Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds up, leaving litt...

Full story: Newsday

When Bill Clinton took office in 1993, global warming was a slow-moving environmental problem that was easy to ignore.
Comments
32,341 - 32,360 of 46,239 Comments Last updated 3 hrs ago
gcaveman1

Bay Springs, MS

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 14, 2013

Judged:

Brian_G wrote:
You worry about what angle to hang your solar panels, you brush off snow and ice.
I use oil to heat my home. That way, I have hot water and heat when I need it.
My home is heated by gas, electric, and solar. When the sun shines (which it does quite a bit in central Mississippi), my gas and coal (electric) bills go down.

My water is heated by coal (electric). When the sun shines, my water is heated or pre-heated by solar.

I have hot water and heat all the time, but my bills are lower because of solar.

That's something you and your sister, valley girl, less than a box of rocks Teener, don't understand and it's incredibly simple. Use more solar, use less fossil fuel.

Repeat after me: Use more solar, use less fossil fuel.
Use more solar, use less fossil fuel.

Are you starting to get it now?
litesong

Lynnwood, WA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 14, 2013

Judged:

phud fetid feces face fiend wrote:
...... you think.........Attacks on me ......
I think that "phud fetid feces face fiend" doesn't think well. "phud fetid feces face fiend" thinks I attack it, but I only describe "phud fetid feces face fiend" very well.
PHD

Overton, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 15, 2013

Judged:

HomoSapiensLaptopicus wrote:
<quoted text>
OK, I'll go along with that. Let's say we're renting it.
Maybe it'd be a good idea to not completely trash it.
That would depend on what you are renting.
PHD

Overton, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 15, 2013

Judged:

litesong wrote:
<quoted text>
I think that "phud fetid feces face fiend" doesn't think well. "phud fetid feces face fiend" thinks I attack it, but I only describe "phud fetid feces face fiend" very well.
In addition, you think topix does not know what you publish. Attacks on me will not delete or erase what you are and what you do. You should stop making an ASSumption of your---self before you know the facts. Do contact topix to satisfy your accusations of the reprint BS your posting of what I said. You are a dumbASSumption of your---self again.

“fairtax.org”

Since: Dec 08

gauley bridge wv

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 15, 2013

Judged:

At any given moment there are twenty active volcanoes on the Earth.
PHD

Overton, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 15, 2013

Judged:

Twenty-three,“pinheadlitesout” wallop10 AKA walloped again and again and the spaced out spacedoutblues. Soon to erupt more scientific science fiction cut and paste useless babble.

Since: Jan 13

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 15, 2013

PHD wrote:
<quoted text>That would depend on what you are renting.
Uh... heeelllllooooo! That would be the entire world.

We are currently doing a very dangerous experiment on the only home we have. It MIGHT turn out OK, but it could be an almost incomprehensible disaster.

“dening those who deny nature. ”

Since: Jun 07

Norfolk va

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 15, 2013

Judged:

gcaveman1 wrote:
<quoted text>
I also pay attention to viewership and Fox has a far higher one than CNN. Funny thing is, that is nothing more than opinion and the opinion of a group of foolish people is still foolish.
You lie, Sarah Palin surrogate!You parrot Fox News and Limburger.
You don't have to have lived in California to act like a valley girl.
Your arguments are weak. You facts are non-existent. Your logic is tortuously twisted.
And your last paragraph.........waaaah! you hit me first! Ma! He hit me first!
I agree that a group of foolish people are still foolish. I have often described you as part of that foolish group who still clings to the belief that man is the cause of climate change.

As for the Valley girl bit, your right, ones does not have to live in California or even be a girl to be a valley girl. Your posts are proof positive of that.

“dening those who deny nature. ”

Since: Jun 07

Norfolk va

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 15, 2013

Judged:

gcaveman1 wrote:
<quoted text>
Well, that one went completely over your head.
Did it or did you just forget to look at the map or check the weather history of germany.

“I Luv Carbon Dioxide”

Since: Dec 08

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 15, 2013

OK, how about paying the REAL cost of that oil?
I pay for the oil I use, that's the real cost. HSL and I just don't agree what reality is.

As it is now, you're just dumping your waste CO2 into the atmosphere, not paying for it, psychotically hallucinating that it's "free" to do that.
Not dumping CO2 into the atmosphere, freeing that carbon back into the sun, where it was before it became fossil fuel; restoring the balance. You can't dump something that's weightless, you free gas but dump liquids and solids.

How much does it cost you to exhale? We emit greenhouse gas as a fact of life. There is no secret cost to breathing.

