city of belmont buys a 400.000 fire t...

city of belmont buys a 400.000 fire truck

Posted in the Charlotte Forum

First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Since: Apr 09

Location hidden

#1 Apr 9, 2014
its in the belmont banner today .. has this city lost its mind !!!!! and this is a used truck from another city .. a aerial platform ladder truck for 400.000 dollars and we don,t even have buildings tall enough to require this truck .. well here comes the biggest city tax increase you have ever seen .... vote these fools who are making these moron purchases out ...

this city has bought two new dodge charger police cars , two police trucks , and now they have fixed up stowe park with new mulch and pine needles did the city hit the lottery or what ???? if you did hit the lottery then give us tax payers a break ..
ardent observer

Gastonia, NC

#2 Apr 10, 2014
I can';t afford to live here much longer.
Reamo

Belmont, NC

#3 Apr 10, 2014
And just where are they going to park this truck? Looks Like SuperBucky,s dream has finally come true!
Smokin Joe

Belmont, NC

#4 Apr 10, 2014
All Belmont citizens will now bend over and squeal like a pig.
Scam Newton

United States

#5 Apr 10, 2014
Like Belmont really needs Dodge Chargers!!! Give me a break. Just another example of "trying to keep up with the Jones'". This city should be ashamed. What idiot made this decision?????
my name is barry

Indian Trail, NC

#6 Apr 10, 2014
And I make bad decisions
Concerned

Gastonia, NC

#7 Apr 11, 2014
FYI: it is not a platform ladder truck, it is a aerial ladder truck. The cost of a new truck like that one is around $800,000 to $1,000,000. Do your research before you complain about the price of what it was. Also drive by the station and ask the personnel about whether or not it fits in the station. It looks like to me that it goes in and comes out of the station. Also a ladder truck has many uses. I'm glad that they got one. This makes the fourth truck in this county that is a 105' ladder truck. (Not counting the 102' platform truck that belongs to the city of Gastonia that is always broke).

Location hidden

#8 Apr 11, 2014
hey concerned stupid ass

the area where the ladder attaches to the truck has a platform .. hence ,, aerial platform ladder truck .. google it if you know how to use a computer ... you need to get your shit straight before you come on here and act like you know something .. you don,t know shit !!!!! still we do not have any need for this truck .. what are the other uses .. taking it down town and flying a flag off the top of the ladder .. you stupid dumb ass ... and heres the kicker .. they bought it on credit ... how stupid can this towns management get

Location hidden

#9 Apr 11, 2014
if the city council approved this truck purchase then whats next ... a over sized fire house like that bull crap over in mount holly ???? come election time replace the city government from the top down !!!!!!!!
Smokin Joe

Belmont, NC

#10 Apr 12, 2014
They could use it to water your new soccer field. I,m sure everybody can,t wait to see it in the christmas parade. No wonder my brother constantly complains about his city tax bill! Which is as much as his county tax bill. I live outside the city limits, But I do have to take my own trash to the green boxes. Brutal, absolutely brutal! Can,t wait for them to build the new river park and then discover that there are no fish in that part of the river.
Concerned

Charlotte, NC

#11 Apr 12, 2014
Hey harleyrider,
I think you need to do some research, a platform has a bucket at the end of the ladder where firefighters stand. The TURNTABLE is where the ladder attaches to the truck. I'm glad everybody has a opinion about what goes on with public services. Maybe y'all should join a emergency service and then form a opinion. I was a fireman for 15 years. I can't stand to see people bad mouth a decision about a purchase of a piece of equipment that will help a department and the citizens it protects. Some purchases are dumb but get more information about it before you bad mouth it.

Location hidden

#12 Apr 12, 2014
concerned ,,

if we had buildings tall enough to require a truck like this then i would not be agains,t it .. but we do not have buildings that high here unless some moron plans on building some buildings that tall ... i thought we got that fool off the city council ... also another thing .. this purchase was not brought befgore the citizens of belmont to see if they wanted to be taxed to death to pay for this truck ... plain and simple ,, we do not need it and who ever approved it needs his ass fired ... do worry come election time ,, all these fools are going down the road ... i think its stupid as hell to put 400.000 on the tax payers credit card just to have this dumbass truck in the belmont parade every year
unconcerned

Gastonia, NC

#13 Apr 13, 2014
The reasoning for the 105' is not be able to reach buildings 105' tall. If a building is 50' tall, it is recommended that the aerial device be placed at least 75' away from the building so if the building collapses, it doesn't take out the $400,000 fire truck. So to be 75' away from a 50' tall building, you would need about 91' of ladder. Factor in the 5' that's supposed to be over the roof line and you have 96'. I suppose if the tallest building in the city was only 50' tall, the city overdone it and broke one off on the taxpayers by a whopping NINE FEET!
Hot Blond

