Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds up, leaving litt...

Full story: Newsday

When Bill Clinton took office in 1993, global warming was a slow-moving environmental problem that was easy to ignore.

Comments (Page 1,644)

Showing posts 32,861 - 32,880 of45,499
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
SpaceBlues

Houston, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 29, 2013

SpaceBlues wrote:
<quoted text>To B_gone:

No, you are not a scientist. Your posts inform us of your ignorance.
For example, you don't know that fossil fuels are radioactive, so are their combustion products.
It isn't just the mercury and other toxic elements and their compounds but also, radioactive compounds.
Why are the tall stacks, etc.?
Fossil fuels and their combustion products are toxic, radioactive, and carcinogenic.

B_gone lies about this fact.

“I Luv Carbon Dioxide”

Since: Dec 08

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 29, 2013

Judged:

Twenty-year hiatus in rising temperatures has climate scientists puzzled
BY:GRAHAM LLOYD, ENVIRONMENT EDITOR From: The Australian March 30, 2013 12:00AM

n a lengthy article this week, The Economist magazine said if climate scientists were credit-rating agencies, then climate sensitivity - the way climate reacts to changes in carbon-dioxide levels - would be on negative watch but not yet downgraded.

Another paper published by leading climate scientist James Hansen, the head of NASA's Goddard Institute for Space Studies, says the lower than expected temperature rise between 2000 and the present could be explained by increased emissions from burning coal.

For Hansen the pause is a fact, but it's good news that probably won't last.

International Panel on Climate Change chairman Rajendra Pachauri recently told The Weekend Australian the hiatus would have to last 30 to 40 years "at least" to break the long-term warming trend....

“I Luv Carbon Dioxide”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 29, 2013

Judged:

t’s the cold, not global warming, that we should be worried about
No one seems upset that in modern Britain, old people are freezing to death as hidden taxes make fuel more expensive

A few months ago, a group of students in Oslo produced a brilliant spoof video that lampooned the charity pop song genre. It showed a group of young Africans coming together to raise money for those of us freezing in the north.“A lot of people aren’t aware of what’s going on there right now,” says the African equivalent of Bob Geldof.“People don’t ignore starving people, so why should we ignore cold people? Frostbite kills too. Africa: we need to make a difference.” The song – Africa for Norway – has been watched online two million times, making it one of Europe’s most popular political videos.
The aim was to send up the patronising, cliched way in which the West views Africa. Norway can afford to make the joke because there, people don’t tend to die of the cold. In Britain, we still do. Each year, an official estimate is made of the “excess winter mortality”– that is, the number of people dying of cold-related illnesses. Last winter was relatively mild, and still 24,000 perished. The indications are that this winter, which has dragged on so long and with such brutality, will claim 30,000 lives, making it one of the biggest killers in the country. And still, no one seems upset....
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/health/elderhealth...

“I Luv Carbon Dioxide”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 29, 2013

Judged:

HomoSapiensLaptopicus wrote:
...Any progress on working out your proof that your changing of the atmosphere is safe? We're waiting with baited breath.
I'm not promoting changing the atmosphere; airs free. I don't want to regulate the CO2 you take from or add to the air. I'm not proposing a CO2 tax, subsidies to low CO2 emitters or any government mitigation of climate change.

I've got nothing to prove; I'm against those regulation.

HSL is proposing those things and if he thinks he can argue for a new tax by forcing taxpayers to prove they shouldn't be taxed, he doesn't know the House of Representatives or simple logic.

“I Luv Carbon Dioxide”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 29, 2013

Judged:

gcaveman1 wrote:
There were thousands of experiments before the first bomb, showing the effects of nuclear chain reaction. How many cities were blown up?
None, but several scientists were injured during experimental tests, "tickling the dragon's tail".
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Louis_Slotin

gcaveman1 wrote:
Then they experimentally tested the bomb before they used it in the war. They had a good idea of the power, since stayed out of the blast radius while watching the test. How many cities were blown up before they finally did the REAL experiment?
None, they experimented in the New Mexico desert before they used the bomb to end the war.

gcaveman1 wrote:
Everything was theory until that first explosion in the desert.
There were a series of experiments showing how nuclear chain reactions work, how much energy is generated and testing the approach to critical mass. There were thousands of experiments that helped to build the bomb.

gcaveman1 wrote:
Global warming is just as valid a theory but you won't believe it even when the ice all melts in your ex-Nazi neighborhood.
There are no experiments that show even the smallest measurable climate change from a man made greenhouse gas emission too or capture from the atmosphere.

