2013

Judged:

Really wrote:
There was a land bridge allowing people to walk to America, but since the sea level came up 390 feet, it is under water. There were glaciers all the way down into Nebraska. Research has shown that the first Americans caused the "faster than now" rise in sea level by having too many camp fires. It was an easy to prove since the camp fires were all the people had to increase CO2, and nothing else could of caused the sea level rise.
A little learning is a dangerous thing.

What research? Who did this research and came to this ridiculous conclusion?

How many campfires would it take to equal the GHG output of all of the rest of civilization since 1850? You know, the coal burning power plants, the steel mills, the cars, trucks, trains, planes? Did you forget that primitive people have also set grassland and forest fires, either accidentally or on purpose?

Have you ever heard of critical thinking? I recommend it.

Is that you, Teener?

Since: Apr 08

"the green troll"

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 23, 2013

Judged:

fishaholic wrote:
<quoted text>
Why don't you propose that to the NASA experts that published the article? I just report it. I didn't write the paper so don't shoot the messenger.
Your article wasn't published by NASA- it was a political spin of the article on a political site.

http://science.nasa.gov/science-news/science-...

The NASA article reports on a known role of CO2 in the atmosphere. Your article tries to portray this as a new discovery that somehow undermines AGW.

Messengers who peddle lies deserve to get shot.

“EnvironMENTAList ”

Since: Feb 07

Near Detroit

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 23, 2013

Judged:

Get up to date and stop this needless panic.

*Occupywallstreet does not even mention CO2 in its list of demands because of the bank-funded carbon trading stock markets ruled by corporations and trustworthy politicians.

Science only agrees it “could” be not “will” be a crisis.

Not one single IPCC warning isn’t swimming in “maybes” and not one single scientist anywhere has ever said a CO2 crisis is as inevitable or eventual like the same scientists like to say comet hits are, only
“possibly” and “potentially” and “likely” and…. Deny that!

A climate crisis is the worst emergency imaginable and needs certainty not “maybe”. And if you think a little tiny catastrophic crisis is even possible, nothing will change your mind doomer.

If “maybe” is good enough for you to condemn your own children to your exaggerated greenhouse gas ovens……………you are no planet lover, you just hate humanity.

28 years of “maybe” is 100% proof that CO2 “won’t” be acrisis.

Since: Mar 09

Wichita, KS

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 23, 2013

Judged:

Fair Game wrote:
<quoted text>
Your article wasn't published by NASA- it was a political spin of the article on a political site.
http://science.nasa.gov/science-news/science-...
The NASA article reports on a known role of CO2 in the atmosphere. Your article tries to portray this as a new discovery that somehow undermines AGW.
Messengers who peddle lies deserve to get shot.
Actually contrarian Tim Ball was instrumental in starting the denier site. He has lost creditability in the science community so has to resort to such tactics to get his distorted viewpoints out.
gcaveman1

Laurel, MS

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 23, 2013

Judged:

mememine69 wrote:
*Occupywallstreet does not even mention CO2 in its list of demands because of the bank-funded carbon trading stock markets ruled by corporations and trustworthy politicians.
Not one single IPCC warning isn’t swimming in “maybes” and not one single scientist anywhere has ever said a CO2 crisis is as inevitable or eventual like the same scientists like to say comet hits are, only
A climate crisis is the worst emergency imaginable and needs certainty not “maybe”. And if you think a little tiny catastrophic crisis is even possible, nothing will change your mind doomer.
If “maybe” is good enough for you to condemn your own children to your exaggerated greenhouse gas ovens……………you are no planet lover, you just hate humanity.
There is a 95% probability that it will be a crisis.

There is very small chance that your house will catch fire and burn down, destroying all your possessions and maybe the lives of your children. You still carry fire insurance, don't you? Because the probability is so small, do you lobby to get rid of the fire department because it's a waste of taxpayer money?

“So long to you, Righties”

Since: Jan 12

keep suckin' and whiffin'!

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 23, 2013

Judged:

Brian_G wrote:
<quoted text>Tell that to the energy boom towns and Wall Street. Look at the citations, the CO2 emission limits aren't real.
Green energy doesn't work, fossil fuel does. CO2 doesn't cause die off, acid rain does.
What's "not real" is the stupidity of someone who doesn't know that acid rain is the product of the burning of fossil fuel...LOL

Since: Apr 08

"the green troll"

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 23, 2013

Judged:

Patriot AKA Bozo wrote:
<quoted text>
Actually contrarian Tim Ball was instrumental in starting the denier site. He has lost creditability in the science community so has to resort to such tactics to get his distorted viewpoints out.
And shortly to lose his shirt to Michael Mann in a libel case of course.

“I Luv Carbon Dioxide”

Since: Dec 08

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 23, 2013

Judged:

tha Professor wrote:
What's "not real" is the stupidity of someone who doesn't know that acid rain is the product of the burning of fossil fuel...LOL
I get a chuckle out of someone who doesn't know CO2 from H2SO4.

There's an oil and gas boom, supply is increasing. Obviously, carbon bubble economics and peak oil only exist in the minds of the people.

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 23, 2013

Judged:

Brian_G wrote:
<quoted text>I get a chuckle out of someone who doesn't know CO2 from H2SO4.
There's an oil and gas boom, supply is increasing. Obviously, carbon bubble economics and peak oil only exist in the minds of the people.
This is what you said, dickweed:

"Green energy doesn't work, fossil fuel does. CO2 doesn't cause die off, acid rain does."

BURNING THE FOSSIL FUEL KNOWN AS COAL CAUSES ACID RAIN, Brainless. That is what's known as a "scientific fact," you pathetic MORON.

You just CONDEMNED the very fossil fuels you so cheerily worship by ADMITTING they cause acid rain.

