Once slow-moving threat, global warmi...

Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds up, leaving litt...

There are 62306 comments on the Newsday story from Dec 14, 2008, titled Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds up, leaving litt.... In it, Newsday reports that:

When Bill Clinton took office in 1993, global warming was a slow-moving environmental problem that was easy to ignore.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Newsday.

Reddy Kilowatt

San Francisco, CA

#34845 Apr 1, 2013
HomoSapiensLaptopicus wrote:
<quoted text>
You can repeat your arrant equine excrement as much as you want; it'll still stink.
You're a fool & a MOR0N if you don't fear CO levels of 1000 PPM. That would cause a MUCH warmer, ice-free earth, with temps 20 or 30º C warmer. Humans would not be happy. Sea level would be ~75 meters higher. Billons would die because droughts would kill agriculture.
Our sun is ~3% stronger than it was in the Carboniferous; believe it or not, that matters - a LOT. But you just maintain your "what - me worry?" attitude.
Since you people refuse to prove that your actions won't kill billions of people, & our best evidence suggests they almost certainly will, why don't we do the experiment? Just like others have said, let's get atmospheric CO2 down to 350 PPM. GREAT idea!!
That way you could maintain an ethical stance. Maybe future generations won't consider you responsible the worst mass murder in history.
Oh, believe me, you WILL die or get out of the way of climate change mitigation & CO2 reduction. That's not a threat, it's a guarantee.
It's unbelievable how much your progeny will despise you. I guess it's comforting for you to be in this profound denial. It lets you spew this incessant stream of equine excrement from your brain cavity to the outside world.
A pretty self-righteous lecture from someone who is standing in the way by their own inaction and hand-wringing of replacing all US carbon-fueled base load electric power generation with modern nuclear - the ONLY available strategy that bends the carbon curve down meaningfully in the immediate short-term.

litesong

Lynnwood, WA

#34846 Apr 1, 2013
rundown kilowatt wrote:
....... pretty self-righteous lecture
"rundown kilowatt" is jealous, since it has no righteousness(& no right science & mathematics) of its own.
TrollBot

San Francisco, CA

#34847 Apr 1, 2013
dimbulb wrote:
<quoted text>
(Another juvenile and inane troll snipped)
Troll. Ignore.

"Helping ignore trolls until Topix lets you killfile the scum."
SpaceBlues

Houston, TX

#34848 Apr 1, 2013
Reddy Kilowatt wrote:
<quoted text>to another poster:

A pretty self-righteous lecture from someone who is standing in the way by their own inaction and hand-wringing of replacing all US carbon-fueled base load electric power generation with modern nuclear - the ONLY available strategy that bends the carbon curve down meaningfully in the immediate short-term.
You are unready watt!

You have no watt to sell except your hatred for others.
TrollBot

San Francisco, CA

#34849 Apr 1, 2013
Space-Case wrote:
<quoted text>
(Another juvenile and content-free inane troll snipped)
Troll. Ignore.

"Helping ignore trolls until Topix lets you killfile the scum."
PHD

Thornton, TX

#34850 Apr 1, 2013
litesong wrote:
<quoted text>
"rundown kilowatt" is jealous, since it has no righteousness(& no right science & mathematics) of its own.
More and more that’s all the "pinheadlitesout" have more and more diarrheas.
p dantz

Portage, MI

#34851 Apr 1, 2013
Even if they could prove its man made, nobody is going to regulate the monoplies we have on this globe in a market that is not free and really never was. Who do you assholes think is going to have to pay or sacrifice their wealth and freedom to "cool" the globe???:-$
PHD

Thornton, TX

#34852 Apr 1, 2013
The above scientific science fiction posers.They use scare tactics to support their evil aganda. Follow the money.
p dantz

Portage, MI

#34853 Apr 1, 2013
dekajed wrote:
http://www.nytimes.com/2012/07 /30/opinion/the-conversion-of- a-climate-change-skeptic.html? pagewanted=all&_r=0
If you can read, read this. I know it's the NYTimes a notoriously left/right wing rag. All lies because it's not funded by Chevron.
no but its owned by the same banks and they are in the same special club chevron is in. Its called the c.f.r. and they publicly state they try to meet with many other big corporations to try to cherry pick the news to "shape" public opinion of foreign policy. Many member corporations are not american. Many big money beltway politicians are also members. Just saying that they all meet together!
SpaceBlues

Houston, TX

#34854 Apr 1, 2013
PHD

Thornton, TX

#34855 Apr 1, 2013
SpaceBlues wrote:
So prove it with your peer reviewed published work.
SpaceBlues

Houston, TX

#34856 Apr 1, 2013
Teddy-are is big-hater aka unready-watt aka troll-bot.

But why?
PHD

Thornton, TX

#34857 Apr 1, 2013
SpaceBlues wrote:
Teddy-are is big-hater aka unready-watt aka troll-bot.
But why?
So you can prove it with your peer reviewed published work.
litesong

Lynnwood, WA

#34858 Apr 1, 2013
"fetid feces face flip flopper fiend' flops:
diarrhea.......
//////////
litesong wrote:
Can't be nice, if any AGW advocate wants to tell the truth about 'fetid feces face flip flopper fiend'.
'fetid feces face flip flopper fiend' can't ask a proper scientific question because it never had science, chemistry, astronomy, physics, algebra or pre-calc in its poorly earned hi skule DEE-plooomaa. Of course,'fetid feces face flip flopper fiend' never had any other science or mathematics training.
At least,'brian_g stumble butt dumpster diver' tried math calculations, tho only a few attempts ended in errors of 1 million TIMES, 1000 TIMES, 3000 TIMES & 73 million TIMES.'fetid feces face flip flopper fiend' has never attempted math calculations, which prove that its proficiency in math is worse than that of 'brian_g stumble butt dumpster diver'.

