of 2
Next Last

“I Am Mine”

Since: Dec 08

Location hidden

#21 Jan 2, 2013
j_m_w wrote:
<quoted text>
In college, I bought a bike on my friend's Sam's Club card. We were both standing at the register and she forked over her membership card and I forked over the money. The cashier couldn't have cared less.
But in that situation, there really wasn't anything for the cashier to care about anyway. What you did is in line with the rules. You are allowed to bring a guest. Your guests are allowed to shop. They're not there just to salivate at the glorious feast of the Sam's Club, but not get a taste. You guys did not get away with anything.
Kuuipo

Monterey, CA

#22 Jan 2, 2013
The markup on retail jewelry is > 50%. LW should chill and follow through on her promise. I guarantee you that the employer does NOT care and it is important to a) keep your promises and b) not create hard feelings with family members. IMHO.

OT: I used to work at a software company that sells great, but expensive products. We were given an awesome employee discount. We were allowed to purchase 5 of each of their products every year for $40 each! It was perfectly OK to purchase them for family and friends. The only stipulation was that we were not allowed to mark up and resell the software. So I could ask my friend to pay $40 and suggest that he could show his appreciation by taking me to lunch, but I could not, legally, ask $80 for it. Neither I nor anyone I knew abused the privilege.

Since: Mar 09

Miami, FL

#23 Jan 2, 2013
Mister Tonka wrote:
<quoted text> But in that situation, there really wasn't anything for the cashier to care about anyway. What you did is in line with the rules. You are allowed to bring a guest. Your guests are allowed to shop. They're not there just to salivate at the glorious feast of the Sam's Club, but not get a taste. You guys did not get away with anything.
I didn't think we were, but I don't see this is being very different from the situation you described. I guess the presence of the member, that's it.

Since: Jan 10

Location hidden

#24 Jan 2, 2013
Kuuipo wrote:
The markup on retail jewelry is > 50%. LW should chill and follow through on her promise. I guarantee you that the employer does NOT care and it is important to a) keep your promises and b) not create hard feelings with family members. IMHO.
The markup actually is 400% to 500% Even crazier!(THat could just be the mark-up on DIAMOND jewelry, though, not everything.)

“reign in blood”

Since: May 09

Wilmington, IL

#25 Jan 2, 2013
Mister Tonka wrote:
You guys did not get away with anything.
If the employee discount is only for the EMPLOYEE, then technically, they did.

“reign in blood”

Wilmington, IL

#26 Jan 2, 2013
RedheadwGlasses wrote:
<quoted text>
The markup actually is 400% to 500% Even crazier!(THat could just be the mark-up on DIAMOND jewelry, though, not everything.)
I heard that diamonds are marked up because people EXPECT to pay a lot for diamonds. If the diamond is cheap, people feel they may be getting a sub-par diamond.

“A Programmer is not in IT!”

Since: Feb 09

Neda, stay with me!

#27 Jan 2, 2013
dude, your reading comprehension is shot!
He responded to a sams club purchase, the only employee was the cashier.
edogxxx wrote:
<quoted text>
If the employee discount is only for the EMPLOYEE, then technically, they did.
Kuuipo

Monterey, CA

#28 Jan 2, 2013
RedheadwGlasses wrote:
<quoted text>
Thanks! I knew it was ridiculously high, but I was too busy/lazy to Google.

“reign in blood”

Wilmington, IL

#29 Jan 2, 2013
RACE wrote:
dude, your reading comprehension is shot!
He responded to a sams club purchase, the only employee was the cashier.
<quoted text>
Quit grasping at hairs, it's still a discount meant only for the member, not non-members. It's like taking my friend to Jewel and having him/her use their Jewel card for a discount I wouldn't otherwise get, yet I pay for it and pay the discounted price, is a violation of the membership (or employee discount) policy.

“What's it to ya?”

Location hidden

#30 Jan 2, 2013
edogxxx wrote:
<quoted text>
Quit grasping at hairs, it's still a discount meant only for the member, not non-members. It's like taking my friend to Jewel and having him/her use their Jewel card for a discount I wouldn't otherwise get, yet I pay for it and pay the discounted price, is a violation of the membership (or employee discount) policy.
So when people who live with me, in my house (my niece) go with me to Costco, their contribution towards that 500 pound block of American cheese (which I won't eat) is against the rules?

Get.a.grip. Places like Costco/Sam's Club/et.al. allow you to bring in a guest(s) so that the guest(s) will want to join the club. They allow the guests to make purchases while they are with the member. There's no violation of anything.

Years ago I worked in a salon that was inside of a department store. The salon wasn't owned by the store, they were owned by some company in Minnesota, but they leased the location from the store. The store nevertheless gave the salon employees, who got their paycheck from the company in Minnesota rather than the store, to use an employee discount (35% by the way).

