DuPage teacher charged with battery on student

Full story: Chicago Tribune

A Catholic school teacher in DuPage County has been charged with battery after he was accused of "inappropriate touching" of a student in a classroom earlier this month, authorities said Thursday.
Comments
21 - 39 of 39 Comments Last updated Mar 6, 2009
First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Concerned

Downers Grove, IL

#25 Feb 29, 2008
I'm concerned, not about Mr. Johnson or the student, but rather about the press reporting this with incomplete facts. I will grant that what they reported probably contained all of the facts they had. But, the story is incomplete to the point that 'inappropriate touching' could be anything from something sexual to Mr. Johnson protecting himself from an assault by the student and being charged to "let the judge sort it out" (yep ... actually saw that happen once). In the case of this story the reader is left to speculate which can only hurt Mr. Johnson. Does anyone in the press consider the ramifications of what they write?
I believe it was the movie Absence of Malice that had the tagline "Suppose you picked up this morning's newspaper and your life was a front page headline... And everything they said was accurate... But none of it was true."
Nick Bajzek

San Francisco, CA

#26 Feb 29, 2008
Believe me, that teacher did nothing wrong. As the brother of two current Montini students and one graduate, I can tell you that those kids are a bunch of cry babys and whoever this student is probably made up about 70 percent of the story.
ANGRY

Wabash, IN

#27 Feb 29, 2008
if u dont know the full story
shut up
becouse is isnt fair to anyone cuaz montini is a good school
what now

Lake Zurich, IL

#28 Feb 29, 2008
ANGRY wrote:
if u dont know the full story
shut up
becouse is isnt fair to anyone cuaz montini is a good school
Pretending to be stupid doesn't help make your point.

No one here has said Montini isn't a good school.

What the posters are complaining about is the fact that this article was printed with so little information about what happened that it leaves this teacher open to a lot of speculation which may be unwarranted and very unfair. They should have had, or included, more specifics before going to press.
worried teacher

Naperville, IL

#29 Mar 1, 2008
I am a teacher and this news frightens the soul out of me. Any of us, professional and dedicated teachers could be the next victim of an immature and spoiled child. How come the school did not give him the benefit of the doubt? By letting him go, the school assumes he is guilty. That is something for the judge to decide.
Blah Blah

Warrensburg, MO

#30 Mar 2, 2008
I actually went to Montini for a year, I never had this teacher, I don't even know who he is, which is remarkable in a school that small. I do agree that people are too sensitive about teachers, but there was one teacher there, I won't say his name, but he was a TOTAL CREEP. I mean, SERIOUSLY. I think kids and parents need to lighten up, kids get away with too much these days (this coming from a college freshman who grew up in DuPage county, but not rich just surrounded by them). A lot of you guys who got pushed around by nuns and whoever turned out okay, but the majority of the kids my age and in my generation probably won't because we are used to getting away with whatever we want, everything is so readily at our grasp.
Dan O

Lincolnshire, IL

#31 Mar 4, 2008
Just remember a lot of the time the complaintent doesn't show .If you should ever been screwed in to this corprate pirate goverment.We should just start calling corruption corrparation can you tell the difference.
Buy American Art of Barter Ron Paul 1 out of a hundred people are in jail.These puppets
obama and clinton is just the same as Bush and Gore if we don't pull up our boot strap and start backing the wall crumbling wall of America it will belost forever
what now

Bartlett, IL

#33 Mar 4, 2008
Montini Alumni wrote:
Its not just the students at Montini who could have been affected by this man as a teacher.
Affected. In what way?

Do we yet know what he actually did? Let's find that out first, THEN worry about whether or not other kids were "affected"!

Or are you privy to information about this incident that the rest of us don't have?
BLACK PANTHER

Chicago, IL

#34 Mar 4, 2008
The urban American teachers can't teach their classes, because if a pretty teenage girl brushes her soft butt up against his hungry mobjo, or sits in his lab, when he's not looking, then they can holler "rape," just to get the poor male teahcer fired. Or if he pushes a young agrressive male back, after being punched and kicked by local gang bangers, then the police can charge him with physical assualt of a minor.

Since: Feb 08

Downers Grove, IL

#35 Mar 4, 2008
So little information to draw on from this article so let me jump on the bandwagon. Maybe if we would allow teachers to discipline kids once in a while this country wouldn't be as screwed up as it is. When I was growing up if I screwed up in school it was my fault not the teachers.
Dave

United States

#36 Mar 4, 2008
BUBBA wrote:
IF HE WAS A PRIEST THE CATHOLIC CHURCH WOULD PROTECT HIM.
Not these days....
Concerned

Downers Grove, IL

#37 Mar 5, 2008
Montini Alumni wrote:
I went to Montini and graduated from there. Now out of college, I thank my teachers for putting me on the path to a great education.
I just wanted to point out an error in the article. Robert Johnson only worked for Montini for two years. This being his second year. Before that we worked 25 years as a counselor at Riverside Brookfield HS and 10 years at St. Patricks (8 as an English Teacher and 2 as a Guidance Counselor). Its not just the students at Montini who could have been affected by this man as a teacher. he has over 30 years of experience in public and private schools.
I'm sure you're thinking of someone else. The Suburban Life article says that Mr. Johnson is 43 years old. Given the work history you have listed that would have made him an English teacher at St. Patrick's when he was 11. No matter how bright, they (the Feds) won't let you work full time as a teacher when you're 11.