Since: Jan 13

Location hidden

#34859 Apr 1, 2013
Reddy Kilowatt wrote:
<quoted text>
A pretty self-righteous lecture from someone who is standing in the way by their own inaction and hand-wringing of replacing all US carbon-fueled base load electric power generation with modern nuclear - the ONLY available strategy that bends the carbon curve down meaningfully in the immediate short-term.
Excuse me?

You think I'm anti-nuke? Guess again. I've only tried to get you to be realistic about politics & lead times.

Yes, we do need modern nuclear plants - but that will take time. In the meantime, conservation is faster.

Right now, the barriers to nuclear are financial. No utility wants to commit to building a plant if they can't predict the market 20 years from now. It'd require leadership. Also a carbon tax to get people to understand the TRUE cost of burning Ffs.
PHD

Thornton, TX

#34860 Apr 2, 2013
litesong wrote:
"fetid feces face flip flopper fiend' flops:
diarrhea.......
//////////
litesong wrote:
Can't be nice, if any AGW advocate wants to tell the truth about 'fetid feces face flip flopper fiend'.
'fetid feces face flip flopper fiend' can't ask a proper scientific question because it never had science, chemistry, astronomy, physics, algebra or pre-calc in its poorly earned hi skule DEE-plooomaa. Of course,'fetid feces face flip flopper fiend' never had any other science or mathematics training.
At least,'brian_g stumble butt dumpster diver' tried math calculations, tho only a few attempts ended in errors of 1 million TIMES, 1000 TIMES, 3000 TIMES & 73 million TIMES.'fetid feces face flip flopper fiend' has never attempted math calculations, which prove that its proficiency in math is worse than that of 'brian_g stumble butt dumpster diver'.
More and More Diarrheas from the “pinheadlitesout”.

“EnvironMENTAList ”

Since: Feb 07

Near Detroit

#34861 Apr 2, 2013
Just look how pathetic you doomers are now:
*Occupywallstreet does not even mention CO2 in its list of demands because of the bank-funded carbon trading stock markets ruled by corporations and trustworthy politicians.
*Obama has not mentioned the crisis in the last two State of the Unions addresses.
*In all of the debates Obama hadn’t planned to mention climate change once.
*Julian Assange is of course a climate change denier.
*Canada killed Y2Kyoto with a freely elected climate change denying prime minister and nobody cared, especially the millions of scientists warning us of unstoppable warming (a comet hit).

“Stop the Brain Rot”

Since: Jan 12

Take a Looonng Vacation

#34862 Apr 2, 2013
HomoSapiensLaptopicus wrote:
..EDITED....
Right now, the barriers to nuclear are financial. No utility wants to commit to building a plant if they can't predict the market 20 years from now. It'd require leadership....EDITED....
And the need to explain to people how Chernobyl and Fukushima were just flukey accidents and it 'can't happen here'.....:(

“Stop the Brain Rot”

Since: Jan 12

Take a Looonng Vacation

#34863 Apr 2, 2013
mememine69 wrote:
Just look how pathetic you doomers are now:
*Occupywallstreet does not even mention CO2 in its list of demands because of the bank-funded carbon trading stock markets ruled by corporations and trustworthy politicians.
*Obama has not mentioned the crisis in the last two State of the Unions addresses.
*In all of the debates Obama hadn’t planned to mention climate change once.
*Julian Assange is of course a climate change denier.
*Canada killed Y2Kyoto with a freely elected climate change denying prime minister and nobody cared, especially the millions of scientists warning us of unstoppable warming (a comet hit).
It won't matter until it's too late, then scumbags like you will be crying your eyes out and blaming scientists and government for doing nothing.

That'll be the ONE funny thing about runaway global warming...
SpaceBlues

Houston, TX

#34864 Apr 2, 2013
tha Professor wrote:
<quoted text>
And the need to explain to people how Chernobyl and Fukushima were just flukey accidents and it 'can't happen here'.....:(
Well-said.

Poster unready-nanowatt praises a nonexistent "modern" reactor with unknown safety record. He loves it so much that he lashes out at scientists for not agreeing with him.

LOL.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Chicago Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 3 min Grey Ghost 1,458,045
Should TRUMP use this? 1 hr ITs TRUE--YES 4 SURE 8
News BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting... (Jan '09) 2 hr District 1 230,986
The Color of Crime in Chicago. 2 hr PALADIN 13
Are democrats destroyed? 2 hr HaveGun-WillTravel 1
News Israeli troops begin Gaza pullout as Hamas decl... (Jan '09) 3 hr Ize Found 71,233
Four letter word game (Dec '11) 4 hr GEORGIA 2,274
Topix Chitown Regulars (Aug '09) 7 hr CrunchyBacon 104,506

Chicago Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Chicago Mortgages