Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds up, leaving litt...

Full story: Newsday 47,585
When Bill Clinton took office in 1993, global warming was a slow-moving environmental problem that was easy to ignore. Full Story

“fairtax.org”

Since: Dec 08

gauley bridge wv

#34782 Mar 28, 2013
HomoSapiensLaptopicus wrote:
<quoted text>
It would be better if we could do more mining & construction actvities with lower carbon energy. Hopefully it'll be possble in the future.
There are some green(ish) technologies that are already price-competitive with fossil fuels: geothermal, hydropower, wind. And that's without a carbon tax or carbon sequestraion, which will certainly be necessary in the future.
Considerable research is still being done on other forms of hydropower (current, wave, tide, etc). Photovoltaic power is still a ways off, but passive solar heating systems work quite well.
Actually, lots of birds die in collisions with skyscrapers & motor vehicles; it isn't just windmills that kill them. And I HOPE you're not putting much trust in the journalistic standards of the telegraph.co.uk. They often don't "rise" to the level of the National Enquirer.
Lastly, if we could ever mine the Helium-3 in the lunar mare & develop fusion that emitted few neutrons, we'd have barely conceivable amounts of energy available. The reactions without D2O run hotter, though.
That last paragraph will happen in the next twenty years.Eight countries and a couple of corporations are presently planning on moon bases by 2025 to study just that. Best part is everything can be built on the moon. The is enough water on the moon to fill all of the Great Lakes.

“fairtax.org”

gauley bridge wv

#34783 Mar 28, 2013
PHD wrote:
Maybe it's the natural cycle of climate change. They really don't know.
i remember reading somewhere about people moaning about a glacier melting. When lo and behold they found a mining camp and a whole town that was buried under the ice! Now I just wonder 'How did that get there?'
PHD

Overton, TX

#34784 Mar 28, 2013
gcaveman1 wrote:
<quoted text>
Maybe you're a donkey. We really don't know.
No maybe we already know your a Dumb ASSumption of your---self. Now big mouth post your peer reviewed published work and defends your Dumb ASSumption you make of your---self.
Reddy Kilowatt

Houston, TX

#34785 Mar 28, 2013
gcaveman1 wrote:
<quoted text>
The first car didn't do 235 mph.
The first flight of an airplane was not transcontinental.
The first space mission did not go to Mars.
These things take time. When you grow up, you'll understand.
BS rationalization of continuing to sit on the AGW waaaambulance, thinking well of yourself for spinning pie-in-the-sky pipedreams while doing NOTHING to promptly and effectively attack the root of the problem with the means we have readily available TODAY.

In modern nuclear, and ONLY in modern nuclear, we already have at hand the green, renewable, sustainable, fully-developed, commercial-scale, economically feasible, and fully mature technological means of COMPLETELY ELIMINATING carbon-fueled base-load electric power generation in the US within THIS GENERATION.

Wake up. Get real. Start acting like you believe this actually is the red-lights-and-siren planetary emergency you and your fellow internet hero fake "scientist" AGW jihadis are constantly hand-waving and screaming about.

Time to start walking the talk. You're either part of the solution or you're part of the problem.
PHD

Overton, TX

#34787 Mar 28, 2013
Reddy Kilowatt wrote:
<quoted text>
BS rationalization of continuing to sit on the AGW waaaambulance, thinking well of yourself for spinning pie-in-the-sky pipedreams while doing NOTHING to promptly and effectively attack the root of the problem with the means we have readily available TODAY.
In modern nuclear, and ONLY in modern nuclear, we already have at hand the green, renewable, sustainable, fully-developed, commercial-scale, economically feasible, and fully mature technological means of COMPLETELY ELIMINATING carbon-fueled base-load electric power generation in the US within THIS GENERATION.
Wake up. Get real. Start acting like you believe this actually is the red-lights-and-siren planetary emergency you and your fellow internet hero fake "scientist" AGW jihadis are constantly hand-waving and screaming about.
Time to start walking the talk. You're either part of the solution or you're part of the problem.
They are the problem no part of.

