Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds up, leaving litt...

Full story: Newsday

When Bill Clinton took office in 1993, global warming was a slow-moving environmental problem that was easy to ignore.
Comments
32,881 - 32,900 of 45,860 Comments Last updated 1 hr ago

Since: Jan 13

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 1, 2013

Brian_G wrote:
<quoted text>True, and I advocate taking carbon out of the atmosphere without restraint too... I also don't fear atmospheric levels closer to 500ppm or less than 1,000ppm, but I don't want them to fall below 300ppm if I can help it.

<quoted text>We don't know that, there's never been a peer reviewed experimental test on climate change mitigation or showing adding or removing CO2 from the air changes atmospheric CO2 levels even the smallest measurable part per trillion or the smallest measurable global temperature change.

<quoted text>The reason "these things remain in dispute" is the complete lack of any published experimental test of climate change mitigation or of man made global warming by the emission of a known greenhouse gas or the extraction of a greenhouse gas from the air, that shows either a change in the quantity of that gas as part of the atmosphere or a change in climate.

<quoted text>If "[p]eople like you will have to die or get out of the way", then human civilization's not worth saving. I'd never advocate such inhumane treatment or bully people out of the way to protect climate. This is where we differ.

<quoted text>True, in science experiments are used to verify and refine theory, not consensus.
You can repeat your arrant equine excrement as much as you want; it'll still stink.

You're a fool & a MOR0N if you don't fear CO levels of 1000 PPM. That would cause a MUCH warmer, ice-free earth, with temps 20 or 30º C warmer. Humans would not be happy. Sea level would be ~75 meters higher. Billons would die because droughts would kill agriculture.

Our sun is ~3% stronger than it was in the Carboniferous; believe it or not, that matters - a LOT. But you just maintain your "what - me worry?" attitude.

Since you people refuse to prove that your actions won't kill billions of people, & our best evidence suggests they almost certainly will, why don't we do the experiment? Just like others have said, let's get atmospheric CO2 down to 350 PPM. GREAT idea!!

That way you could maintain an ethical stance. Maybe future generations won't consider you responsible the worst mass murder in history.

Oh, believe me, you WILL die or get out of the way of climate change mitigation & CO2 reduction. That's not a threat, it's a guarantee.

It's unbelievable how much your progeny will despise you. I guess it's comforting for you to be in this profound denial. It lets you spew this incessant stream of equine excrement from your brain cavity to the outside world.

“I Luv Carbon Dioxide”

Since: Dec 08

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 1, 2013

Judged:

HomoSapiensLaptopicus wrote:
... why don't we do the experiment? Just like others have said, let's get atmospheric CO2 down to 350 PPM. GREAT idea!!....
Why not? You want to take CO2 out of the air, go for it. Farmers and foresters use atmospheric CO2 to create goods, nobody's stopping you. You don't need my help.

That would be a first, an experiment that shows a man made action changing the composition of the Earth's atmosphere; I'd like to see that. There have been no peer reviewed experiments on climate change mitigation, man made emissions changing the atmosphere or man made emissions causing global climate change. We need experimental tests to tell if it would work and how much it would cost.
Reddy Kilowatt

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 1, 2013

Judged:

<quoted text>
You can repeat your arrant equine excrement as much as you want; it'll still stink.
You're a fool & a MOR0N if you don't fear CO levels of 1000 PPM. That would cause a MUCH warmer, ice-free earth, with temps 20 or 30º C warmer. Humans would not be happy. Sea level would be ~75 meters higher. Billons would die because droughts would kill agriculture.
Our sun is ~3% stronger than it was in the Carboniferous; believe it or not, that matters - a LOT. But you just maintain your "what - me worry?" attitude.
Since you people refuse to prove that your actions won't kill billions of people, & our best evidence suggests they almost certainly will, why don't we do the experiment? Just like others have said, let's get atmospheric CO2 down to 350 PPM. GREAT idea!!
That way you could maintain an ethical stance. Maybe future generations won't consider you responsible the worst mass murder in history.
Oh, believe me, you WILL die or get out of the way of climate change mitigation & CO2 reduction. That's not a threat, it's a guarantee.
It's unbelievable how much your progeny will despise you. I guess it's comforting for you to be in this profound denial. It lets you spew this incessant stream of equine excrement from your brain cavity to the outside world.
A pretty self-righteous lecture from someone who is standing in the way by their own inaction and hand-wringing of replacing all US carbon-fueled base load electric power generation with modern nuclear - the ONLY available strategy that bends the carbon curve down meaningfully in the immediate short-term.