What you're doing is forcing people in the future to pay for those negative consequences.
Or, I could be forcing people in the future to profit from those positive consequences, just like the people of the past emitted greenhouse gas for us to enjoy now. As animals, it's our function to create CO2.

It's a bit like the national debt, where we're spending money now that people in the future will have to pay back.
Nothing like the debt, there are people who actually lend us the money we borrow, with greenhouse gas emissions, the borrower isn't real. You don't need to borrow anything to breathe, you only need to inhale.

In the case of the national debt, though, we know how much it is.
How much is it? If we borrow money, then mitigate climate change, but can't pay our debt; would China foreclose on our climate?

We don't really know the future costs of emitting CO2. They could be less than the national debt, but they also could be much, much larger, even orders of magnitude larger. No joke.
They might be negative costs; benefits. We might end up with a better world because we emit CO2. Only the future will tell.

Are you one of those righties who believes it's immoral to leave our children a large national debt?
Not just our children, our own future is imperiled by massive record-breaking government debt.

If so, then what you're doing could be much, MUCH worse. Like the saying goes, we don't inherit the earth from our forefathers, we borrow it from our children.
No, emitting CO2 is much better than spending money you don't have on things you don't need. If you don't emit CO2, you die.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 15, 2013

tina anne wrote:
<quoted text>
I agree that a group of foolish people are still foolish. I have often described you as part of that foolish group who still clings to the belief that man is the cause of climate change.
As for the Valley girl bit, your right, ones does not have to live in California or even be a girl to be a valley girl. Your posts are proof positive of that.
Actually, the fact that you evidently don't know the difference between "your" & "you're" pretty much seals it: you're a valley girl.
PHD

Overton, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 15, 2013

<quoted text>
Uh... heeelllllooooo! That would be the entire world.
We are currently doing a very dangerous experiment on the only home we have. It MIGHT turn out OK, but it could be an almost incomprehensible disaster.
We, would that be the scientific science fiction person’s? Might turn out OK but could be. Heeelllllloooo that is what I call scientific science fiction.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 15, 2013

Judged:

Brian_G wrote:
<quoted text>I pay for the oil I use, that's the real cost. HSL and I just don't agree what reality is.
<quoted text>Not dumping CO2 into the atmosphere, freeing that carbon back into the sun, where it was before it became fossil fuel; restoring the balance. You can't dump something that's weightless, you free gas but dump liquids and solids.
How much does it cost you to exhale? We emit greenhouse gas as a fact of life. There is no secret cost to breathing.
<quoted text>Or, I could be forcing people in the future to profit from those positive consequences, just like the people of the past emitted greenhouse gas for us to enjoy now. As animals, it's our function to create CO2.
<quoted text>Nothing like the debt, there are people who actually lend us the money we borrow, with greenhouse gas emissions, the borrower isn't real. You don't need to borrow anything to breathe, you only need to inhale.
<quoted text>How much is it? If we borrow money, then mitigate climate change, but can't pay our debt; would China foreclose on our climate?
<quoted text>They might be negative costs; benefits. We might end up with a better world because we emit CO2. Only the future will tell.
<quoted text>Not just our children, our own future is imperiled by massive record-breaking government debt.
<quoted text>No, emitting CO2 is much better than spending money you don't have on things you don't need. If you don't emit CO2, you die.
Sorry - you do NOT pay the real cost of your oil. You are forcing people in the future to pay for your profligacy. Period.

But whatever. Go ahead & be as irresponsible & selfish as you want. You WILL do what YOU want, I'm sure. I also know I won't change your mind (lurkers?).

Yes, 500 million years ago, that carbon was in the atmosphere as CO2. The earth's temperatures were moderate, however, because the sun was some 4% dimmer. In case you didn't know, that matters.

Then there were the dinosaurs, who (for much of that time) had CO2 levels some ~5 times ours. Temps were much higher. And sea level was 70 meters (SEVENTY METERS,~250 ft) higher.

That carbon has been in the earth for 300 million years or more. We have released a significant fraction of it in less than 2 centuries. You hallucinate that that'll have NO effect? Are you psychotic?

CO2 is not "weightless"; by saying that you're proving your PROFOUND scientific ignorance. It's actually heavier than air.

Icepacks break up suddenly, even under natural forcings, then take thousands of years to re-accumulate. We are driving CO2 up 10,000 times faster than natural sources do. Once the Greenland & Antarctic icepacks start breaking up, we won't be able to stop them.

There is at least as much carbon (both as methane & carbon dioxide) in the Arctic permafrost, & on the Siberian continental shelf, as in the rest of the atmosphere combined. If a significant fraction of that carbon is released (10%? 20%? 30%? we don't know when we'll reach the point of no return), there'll be a positive feedback cycle that will release it all & lead inexorably to an ice-free earth.

