Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds up, leaving litt...

Full story: Newsday

When Bill Clinton took office in 1993, global warming was a slow-moving environmental problem that was easy to ignore.
Comments
32,481 - 32,500 of 46,326 Comments Last updated 8 hrs ago

“EnvironMENTAList ”

Since: Feb 07

Near Detroit

#34445 Feb 23, 2013
If condemning your kids and billions of other helpless children to the greenhouse gas ovens of a climate change crisis comes so easily and casually to you, maybe you just hate humanity more than you love the planet. At least Bush didn’t issue CO2 death threats to my kids with “his” Iraq False-War without a real enemy.

Since: Jan 13

Location hidden

#34446 Feb 23, 2013
gcaveman1 wrote:
Adm. David Titley, USN (RET.)
It’s all about the water... for the first time in 500 years we’re opening a new ocean to navigation. The last guy who did that was Christopher Columbus.
Until 2005, the Arctic Polar ice cap consisted mostly of multi-year ice — ice that had formed two or more years before the date of measurement and was generally 2 to 4 meters (6.6 to 13 feet) thick and much harder to break through than first-year ice. Since 2007, most Arctic ice is now less than a year old and less than one meter thick. Climate scientists now expect that by 2030 much of the Arctic Ocean will be free of ice several months a year...
The "official" estimate for when the Arctic Ocean would be ice-free in September used to be 2050, then 2040, then 2030. Now it's 2020. But look at the raw volume data & it looks like it'll be gone by 2016 or 2017. Look at the upper left graph (or the others):

https://sites.google.com/site/arctischepingui...

Location hidden

#34447 Feb 23, 2013
gcaveman1 wrote:
<quoted text>
Being from Mississippi, I know I have suffered from small-town syndrome at times. But I remember well going to NYC, DC, Atlanta, Miami, and New Orleans as a teenager. And my recent forays up to Chicago have increased my ability to stand back and look at this mindset with acute clarity.
To coin a phrase....the world is a big place.
I suppose deniers think that there are a few dozen, mostly American, climate science manipulators involved in this global warming "hoax". I think they have that small town sensibility.
Because to think that this is a conspiracy, a government plot, is to think that these scientists can be like those crooked lawyers in town; just a few, but thoroughly dishonest.
When there are thousands of scientists, in dozens of disciplines, in a hundred countries, speaking a hundred languages, taking measurements with thousands of instruments, recoding miles of data, and checking each others work, both in the field and back at the lab.........and deniers think that these professionals are all working toward the common goal of fooling everyone for the benefit of the government? That these thousands of people are all crooks, they change the numbers, they fake the photos, they record their data falsely, furtively, instead of taking pride in a job well done? Man, deniers have a piss-poor attitudde about human nature.
Whose government? For what purpose? To raise taxes on their relatives and neighbors? What logic is in that? Are German and Swedish and Colombian scientists are running this scam to make Americans pay more in taxes? Governments are giving grants to these guys so they can raise taxes? Have you been awake the past twelve years and seen what has happened with taxes? Whoever this "government" is, he must have more compliant people that what we see in Washington.
It's just ridiculous. I wish a denier could explain how all that works but I don't think they can. It's just too complicated and purposeless to exist.
Very well-said, caveman - for a Mississippian (just kidding! LOL).

During Cheneybush, the oil companies (plus the military-industrial complex - often the same people) owned effectively all the US government. Now they own less of it.

So the truth has at least a chance of coming out. Still, they are a formidable enemy, with almost unlimited amounts of money available to spend to confuse people.
gcaveman1

Bay Springs, MS

#34449 Feb 23, 2013
HomoSapiensLaptopicus wrote:
<quoted text>
http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php...
Lauging so hard my sombrero falls off and I drop my taco
OK, I am now educated.

But my white gringo ass may not have the right to use that one,,,,

Location hidden

#34450 Feb 23, 2013
gcaveman1 wrote:
<quoted text>
OK, I am now educated.
But my white gringo ass may not have the right to use that one,,,,
Gringos are allowed to wear sombreros - & DEFINITELY to eat tacos.
gcaveman1

Bay Springs, MS

#34451 Feb 23, 2013
The Koch brothers have postponed their January meet to April -June.. They want to take some time to analyze why they lost the 2012 election.

