Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds up, leaving litt...

Full story: Newsday

When Bill Clinton took office in 1993, global warming was a slow-moving environmental problem that was easy to ignore.

Comments (Page 1,569)

Showing posts 31,361 - 31,380 of45,517
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Teddy R

Houston, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 20, 2012

Judged:

SpaceBlues wrote:
<quoted text>Thanks for the reply.[I should catch up on those.]
And at that time foreigners were not raiding others' oil fields... yet.
Nope. Narcotic drugs rather than oil was the stock-in-trade. Poppy fields rather than oil fields. Swire. Jardine. Matheson. Massive fortunes amassed in trading opium (and, yes - tea, silk, and other commodities).

All the hand-wringing and wailing by the oil-obsessed today fades to a yawner when viewed in an historical context. We've seen wars fought and cultures destroyed over gold, silver, diamonds, opium, pot, cocaine ... today some say it's oil, tomorrow it'll be something else.
litesong

Everett, WA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 20, 2012

Judged:

Pierre wrote:
The world ends in 2 days!
For the 150,000 people who died within the last 24 hours, the world already ended.
Every heartbeat is a billion trillion miracles. Ain't life wonderful.
SpaceBlues

Houston, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 20, 2012

Judged:

Pierre wrote:
<quoted text>
Can you specify a time and what to expect?
SpaceBlues

Houston, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 20, 2012

Judged:

Teddy R wrote:
<quoted text>
Nope. Narcotic drugs rather than oil was the stock-in-trade. Poppy fields rather than oil fields. Swire. Jardine. Matheson. Massive fortunes amassed in trading opium (and, yes - tea, silk, and other commodities).
All the hand-wringing and wailing by the oil-obsessed today fades to a yawner when viewed in an historical context. We've seen wars fought and cultures destroyed over gold, silver, diamonds, opium, pot, cocaine ... today some say it's oil, tomorrow it'll be something else.
Wow. You know more than I do about what you mentioned. Thanks much.

Now, there have been also misrepresentations like Columbus after spices.

However, there's always Iran.
Patriot

Loveland, CO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 20, 2012

Judged:

The Evidence - Electromagnetic Changes in our Solar System

http://www.activistpost.com/2012/12/the-evide...
PHD

Bertram, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 20, 2012

Judged:

Teddy R wrote:
<quoted text>
Troll. Ignored.
Hay when you respond your not ignoring. Sorry you’re another one that attended the one child left behind program. So that would again make you the commander TROLL!!
Are you going for the ignorant award? Your near that position.
TrollBot

Houston, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 20, 2012

Judged:

PHD wrote:
<quoted text>Hay when you respond your not ignoring. Sorry you’re another one that attended the one child left behind program. So that would again make you the commander TROLL!!
Troll. Ignored.
PHD

Bertram, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 21, 2012

TrollBot wrote:
<quoted text>
Troll. Ignored.
Hay when you respond your not ignoring. Sorry you’re another one that attended the one child left behind program. So that would again make you the commander TROLL!!

“dening those who deny nature. ”

Since: Jun 07

Norfolk va

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 21, 2012

Judged:

PHD wrote:
<quoted text>Well you are correct (I bet you never would say I would make that statement) But it's all about the money and toss in the sports thing they do well. Now that you recognize the issue you should be able to see your higher education short falls. Maybe you should start at a higher level with your education. That Pre K level thing would be a waste of time.
Actually, I did think that you would find at least one thing we could agree on. Just as litesong and I agree that ethanol in gasoline is a bad thing.

Also I will add a second degree in february and am looking at adding a third. It would only take less than a dozen courses to add the third.

“dening those who deny nature. ”

Since: Jun 07

Norfolk va

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 21, 2012

Judged:

Pierre wrote:
<quoted text>
I take tha bet.
litesong

Everett, WA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 21, 2012

Judged:

phdudd wrote:
Your(sic) near that position.
The sun is presently 'near that position' farthest to the Earth's south, due to Earth's place in its orbit & precessional tilt.

Since: Mar 09

Wichita, KS

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 21, 2012

Judged:

tina anne wrote:
<quoted text>
Actually, I did think that you would find at least one thing we could agree on. Just as litesong and I agree that ethanol in gasoline is a bad thing.
Also I will add a second degree in february and am looking at adding a third. It would only take less than a dozen courses to add the third.
What are some of the positives of ethanol for fuel? Saves on fossil fuels. It is an oxygenation. It increases the octane rating of gasoline without adding dangerous additives. When mixed with gasoline, it is a very good gum solvent and cleans the fuel injectors. Since it absorbs water, it dries gasoline and prevents gas line freezes. Since it is produced from growing crops, it adds much less CO2 into the atmosphere. It helps the farmers show a little more profit.

All that said, it would be better if it were produced from non food crops. Brazil is doing just fine with producing it from sugar cane.
PHD

Bertram, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 21, 2012

Judged:

tina anne wrote:
<quoted text>
Now if you can show all that you actually have a higher education than we would agree on would make two. At this point you are borderline high school 10th grade.
litesong

Everett, WA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 21, 2012

Judged:

Patriot AKA Bozo wrote:
What are some of the positives of ethanol for fuel? Saves on fossil fuels. It is an oxygenation.
With careful decades long records of mpg, two of our 3 cars, increased their mpg to 7 & even 8+%, when switched to 100% gasoline(ethanol-free). None of the 3 cars showed the low ethanol industry propagandistic 3% difference between 100% gasoline & 10% ethanol blends. Thousands of drivers report more mpg savings when running with 100% gasoline. As an oxygenator, ethanol decreases the pollutants of only one emission, but slightly increases the emissions of two or three other emissions. I don't care about farmers who sacrifice feeding humans to feed internal combustion engines for bigger bucks.
litesong

Everett, WA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 21, 2012

Judged:

Ethanol as used in present gasoline engines designed to run with 100% gasoline, does not get its best efficiency. Ethanol needs high compression engines, close to that of diesel engines, to gain its efficiency. That is why the high performance, high compression Indy cars work well with ethanol. But the 10% ethanol in 'designed for gasoline' gasoline engines misses its efficiency region.
PHD

Bertram, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 21, 2012

Judged:

litesong wrote:
Ethanol as used in present gasoline engines designed to run with 100% gasoline, does not get its best efficiency. Ethanol needs high compression engines, close to that of diesel engines, to gain its efficiency. That is why the high performance, high compression Indy cars work well with ethanol. But the 10% ethanol in 'designed for gasoline' gasoline engines misses its efficiency region.
Was that an answer from experience/knowledge or the usual cut and paste you do?
TrollBot

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 21, 2012

Judged:

PHD wrote:
<quoted text>Hay when you respond your not ignoring. Sorry you’re another one that attended the one child left behind program. So that would again make you the commander TROLL!!
Troll. Ignored.
Teddy R

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 21, 2012

Judged:

Patriot AKA Bozo wrote:
<quoted text>
What are some of the positives of ethanol for fuel? Saves on fossil fuels. It is an oxygenation. It increases the octane rating of gasoline without adding dangerous additives. When mixed with gasoline, it is a very good gum solvent and cleans the fuel injectors. Since it absorbs water, it dries gasoline and prevents gas line freezes. Since it is produced from growing crops, it adds much less CO2 into the atmosphere. It helps the farmers show a little more profit.
All that said, it would be better if it were produced from non food crops. Brazil is doing just fine with producing it from sugar cane.
Ethanol? Terrible crappy fuel.

Corrosive.
Hygroscopic - stores poorly, goes bad quickly as it takes up water.
Did I mention corrosive?
Destroys FRP fuel tanks, e.g. in watercraft.
Lousy energy content - only 2/3 the energy content of gasoline
Lousy mpg to match
Safety hazard - when spilled and ignited, invisible flame

Since: Mar 09

Wichita, KS

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 21, 2012

Judged:

Teddy R wrote:
<quoted text>
Ethanol? Terrible crappy fuel.
Corrosive.
Hygroscopic - stores poorly, goes bad quickly as it takes up water.
Did I mention corrosive?
Destroys FRP fuel tanks, e.g. in watercraft.
Lousy energy content - only 2/3 the energy content of gasoline
Lousy mpg to match
Safety hazard - when spilled and ignited, invisible flame
The corrosion problems have been solved. The hygroscopic property is a plus as well as a minus. Even though the energy content per gal of ethanol is less than gasoline, it is a viable energy efficient alternative. Most studies show a significant positive energy content.
http://www.ethanol.org/pdf/contentmgmt/ILSR_e...

"steel USTs have been shown to be satisfactory for storing 100 percent ethanol and E-blend gasoline (Archer Daniels Midland Co., 1998). Steel tanks have been used to store alcohols for more than 50 years without documented compatibility problems."

The tailpipe emissions of ethanol are at least as clean as petroleum gasoline and produce much less environmental CO2.

The positives and negatives will decide the future of ethanol.
litesong

Everett, WA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 21, 2012

Patriot AKA Bozo wrote:
Even though the energy content per gal of ethanol is less than gasoline, it is a viable energy efficient alternative.
From my post above:
Ethanol needs high compression engines, close to that of diesel engines, to gain its efficiency. That is why the high performance, high compression Indy cars work well with ethanol. But the 10% ethanol in 'designed for gasoline' gasoline engines misses its efficiency region.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 31,361 - 31,380 of45,517
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

84 Users are viewing the Chicago Forum right now

Search the Chicago Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 4 min Yeah 1,072,595
BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting... (Jan '09) 7 min Jacques from Ottawa 173,688
Israeli troops begin Gaza pullout as Hamas decl... (Jan '09) 9 min TRD 67,539
CPS has libraries without librarians 19 min reality is a crutch 1
Abby July 12 24 min Kuuipo 3
CPS has libraries without librarians 28 min reality is a crutch 1
Topix Chitown Regulars (Aug '09) 44 min Go Blue Forever 97,443
•••

Flood Warning for Cook County was issued at July 12 at 4:25AM CDT

•••
•••
•••

Chicago Jobs

•••