Since: Jan 13

Location hidden

#34788 Mar 28, 2013
Reddy Kilowatt wrote:
<quoted text>
Reddy

As you know, in general I'm pro-nuclear, with some reservations. But in the real world, even today's reactors have lead times of 15-20 years counting the required bureacracy & construction. They cost a lot of money.

The newer reactors like the fast neutron "breeder" types have been operated for a long time, but they haven't been commercialized. Realistically, that'll mean another delay.

People just won't tolerate accidents - they are deathly, perhaps irrationally (coal kills thousands of people annually, after all, but doesn't scare people nearly as much), afraid of them. The extensive safety efforts that cause delays are not going to go away.

Realistically, new nuclear plants are simply not a panacea. Ongoing conservation efforts, & some green energy projects, are much faster & cheaper. New nukes might be a good way of making up for the energy we need when green energy isn't available, but they'll take a while.

“I Luv Carbon Dioxide”

Location hidden

#34789 Mar 28, 2013
gcaveman1 wrote:
In your anal-obsessive rulebook, experiments aren't done by accident, but of course, you're wrong. Nature has been experimenting for eons; it's called evolution. But then, you don't believe in that either. After all, there's no experiment to test it, is there?
There are entire journals of experimental evolutionary science. Add to that the fact that when the progressives wanted to mitigate evolution, they committed genocidal crimes. Mitigation isn't always good for people, ask the African Americans who didn't consent to sterilization.

Nature doesn't experiment, only sentient beings can experiment since it is a goal oriented procedure used to test theory.

gcaveman1 wrote:
There was never a purposeful experiment proving that an atomic bomb was possible. They had to acually set one off to test the theory. Don't you get tired of being wrong all the time?
There were plenty of experiments on nuclear chain reactions, then the bomb was again experimentally tested before being used in war.

gcaveman1 sure doesn't have a good grasp on how technology develops and experiments refine theory. Not surprising, if you consider his global warming alarmism. The fear of catastrophic man made climate change is based on emotion, not science.
gcaveman1

Laurel, MS

#34790 Mar 28, 2013
PHD wrote:
<quoted text>No maybe we already know your a Dumb ASSumption of your---self. Now big mouth post your peer reviewed published work and defends your Dumb ASSumption you make of your---self.
It's out there. Look it up, dear.
gcaveman1

Laurel, MS

#34791 Mar 28, 2013
Reddy Kilowatt wrote:
<quoted text>
And what are you doing?

nuthin

I have a solar house. I have a solar water heater. Almost all my lightbulbs are curly CFB's. I combine multi-tasking trips to town.

I do what I can. Don't talk about what you don't know; you only demonstrate your terminal ignorance.
gcaveman1

Laurel, MS

#34792 Mar 28, 2013
Brian_G wrote:
<quoted text>There are entire journals of experimental evolutionary science. Add to that the fact that when the progressives wanted to mitigate evolution, they committed genocidal crimes. Mitigation isn't always good for people, ask the African Americans who didn't consent to sterilization.
Nature doesn't experiment, only sentient beings can experiment since it is a goal oriented procedure used to test theory.
<quoted text>There were plenty of experiments on nuclear chain reactions, then the bomb was again experimentally tested before being used in war.
gcaveman1 sure doesn't have a good grasp on how technology develops and experiments refine theory. Not surprising, if you consider his global warming alarmism. The fear of catastrophic man made climate change is based on emotion, not science.
There hasn't been an experiment progressing a dinosaur to a bird. That the kind of experiment you want done for global warming.

There wasn't an experiment before the first bomb. They had an idea, a theory, but they didn't know the total power and extent. That's you want with climate warming mitigation.

You funny.