Ice melts and water freezes; don't panic.
PHD

Bertram, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 30, 2013

gcaveman1 wrote:
<quoted text>
Look this up........'!
All have and discovered your still an empty chair.Look this up Dumb ASSumption of your----self and discover your----self.

“fairtax.org”

gauley bridge wv

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 30, 2013

Judged:

flack wrote:
New solar structure cools buildings in full sunlight, replacing air conditioners
Have any idea how much electricity you would not have to use it you didn't need air conditioners running 24/7/365? Don't worry all your little heads about climate change. Science will lead the way without all this carbon tax nonsense and that other truck you all are trying to use to control the people. Just think it was only around ten years from the first man in space to man on the moon. More power in your tricorder (come on can we really still call it a phone?) than to run the space shuttle.

Humans have a very stubborn belief in the fact that the world is static. That tomorrow will be exactly like today. Science has already defied tomorrow and is working on next week. We are about to enter the most amazing time period of planet Terra. The technological advances will transform our lives in ways some here can't even imagine yet. Hold on to your hats it's going to be a great ride!!!
PHD

Bertram, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 30, 2013

Judged:

Yes science will be a great ride. Now convince the scientific science fiction posters above.

“fairtax.org”

gauley bridge wv

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 30, 2013

Judged:

PHD wrote:
Yes science will be a great ride. Now convince the scientific science fiction posters above.
It won't happen. They have drunk the Kool-ade. The biggest thing is they missed the window of opportunity on their carbon tax scam. The people woke up before they were ready. The American people for the most part know a pig in a poke when they see one.

Since: Jan 13

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 30, 2013

Judged:

Brian_G wrote:
<quoted text>I'm not promoting changing the atmosphere...
You know Brian, you can lie like this a hundred thousand times, over & over again here, but that won't change the FACT: you are advocating emitting carbon into the atmosphere without restraint. This has already adversely changed the atmosphere, & will continue to change it in ever-more dangerous ways.

You are advocating a dramatic, almost incalculably expensive change in the climate of the earth. It will cause ever-worsening droughts that will cause agricultural problems & finally collapse in multiple areas. Famine, starvation, disease & war will be unavoidable.

Worsening storms will cause increasing damage & flooding in other areas. Hundreds of trillions of dollars of infrastructure will be inundated.

It's true that the precise location, severity & timing of these things remain in dispute, but they WILL happen eventually if we don't change. People like you will have to die or get out of the way. Otherwise we won't be able to save human civilization.

I'm sorry that your bosses & your ideology won't let you see obvious facts that are right in front of your face. Scientific facts are true no matter how much you wish they were not.
litesong

Everett, WA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 30, 2013

Judged:

'brian_g stumble butt dumpster diver' wrote:
I'm not promoting changing the atmosphere...
//////////
"HomoSapiensLaptopicus " wrote:
You know Brian, you can lie like this a hundred thousand times, over & over again.....
/////////
litesong wrote:
'brian_g stumble butt dumpster diver' doesn't know it is lying. Having made errors of 1 million TIMES, 1000 TIMES, 3000 TIMES & 73 million TIMES, the math of 'brian_g stumble butt dumpster diver' sends it down the wrong track....... over & over again.......
Reddy Kilowatt

Mclean, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 30, 2013

Judged:

How not to fix AGW:

http://www.weeklystandard.com/blogs/claim-ger...

By caving in cowardly fashion to the know-nothing Marching Moron Greens and taking the nuclear solution off the table, Merkel has consigned Germany to waste hundreds of billions of national wealth accomplishing fcuk-all in terms of actually saving the planet from AGW.

“I Luv Carbon Dioxide”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 30, 2013

Judged:

You know Brian, you can lie like this a hundred thousand times, over & over again here, but that won't change the FACT: you are advocating emitting carbon into the atmosphere without restraint.
True, and I advocate taking carbon out of the atmosphere without restraint too. Sequester as much CO2 as you please, load mansions with valuable manuscripts and antique furniture if you like, that's nobody's business how much carbon dioxide you sequester or emit. FACT: I am advocating taking carbon out of the air without restraint. What you grow on your land is your business, not mine.

I've got no atmospheric CO2 level goals; this is where we differ. I also don't fear atmospheric levels closer to 500ppm or less than 1,000ppm, but I don't want them to fall below 300ppm if I can help it.

