Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds up, leaving litt...

Full story: Newsday

When Bill Clinton took office in 1993, global warming was a slow-moving environmental problem that was easy to ignore.
Comments
31,561 - 31,580 of 45,866 Comments Last updated 2 hrs ago

Since: Apr 08

"the green troll"

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 4, 2013

Judged:

Teddy R wrote:
<quoted text>
Unfortunately you haven't demonstrated any qualifications to render such a judgement.
Shall we try reading the paper and see if the authors agree with your understanding of their work, i.e. that it is somehow inconvenient to AGW theory?
In summary, the long term observed warming of Alaska of about twice the global value, as expected by the increasing CO2 and other trace gases, is sometimes temporarily modified or even reversed by natural decadal variations. This is not the first observed occurrence that can be found in the historical record of Alaska [14], as the 1920ís were warm, and starting in the mid-1940ís a cold period occurred lasting some 3 decades, after which it become warm again.
No, they don't seem to.

"the green troll"

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 4, 2013

Judged:

Let's have a look at what the usual suspects are saying about this:
What global warming? Alaska is headed for an ice age as scientists report state's steady temperature decline.
Daily Mail.
Forget global warming Ė Alaska headed for an ice age.
Ice Age Now.
EPA Lying About Alaska.
Steven Goddard.
Report:ĎForget global warming, Alaska is headed for an ice ageí
Anthony Watts.
Teddy R wrote:
Pretty much as one would expect, really - for all the posing and cock-measuring contests being indulged in on this thread over the "SCIENCE!!!," the complete lack of intelligent response to a post linking some actual climate science literature just goes to the prove how little the participants here actually care about the real science or rational, objective exchange.
What sort of rational, objective exchange can one have with people who misrepresent and distort the science?

"the green troll"

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 4, 2013

Judged:

Teddy R wrote:
This was compensated for by the authors' actually having the courage and scientific integrity, in describing the period of cooling evidenced over the 1st decade of this century, to actually say, "At this time it cannot be decided whether this is a climatic shift during the first decade of the 21st century or if it represents decadal-interdecadal variability." How refreshing.
It's only "refreshing" for you because your understanding of AGW is based entirely on lazy straw man arguments.

The question posed by the authors is entirely familiar to anybody who pays attention to the science.
In summary, the long term observed warming of Alaska of about twice the global value, as expected by the increasing CO2 and other trace gases, is sometimes temporarily modified or even reversed by natural decadal variations.
Nothing here to suggest a coming ice age in Alaska.

Nothing here to suggest that science has previously ignored natural variability and effects.

What it shows is that the reason we understand climate change, including natural variability, is because of the work of scientists.

The reason the public may not understand this is because of misinformers like the Daily Mail, Goddard and Watts.

The reason you didn't understand it is your intellectual laziness and arrogance.
PHD

Bertram, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 4, 2013

Judged:

Fairy lame wrote:
<quoted text>
A spnaking by tina seems to be a common theme in your posts. A phudd phantasy.
Just trying to hand you something your mental midget capacity could understand. Itís only common because you fairy lame and "pinheadlitesout" get spanked from Tina. Anything else you and the"pinheadliteout do is your business.

"the green troll"

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 4, 2013

Judged:

phudd wants to...
PHD wrote:
...get spanked from Tina.
PHD

Bertram, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 4, 2013

Judged:

Fairy Same wrote:
I wants to...
<quoted text>
No need to tell all your fantasy about :pinheadlitesout".Maybe the global warming cooling climate change is moving faster than you expected.
cricket

Orlando, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 4, 2013

Judged:

tina anne wrote:
<quoted text>
Or someone who knows enough to know what cannot be true. That climate change is natural and has little to do with man.
The one who is in denial is Fair Game.
"NASA reports that immense cracks in our planet's magnetic field can remain open for hours, allowing the solar wind to gush through and power stormy space weather. Our Earth is surrounded by a magnetic force field a bubble in space called "the magnetosphere" that is tens of thousands of miles wide. The magnetosphere is part of the same planetary
magnetic field that deflects compass needles.
The magnetosphere acts as a shield that protects us from solar storms.
According to new observations, from NASA's image spacecraft and the joint NASA/European Space Agency Cluster satellites, immense cracks
sometimes develop in Earth's magnetosphere and remain open for hours.
This allows the solar wind to gush through and power stormy space weather. We've discovered that our magnetic shield is drafty, like a
house with a window stuck open during a storm," says Herald Frey of the University of California, Berkeley, lead author of a paper on this research published in December in 'Nature'. "The house deflects most of the storm, but the couch is ruined. Similarly, our magnetic shield takes the brunt of space storms, but some energy slips through its cracks, sometimes enough to cause problems with satellites, radio communication, and power systems."
These cracks in the magnetic shield seem to affect not only space weather but weather systems on the Earth."

