Advocates wish for local homeless shelter

Full story: Charlotte.com

Without a local shelter, Lake Norman's area homeless are heading to Charlotte and Statesville for housing.
Comments
1 - 12 of 12 Comments Last updated Oct 28, 2012
lost

Fitzgerald, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 28, 2007

Judged:

I may self am homeless and living in my car. I have a job, but it just doesn't pay enough and give enough hours for a single person to make it on their own. Housing rates are so high here, I work 25-30 hours a week, but for just a one bedroom apartment for one person is costing me nearly $800 a month with bills. And that's not to mention the food and health products for myself. I had no other choice but resort to living in my car, and it's really sad that American has forgotten their own. They just don't care about you if you don't have money. I know I have cancer, but just can't afford the health care here, and been turned away by a lot when I went looking for help because it is just me, I have no children and I am not 50 years old. This country is really bad about forgetting their people...
cindy

Edenton, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 29, 2008

Judged:

that is really sad but honey god sees all i am praying you get you some where and it is geting ready to get cold honey i am praying for you just give it to god and leave it thier he can take care of all your need just belive it will get better it is sad how they are doing thier on people
Hope to help

Davidson, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 1, 2008

We have some options for housing WELL under $800. Check the apartments off Wilson Rd. They are under $475 for a two bedroom. I lived there a while back and they are not horrible. They are fancy or nice they are just normanl.
Well Ok

Charlotte, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 4, 2008

Theirs a room for rent on west debbie ln 242 i think he wants 100 a week no power bill no water bill just the rent and he is willin to share the bath kitchen and laundry room as well 400 bucks a month and good side of town good looking starter option. If its still open saw the add last weekend in the paper.
amy

Mooresville, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 4, 2009

the apts. on Wilson Ave.?The Country Club?, they got bought by a new owner and are renting for 650 a month if I'm not mistaken. So with electric you might be looking at about 700-750 a month but I know that can be hard w/only one income. However they are 2 bedrooms so if you were able to find a roomate it might be doable. But I don't know how long it has been since Hope to help lived in Mooresville, it is VERY hard to find affordable housing in a good neighborhood here now. For that matter it is hard to find affordable housing in any neighborhood as far as I know. I mean a run down house in Mill Village rents for 650-800 a month and that isn't the greatest neighborhood. Never mind what the utilities would cost in a run down, old house. Good luck to "lost", I pray that you find some where that will work for you.
TryHarder

Oakboro, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 5, 2009

Judged:

lost wrote:
I may self am homeless and living in my car. I have a job, but it just doesn't pay enough and give enough hours for a single person to make it on their own. Housing rates are so high here, I work 25-30 hours a week, but for just a one bedroom apartment for one person is costing me nearly $800 a month with bills. And that's not to mention the food and health products for myself. I had no other choice but resort to living in my car, and it's really sad that American has forgotten their own. They just don't care about you if you don't have money. I know I have cancer, but just can't afford the health care here, and been turned away by a lot when I went looking for help because it is just me, I have no children and I am not 50 years old. This country is really bad about forgetting their people...
Try getting a second job if you can't make it on one. I do it and so do lot's of other people. I know the economy sounds bad but if your willing to work you can get ahead. Get motivated. Good luck!

Since: Nov 08

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 5, 2009

Judged:

TryHarder wrote:
<quoted text>Try getting a second job if you can't make it on one. I do it and so do lot's of other people. I know the economy sounds bad but if your willing to work you can get ahead. Get motivated. Good luck!
i agree with you completely. I've worked two jobs most of my life. It was never really because I HAD TO. I CHOSE to so that I could elevate my standard of living. I could have lived in a dumpy apartment and "gotten by" but I didn't want to.

Every time I hear people complain about thee being no jobs it really ticks me off. Each sunday I see so many help wanted ads in the paper. It may not be your dream job, but there are plenty f jobs for those who want them.
Keep your chin up

Charlotte, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 30, 2009

Judged:

Dear Blackcloud and Tryharder,

I admire your hard work but you're forgetting that this person HAS CANCER. This is an exausting and debilitating disease. I applaud this person for even maintaining a job during such a hardship. Please, lets be as supportive as possible and remember the facts.
tom

Mooresville, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 1, 2010

If we would all help out this wouldnt be a problem.we worry about war and poverty in other countries but forget our own home Not everyone can work two jobs. and who cares at a point where someone is homeless some help would be great i've been homeless I made it through it with help not a handout but help. From a taxi driver In Fla helped me find where to work and it paid off if more people where like him this would be a great world. One more thing i hear well he want to buy a beer or cigs well my friends if you could make someone in dire need happy for $5.00 wouldnt that be worth it. good luck my friend
Ready for action

Apex, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 11, 2010

I would like to start a homeless shelter. I have noticed the problem myself. However I don't really know how. If anyone shares my same interested please contact me. erykah334@yahoo.com. Relying on others to change this problem is not enought anymore.
Link to help

Hilton Head Island, SC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 28, 2012

Perhaps the link below will give you some assistance. There are also places in the link to assist you with your medical needs.

The Bible says to help the least among us. God Bless You!

http://charmeck.org/mecklenburg/county/MeckCA...
Link to help

Hilton Head Island, SC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 28, 2012

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
•••
•••
Charlotte Dating

more search filters

less search filters

•••

Charlotte Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••