That makes you a FOOL. Now admit it and sit the hell down and shut up.

Since: Jul 11

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 23, 2013

Judged:

mememine69 wrote:
I think your lucky that the other planet catastrophe happened around the time of the dinosaurs otherwise you might be sharing the highway with a T-Rex. That's pretty big road kill!

What you deniers keep doing is trying the emphasise the "maybes" when there are NO maybes, global warming is here right now.
This BS of trying to introduce doubt because science can't tell you it will be a clear and sunny day in Dallas in April in 2015 as a reason to dismiss every fact that is thrown at you. Because just by coincidence most deniers believe in God yet have no proof of that either! Just a bunch of stories passed on through the ages and no scientific proof.
SpaceBlues

Houston, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 23, 2013

Judged:

Fair Game wrote:
<quoted text>
And shortly to lose his shirt to Michael Mann in a libel case of course.
Of course.

Justice is too slow.
gcaveman1

Laurel, MS

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 24, 2013

Judged:

Brian_G wrote:
<quoted text>I get a chuckle out of someone who doesn't know CO2 from H2SO4.
The new supply is even dirtier than the old supply.
But the verbal supply from lyin brian is always a lie.

“I Luv Carbon Dioxide”

Since: Dec 08

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 24, 2013

Judged:

tha Professor wrote:
This is what you said, dickweed: "Green energy doesn't work, fossil fuel does. CO2 doesn't cause die off, acid rain does." BURNING THE FOSSIL FUEL KNOWN AS COAL CAUSES ACID RAIN, Brainless. That is what's known as a "scientific fact," you pathetic MORON.
Burning all coal doesn't cause acid rain; burning high sulfur coal or high sulfur fuel oil causes acid rain. CO2 isn't acid rain.

tha Professor wrote:
You just CONDEMNED the very fossil fuels you so cheerily worship by ADMITTING they cause acid rain.
Low sulfur coal, low sulfur oil and natural gas don't cause acid rain; I just embraced three fossil fuels.

tha Professor wrote:
That makes you a FOOL. Now admit it and sit the hell down and shut up.
^^^See how they like to bully and insult?

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 24, 2013

Brian_G wrote:
<quoted text>Burning all coal doesn't cause acid rain; burning high sulfur coal or high sulfur fuel oil causes acid rain. CO2 isn't acid rain.
....EDITED....
Oh, shut up and stop waffling. I busted you, at least have the honesty to admit it, troll.

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 24, 2013

Brian_G wrote:
<quoted text>Burning all coal doesn't cause acid rain; burning high sulfur coal or high sulfur fuel oil causes acid rain. CO2 isn't acid rain.
..EDITED....
This is whiny boy's idea of an "answer," notice.

"Burning ALL coal..."

..nowhere did I specify any type of coal, just that burning coal has been linked to acid rain. I know of no type of coal that, burned without scrubbing technology, does NOT put S02 in the atmosphere and thereby cause acid rain, either, which appears to make Brain a LIAR.

"C02 isn't acid rain..."

No one said it was, of course, but Brian. Naturally he's trying to conflate the two in order to excuse his gross error. But burning coal...ALL kinds of coal....does indeed put more C02 into the atmosphere than any other kind of fuel.

Why would anyone do anything but laugh at Brian's silly posturing and trolling?:)
SpaceBlues

Houston, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 24, 2013

Judged:

tha Professor wrote:
<quoted text>To B_gone:
Oh, shut up and stop waffling. I busted you, at least have the honesty to admit it, troll.
LOL. Lyin' Brian?

Gosh it even lies about fossil fuels. Everybody knows that all fossil fuels, coal, oil, natural gas, all of them contain sulfur.

Who's going to teach it sulfur chemistry?

http://www.umac.org/ocp/HowisAcidRainFormed/i...
litesong

Everett, WA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 24, 2013

Judged:

gcaveman1 wrote:
Is that you, Teener?
Maybe she's on vacation from the east coast to Kansas.

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 24, 2013

Judged:

SpaceBlues wrote:
<quoted text>LOL. Lyin' Brian?
Gosh it even lies about fossil fuels. Everybody knows that all fossil fuels, coal, oil, natural gas, all of them contain sulfur.
Who's going to teach it sulfur chemistry?
http://www.umac.org/ocp/HowisAcidRainFormed/i...
Who indeed? Even with scrubber technology, pollutants including S02 are still emitted.
COAL IS KING

Paducah, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 24, 2013

Judged:

I don't deny that more CO2 in the atomosphere will cause the earth's climate to get warmer. That is basic science. I don't deny that burning coal is increasing the amount of CO2. That is common sense. I do question the idea that global warming is bad. It only stands to reason that a warmer world will be able to grow more food because all that frozen land in the far north will become fertile farmland.
COAL IS KING

Paducah, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 24, 2013

Judged:

Check out this story in the March 1912 edition of Popular Mechanics magazine.

http://books.google.com/books...

They knew about the relationship between coal, increased CO2, and global warming 101 years ago, but they recognized its benefits.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

94 Users are viewing the Chicago Forum right now

Search the Chicago Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
Ill. House Approves Legalizing Same-Sex Civil U... (Dec '10) 4 min Terry rigsby 48,903
Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 5 min RoxLo 1,079,851
Topix Chitown Regulars (Aug '09) 7 min PEllen 97,531
Israeli troops begin Gaza pullout as Hamas decl... (Jan '09) 9 min TRD 67,940
Ask Amy July 25, 2014 11 min PEllen 1
Abby July 25, 2014 13 min PEllen 1
BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting... (Jan '09) 14 min LRS 174,623
Amy 7-24 35 min Mister Tonka 24
Abby 7-24 13 hr Pippa 42
•••
•••
•••

Chicago Jobs