litesong

Everett, WA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 1, 2013

rundown kilowatt wrote:
....... pretty self-righteous lecture
"rundown kilowatt" is jealous, since it has no righteousness(& no right science & mathematics) of its own.
TrollBot

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 1, 2013

dimbulb wrote:
<quoted text>
(Another juvenile and inane troll snipped)
Troll. Ignore.

"Helping ignore trolls until Topix lets you killfile the scum."
SpaceBlues

Houston, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 1, 2013

Judged:

Reddy Kilowatt wrote:
<quoted text>to another poster:

A pretty self-righteous lecture from someone who is standing in the way by their own inaction and hand-wringing of replacing all US carbon-fueled base load electric power generation with modern nuclear - the ONLY available strategy that bends the carbon curve down meaningfully in the immediate short-term.
You are unready watt!

You have no watt to sell except your hatred for others.
TrollBot

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 1, 2013

Judged:

Space-Case wrote:
<quoted text>
(Another juvenile and content-free inane troll snipped)
Troll. Ignore.

"Helping ignore trolls until Topix lets you killfile the scum."
PHD

Smithville, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 1, 2013

Judged:

litesong wrote:
<quoted text>
"rundown kilowatt" is jealous, since it has no righteousness(& no right science & mathematics) of its own.
More and more that’s all the "pinheadlitesout" have more and more diarrheas.
p dantz

Dowagiac, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 1, 2013

Judged:

Even if they could prove its man made, nobody is going to regulate the monoplies we have on this globe in a market that is not free and really never was. Who do you assholes think is going to have to pay or sacrifice their wealth and freedom to "cool" the globe???:-$
PHD

Smithville, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 1, 2013

Judged:

The above scientific science fiction posers.They use scare tactics to support their evil aganda. Follow the money.
p dantz

Dowagiac, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 1, 2013

dekajed wrote:
http://www.nytimes.com/2012/07 /30/opinion/the-conversion-of- a-climate-change-skeptic.html? pagewanted=all&_r=0
If you can read, read this. I know it's the NYTimes a notoriously left/right wing rag. All lies because it's not funded by Chevron.
no but its owned by the same banks and they are in the same special club chevron is in. Its called the c.f.r. and they publicly state they try to meet with many other big corporations to try to cherry pick the news to "shape" public opinion of foreign policy. Many member corporations are not american. Many big money beltway politicians are also members. Just saying that they all meet together!
SpaceBlues

Houston, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 1, 2013

Judged:

Life is better when lived

http://www.bbc.com/future/story/20130326-why-...
PHD

Smithville, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 1, 2013

Judged:

SpaceBlues wrote:
So prove it with your peer reviewed published work.
SpaceBlues

Houston, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 1, 2013

Judged:

Teddy-are is big-hater aka unready-watt aka troll-bot.