[Didn't Hansen work there?[Nasa]. How come he's so ignorant of EVERYTHING? Oh, yeah, his AGENDA. And raking in more $$$ by fear mongering.]

New paper finds temperatures in Patagonia warmer than the present during Medieval Warming Period
http://hockeyschtick.blogspot.com/2013/01/new...

Must have been all that oil burning and CO2 release. No wonder there weren't that many factories around back then. lol.

We need a "YOU FIRST" campaign.
Every nit wit thing that the extremely wealthy [off the mmcc lies] high priests and their devout followers of the warming cult tell us that we need to do, the answer is..."YOU FIRST".

Move into a 120 sq ft closet on wheels ? YOU FIRST.

Simplify and drastically cut down on water usage, utility [power] usage, oil/gas usage, heat usage, food consumption...ad naseum..
"YOU FIRST".

It's more than obvious that a third world lifestyle is being glorified to the masses as something to be desired.
You'll be happier, healthier with way less [including money]! Just like the 3rd world is much better off than you! Happier, healthier, one with nature![lol].

Yeah, tell THAT to the 3rd world.

It's called conditioning.
They want you to willingly desire a poverty lifestyle and willingly give up your western lifestyle thru their manufactured crises de jour of the constantly lying fear mongering b.s.... mmcc/cc.
And you are suppose to feel 'guilty' that you are better off and that you have more modern conveniences by their finger pointing and screeching "overconsumption"!!!

You'll be so much happier when you have little to nothing, just like those glorious good old days of the 1600's.

"YOU FIRST".
cricket

Orlando, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 4, 2013

Judged:

Polynomial cointegration tests of anthropogenic impact on global warming

http://www.earth-syst-dynam-discuss.net/3/561...
(Faint young Sun paradox resolved by assuming CO2 did not control temperature)
cricket

Orlando, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 4, 2013

Judged:

Yup...

Hit a nerve!
lol

What obvious hypocrite warmies!
lol

Don't even understand basic science!
lol

Only their devout beliefs ( do they really believe if they refuse to live it??) that they want YOU to live. Not themselves!
lol.

"YOU FIRST"

rofl.

I'm signing off to continue to enjoy my life now!
SpaceBlues

Houston, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 4, 2013

Judged:

paddyomalley wrote:
<quoted text>
Typical leftist. No facts, just name callers.
Where's your knowledge, name caller?
SpaceBlues

Houston, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 4, 2013

Judged:

paddyomalley wrote:
<quoted text>
Are you saying 630 billion years ago, the greenhouse effect began melting the ice of whatever ice age was ending? Very good. Now tell me what part man had in causing that greenhouse effect? How many fords and chevys were on the road? How many miles of highways were on earth at that time? In other words, what part in melting the glaciers 2.5 billion years ago during the end of the first Ice Age did man play and every Ice Age since? You don't have to account for the dozens of thaws and refreezes, just the Ice Age and the major thaw. I suggest man had nothing to do with any of it and for anyone to think what ever man does now is going to stop or start a thaw and freeze is goofy.
NO.

I see that you could learn something about the greenhouse gas effect.

Try to understand what the global scientists are saying here:

Trends of measured climate forcing agents

http://www.pnas.org/content/98/26/14778.full...

Since: Mar 09

Wichita, KS

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 4, 2013

Judged:

cricket wrote:
<quoted text>
"NASA reports that immense cracks in our planet's magnetic field can remain open for hours, allowing the solar wind to gush through and power stormy space weather. Our Earth is surrounded by a magnetic force field a bubble in space called "the magnetosphere" that is tens of thousands of miles wide. The magnetosphere is part of the same planetary
magnetic field that deflects compass needles.
The magnetosphere acts as a shield that protects us from solar storms.
According to new observations, from NASA's image spacecraft and the joint NASA/European Space Agency Cluster satellites, immense cracks
sometimes develop in Earth's magnetosphere and remain open for hours.
This allows the solar wind to gush through and power stormy space weather. We've discovered that our magnetic shield is drafty, like a
house with a window stuck open during a storm," says Herald Frey of the University of California, Berkeley, lead author of a paper on this research published in December in 'Nature'. "The house deflects most of the storm, but the couch is ruined. Similarly, our magnetic shield takes the brunt of space storms, but some energy slips through its cracks, sometimes enough to cause problems with satellites, radio communication, and power systems."
These cracks in the magnetic shield seem to affect not only space weather but weather systems on the Earth."
[Didn't Hansen work there?[Nasa]. How come he's so ignorant of EVERYTHING? Oh, yeah, his AGENDA. And raking in more $$$ by fear mongering.]
New paper finds temperatures in Patagonia warmer than the present during Medieval Warming Period
http://hockeyschtick.blogspot.com/2013/01/new...
Must have been all that oil burning and CO2 release. No wonder there weren't that many factories around back then. lol.
We need a "YOU FIRST" campaign.
Every nit wit thing that the extremely wealthy [off the mmcc lies] high priests and their devout followers of the warming cult tell us that we need to do, the answer is..."YOU FIRST".
Move into a 120 sq ft closet on wheels ? YOU FIRST.
Simplify and drastically cut down on water usage, utility [power] usage, oil/gas usage, heat usage, food consumption...ad naseum..
"YOU FIRST".
It's more than obvious that a third world lifestyle is being glorified to the masses as something to be desired.
You'll be happier, healthier with way less [including money]! Just like the 3rd world is much better off than you! Happier, healthier, one with nature![lol].
Yeah, tell THAT to the 3rd world.
It's called conditioning.
They want you to willingly desire a poverty lifestyle and willingly give up your western lifestyle thru their manufactured crises de jour of the constantly lying fear mongering b.s.... mmcc/cc.
And you are suppose to feel 'guilty' that you are better off and that you have more modern conveniences by their finger pointing and screeching "overconsumption"!!!
You'll be so much happier when you have little to nothing, just like those glorious good old days of the 1600's.
"YOU FIRST".
More denier misinterpretation. Nowhere does it say that medieval temperatures are higher than today. They stated that the averages in the area studied are higher than the 20 century AVERAGE. Remember it is warmer today than the 20 century average.

It is not about communism and destroying the Western lifestyle. It is about the future of human civilization.
Teddy R

Houston, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 4, 2013

Judged:

Fair Game wrote:
<quoted text>
Anyone with the slightest understanding of climate science, or prepared to do a little work to acquire such an understanding, could spot why you have misunderstood the paper ...
O rly. And yet so glaring and obvious is my "misunderstanding" that you are completely incapable of describing it in any specific and objective terms.

Just a spew of angry little ad homs from you. Unprofessional, and hardly in keeping with your high opinion of yourself as an objective "scientist," I would say.

(Is this how you get your rocks off? Fencing with ghosts? Projecting your intellectual insecurities onto others? Paging Dr. Freud ... Dr. Freud ...)
Fair Game wrote:
<quoted text>
... if you think it casts doubt on AGW.
Whence this presumption of yours of what I think? The angry little green demons in your mind at work again?

What part of my statement in my Post #33371 - "The over-arching global warming trend is still visible in Temps at the northern-most station, Barrow, North of the Brooks Range and isolated from the avection/circulation mechanisms the authors posit is driving the recent regional cooling trend over the rest of Alaska" did your fail to grasp?

Oh - that's right - you didn't read my post, did you. It might actually indicate to you what I really do believe on the subject, and how I actually do interpret what the data is telling us.

Much more gratifying for you to manufacture your own spurious strawman to fight with, isn't it.

Such an argumentative little cuss ...
Fair Game wrote:
<quoted text>
But not (sic), you have no such understanding, and are too intellectually lazy and arrogant to acquire it. Apparently you proved how smart you are in some other field years ago, so your conclusions about AGW based what you believe the evidence for it is must be correct. A delusion held by many other arrogant old fools on the web The climate is a complex system. It does not warm uniformly. Some parts warm more, some parts warm less, some parts can even get colder for decadal period (sic). To point to the paper you did and laugh as you did show an utter ignorance of the science. And it shows you in your ignorance to be a utter fool, old man.
Whew! That's quite a rant! Goodness me. We are tortured by some very deep-rooted insecurities and anger issues, aren't we ...

But I do see the problem now "... To point to the paper you did and laugh as you did ..." My error. I forgot that committed jihadis wrapped up in holy wars have no sense of humor. I chuckled at your God, and you felt compelled to swear out a fatwa on me as an UNBELIEVER.