This has already adversely changed the atmosphere, & will continue to change it in ever-more dangerous ways.
We don't know that, there's never been a peer reviewed experimental test on climate change mitigation or showing adding or removing CO2 from the air changes atmospheric CO2 levels even the smallest measurable part per trillion or the smallest measurable global temperature change.

You are advocating a dramatic, almost incalculably expensive change in the climate of the earth.
No, I'm advocating adapting to climate change and since we can't do anything about climate change, we shouldn't bother mitigating it. I have no climate goals, plans or schemes; HSL is the one with a climate mitigation strategy; not me.

It will cause ever-worsening droughts that will cause agricultural problems & finally collapse in multiple areas. Famine, starvation, disease & war will be unavoidable. Worsening storms will cause increasing damage & flooding in other areas. Hundreds of trillions of dollars of infrastructure will be inundated.
^^^This is proof of the irrationality, there have always been "agricultural problems...[f]amine, starvation, disease & war[]. They have always been unavoidable and if you think a new carbon tax would stop it, please think again.

Please join us in the real world where storms always cause damage and flooding always happen somewhere. Don't create fake impressive propaganda claims about the dangers of climate; we know cold and heat, precipitation and drought can hurt or help, they always have.

It's true that the precise location, severity & timing of these things remain in dispute, but they WILL happen eventually if we don't change.
The reason "these things remain in dispute" is the complete lack of any published experimental test of climate change mitigation or of man made global warming by the emission of a known greenhouse gas or the extraction of a greenhouse gas from the air, that shows either a change in the quantity of that gas as part of the atmosphere or a change in climate.

People like you will have to die or get out of the way. Otherwise we won't be able to save human civilization.
If "[p]eople like you will have to die or get out of the way", then human civilization's not worth saving. I'd never advocate such inhumane treatment or bully people out of the way to protect climate. This is where we differ.

I'm sorry that your bosses & your ideology won't let you see obvious facts that are right in front of your face.
The facts are, no citation for an experimental test of climate change mitigation. Until that changes; get a grip.

Scientific facts are true no matter how much you wish they were not.
True, in science experiments are used to verify and refine theory, not consensus.

“EnvironMENTAList ”

Since: Feb 07

Near Detroit

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 30, 2013

Judged:

Science says comet hits are real but can't say a climate crisis is as real as a comet hit. Science has never said this comet hit of an emergency labeled now as “Climate Change Crisis” WILL be an actual crisis.
Not one IPCC warning report says it is inevitable or "WILL" happen only might happen and could happen and....... So why won't science end the debate by being crystal clear in stating that it WILL happen, or not? Wouldn't you want to know the truth because the only thing worse than a climate crisis is a comet, you know the "real imminent and eventual ones? Lets put an end to this costly debate get a yes or a know before we condemn our own children the greenhouse gas ovens. None of us want this misery to be true. Help my planet is on fire maybe?

“EnvironMENTAList ”

Near Detroit

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 30, 2013

Judged:

I fixed my spelling;
Science says comet hits are real but can't say a climate crisis is as real as a comet hit. Science has never said this comet hit of an emergency labeled now as “Climate Change Crisis” WILL be an actual crisis, only might be.
Not one IPCC warning report says it is inevitable or "WILL" happen, only might happen and could happen and....... So why won't science end the debate by being crystal clear in stating that it WILL happen, or not? Wouldn't you want to know the truth because the only thing worse than a climate crisis is a comet hit, you know the "real imminent and eventual ones? Lets put an end to this costly debate and get a yes or a no from the experts before we condemn our own children the greenhouse gas ovens. None of us want this misery to be true. Help my planet is on fire maybe?

Since: Aug 07

SFV

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 30, 2013

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/07/30/opinion/the...

If you can read, read this. I know it's the NYTimes a notoriously left/right wing rag. All lies because it's not funded by Chevron.
PHD

Bertram, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 31, 2013

Judged:

flack wrote:
<quoted text> It won't happen. They have drunk the Kool-ade. The biggest thing is they missed the window of opportunity on their carbon tax scam. The people woke up before they were ready. The American people for the most part know a pig in a poke when they see one.
All but the scientific science fiction useless babble scare tactic sheeplebots.