I say "they" because they made a substantial investment, over a billion dollars.

I could help them out, but maybe they'll come to the correct conclusions.

They're assholes.
gcaveman1

Bay Springs, MS

#34452 Feb 23, 2013
<quoted text>
http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php...
Lauging so hard my sombrero falls off and I drop my taco
Sounds ethnic.

You may be Latino, or you may choose not to answer.

In Mississippi, we sometimes say, LSHIDMYBBQCWOMBAHAGIFAR.

OR: LAUGHED SO HARD I DROPPED MY BAR-B-QUE CHICKEN WING ON MY BEER AND HAD A GREAT IDEA FOR A RESTAURANT.
gcaveman1

Bay Springs, MS

#34453 Feb 23, 2013
I'm a taco-eatin fool. I might need a sombrero in this coming brutal spring and summer sun.

I can even turn brown.

I'll think about it. It ain't easy for a gringo to go Latino....
kristy

Oviedo, FL

#34454 Feb 23, 2013
gcaveman1 wrote:
Adm. David Titley, USN (RET.)
It’s all about the water.
Okay, it’s partly about food and energy, too. But from a national security perspective, climate change is all about the water: where it is or isn’t, how much or how little there is, how quickly it changes from one state (e.g., solid ice to liquid water) to another.
Because of the effects of climate change in the Arctic, for the first time in 500 years we’re opening a new ocean to navigation. The last guy who did that was Christopher Columbus.
Until 2005, the Arctic Polar ice cap consisted mostly of multi-year ice — ice that had formed two or more years before the date of measurement and was generally 2 to 4 meters (6.6 to 13 feet) thick and much harder to break through than first-year ice. Since 2007, most Arctic ice is now less than a year old and less than one meter thick. Climate scientists now expect that by 2030 much of the Arctic Ocean will be free of ice several months a year, opening it for commercial navigation just as the Baltic Sea is now.
The opening of the Arctic is the most immediate national security challenge presented by climate change.
Super good news for the Arctic. The newest and best modeling shows more snow for the polar regions. Global warming it seems increases snow in these areas, as to the old science of yesterday when it was thought that global warming would melt the polar icecaps.

From the paper published in Journal of Climate: In very cold regions of the globe, how­ever, snow­fall will rise because as air warms it can hold more mois­ture, lead­ing to increased pre­cip­i­ta­tion in the form of snow. The researchers found that regions in and around the Arc­tic and Antarc­tica will get more snow than they now receive.

http://blogs.princeton.edu/research/2013/02/2...

Location hidden

#34455 Feb 23, 2013
gcaveman1 wrote:
<quoted text>
Sounds ethnic.
You may be Latino, or you may choose not to answer.
In Mississippi, we sometimes say, LSHIDMYBBQCWOMBAHAGIFAR.
OR: LAUGHED SO HARD I DROPPED MY BAR-B-QUE CHICKEN WING ON MY BEER AND HAD A GREAT IDEA FOR A RESTAURANT.
I'm LSHIDMYBBQCWOMBAHAGIFAR!
Hmmm. Italian is pretty much gringo... but maybe a bit Latino too, IDK...

“obamabot livs”

Location hidden

#34456 Feb 23, 2013
gcaveman1 wrote:
<quoted text>
SO
WHAT?
What does this prove?
Besides the fact that you are a Fox News dittohead?
Fox News, known for its unfair and unbalanced news, and its unbalanced staff.
Are u already reduced to lies? I guess you don't mind footing the bill for these green failures, if u even pay taxes.

Which ones I listed didn't fail? And cost us money?

Location hidden

#34457 Feb 23, 2013
kristy wrote:
<quoted text>
Super good news for the Arctic. The newest and best modeling shows more snow for the polar regions. Global warming it seems increases snow in these areas, as to the old science of yesterday when it was thought that global warming would melt the polar icecaps.
From the paper published in Journal of Climate: In very cold regions of the globe, how­ever, snow­fall will rise because as air warms it can hold more mois­ture, lead­ing to increased pre­cip­i­ta­tion in the form of snow. The researchers found that regions in and around the Arc­tic and Antarc­tica will get more snow than they now receive.
Maybe good news for the Arctic & Antarctic, but not so good for places like the central & mountain US, where it'll be drier (according to this model). Ouch.
kristy

Oviedo, FL

#34460 Feb 24, 2013
<quoted text>
Maybe good news for the Arctic & Antarctic, but not so good for places like the central & mountain US, where it'll be drier (according to this model). Ouch.
The increase in polar snow means the oceans won't be rising as predicted. The glaciers won't be receding as predicted. Global warming causes the warm air to hold more moisture, so as long as the coastal regions hit freezing, they should still get snow. So you should be happy to not have to worry about that arctic melt anymore and that the seas won't be rising at a catastophic rate. Crisis averted thanks to new and improved computer modeling.