You may have noticed another topix thread where the permafrost is melting, & releasing methane, at a much faster rate than expected.

It's true that we might be very lucky, & we won't see dramatic changes. However, we also may see droughts by mid-century severe enough to cause agricultural collapse, famine, disease, wars, & the deaths of billions of people.

Hmmm - how much are a few billion people "worth"? If sea levels are 75 meters higher (yes, the Marianas Trench was deeper when the dinos were around) & trillions of dollars of land & infrastructure are flooded, what will that "cost"? How much is Florida "worth"?

No, China won't "foreclose" on our climate debt; the earth will foreclose on all of us. The risks are far, far, far, far, FAR greater than a comparatively TINY $20 T debt.

I don't know how old you are; you, or your progeny, will realize I'm right.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 15, 2013

Judged:

PHD wrote:
<quoted text> ...that is what I call scientific science fiction.
Yes, I know that's what you always call it. You basically have 2 posts: this one, & the one where you accuse litesong of abusive posts.

How about posting SOMETHING different?

Of course, you could always try to read some of the science... Naaah..
PHD

Overton, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 15, 2013

Judged:

<quoted text>
Yes, I know that's what you always call it. You basically have 2 posts: this one, & the one where you accuse litesong of abusive posts.
You turned out to be like the rest making an ASSumption of your--self. You do not have a clue what I do or read. The fact is every thing out there is scientific science fiction. The people that are scared to death keep looking for the same answer. You have one post scientific science fiction. Now if you did your homework you should have know that the "pinheadlitesout" on any given day and topic will badger you when you take the opposing view. Therefore, the "pinheadlitesout" deserves nothing more.Have a great day.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 15, 2013

<quoted text>
Oops, sorry, I forgot. There's the one where you accuse various people of being 1st or 2nd (or whatever) Commander Troll. It was funny the 1st few hundred thousand times...

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 15, 2013

Judged:

PHD wrote:
<quoted text>You turned out to be like the rest making an ASSumption of your--self. You do not have a clue what I do or read. The fact is every thing out there is scientific science fiction. The people that are scared to death keep looking for the same answer. You have one post scientific science fiction. Now if you did your homework you should have know that the "pinheadlitesout" on any given day and topic will badger you when you take the opposing view. Therefore, the "pinheadlitesout" deserves nothing more.Have a great day.
Thanks for more laughs, Penny.

I admit, though, that I'm a bit hurt that you don't at least give me SOME level of Commander Troll! Don't I get to be at least 3rd Commander Troll?

:-(
PHD

Overton, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 15, 2013

Judged:

<quoted text>
Oops, sorry, I forgot. There's the one where you accuse various people of being 1st or 2nd (or whatever) Commander Troll. It was funny the 1st few hundred thousand times...
So! Not my problem they are in competition for the #1 position. No, it is funny every time because they keep coming back for more.

“EnvironMENTAList ”

Since: Feb 07

Near Detroit

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 15, 2013

Judged:

Prove me wrong:
Science is confident in claiming deadly comet hits are imminent and have never said the same for a deadly climate change crisis. Science didn’t tell lies about climate change, it was you climate change believers and lazy news editors and politicians that lied and said that a crisis will happen because science has never said any crisis will happen, only might happen. Not one IPCC warning is not qualified with “maybes”. It’s been 27 years of; “Help my planet could be on fire maybe?”
You as a planet lover should be happy a crisis was exaggerated and former climate change believers are better planet lovers. We don’t rely on fear like neocons.
SpaceBlues

Houston, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 15, 2013

Judged:

PHD wrote:
<quoted text>So! Not my problem they are in competition for the #1 position. No, it is funny every time because they keep coming back for more.
You are in deep hallucination. You don't own Topix, do you?

Posters are participating in a science forum called Global Warming. They don't care about you. They are not for you or your posts. They are not competing for anything like what you assume wrongfully.

Posters are communicating with each other. They are not coming back for you. Not even tina.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Chicago Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 8 min shinningelectr0n 1,096,121
Ferguson police shoot another black unarmed man! 45 min joey 25
{keep A word drop A word} (Oct '11) 2 hr Whiny1 4,640
BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting... (Jan '09) 2 hr LRS 176,797
Word (Dec '08) 2 hr andet1987 4,633
Last word + 2 (Mar '12) 2 hr andet1987 557
Ill. House Approves Legalizing Same-Sex Civil U... (Dec '10) 3 hr Ace 49,265
Topix Chitown Regulars (Aug '09) 8 hr Toj 97,823

Search the Chicago Forum:
•••