But why?
PHD

Smithville, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 1, 2013

Judged:

SpaceBlues wrote:
Teddy-are is big-hater aka unready-watt aka troll-bot.
But why?
So you can prove it with your peer reviewed published work.
litesong

Everett, WA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 1, 2013

Judged:

"fetid feces face flip flopper fiend' flops:
diarrhea.......
//////////
litesong wrote:
Can't be nice, if any AGW advocate wants to tell the truth about 'fetid feces face flip flopper fiend'.
'fetid feces face flip flopper fiend' can't ask a proper scientific question because it never had science, chemistry, astronomy, physics, algebra or pre-calc in its poorly earned hi skule DEE-plooomaa. Of course,'fetid feces face flip flopper fiend' never had any other science or mathematics training.
At least,'brian_g stumble butt dumpster diver' tried math calculations, tho only a few attempts ended in errors of 1 million TIMES, 1000 TIMES, 3000 TIMES & 73 million TIMES.'fetid feces face flip flopper fiend' has never attempted math calculations, which prove that its proficiency in math is worse than that of 'brian_g stumble butt dumpster diver'.

Since: Jan 13

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 1, 2013

Judged:

Reddy Kilowatt wrote:
<quoted text>
Excuse me?

You think I'm anti-nuke? Guess again. I've only tried to get you to be realistic about politics & lead times.

Yes, we do need modern nuclear plants - but that will take time. In the meantime, conservation is faster.

Right now, the barriers to nuclear are financial. No utility wants to commit to building a plant if they can't predict the market 20 years from now. It'd require leadership. Also a carbon tax to get people to understand the TRUE cost of burning Ffs.
PHD

Smithville, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 2, 2013

Judged:

litesong wrote:
"fetid feces face flip flopper fiend' flops:
diarrhea.......
//////////
litesong wrote:
Can't be nice, if any AGW advocate wants to tell the truth about 'fetid feces face flip flopper fiend'.
'fetid feces face flip flopper fiend' can't ask a proper scientific question because it never had science, chemistry, astronomy, physics, algebra or pre-calc in its poorly earned hi skule DEE-plooomaa. Of course,'fetid feces face flip flopper fiend' never had any other science or mathematics training.
At least,'brian_g stumble butt dumpster diver' tried math calculations, tho only a few attempts ended in errors of 1 million TIMES, 1000 TIMES, 3000 TIMES & 73 million TIMES.'fetid feces face flip flopper fiend' has never attempted math calculations, which prove that its proficiency in math is worse than that of 'brian_g stumble butt dumpster diver'.
More and More Diarrheas from the “pinheadlitesout”.

“EnvironMENTAList ”

Since: Feb 07

Near Detroit

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 2, 2013

Judged:

Just look how pathetic you doomers are now:
*Occupywallstreet does not even mention CO2 in its list of demands because of the bank-funded carbon trading stock markets ruled by corporations and trustworthy politicians.
*Obama has not mentioned the crisis in the last two State of the Unions addresses.
*In all of the debates Obama hadn’t planned to mention climate change once.
*Julian Assange is of course a climate change denier.
*Canada killed Y2Kyoto with a freely elected climate change denying prime minister and nobody cared, especially the millions of scientists warning us of unstoppable warming (a comet hit).

“So long to you, Righties”

Since: Jan 12

keep suckin' and whiffin'!

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 2, 2013

Judged:

..EDITED....
Right now, the barriers to nuclear are financial. No utility wants to commit to building a plant if they can't predict the market 20 years from now. It'd require leadership....EDITED....
And the need to explain to people how Chernobyl and Fukushima were just flukey accidents and it 'can't happen here'.....:(

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

107 Users are viewing the Chicago Forum right now

Search the Chicago Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 9 min Emeem 1,082,876
last post wins! (Apr '13) 13 min boundary painter 300
{keep A word drop A word} (Oct '11) 23 min boundary painter 4,564
Word (Dec '08) 24 min boundary painter 4,588
Abby 7-29 45 min j_m_w 16
Last word + 2 (Mar '12) 47 min boundary painter 475
Four letter word game (Dec '11) 49 min boundary painter 1,197
BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting... (Jan '09) 2 hr Rogue Scholar 05 175,034
Topix Chitown Regulars (Aug '09) 2 hr Sublime1 97,573
•••
•••
Chicago Dating

more search filters

less search filters

•••

Chicago Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••