With this story we need more good information ... not just more people implying that Mr. Johnson could have "affected" more students. I'm not sure he "affected" anybody.
John doe

Fort Wayne, IN

#38 Mar 9, 2008
Im not sure if many of the people are posting actually knew what happened, or they are just trying to make comments about WHEN they were in High school, news flash, that was most likley more then 10-30 years ago, the Cold war IS over. R.J. has been charged with Battery for just that 'Inappropriate touching', meaning he touched someone in the pivate parts. And for you who say "well thats not battery" yes, it is. Battery can come in many shapes and forms and in most cases is some then sexual assualt. So in that case everyone who is saying Montini is full of "spoiled brat" with a bunch of money, how about knowing the facts first. Most of the people who go there can't afford the 8 grand and get financial aid because Montini is a college prep school and their public schools are full of gangs, and teachers is some cases dont care. I read some of these posts and i had to ask myself if mature adults were writing them, my guess is no. Whether the charges are true or false, althought you think it is, your comments are NOT important nor intelligent. And taking cheap shots on a GREAT school for something they couldnt help, for taking the precautionary actions to ensure the safety of all the students is REALLY immature, grow up, and stop talking about what happen to YOU in your days, the Nuclear Missle Crises is over and gas is now $3.00, wake up.

Since: Feb 08

Downers Grove, IL

#40 Mar 10, 2008
John doe wrote:
So in that case everyone who is saying Montini is full of "spoiled brat" with a bunch of money, how about knowing the facts first. Most of the people who go there can't afford the 8 grand and get financial aid because Montini is a college prep school and their public schools are full of gangs, and teachers is some cases dont care.
If you're going to talk about facts how about having some?

My wife taught at the school for a few years and the majority of the kids are spoiled brats. Whether they're getting financial aide or not. Second, my last child graduated last year from a public high school in the area and while there are probably some gangs at the school it is not a huge problem. Being friends with several teachers at different high schools in that vicinity I feel pretty confident that what they tell me is accurate.
Chicago

Saint John, IN

#41 Mar 28, 2008
what now wrote:
<quoted text>
Affected. In what way?
Do we yet know what he actually did? Let's find that out first, THEN worry about whether or not other kids were "affected"!
Or are you privy to information about this incident that the rest of us don't have?
What a mess this reporting has created! The "Robert Johnson" you referred to is actually Robert JohnsTon" who worked at RB for so long. He is not involved in this mix up!!!!!!
Brian

San Francisco, CA

#42 Apr 9, 2008
Well, what can I say say about eight years of catholic school? Thank God! I finally saw the light and became an atheist! My adult life is free from guilt; free from judgement; free from fear. The only faith that has merit to it is Buddhism. Buddhism even makes sense to an atheist. To all of those insufferable, faith destroying nuns and lay teachers from St. Simon School in Los Altos, California who made it a daily habit to scream, hit, humiliate, lie, steal and even lie to parents and insult parents. I say: Thank you for ruining a very important part of my life. None of those looney tunes teaches there anymore. It was a long time ago while I attended that pathetic school. It was during the 70's and 80's. I still have very active (livid) memories of my eight years in "prison" at St. Simon School.
Kristin Bamford

Chicago, IL

#43 May 27, 2008
My father is the Robert JOHNSTON (guidance counselor)that you speak of. He is a wonderful man who happens to have a similar name to the Robert Johnson (the man in question who was the music director at Montini who worked there over 2 years) is the accused. Please remove your blasphemous comment about my father before you have a legal issue. He is a well recognized and accompished teacher and couselor with only positive feedback to speak of.
Montini Alumni wrote:
I went to Montini and graduated from there. Now out of college, I thank my teachers for putting me on the path to a great education.
I just wanted to point out an error in the article. Robert Johnson only worked for Montini for two years. This being his second year. Before that we worked 25 years as a counselor at Riverside Brookfield HS and 10 years at St. Patricks (8 as an English Teacher and 2 as a Guidance Counselor). Its not just the students at Montini who could have been affected by this man as a teacher. he has over 30 years of experience in public and private schools.
Danny

AOL

#44 Mar 6, 2009
I got hit pleant of times by nuns andmany times for no reason at all what they did back in the 60's was child abuse
Danny

AOL

#45 Mar 6, 2009
I was hit pleanty of times by nuns and for no reason also.They were brutal. RecentlyI saw a paper by psychologist who did a study on the Nuns from the 60's, he determinedthat hey were very sick individuals with may emotions problems

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Chicago Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 9 min John Galt 1,102,061
Sin City is in the Streets of Chicago. Where i... 2 hr Culture Auditor 1
Ill. House Approves Legalizing Same-Sex Civil U... (Dec '10) 2 hr well 49,521
BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting... (Jan '09) 2 hr LRS 177,549
Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds ... (Dec '08) 2 hr gcaveman1 46,390
Messianic Jews say they are persecuted in Israel (Jun '08) 3 hr J RULES 69,109
{keep A word drop A word} (Oct '11) 4 hr the wandering girl 4,681
Topix Chitown Regulars (Aug '09) 10 hr RACE 97,985
•••
•••
•••

Chicago Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••

Chicago People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••

Chicago News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Chicago
•••

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]
•••