“I Luv Carbon Dioxide”

Location hidden

#34793 Mar 28, 2013
gcaveman1 wrote:
There hasn't been an experiment progressing a dinosaur to a bird.
No, there's been experiments that show the effects of mutation but not an entire phylum evolving from another phylum. We have real world experimental results and we don't need to mitigate evolution.

If gcavman1 wanted to mitigate bird evolution, I'd need to test that mitigation on a smaller scale before supporting the policy.

gcaveman1 wrote:
That the kind of experiment you want done for global warming.
We need an experiment that shows the smallest measurable man made climate change, that's not the same as evolving dinosaurs into birds.

gcaveman1 wrote:
There wasn't an experiment before the first bomb.
There were thousands of experiments before the first bomb, showing the effects of nuclear chain reaction.

gcaveman1 wrote:
They had an idea, a theory, but they didn't know the total power and extent.
Then they experimentally tested the bomb before they used it in the war. They had a good idea of the power, since stayed out of the blast radius while watching the test.

gcaveman1 wrote:
That's you want with climate warming mitigation. You funny.
I want to see a compelling test of climate change mitigation before I buy in, show us how much good it might do at what cost. Every other technology is tested before its implemented, you don't take untested drugs. Why less safety when it comes to our planet's climate?
PHD

Overton, TX

#34794 Mar 29, 2013
gcaveman1 wrote:
<quoted text>
It's out there. Look it up, dear.
No maybe we already know your a Dumb ASSumption of your---self. Now big mouth post your peer reviewed published work and defends your Dumb ASSumption you make of your---self. Now you look it up.

Since: Jan 13

Location hidden

#34796 Mar 29, 2013
Brian_G wrote:
<quoted text>
<quoted text>I want to see a compelling test of climate change mitigation before I buy in, show us how much good it might do at what cost. Every other technology is tested before its implemented, you don't take untested drugs. Why less safety when it comes to our planet's climate?
Once AGAIN, the onus is not on climatologists to prove mitigation works, the onus is on YOU to prove it's safe, because you people are the ones who want to change the atmosphere. You want to dump billions, eventually trillions, of tons of CO2 into the atmosphere.

If nuclear physicists wanted to release trillions of tons of radioactive material into the atmosphere, would the onus be on the rest of us to prove that not releasing it would be beneficial? Of course not. It'd be on the physicists to prove it was safe.

So get busy & start proving that dumping enormous amounts of carbon into the atmosphere will be safe.

Sorry, Brain_Gone, you lose the argument. It's just that you're selfish, venal, invidious, profligate & sociopathic enough to force your filth on the rest of us.

Since: Jan 10

Location hidden

#34797 Mar 29, 2013
Ribbet.

“I Luv Carbon Dioxide”

Location hidden

#34798 Mar 29, 2013
Once AGAIN, the onus is not on climatologists to prove mitigation works, the onus is on YOU to prove it's safe, because you people are the ones who want to change the atmosphere.
No, the atmosphere always changes, it's like a flowing stream. I'm not the one proposing a carbon tax, I don't have to prove anything is 'safe'. I don't want to mitigate climate change, I've got nothing to prove. I believe man made catastrophic climate change is a mass hysteria - it's up to scientists to prepare, perform, publish and teach about experimental tests for their theories and suppositions.

You want to dump billions, eventually trillions, of tons of CO2 into the atmosphere.
The word 'dump' isn't accurate, carbon dioxide is released or freed into the atmosphere. Dump implies a gravitational effect.

Let's get real, I'll never release, free or "billions, eventually trillions, of tons of CO2 into the atmosphere." That's way beyond my personal abilities. I want everyone to have the right to free CO2 into the air and use as much as they please. I'm not about pricing carbon or favoring a climate tax.

If nuclear physicists wanted to release trillions of tons of radioactive material into the atmosphere, would the onus be on the rest of us to prove that not releasing it would be beneficial? Of course not.
Trillions of tons of radioactive material, where would they find it all? I'd be skeptical.

Also, CO2 isn't radioactive, poisonous or toxic at atmospheric levels.