At Christmas one year, my mom, along with my sister, her husband and kid, and all four of my step-sister's kids that my mom was raising descended on me and my teeny tiny house. We went shopping at the department store. You bet your ass that I used my discount not just for me but for everything my mom and sister were buying too. <shrug>

“What's it to ya?”

Location hidden

#31 Jan 2, 2013
edogxxx wrote:
<quoted text>
Oh and change your avatar. Holidays are over. <nod nod>

“reign in blood”

Wilmington, IL

#32 Jan 2, 2013
Mimi Seattle wrote:
<quoted text>
So when people who live with me, in my house (my niece) go with me to Costco, their contribution towards that 500 pound block of American cheese (which I won't eat) is against the rules?
Get.a.grip. Places like Costco/Sam's Club/et.al. allow you to bring in a guest(s) so that the guest(s) will want to join the club. They allow the guests to make purchases while they are with the member. There's no violation of anything.
Years ago I worked in a salon that was inside of a department store. The salon wasn't owned by the store, they were owned by some company in Minnesota, but they leased the location from the store. The store nevertheless gave the salon employees, who got their paycheck from the company in Minnesota rather than the store, to use an employee discount (35% by the way).
At Christmas one year, my mom, along with my sister, her husband and kid, and all four of my step-sister's kids that my mom was raising descended on me and my teeny tiny house. We went shopping at the department store. You bet your ass that I used my discount not just for me but for everything my mom and sister were buying too. <shrug>
I'm arguing on a technicality of Tonka's statement. Unless it's Sam's Club policy to allow a non-member to use a member's discount as long as said member is there, then so be it. If that is not their policy however, then yes, a violation occurred.

Not that I think most cashiers would even care anyway. They likely aren't living large themselves and wouldn't make an issue about giving someone else a break on a "technicality."

“reign in blood”

Wilmington, IL

#33 Jan 2, 2013
Mimi Seattle wrote:
<quoted text>
Oh and change your avatar. Holidays are over. <nod nod>
Yeah, I've been meaning to. But I've been busy with drinking and not working and paying higher taxes. Soon.

“What's it to ya?”

Location hidden

#34 Jan 2, 2013
edogxxx wrote:
<quoted text>
Yeah, I've been meaning to. But I've been busy with drinking and not working and paying higher taxes. Soon.
Again, if you're not working, you don't pay taxes. And, if you're getting unemployment, you aren't getting enough money for the tax increase to affect you anyway. Quit whining about that. It doesn't apply to you.

“reign in blood”

Wilmington, IL

#35 Jan 3, 2013
Mimi Seattle wrote:
<quoted text>
Again, if you're not working, you don't pay taxes. And, if you're getting unemployment, you aren't getting enough money for the tax increase to affect you anyway. Quit whining about that. It doesn't apply to you.
It most certainly does so! I still pay taxes and while I'm gonna take about a ten thousand dollar pay cut this year, my taxes are still going up. Maybe instead of paying an extra $1,000 a year, I'll only have to pay an extra $600. Woo hoo.

Typical liberal mindset. Let's keep everyone on the government dole with their hands out and they'll be happy, instead of promoting prosperity.

Location hidden

#36 Jan 3, 2013
Look, your party had its turn. Lowering taxes, cutting spending, IT DIDN'T WORK. We ended up even worse. It's been proven there is no such thing as "trickle down economics."

“reign in blood”

Wilmington, IL

#37 Jan 3, 2013
The economy was a lot more prosperous under Bush than it is under Obama. Just saying.

Location hidden

#38 Jan 3, 2013
edogxxx wrote:
The economy was a lot more prosperous under Bush than it is under Obama. Just saying.
HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!! Leftover benefits from Clinton. Bush trashed this country.

“What's it to ya?”

Location hidden

#39 Jan 3, 2013
edogxxx wrote:
I've seen you say some ignorant things, but this one...this takes the cake!

“What's it to ya?”

Location hidden

#40 Jan 3, 2013
RedheadwGlasses wrote:
<quoted text>
HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!! Leftover benefits from Clinton. Bush trashed this country.
Just thought this needed to be repeated.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Chicago Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Ill. House Approves Legalizing Same-Sex Civil U... (Dec '10) 41 min KiMare 49,754
Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds ... (Dec '08) 46 min Earthling-1 46,556
Revisiting the early days of Chicago's social-d... 1 hr suoper hard 2
Biology & geography answers has been posted her... 2 hr Showboy1234 1
Real And Confirmed Waec GCE 2014 Biology Altern... 2 hr ToscoBoy 2
Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 3 hr bab4 1,108,389
Song Titles Only (group/artist in parenthesis m... (Mar '10) 4 hr SLY WEST 7,778
BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting... (Jan '09) 4 hr Learn to Read 177,941
•••
•••
Chicago Dating

more search filters

less search filters

•••

Chicago Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••
•••