“EnvironMENTAList ”

Near Detroit

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 31, 2013

Judged:

Deny this you evil fear mongers of climate blame:

The millions of people in the global scientific community need to step up to the plate and end this costly debate. This we can all agree on denier, believer or former believer.
Science could end the debate by stating in one strong voice that a climate crisis is inevitable not just “possible” and “likely” and “maybe” a climate crisis.“Maybe” is good enough to condemn your own kids to the greenhouse gas ovens of an exaggerated crisis?
Climate change crisis is a comet hit of an emergency but while the world of science is willing to say a comet hit is real, they are not willing to day a climate crisis from Human CO2 is as real as a comet hit. Help my house could be on fire maybe? The ultimate crisis needs the ultimate in proof and certainty, not 27 more years of “maybe” a climate crisis for our children.
Not one single IPCC warning says it will happen only might happen. Not one, only could be and might be……
gcaveman1

Louin, MS

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 31, 2013

Judged:

mememine69 wrote:
Science says comet hits are real but can't say a climate crisis is as real as a comet hit. Science has never said this comet hit of an emergency labeled now as “Climate Change Crisis” WILL be an actual crisis.
Not one IPCC warning report says it is inevitable or "WILL" happen only might happen and could happen and....... So why won't science end the debate by being crystal clear in stating that it WILL happen, or not? Wouldn't you want to know the truth because the only thing worse than a climate crisis is a comet, you know the "real imminent and eventual ones? Lets put an end to this costly debate get a yes or a know before we condemn our own children the greenhouse gas ovens. None of us want this misery to be true. Help my planet is on fire maybe?
Your argument is so lame.

Let me ask; are each of you operatives assigned a particular theme by Central Control to hammer away on constantly?

Yours used to be and still is this "death by CO2 for our children". That was always lame. Lately you've added this positivity of a comet strike juxtaposed against the "possibly's" of scientific research. As if anyone but a crazy Baptist preacher would dare to make a prediction with 100% accuracy. You and the Baptist preacher are both lame. No one KNOWS the future. They are all guesses; some educated, some like yours. Maybe Central decided the CO2 killing children argument was lame too and decided to move you away from that to something (supposedly) stronger.

Brain_Gone's meme is climate mitigation. Doesn't matter whether it's lame, or wrong, or stupid; it's apparently what he was assigned by Central Control and that's his theme.

Gord SUX Obama's is his 2nd Law befuddlement. Teener's is that it happens all the time. A few other's, whose pay obviously matches their intellect, is that "it isn't happening", "it's the sun", or some other foolishness. Central is trying to cover all the bases but has trouble finding people smart enough to sustain a debate.

You want to know our theme? not ordered by any central command?

It's that yall don't know Jack.

Since: Mar 09

Wichita, KS

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 31, 2013

Judged:

gcaveman1 wrote:
<quoted text>
Your argument is so lame.
Let me ask; are each of you operatives assigned a particular theme by Central Control to hammer away on constantly?
Yours used to be and still is this "death by CO2 for our children". That was always lame. Lately you've added this positivity of a comet strike juxtaposed against the "possibly's" of scientific research. As if anyone but a crazy Baptist preacher would dare to make a prediction with 100% accuracy. You and the Baptist preacher are both lame. No one KNOWS the future. They are all guesses; some educated, some like yours. Maybe Central decided the CO2 killing children argument was lame too and decided to move you away from that to something (supposedly) stronger.
Brain_Gone's meme is climate mitigation. Doesn't matter whether it's lame, or wrong, or stupid; it's apparently what he was assigned by Central Control and that's his theme.
Gord SUX Obama's is his 2nd Law befuddlement. Teener's is that it happens all the time. A few other's, whose pay obviously matches their intellect, is that "it isn't happening", "it's the sun", or some other foolishness. Central is trying to cover all the bases but has trouble finding people smart enough to sustain a debate.
You want to know our theme? not ordered by any central command?
It's that yall don't know Jack.
They are simply disruptors. It is counter productive to try to discuss ideas with any of them. They have no desire of finding truths. I am sure each of them knows that their arguments are more than lame, that they are simply wrong.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 32,861 - 32,880 of45,499
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

32 Users are viewing the Chicago Forum right now

Search the Chicago Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 4 min shinningelectr0n 1,072,397
IL Who do you support for Governor in Illinois in ... (Oct '10) 13 min Midlothian Composer 3,817
Topix Chitown Regulars (Aug '09) 22 min PEllen 97,437
Stop Blaming Chicago Police 34 min SuperMcCarthy is an idiot 4
Beach Towel Racism 43 min needs another read 30
Last word + 2 (Mar '12) 59 min andet1987 397
BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting... (Jan '09) 1 hr LRS 173,641
•••
•••
•••
•••

Chicago Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000