Since: Apr 08

"the green troll"

#34462 Feb 24, 2013
kristy wrote:
<quoted text>
The increase in polar snow means the oceans won't be rising as predicted.
Not true.

Location hidden

#34463 Feb 24, 2013
kristy wrote:
<quoted text>
The increase in polar snow means the oceans won't be rising as predicted. The glaciers won't be receding as predicted. Global warming causes the warm air to hold more moisture, so as long as the coastal regions hit freezing, they should still get snow. So you should be happy to not have to worry about that arctic melt anymore and that the seas won't be rising at a catastophic rate. Crisis averted thanks to new and improved computer modeling.
Your cavalier attitude seems a bit dangerous given the study & the facts. Snow can still melt, albedo can still fall.

When you say we can "not worry about the Arctic melt any more," that's just crazy. The Arctic Ocean icepack will probably be gone in September within the next few years. Water has a lower albedo than ice.

These are not good things. This comes under the general category of "DUH." Look at the upper left graph (or any others if you want):

https://sites.google.com/site/arctischepingui...

Location hidden

#34464 Feb 24, 2013
Fair Game wrote:
<quoted text>
Not true.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =o4oMsfa_30QXX
GREAT Richard Alley vid, with links to others. In the dictionary under "science nerd," there's a picture of him, but he makes it very interesting.

Thanks FG.
gcaveman1

Bay Springs, MS

#34465 Feb 24, 2013
marlowe44 wrote:
<quoted text>
Are u already reduced to lies? I guess you don't mind footing the bill for these green failures, if u even pay taxes.
Which ones I listed didn't fail? And cost us money?
I don't lie.

It's complicated. You, obviously, are not.

We all foot the bill for fossil fuel subsidies and tax breaks. You have no objection to that? When they are making record profits and don't appear to need in help from the taxpayers?

The markets for alternative energy are sometimes shaky, depending on the vagaries of the economy and the price of oil. Not proposing conspiracy here, but it seems like the price of oil goes down whenever solar and wind power begin to grow.

Seems you need the same reminder Teener, the Valley Girl, needed. With new technology, progress is usually in fits and starts. The first automobile didn't do 200 miles per hour. The first airplane did not make a transcontinental flight. The first space flight did not journey to Mars. You could not play "Call of Duty" on the first computers.

The first humans didn't build ships on frozen rivers as Teener insists. Maybe we should start calling you "Valley Boy"?
gcaveman1

Bay Springs, MS

#34466 Feb 24, 2013
kristy wrote:
<quoted text>
Doesn't much matter if the poles continue to warm. All that snow will do what snow does when the air warms. Let me explain. It melts.

But thanks for apprising us of Anthony Watts' latest spin.
gcaveman1

Bay Springs, MS

#34467 Feb 24, 2013
kristy wrote:
<quoted text>
There's optimism.

Then there's stupidity.
PHD

Overton, TX

#34468 Feb 24, 2013
Then there is scientific science fiction believers.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Chicago Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 6 min shinningelectr0n 1,100,522
Messianic Jews say they are persecuted in Israel (Jun '08) 12 min Insect Trust 68,995
BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting... (Jan '09) 16 min LRS 177,409
Song Titles Only (group/artist in parenthesis m... (Mar '10) 16 min Candy4Me 7,751
Israeli troops begin Gaza pullout as Hamas decl... (Jan '09) 54 min TRD 68,379
IL Illinois Governor Recall Amendment (Oct '10) 1 hr newpoly 1,910
Word (Dec '08) 1 hr andet1987 4,656
Topix Chitown Regulars (Aug '09) 2 hr edogxxx 97,938
•••
•••

Chicago Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••

Chicago People Search