It'd be on the physicists to prove it was safe.
I'm not a scientist, I don't do experimental tests for my living. It's up to scientists to prove the science.

So get busy & start proving that dumping enormous amounts of carbon into the atmosphere will be safe.
Geological activity changing the atmosphere is more than 4 billion years old. Animal life has existed for and added CO2 to the atmosphere for more than 3.5 billion years ago. I think nature has adapted to carbon dioxide emissions by now.

Sorry, Brain_Gone, you lose the argument. It's just that you're selfish, venal, invidious, profligate & sociopathic enough to force your filth on the rest of us.
^^^I don't insult other posters, I don't need to use irrational ad homiem arguments because science is on my side.
SpaceBlues

Houston, TX

#34799 Mar 29, 2013
Brian_G wrote:
<quoted text>.
YourTrillions of tons of radioactive material, where would they find it all? I'd be skeptical.
Also, CO2 isn't radioactive, poisonous or toxic at atmospheric levels.
<quoted text>I'm not a scientist, I don't do experimental tests for my living. It's up to scientists to prove the science.
No, you are not a scientist. Your posts inform us of your ignorance.

For example, you don't know that fossil fuels are radioactive, so are their combustion products.

It isn't just the mercury and other toxic elements and their compounds but also, radioactive compounds.

Why are the tall stacks, etc.?
SpaceBlues

Houston, TX

#34800 Mar 29, 2013
Rising atmospheric greenhouse gas concentrations not only lead to global warming but also to increased climate variability and extreme weather situations. Within the past decade an exceptionally high number of extreme heat waves occurred around the globe: Record breaking temperatures hit central Western Europe in 2003, causing a large number of fatalities due to heat stress. In South-Eastern Europe dramatic wildfires ravaged in 2007, especially in Greece. Together with huge forest fires, an extraordinary heat wave with record temperatures led to a high and long-lasting air pollution in western Russia in 2010. The drought in 2011-2012 was reported to be one of the most severe ever recorded in the United States, with an economic loss of billions of dollars and heavy crop failures.

Not only severe droughts and heat waves but also extreme precipitation and windstorms can impact the structure, composition, and functioning of terrestrial ecosystems. The importance of extreme climatic events for the carbon balance became clear after the 2003 heat wave in Central and Southern Europe. Triggered by this month-long anomaly, the ecosystems lost as much CO2 as they had absorbed from the atmosphere through the previous four years under normal weather conditions.

Recent evidence also suggests that extreme weather may influence the carbon balance of our terrestrial biosphere such that it accelerates climate change. Co-organizers Dr. Michael Bahn, Associate Professor at University of Innsbruck, and Dr. Markus Reichstein, Max-Planck Director at the Max-Planck Institute for Biogeochemistry, Jena, state unanimously:“Several lines of evidence indicate water-cycle extremes, in particular droughts, being a dominant risk for the carbon cycle in large parts of Europe. The largest and most diverse and enduring effects of extreme events are expected in forests.”
SpaceBlues

Houston, TX

#34801 Mar 29, 2013
gcaveman1 wrote:
<quoted text>
Brain has called in reinforcements....
np.

B_gone does not even admit the fossil fuel radioactivity. Public is not fooled by him!
Teddy R

Houston, TX

#34802 Mar 29, 2013

Since: Jan 10

Location hidden

#34803 Mar 29, 2013
BOO!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Chicago Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 6 min forks_make_us_fat 1,129,194
BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting... (Jan '09) 7 min Indemnity 179,658
Topix Chitown Regulars (Aug '09) 12 min RACE 98,556
Abby 10-30 17 min RACE 14
Messianic Jews say they are persecuted in Israel (Jun '08) 39 min Frijoles 70,146
Ill. House Approves Legalizing Same-Sex Civil U... (Dec '10) 2 hr Boy G 50,755
Amy 10-30 3 hr edogxxx 11
Chicago Dating
Find my Match

Chicago People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Chicago News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Chicago

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]