Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds up, leaving litt...

Full story: Newsday 48,378
When Bill Clinton took office in 1993, global warming was a slow-moving environmental problem that was easy to ignore. Full Story

Since: Apr 08

"the green troll"

#32876 Nov 16, 2012
Rose likes to make a lot of short term trends:
The bitter winter afflicting much of the Northern Hemisphere is only the start of a global trend towards cooler weather that is likely to last for 20 or 30 years, say some of the world’s most eminent climate scientists.
Their predictions – based on an analysis of natural cycles in water temperatures in the Pacific and Atlantic oceans – challenge some of the global warming orthodoxy’s most deeply cherished beliefs, such as the claim that the North Pole will be free of ice in
summer by 2013.
According to the US National Snow and Ice Data Centre in Colorado, Arctic summer sea ice has increased by 409,000 square miles, or 26 per cent, since 2007 – and even the most committed global warming activists do not dispute this.
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/articl...

Arctic sea ice of course crashed to a new minimum in 2012.

The smart money is on new temperature records in the next few years:

http://www.skepticalscience.com/prediction-ne...

Just like the smart money was on Obama because the statistics said he'd win. The right didn't like what they heard and chose to dismiss the science.

http://www.realclimate.org/index.php/archives...

Listen to the experts: they know what they're talking about.
PHD

Overton, TX

#32877 Nov 16, 2012
The climate here changed again the experts said it would be warm and dry. Today again it’s cold and wet. Maybe they didn't receive the Obama gifts.
Teddy R

Manlius, NY

#32878 Nov 16, 2012
Fair Game wrote:
Listen to the experts: they know what they're talking about.
Oh, I do. I listen to Dr. Phil:

"... in 2009, when the plateau was already becoming apparent and being discussed by scientists, he told a colleague in one of the Climategate emails:‘Bottom line: the “no upward trend” has to continue for a total of 15 years before we get worried.’ "
frogmann

Pittsburgh, PA

#32880 Nov 16, 2012
youtube.com/watch...
hotair I see?

Since: Apr 08

"the green troll"

#32881 Nov 16, 2012
Teddy R wrote:
<quoted text>
"... in 2009, when the plateau was already becoming apparent and being discussed by scientists, he told a colleague in one of the Climategate emails:‘Bottom line: the “no upward trend” has to continue for a total of 15 years before we get worried.’ "
As there is an upward trend, no one is worried.

The morons at Wattsup are excited, in the same way that they were excited about the Arctic sea ice "recovery".

They will be disappointed again when we see temperature records fall.

Phil Jones says warming hasn't stopped and he's right.

David Rose thought we going to see cooling and he was wrong. He thought the sea ice was recovering and he was wrong. He thought warming had stopped and he was wrong.

Warming goes on. Remember who told you. The same person that told you the sea ice recovery was bullshit.

Since: Mar 09

Wichita, KS

#32882 Nov 16, 2012
Teddy R wrote:
<quoted text>
FROM THE SOURCE:
Met Office in the Media: 14 October 2012

An article by David Rose appears today in the Mail on Sunday under the title:‘Global warming stopped 16 years ago, reveals Met Office report quietly released… and here is the chart to prove it’
To address some of the points in the article published today:
Firstly, the Met Office has not issued a report on this issue. We can only assume the article is referring to the completion of work to update the HadCRUT4 global temperature dataset compiled by ourselves and the University of East Anglia’s Climate Research Unit.

We announced that this work was going on in March and it was finished this week. You can see the HadCRUT4 website here.

The linear trend from August 1997 (in the middle of an exceptionally strong El Nino) to August 2012 (coming at the tail end of a double-dip La Nina) is about 0.03°C/decade, amounting to a temperature increase of 0.05°C over that period, but equally we could calculate the linear trend from 1999, during the subsequent La Nina, and show a more substantial warming.
The below graph which shows years ranked in order of global temperature was not included in the response to Mr Rose, but is useful in this context as it illustrates the point made above that eight of the warmest years on record have occurred in the past decade.
http://metofficenews.files.wordpress.com/2012...
http://metofficenews.wordpress.com/category/m...

As usual, the denier blogs will spread anything all over the universe without going to the source.
litesong

Lynnwood, WA

#32883 Nov 16, 2012
Fair Game wrote:
The morons at Wattsup are excited, in the same way that they were excited about the Arctic sea ice "recovery".
Here's a quote 'wattsup'(always small letters) had about the 2008 Arctic sea ice recovery:
"Go nature!"

Guess ANTHONY's(sorry 'bout that....anthony's) cheers weren't heard by nature......The Arctic minimum sea ice VOLUME in 2012 was less than 50% of the 2008 VOLUME. Who's heard of 'death spiral'.

Of course, their present interpretation of, "Go nature" is "go away, nature', get rid of the ice, so we can steam all over the Arctic & fish, hunt, kill, exploit, deplete, & pollute to our heart's content..... with the godly blessings of the Heartland(sorry 'bout that.... heartland.... better yet.... cut the 'heart out without the godly blessings')
PHD

Overton, TX

#32884 Nov 17, 2012
The climate here changed again the experts said it would be cold and wet. Today it’s warm and dry. What would we do without the experts.
frogmann

Pittsburgh, PA

#32885 Nov 17, 2012
youtube.com/watch... ……Its artificially being temperature elevated,,,proven
PHD

Overton, TX

#32886 Nov 17, 2012
What would we do wthout youtube and experts?
cricket

Winter Park, FL

#32887 Nov 17, 2012
PHD wrote:
What would we do wthout youtube and experts?
.....especially your armchair expertise & pontificating, And the rest of your goon squad's scientific & climate ignorance.

Still not walking the walk yet, I see. All hot air. Are you & the ignorant goon squad the cause of mmcc that you are so ardently fighting with your keyboard? lol.
PHD

Overton, TX

#32889 Nov 17, 2012
cricket wrote:
<quoted text>
.....especially your armchair expertise & pontificating, And the rest of your goon squad's scientific & climate ignorance.
Still not walking the walk yet, I see. All hot air. Are you & the ignorant goon squad the cause of mmcc that you are so ardently fighting with your keyboard? lol.
Well than show us your work the cut and paste thing you do is old. Looks like your stumbling not walking.My armchair expertise never makes climate errors unlike you so called experts.Try again.

“I Luv Carbon Dioxide”

Since: Dec 08

Location hidden

#32890 Nov 17, 2012
I'm pro global warming, pro emitting greenhouse gas and pro climate change. Let's go for it and conserve when we're dead. We'll be dead for forever. that's enough conservation for anyone.

Don't die now by restricting CO2 emissions, live for today.
PHD

Overton, TX

#32891 Nov 17, 2012
Brian_G wrote:
I'm pro global warming, pro emitting greenhouse gas and pro climate change. Let's go for it and conserve when we're dead. We'll be dead for forever. that's enough conservation for anyone.
Don't die now by restricting CO2 emissions, live for today.
You will only live until your number is called. With or without climate change you will pay taxes and die.
Teddy R

Manlius, NY

#32892 Nov 18, 2012
Fair Game wrote:
<quoted text>
As there is an upward trend, no one is worried.
But ... but ... I thought the upward trend was BAD, and we should ALL be worried to the point of throwing trillions of scarce public money away on carbon elimination pipe-dreams, and all go back toweaking hand-made Birkenstocks and living in yurts, reading by the fading light of windmills and solar bird genocide machines, and biking to the store.

Now you're saying no one is worried because there IS an upward trend.

How's a body to keep straight what planet-ending catasrophe to be irrationally frightened of?
Teddy R

Manlius, NY

#32893 Nov 18, 2012
*catastrophe

“EnvironMENTAList ”

Since: Feb 07

Near Detroit

#32894 Nov 19, 2012
Climate change crisis would have been a virtual “comet hit” of an emergency if it had been true,(Since nothing besides nuclear war could be worse-deny that please?) and it has turned out obviously to not be the crisis science claimed it “might” have been.

-IF it were a crisis the world would be in a global emergency status and the millions of people in the global scientific community would be leading the mission to deal with a climate crisis and probable death of their own children, not just ours.
-If it were a crisis the news of this coming crisis would be the leading tag on social media and at the top of the news casts and not at the bottom.
-The UN would have issued TV commercials and issued posters and bumper stickers because a little climate crisis is impossible.

The exaggeration of climate change was astounding and history is already calling this CO2 madness; climate control omen worship; “I see the signs of change. The change is all around us…. We must please the angry weather gods.”

Since: Mar 09

Wichita, KS

#32895 Nov 19, 2012
Teddy R wrote:
<quoted text>
And just one small question for you why is it do you think, that Dr. Jones finds the prospect of observing the global warming trend halting something to be "WORRIED" about?
Curious choice of words, n'est-ce pas?
The thought is that the slowing down of the warming trend for a few years is simply noise in the ever climbing upward direction. This gives the deniers a false sense that the warming is over when it actually is not. The "worry" is that the political pressures will be such that action is shelved and the problem is not taken at face value.
toadmann

Pittsburgh, PA

#32896 Nov 19, 2012
youtube.com/watch... …… non virgin ranting?
litesong

Lynnwood, WA

#32897 Nov 19, 2012
steenking piddling diddling middling mudling mudslinger brian_g stumble butt dumpster diver wrote:
We'll be dead for forever. that's enough conservation for anyone.
Philosophy of atheist toxic topix AGW deniers, racist pigs, & alleged & proud threateners, like "steenking piddling diddling middling mudling mudslinger brian_g stumble butt dumpster diver" & "steenking piddling diddling middling mudling mudslinger dirtling".

Jesus is a liberal AGW plot!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Chicago Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 8 min Teaman 1,141,577
This guy is GOD to Piano Legs & the Malignant M... 21 min Bilbo Alinsky 13
The Road to Perdition is strewn with the corpses 25 min StillfuckingWorth... 12
comparison 1 hr FROM WWII 2 NOW 4
Obama Plays Boss of America...............excel... 1 hr The Author 2
Amy 11-22 2 hr Mister Tonka 6
Four letter word game (Dec '11) 2 hr RACE 1,321
BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting... (Jan '09) 3 hr jacques Ottawa 180,613
Chicago Dating
Find my Match

Chicago People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Chicago News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Chicago

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]

NFL Latest News

Updated 12:50 pm PST

NBC Sports12:50PM
Rob Gronkowski fined $8,268 for bouncer move