Miley Cyrus joins the Miss USA debate...

Miley Cyrus joins the Miss USA debate over gay marriage

There are 319 comments on the Chicago Tribune story from Apr 23, 2009, titled Miley Cyrus joins the Miss USA debate over gay marriage. In it, Chicago Tribune reports that:

Kristen Dalton and Carrie Prejean may have finished a close 1-2 in last weekend's Miss USA pageantA and really, looking at them, it's tough to see much difference in the two tall, smiley blondsA but there is one area on which they don't agree: that gay marriage thing.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Chicago Tribune.

First Prev
of 16
Next Last
Bob in IL

Lombard, IL

#1 Apr 23, 2009
Why is a bottom feeder like Perez Hilton even in a position to judge something like this pageant? He's just another vampire feeding off the blood of the celebrity culture; nothing more than Billy Bush but more annoying.
JAM

New Milford, CT

#3 Apr 23, 2009
It's time.

Joe Mustich, Justice of the Peace,
Washington CT USA
GEM

Seattle, WA

#4 Apr 23, 2009
Why is this news?
marie

Philippines

#5 Apr 23, 2009
Right. We're putting importance to this sixteen year old's opinion.
Chris

Chicago, IL

#6 Apr 23, 2009
Why would Perez Hilton have the notion that people would respond in a way that he/it wanted to hear? He/it seemed shocked at her response.

Perez Hilton is some strange guy who fortunately sits in a corner quietly most of the time. It is unfortunate that he was put in this position where he can try to push his agenda, an agenda that most of America disagrees with. The fact that he is upset about someone voicing their opinion when THEY WERE ASKED FOR THEIR OPINION only makes him less relevant as a judge.
Common Sense

Nashville, TN

#7 Apr 23, 2009
Nice to know that the Miss USA contest hired a judge who decided to penalize a contestant for her religious beliefs.

Since: Apr 09

Northbrook

#8 Apr 23, 2009
Bob in IL wrote:
Why is a bottom feeder like Perez Hilton even in a position to judge something like this pageant? He's just another vampire feeding off the blood of the celebrity culture; nothing more than Billy Bush but more annoying.
My thoughts exactly. Perez had his own
politcal agenda here. Hey Perez I have news for you..Prop 8 failed! That means the majority of people in
Miss California's state saw it her way.
Jack Wilson

Chicago, IL

#10 Apr 23, 2009
You don't have to be religious to be against homosexual marriage. You can be against it because it's an idiotic concept.
Iknowthatguy

Willowbrook, IL

#11 Apr 23, 2009
Miley Cyrus,theologian,philosopher,s ocial scientist,thespian,and dental assistant.
Keith

Arlington, VA

#12 Apr 23, 2009
Well, I am glad Miss California spoke her opinion, why did this need to be a question in the pageant? All Mr. Hilton was trying to do is push his agenda. The question should have been through out. Why does everything have to settle to politics?
MindTraffic

Palatine, IL

#13 Apr 23, 2009
Jack Wilson wrote:
You don't have to be religious to be against homosexual marriage. You can be against it because it's an idiotic concept.
Like interracial marriage was fifty years ago?
Kim

Washington, PA

#14 Apr 23, 2009
The real issue here is that Miss Prejean was punished for her beliefs. One pageant official stated that [and I am paraphrasing] "religion has no place in the pageant". Perhaps he should have screened the questions and eliminated the ones that would obviously involve religion. I am becoming more and more convinced that she [Miss Prejean] was set up for the hatchet job that was pulled on her. I am in agreement that the pageant cheapened itself by having Mr. Hilton there in the first place. He is not a journalist, he is a smarmy, miserable, and profane blogger who shows no tolerance to anyone who dares to disagree with his agenda.
Geesh

United States

#18 Apr 23, 2009
Is our society that weak that we actually respect the opinions of the disconnected? People need to get a grip and start thinking for themselves. Perez Hilton is a pile of dung and Miley is a no body.
Destructo

Brenham, TX

#20 Apr 23, 2009
Shameful. This is the worst excuse for click baiting I've ever seen (and journalism, for that matter.)
How is it that you have the nut of the story - and the subject of the headline - in the SECOND TO LAST PARAGRAPH????
Marla

Chicago, IL

#24 Apr 23, 2009
::blank stare::
allforit

United States

#25 Apr 23, 2009
While I agree the question should not have been present in the pageant (and I'm no fan of Mr. Hilton either), a point: has anyone bothered to think that the right to be legally married has nothing to do with religion? Some of us would like the right to be able to visit our significant others in the hospital and make decisions if needed, not to mention the many other social and economic factors of being married. If I wanted a religious marriage, I would belong to a church. So while Miss California was well within her right to be truthful about her answer, and I thought she was great; the question was not about religion. It was political.
Michael Anthony

Chicago, IL

#26 Apr 23, 2009
Kim wrote:
The real issue here is that Miss Prejean was punished for her beliefs. One pageant official stated that [and I am paraphrasing] "religion has no place in the pageant". Perhaps he should have screened the questions and eliminated the ones that would obviously involve religion. I am becoming more and more convinced that she [Miss Prejean] was set up for the hatchet job that was pulled on her. I am in agreement that the pageant cheapened itself by having Mr. Hilton there in the first place. He is not a journalist, he is a smarmy, miserable, and profane blogger who shows no tolerance to anyone who dares to disagree with his agenda.
Miss California was set-up? Thanks for the laugh, I needed one this morning!
Did it ever occur to you, and others, that perhaps it was also her BUMBLING reply to the question?? Her very first words misstated current state of gay marriage in the US!
Besides, as one person said on TV, they ask questions about war and other "in the news" topics. Miss California happens to come from the state where Prop 8 has been extensively covered. It is a very relevant question. It would be no different than Miss Illinois being asked about the corruption in politics!
Gal G

United States

#27 Apr 23, 2009
People, please remember this is the USA. She has the right to free speech also, even if I don't agree with her stance. You want your rights, but it shouldn't be taking away another persons rights in the process.
Final Answer

United States

#28 Apr 23, 2009
Who cares about the political agenda of Mario Armando Lavandeira, Jr. Marriage is between one man and one woman. Always has been. Always will be. Any same-sex "civil union" or "marriage" is just pandering to the gays and giving them one more fantasy.
Dinz

Etobicoke, Canada

#29 Apr 23, 2009
I'm truly proud of Miss California's honest and God fearing answer to Perez Hilton's question. Good for her for standing strong in what she believes in. You will get your reward in Heaven and most importanly you should so thrilled that "THE WORLD" is upset with your answer:-)

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 16
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Chicago Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting... (Jan '09) 7 min Jacques Orleans 212,978
News West Englewood slaying: Third brother shot in s... 45 min bozo 3
Word (Dec '08) 1 hr Red_Forman 5,975
Double Word Game (Dec '11) 1 hr Red_Forman 2,249
last post wins! (Apr '13) 1 hr Red_Forman 925
last post wins! (Dec '10) 1 hr Red_Forman 1,967
{keep A word drop A word} (Oct '11) 1 hr Red_Forman 8,076
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Chicago Mortgages