First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Since: Jan 10

Location hidden

#21 Apr 19, 2013
Kuuipo wrote:
LW1: Good answer from Amy. Your other choice is to move to California. In San Francisco, you and your wife will be the conservative couple.
Heh. "YOU're MARRIED? What are you, Republican gays?" ;)
Kuuipo

Marina, CA

#22 Apr 19, 2013
RedheadwGlasses wrote:
<quoted text>
Heh. "YOU're MARRIED? What are you, Republican gays?" ;)
True story, I swear. I went to the Castro district in SF to see a film made by a local acquaintance. I was with a large group of people. When we were walking to our cars, a member of our party exclaimed, "There's a naked man walking down the street!" Well, he wasn't really naked. He was wearing shoes and socks, nothing else.

“I Am Mine”

Since: Dec 08

Location hidden

#23 Apr 19, 2013
LW1: "But I'm wondering if you could recommend a better way of dealing with it."
Have you tried ignoring them? Why do you care to engage them at all?

I was at Lowes this weekend, getting some lumber. There were 2 registers in the construction area. There was a line at one, but no line at the other. We went to that line, then the lady told us she was taking customers from the other line. Ok. So we went to the back of that line. While in line, some lady rolls up to the same register just as its about to be our turn. And I'm about to be pissed, but cashier holds form and tells her she's taking customers from the single line formed at the other register. Sweet.

But then the old bat tried the "but I've just got one item" line. Wrong, she has a cart with a bunch of lumber just like me. The cashier comes out from behind the counter with the scan gun and starts scanning my stuff. Old bat then looks at me and facetiously says "What a gentleman!" Know what I said to her? Not a god damn thing. Turned my back to her and completely ignored her. She already made up her mind that she deserved special treatment. I was content that she didn't get it. Don't give a rat's ass what her opinion of me was.

LW2: "How do I say no to people who invite themselves to my house?"

Pay attention. Its a little tricky. Say he word "nobody". Now say it again, but leave off the "body" part.

“I Am Mine”

Location hidden

#24 Apr 19, 2013
Errm wrote:
LW1-
Ironically enough, a generation ago straight women could hug,kiss and hold hands and only the rudest, most juvenile folks would have thought they were gay much less said anything. Straight women could travel together or even live together without folks making unwarranted assumption . However; thanks to the gay movement straight women nowadays face exactly the same kind of crap straight men have always faced if they dared show any kind of non hostile interaction with each other.
What word were you living in 10 years ago. Maybe only the rude or juvenile said anything to them, but there's no world I know of where women could hold hands and kiss in public and not be thought of as gay.

“I Am Mine”

Location hidden

#25 Apr 19, 2013
Stina wrote:
LW1: How do people know if you are a couple if you aren't showing any affection?
Is holding hands showing affection? And what squishy said. Even without any overt acts, I think its pretty easy tell who's a couple vs say, just brother and sister. Same thing would apply to da gays.

Location hidden

#26 Apr 19, 2013
Aw, man, Tonka, do you get a sense that you will be able to at least check in in the mornings or at lunch at some point?

“reign in blood”

Since: May 09

Braidwood, IL

#27 Apr 19, 2013
Mister Tonka wrote:
Even without any overt acts, I think its pretty easy tell who's a couple
Whole-heartedly disagree with you, sexy.

Are you saying that if you see two women walk into a Sub Way and order their food and sit down at a table, you're able to tell if they're a gay couple, co-workers, sisters, or friends? And why are you paying so much attention?

I agree with Stina that if they're not outwardly acting gay, their perceived reactions from people are mostly in their heads.

“I Am Mine”

Location hidden

#28 Apr 19, 2013
RedheadwGlasses wrote:
Aw, man, Tonka, do you get a sense that you will be able to at least check in in the mornings or at lunch at some point?
I've been reading and posting a bit at lunch. New job has more stringent web filtering. I can't even access gmail from work computer. So smart phone access during down time it is.
Stina

Saint Petersburg, FL

#30 Apr 22, 2013
Mister Tonka wrote:
<quoted text>Is holding hands showing affection? And what squishy said. Even without any overt acts, I think its pretty easy tell who's a couple vs say, just brother and sister. Same thing would apply to da gays.
Yes, holding hands is absolutely a sign of affection. Like dog said, how can you tell if 2 people of the same gender walk into a Subway order a sandwaich, sitdown and eat - how can you tell by that if they are a couple? If they aren't doing anything to show it, as the LW posits, then they aren't getting any stares.

“I Am Mine”

Location hidden

#31 Apr 22, 2013
Stina wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes, holding hands is absolutely a sign of affection. Like dog said, how can you tell if 2 people of the same gender walk into a Subway order a sandwaich, sitdown and eat - how can you tell by that if they are a couple? If they aren't doing anything to show it, as the LW posits, then they aren't getting any stares.
I was not counting holdoing hands. To me that is very innocuous and would not garner the same type of attention as sonething more overt like kissing.

To me, seeing them hold hands or be more comfortable touching each other or the proximity in which they stand next to each other, ie: body language. i don't classify that as affection.
Stina

Saint Petersburg, FL

#32 Apr 22, 2013
Mister Tonka wrote:
<quoted text>I was not counting holdoing hands. To me that is very innocuous and would not garner the same type of attention as sonething more overt like kissing.
To me, seeing them hold hands or be more comfortable touching each other or the proximity in which they stand next to each other, ie: body language. i don't classify that as affection.
Except that is blatently showing affection. I wouldn't hold my brother's had or stand unusually close to a cousin. Two women holding hands IS a show of affection and would absolutely garner stares, especially in a conservative locale.

I went to Disney this weekend. I did not hold my friend's hand.

“I Am Mine”

Location hidden

#33 Apr 22, 2013
Stina wrote:
<quoted text>
Except that is blatently showing affection. I wouldn't hold my brother's had or stand unusually close to a cousin. Two women holding hands IS a show of affection and would absolutely garner stares, especially in a conservative locale.
I went to Disney this weekend. I did not hold my friend's hand.
If that's how you feel. I just don't put it in the same category as kissing, which , to me, is more in line with the edog crowd's definition of 'flaunting' their gayness. To me holding hands is not screaminv out loud,'look at me. I'm gay'. Its simply not trying to hide it.

“Checks and Balances”

Since: Apr 13

Location hidden

#34 Apr 22, 2013
Mister Tonka wrote:
<quoted text>If that's how you feel. I just don't put it in the same category as kissing, which , to me, is more in line with the edog crowd's definition of 'flaunting' their gayness. To me holding hands is not screaminv out loud,'look at me. I'm gay'. Its simply not trying to hide it.
But to dog, acknowledging each other in public is flaunting their gayness.

I would consider holding hands being affectionate, though not inappropriately so.

Location hidden

#35 Apr 22, 2013
Mister Tonka wrote:
<quoted text>If that's how you feel. I just don't put it in the same category as kissing, which , to me, is more in line with the edog crowd's definition of 'flaunting' their gayness. To me holding hands is not screaminv out loud,'look at me. I'm gay'. Its simply not trying to hide it.
I can agree with that.
Stina

Saint Petersburg, FL

#36 Apr 22, 2013
ScarletandOlive wrote:
<quoted text>
But to dog, acknowledging each other in public is flaunting their gayness.
I would consider holding hands being affectionate, though not inappropriately so.
I don't think that it's inappropriate at all, either. I am just saying that the LW said they showed no signs of affection (which I believe means nothing to tip off that they were gay)but were still getting glared at. Holding hands WOULD tip off that they were gay. If they were TRULY not doing ANYTHING to show that they were a couple, then the glares are all in their head is all I am saying.

While holding hands and blatant PDA (kissing) are 2 different "categories", holding hands is DEFINITELY a sign of affection.
Stina

Saint Petersburg, FL

#37 Apr 22, 2013
RedheadwGlasses wrote:
<quoted text>
I can agree with that.
Yes, but it is still letting everyone know. It's still affeciont. LW stated they weren't showing any signs of affection. WHile it's not "in your face", it's still showing affection. Whech they said they didn't.

Location hidden

#38 Apr 22, 2013
Stina wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes, but it is still letting everyone know. It's still affeciont. LW stated they weren't showing any signs of affection. WHile it's not "in your face", it's still showing affection. Whech they said they didn't.
True.`

“A Programmer is not in IT!”

Since: Feb 09

Neda, stay with me! Charlie

#39 Apr 22, 2013
but they were not showing any PDA. Lots of folks walk around with one person wearing a spiked dog collar and the other one holding the leash!
Stina wrote:
<quoted text>

Location hidden

#40 Apr 22, 2013
RACE wrote:
but they were not showing any PDA. Lots of folks walk around with one person wearing a spiked dog collar and the other one holding the leash!
<quoted text>
Do you have a secret webcam in my bedroom?

“A Programmer is not in IT!”

Since: Feb 09

Neda, stay with me! Charlie

#41 Apr 22, 2013
Wait, I can explain that...
RedheadwGlasses wrote:
<quoted text>
Do you have a secret webcam in my bedroom?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Chicago Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 4 min Grey Ghostmoron 1,403,997
News BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting... (Jan '09) 1 hr Buster Steinbeizer 219,456
Oceans Gentlemen's Club. A totally awesome, er... 6 hr Strip club man 1
The Official Jonas Brother Chat Room!!!! (Oct '08) 9 hr Kayla Phillips 751
Rating girls 10 hr Habsm22 1
News Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds ... (Dec '08) 10 hr dGo mnaDed lyoH r... 60,658
Obama to head Mosque in City, 10 hr Sis Marian Roberta 1
Topix Chitown Regulars (Aug '09) 15 hr Sublime1 103,130

Chicago Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Chicago Mortgages