Sorry.

I did get a little giggle out of your spluttering "... arrogant old fools ... shows you in your ignorance to be a utter fool, old man." How special. Ah, to be young and full of intellectual hubris again! Enjoy your sturm und drang years, young man - you'll grow out of them and develop some maturity and wisdom soon enough.

Manners, however, are another matter. I'm afraid if you haven't learned manners by now, it's probably too late ...

Now - as it seems plain you're more interested in jihad and scratching your personal intellectual insecurity itches than civil and objective conversation, I'll leave you to it.

AGW Akbar!!
PHD

Bertram, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 4, 2013

Judged:

SpaceBlues wrote:
<quoted text>NO.
I see that you could learn something about the greenhouse gas effect.
Try to understand what the global scientists are saying here:
Trends of measured climate forcing agents
http://www.pnas.org/content/98/26/14778.full...
There your have it folks if itís not the spaceblues cut and paste info it must be wrong. So you really really don't know.
Teddy R

Houston, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 4, 2013

Judged:

Fair Game wrote:
<quoted text>
Shall we try reading the paper and see if the authors agree with your understanding of their work, i.e. that it is somehow inconvenient to AGW theory?
<quoted text>
No, they don't seem to.
T reiterate my previous - whence this arrogant presumption of yours of what I understand and think of this paper?

What part of my comment regarding this paper (my Post #33371)-

"The over-arching global warming trend is still visible in Temps at the northern-most station, Barrow, North of the Brooks Range and isolated from the avection/circulation mechanisms the authors posit is driving the recent regional cooling trend over the rest of Alaska"

I have no disagreement whatsoever with the authors' conclusions as stated in this paper - and I have given you no reason to leap to the sweeping conclusions you have otherwise.

I now return you to your jihad.

AGW Ackbar!!
Teddy R

Houston, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 4, 2013

Judged:

Fair Game wrote:
<quoted text>
Daily Mail.
<quoted text>
Ice Age Now.
<quoted text>
Steven Goddard.
<quoted text>
Anthony Watts.
<quoted text>

Hey - you left out Teddy R!

Oh - that's right - I never said any such thing. You just pretended I did.

[QUOTE who="Fair Game"]What sort of rational, objective exchange can one have with people who misrepresent and distort the science?
Why none at all - I fully agree. But why would one want to, or expect otherwise? These are journos flogging papers and advertisements, for heavens' sake.

A rational, objective exchange about scientific matters? One may as well expect a pig to sing.
Teddy R

Houston, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 4, 2013

Judged:

Fair Game wrote:
<quoted text>
Daily Mail.
<quoted text>
Ice Age Now.
<quoted text>
Steven Goddard.
<quoted text>
Anthony Watts.
<quoted text>
Hey - you left out Teddy R!

Oh - that's right - I never said any such thing. You just pretended I did.
Fair Game wrote:
What sort of rational, objective exchange can one have with people who misrepresent and distort the science?
Why none at all - I fully agree. But why would one want to, or expect otherwise? These are journos flogging papers and advertisements, for heavens' sake. Why do you care?

A rational, objective exchange about scientific matters? One may as well expect a pig to sing.

"the green troll"

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 4, 2013

Judged:

Teddy R wrote:
oh noes!

Used when something that happens that is the worstest thing that could ever happen, seemingly.

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php...
Teddy R wrote:
I have no disagreement whatsoever with the authors' conclusions as stated in this paper.
I'm glad you have come to the realisation that this paper is not an embarrassment for AGW theory, it's entirely canonical.
SpaceBlues

Houston, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 4, 2013

Judged:

PHD wrote:
<quoted text>There your have it folks if itís not the spaceblues cut and paste info it must be wrong. So you really really don't know.
Jealous, you are because you can NOT cut and paste.

You posted 2H, 3H, 4He, etc. Furthermore, you don't really really know that the sun is NOT a nuclear reaction.

Clearly, you never took any science classes.
Teddy R

Houston, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 4, 2013

Judged:

Fair Game wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm glad you have come to the realisation that this paper is not an embarrassment for AGW theory, it's entirely canonical.
I'm glad you have come to the realisation that you jumped to completely wrong presumptions about my interpretation of this paper.

Apology accepted.

I agree this paper is certainly not an embarrassment for GW theory, and I never said it was.

As for the _A_ part of AGW Theory, I would only observe this paper really has nothing that bears one way or the other on this aspect.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
•••
•••
•••

Chicago Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••

Chicago People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••