Hamer, SC

#14 Apr 13, 2014
The city bought 400,000 fire trucks??
Belmont Resident

Charlotte, NC

#15 Apr 14, 2014
harleyrider1956 wrote:
its in the belmont banner today .. has this city lost its mind !!!!! and this is a used truck from another city .. a aerial platform ladder truck for 400.000 dollars and we don,t even have buildings tall enough to require this truck .. well here comes the biggest city tax increase you have ever seen .... vote these fools who are making these moron purchases out ...
this city has bought two new dodge charger police cars , two police trucks , and now they have fixed up stowe park with new mulch and pine needles did the city hit the lottery or what ???? if you did hit the lottery then give us tax payers a break ..
The truck was needed for several reasons. First was the safety of the firemen. They currently have to go onto the roofs of burning buildings to punch holes into the roof to vent. The ladder truck will allow them to now do this from a secure platform without the possibility of falling into the fire from a roof collapse. The second is that we are seeing taller buildings such as Mercy place in the event of a fire there some of the elderly residents could become trapped and the ladder truck would provide direct access to their room via the windows. Swift water rescue is another scenario in which this truck could extend out over the water and limit the risk for both firemen and person in need. This is a one million dollar truck which was purchased for considerably less. Most of the equipment of the BFD is getting long in the tooth and updating it is a valid concern. The BFD has made a lot of its equipment acquisitions through grants. The last fire truck was secured primarily through if not entirely with grants.

Since: May 09

Location hidden

#16 Apr 14, 2014
harleyrider1956 wrote:
concerned ,,
if we had buildings tall enough to require a truck like this then i would not be agains,t it .. but we do not have buildings that high here unless some moron plans on building some buildings that tall ... i thought we got that fool off the city council ... also another thing .. this purchase was not brought befgore the citizens of belmont to see if they wanted to be taxed to death to pay for this truck ... plain and simple ,, we do not need it and who ever approved it needs his ass fired ... do worry come election time ,, all these fools are going down the road ... i think its stupid as hell to put 400.000 on the tax payers credit card just to have this dumbass truck in the belmont parade every year
Why don't you run for city council?

Location hidden

#17 Apr 14, 2014
hey belmont resident ,,

when in the hell was the last time we had a big fire here in belmont ????? i can,t remember the last time we had a fire that a truck like that would have been needed .. the trucks we already had would have been more than what was needed to fight any fire around here .. oh and don,t forget the firemen will enjoy takeing this truck out on joy rides to bi-lo at the taxpayers expense ..

i still say we don,t need this truck .. just like we don,t need two dodge charger police cars when we have a lot full of police cars down there already .. a waste of taxpayers money .. plain and simple .. replace the city government from the top down in nov ..

Location hidden

#18 Apr 14, 2014
and another thing ,, that dodge charger police car can record your speed forward and backward .. so it doesn,t matter if you are coming or going it can catch your ass speeding ... and the cop who drives it likes giving out tickets ... watch out !!!!!
Unconcerned

Charlotte, NC

#20 Apr 15, 2014
harleyrider1956 wrote:
and another thing ,, that dodge charger police car can record your speed forward and backward .. so it doesn,t matter if you are coming or going it can catch your ass speeding ... and the cop who drives it likes giving out tickets ... watch out !!!!!
Crown Victoria police interceptors aren't even in production anymore so the department had to change to something. And there's also three new ones, not just two. They also have a program you can sign up for to learn the ins and outs of their operations if you'd be interested. I also hear the fire department is always accepting volunteers. That's probably a little out of your league huh

Location hidden

#21 Apr 15, 2014
unconcerned ,, yeah thats right i forgot about the white dodge charger they have also ... two gray and one white and about 30 crown vickys arond back that are still assigned police cars weither you like it or not .. by the way i know most of the police down there any way and they will take what ever is given to them .. as for being a belmont fireman ,, sorry i don,t like sitting around all day .... and thats what they do is sit around all day or drive up to bi-lo and get something to fix for supper .. thay could save the tax payer some money by taking their own car and getting the food ... you can come up with all the excuses you want for the purchase of this truck ,,but you will lose all of them .. we didn,t need it and we don,t need it .. plain and simple

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Charlotte Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Todd martin thief 7 hr concerned 2
Charlotte Hospice (HPCCR) 7 hr concerned 2
judge allows - to be "no gender" is absurd 7 hr concerned 1
Michael Wilson is right! (Oct '15) May 20 sanity 7
Did you hear what happened at Friends? (Aug '16) May 19 OldStone 8
What's going on at Sammys (Mar '10) May 18 tipster 15
Do Black Women Date Interracially Here? (May '11) May 17 Moose Knuckle 26

Charlotte Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance