Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds up, leaving litt...

Full story: Newsday

When Bill Clinton took office in 1993, global warming was a slow-moving environmental problem that was easy to ignore.

Comments (Page 1,619)

Showing posts 32,361 - 32,380 of45,437
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:

“EnvironMENTAList ”

Since: Feb 07

Near Detroit

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 15, 2013

Judged:

Prove me wrong:
Science is confident in claiming deadly comet hits are imminent and have never said the same for a deadly climate change crisis. Science didn’t tell lies about climate change, it was you climate change believers and lazy news editors and politicians that lied and said that a crisis will happen because science has never said any crisis will happen, only might happen. Not one IPCC warning is not qualified with “maybes”. It’s been 27 years of; “Help my planet could be on fire maybe?”
You as a planet lover should be happy a crisis was exaggerated and former climate change believers are better planet lovers. We don’t rely on fear like neocons.
SpaceBlues

Houston, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 15, 2013

Judged:

PHD wrote:
<quoted text>So! Not my problem they are in competition for the #1 position. No, it is funny every time because they keep coming back for more.
You are in deep hallucination. You don't own Topix, do you?

Posters are participating in a science forum called Global Warming. They don't care about you. They are not for you or your posts. They are not competing for anything like what you assume wrongfully.

Posters are communicating with each other. They are not coming back for you. Not even tina.
SpaceBlues

Houston, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 15, 2013

Judged:

mememine69 wrote:
Prove me wrong:
Science is confident in claiming deadly comet hits are imminent and have never said the same for a deadly climate change crisis. Science didn’t tell lies about climate change, it was you climate change believers and lazy news editors and politicians that lied and said that a crisis will happen because science has never said any crisis will happen, only might happen. Not one IPCC warning is not qualified with “maybes”. It’s been 27 years of; “Help my planet could be on fire maybe?”
You as a planet lover should be happy a crisis was exaggerated and former climate change believers are better planet lovers. We don’t rely on fear like neocons.
Your post is a disaster to respond to. Where were you when Hurricane Sandy devastated the East coast of USA?

You just show up here every so often to spew some nonsense. Why don't you educate yourself a little:

http://www.skepticalscience.com/pics/Human_Fi...
litesong

Everett, WA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 15, 2013

Judged:

HomoSapiensLaptopicus wrote:
Thanks for more laughs, Penny.
I admit, though, that I'm a bit hurt that you don't at least give me SOME level of Commander Troll! Don't I get to be at least 3rd Commander Troll?
:-(
"HomoSapiensLaptopicus ".......'phud fetid feces face fiend' can't count up to 1, much less 3.
nonsense

Elizabethtown, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 15, 2013

Judged:

i still have a set of encyclopedias from the eighties that claimed we were headed for another 'ice age' so whch is it, global warming or another ice age?....lol(or maybe just fear mongering age?)
litesong

Everett, WA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 15, 2013

Judged:

phud fetid feces face fiend wrote:
I would say you rent it. If you borrow it, there would be an expectation to receive it in the same condition as borrowed.
Its all borrowed. No one has enough money to pay God for the Universe.
litesong

Everett, WA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 15, 2013

Judged:

nonsense wrote:
i still have a set of encyclopedias from the eighties that claimed we were headed for another 'ice age'.....
In the 70's & into the 80's, 44 Science Papers were published in Science Journals reporting on global warming. In the same time period, only 7 papers were published on global cooling.
You should have gone to University & studied & read the Science Journals at the college libraries of chemistry, Earth Sciences, geology, astronomy, Engineering & mathematics.
Nobody got a science or mathematics degree only reading an out-of-date home encyclopedia.

You flunked, ugh!
litesong

Everett, WA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 15, 2013

Judged:

brian_g stumble butt dumpster diver wrote:
I use oil to heat my home. That way, I have hot water and heat when I need it.
"brian_g stumble butt dumpster diver" dispatches the oil trucks at his 2-bit oil can job.

Since: Jan 13

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 15, 2013

Judged:

mememine69 wrote:
Prove me wrong:
Prove you wrong? Are you punking us? Most of what you say is just plain wrong.
No reputable scientist has ever said a comet strike is imminent, because one never has been. Inevitable at SOME point, yet, but the next large comet strike could be a hundred million years in the future.
Of COURSE the lay press exaggerates the effects of AGW/CC - they exaggerate everything. They need to sell copy or attract viewers or whatever. "If it bleeds, it leads; if it thinks, it stinks." That's why you should go to the original science articles whenever you can.
There is no question that there will be severe consequences to AGW/CC. The only questions are how severe, where, when & other details.
We know we have to change. We know the sooner we act, the cheaper it'll be. We know there are huge latencies built into the system.
These things are very clear already. We need to act & act now.
gcaveman1

Bay Springs, MS

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 15, 2013

Judged:

gcaveman1 wrote:
<quoted text>
My home is heated by gas, electric, and solar. When the sun shines (which it does quite a bit in central Mississippi), my gas and coal (electric) bills go down.
My water is heated by coal (electric). When the sun shines, my water is heated or pre-heated by solar.
I have hot water and heat all the time, but my bills are lower because of solar.
That's something you and your sister, valley girl, less than a box of rocks Teener, don't understand and it's incredibly simple. Use more solar, use less fossil fuel.
Repeat after me: Use more solar, use less fossil fuel.
Use more solar, use less fossil fuel.
Are you starting to get it now?
It's as simple as coupon clipping, Granny Teener.

It's saving more of your precious CO2 to use another day, Brain*G.

It's something a 3rd grader catches onto easily. You have three cookies and Alice gives you one of hers. How many cookies do you have now?

Or if you claim to be a grown man, we could pose the problem as such: You are building a house. You need 350 2x4's. Two by fours cost $3.01 apiece. Your best friend Jerry has 200 2x4's Left over from building his house. He doesn't need them and says he'll give them to you. How much could you save accepting Jerry's free 2x4's?

You guys really need to tighten up on that logic thing.
gcaveman1

Bay Springs, MS

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 15, 2013

flack wrote:
At any given moment there are twenty active volcanoes on the Earth.
At any given moment there are twenty million people farting.
gcaveman1

Bay Springs, MS

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 15, 2013

<quoted text>
Sorry - you do NOT pay the real cost of your oil. You are forcing people in the future to pay for your profligacy. Period.
But whatever. Go ahead & be as irresponsible & selfish as you want. You WILL do what YOU want, I'm sure. I also know I won't change your mind (lurkers?).
Yes, 500 million years ago, that carbon was in the atmosphere as CO2. The earth's temperatures were moderate, however, because the sun was some 4% dimmer. In case you didn't know, that matters.
Then there were the dinosaurs, who (for much of that time) had CO2 levels some ~5 times ours. Temps were much higher. And sea level was 70 meters (SEVENTY METERS,~250 ft) higher.
That carbon has been in the earth for 300 million years or more. We have released a significant fraction of it in less than 2 centuries. You hallucinate that that'll have NO effect? Are you psychotic?
CO2 is not "weightless"; by saying that you're proving your PROFOUND scientific ignorance. It's actually heavier than air.
Icepacks break up suddenly, even under natural forcings, then take thousands of years to re-accumulate. We are driving CO2 up 10,000 times faster than natural sources do. Once the Greenland & Antarctic icepacks start breaking up, we won't be able to stop them.
There is at least as much carbon (both as methane & carbon dioxide) in the Arctic permafrost, & on the Siberian continental shelf, as in the rest of the atmosphere combined. If a significant fraction of that carbon is released (10%? 20%? 30%? we don't know when we'll reach the point of no return), there'll be a positive feedback cycle that will release it all & lead inexorably to an ice-free earth.
You may have noticed another topix thread where the permafrost is melting, & releasing methane, at a much faster rate than expected.
It's true that we might be very lucky, & we won't see dramatic changes. However, we also may see droughts by mid-century severe enough to cause agricultural collapse, famine, disease, wars, & the deaths of billions of people.
Hmmm - how much are a few billion people "worth"? If sea levels are 75 meters higher (yes, the Marianas Trench was deeper when the dinos were around) & trillions of dollars of land & infrastructure are flooded, what will that "cost"? How much is Florida "worth"?
No, China won't "foreclose" on our climate debt; the earth will foreclose on all of us. The risks are far, far, far, far, FAR greater than a comparatively TINY $20 T debt.
I don't know how old you are; you, or your progeny, will realize I'm right.
Of course you are right. You are even right on!

But then, you're probably a National Public Radio guy.
gcaveman1

Bay Springs, MS

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 15, 2013

mememine69 wrote:
Prove me wrong:
So ya gotta change your tack a little, now that the Prez has mentioned AGW in the SOTU.

Even tho the Prez is not the important guy, it's the scientists who have been saying it for years.

We're scaring your children with the threat of death by CO2; you're scaring us with your ignorance.
gcaveman1

Bay Springs, MS

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 15, 2013

litesong wrote:
<quoted text>
"brian_g stumble butt dumpster diver" dispatches the oil trucks at his 2-bit oil can job.
Is that what he does? I wondered.

I thought one time he might be a Republican newcular Injun ear.

He loves gas, tho, you can tell. Smells of it too.

Since: Jan 13

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 15, 2013

gcaveman1 wrote:
<quoted text>
Of course you are right. You are even right on!
But then, you're probably a National Public Radio guy.
Hey, NPR's not so bad! You can learn a lot of stuff from them.

Actually, I do try to read as much of the science as I can. Also, you can learn a lot from other people - IF they truly know the science. There are some very well-informed amateurs. Of course, there are also a WHOLE lot of poorly-informed amateurs.

AGW/CC denial has to be really powerful to distort the facts so much. There are no well-informed, truly honest AGW/CC deniers.
gcaveman1

Bay Springs, MS

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 16, 2013

Judged:

<quoted text>
Hey, NPR's not so bad! You can learn a lot of stuff from them.
Actually, I do try to read as much of the science as I can. Also, you can learn a lot from other people - IF they truly know the science. There are some very well-informed amateurs. Of course, there are also a WHOLE lot of poorly-informed amateurs.
AGW/CC denial has to be really powerful to distort the facts so much. There are no well-informed, truly honest AGW/CC deniers.
No, NPR is great. I, too, am one of those National Public Radio guys.

It makes you a lot smarter than watching "Jersey Shore" does.

Since: Apr 09

Kitty Hawk, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 16, 2013

Yah, I learn a lot from Click N Clack!
PHD

Bertram, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 16, 2013

Judged:

SpaceBlues wrote:
<quoted text>You are in deep hallucination. You don't own Topix, do you?
Posters are participating in a science forum called Global Warming. They don't care about you. They are not for you or your posts. They are not competing for anything like what you assume wrongfully.
Posters are communicating with each other. They are not coming back for you. Not even tina.
Correction, posters like you are participating in scientific science fiction. They don't care about your cut and paste useless babble. You have "pinheadlitesout and the wallop10 AKA walloped again and again that are willing to respond to your ethanol drinking hallucinations. Try the drinking topic you would score your first "A". Ever wonder why no responds to your new topic until I create a spark?

“EnvironMENTAList ”

Near Detroit

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 16, 2013

Judged:

Former Climate Change Believers Are Better Planet Lovers!
Science is certain comet hits are imminent yet science has never said a climate change crisis is imminent, only “likely” and “potentially” etc. A “climate crisis” would be like a comet hit, only worse so how close to the point of no return will science take us before they say the ultimate crisis “WILL” happen, not just might happen?
Not one single IPCC warning is without “maybes”,“Help my planet could be on fire maybe?” Since 27 more years of “maybe” is unsustainable, science needs to be crystal clear about it being a real crisis or not. Like why would we WANT this misery to be true?
If it were a crisis, they would have said so. Deny that!

“EnvironMENTAList ”

Near Detroit

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 16, 2013

Judged:

Common Ground on Climate Change Belief:
Let deniers, former believers and believers all agree that when science finally says a climate change crisis is imminent, not just “likely” we shall all agree the danger is in fact real.
Agreed?

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 32,361 - 32,380 of45,437
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

105 Users are viewing the Chicago Forum right now

Search the Chicago Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 6 min Tinka 1,071,520
Amy 7-10 30 min Julie 8
BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting... (Jan '09) 40 min Jacques from Ottawa 173,549
Messianic Jews say they are persecuted in Israel (Jun '08) 41 min HughBe 68,119
Abigail July 9 2014 43 min Julie 13
lawer matthew .scott .vanderpool i need (Jul '11) 1 hr freddy 19
Would you do me a favor please? 1 hr Asking Nicely 1
Topix Chitown Regulars (Aug '09) 3 hr PEllen 97,427
•••
•••
•••

Chicago Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••