First Prev
of 2
Next Last
pde

Palatine, IL

#21 Oct 30, 2013
RACE wrote:
And if you would just replace the batteries every year, they would never go off except when you needed them to.
Your the reason we keep hearing this pita psa.
<quoted text>
They replace the battery when it starts beeping. I replace the battery when it starts beeping. It's kind of a waste to replace a battery yearly when the backup batteries only die every three to five years. Replacing them yearly is also a way to put a lot of additional hazardous waste into landfills, given that a lot of people think that correctly recycling consumer batteries is bs.

The PITA PSA is mainly due to slumlord type landlords who disconnect and disable smoke detectors in apartments even though they're required to keep them functional. That's the typical place where you find disabled smoke detectors. My dad used to do apartment inspections and something like 50% of properties failed because the smoke detectors had been intentionally disabled so they didn't have to be "maintained" (by putting in new batteries on a regular basis). I always tested my smoke detectors after I moved into an apartment and complained until it was made functional. I think I only ever moved into one apartment where the detectors were functional off the bat.

Since: Jun 09

Saint Petersburg, FL

#22 Oct 30, 2013
j_m_w wrote:
<quoted text>
They do. But I'm not as bad as Tonka, I will go out at midnight and buy a battery! ;)
Actually, since that happened to me ONCE, I now always have a spare battery in my junk drawer.
But I really should replace them all regularly. Two of the smoke detectors in my current apartment are pretty close together, and one started beeping one night. It took some maneuvering to figure out which one it was.
Why do the batteries always die at night?
It's ALWAYS at night! I have the batteries now, too. I used to be better about it when I lived across from a fire station because they'd put signs out every time there was a clock change.

“I Am Mine”

Since: Dec 08

Location hidden

#23 Oct 30, 2013
j_m_w wrote:
<quoted text>
They do. But I'm not as bad as Tonka, I will go out at midnight and buy a battery! ;)
Very safe and responsible. But certainly not easier than pulling the damn thing out of the ceiling till tomorrow.

“reign in blood”

Since: May 09

Braidwood, IL

#24 Oct 30, 2013
Mister Tonka wrote:
<quoted text>Very safe and responsible. But certainly not easier than pulling the damn thing out of the ceiling till tomorrow.
Then your house catches on fire that night.... See, I kinda see that as taunting Karma.

“I Am Mine”

Since: Dec 08

Location hidden

#25 Oct 30, 2013
edogxxx wrote:
<quoted text>
Then your house catches on fire that night.... See, I kinda see that as taunting Karma.
Karma shmarma. been in tis house over 10 years. I'll take the risk that tonight's not gonna be the night.

Toj

“Where is Everyone?”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#26 Oct 31, 2013
Mister Tonka wrote:
<quoted text>Karma shmarma. been in tis house over 10 years. I'll take the risk that tonight's not gonna be the night.
That's how I deal with it. Lived many years in my parents home with no smoke detector. No one had them back then. Figure not tempting fate too much for just one night.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Chicago Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 6 min Julia 1,564,080
News BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting... (Jan '09) 49 min huntcoyotes 242,239
{keep A word drop A word} (Oct '11) 6 hr SweLL GirL 11,013
News Ill. House Approves Legalizing Same-Sex Civil U... (Dec '10) 12 hr Belleforche 52,055
Maxwell street ghosts 13 hr Anonymous 3
I'm Johnny towing 13 hr Anonymous 1
Jonny's Towing is Chicagoland's Most Crooked Co... 13 hr Anonymous 67

Chicago Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Chicago Mortgages