Mt. Holly Farmer's Market

Mt. Holly Farmer's Market

Posted in the Charlotte Forum

Since: Jan 14

Waynesville, NC

#1 Feb 18, 2014
I moved to Mt. Holly in time enough to see a farmer's market in a parking lot downtown last year. I think selling at the farmer's market would be better to teach my kids economics more so than the lemonade stand. Can anyone just bring a table and sell produce? Or is it formally organized and requiring some kind of fee?(Starting to plan a garden.)
Scott G

Charlotte, NC

#2 Feb 19, 2014
Thought you were some kind of genius...............guess I thought wrong.
Einstein

Mount Holly, NC

#3 Feb 19, 2014
I buy produce at Food Lion, mark it as organic, and sell it for double at the Mount Holly Farmer's Market.
Mr B

Stanley, NC

#4 Feb 20, 2014
Scott was just asking a question. Defuses .
Einstein

Charlotte, NC

#5 Feb 20, 2014
Scott, just bring a table and put it down anywhere. I'm sure no one will mind. After all, the Farmer's Market is not about money.

Charlotte, NC

#6 Feb 20, 2014
Good. I've heard of some whacko towns that do weird things like stop kids from selling lemonade because they don't have a business license. That would be one lesson I would NOT want to teach my kids! I guess the farmers market is "the business" (that is licensed if one is even necessary) and anyone can contribute.

See ya'll in early summer.

http://www.mofreedom.org/2011/07/the-governme...

Since: Jan 12

Charlotte, NC

#7 Feb 20, 2014
They have a website with a phone number and email address.
Let us know what you find out.
http://www.mounthollyfarmersmarket.com/

Waynesville, NC

#8 Feb 20, 2014
Thanks, Malcom.

That website is out of date: the calendar events are not this year and the contact e-mail came back undelivered. The phone number connected me with someone named Scott Griffin (I hope that's not "Scott G" above.) that told me to call a lady named Kay...

For fruits and vegetables, if you grow them yourself you can sell them at the farmers market.$20 application fee and $10/week for each market you sell. They provide a tent and table I think. She's going to mail me some info.

I was informed that some people sell there as their "livelihood" -- for the one market that I saw last year, I only saw two people selling produce. The others were things other than produce.(Some things I didn't expect at a farmers market.) So I don't know how much competition is actually there. It was suggested that for what I'm doing (teaching children about economics), I grow something a little unusual I guess so not to compete too much with the "professionals".(Per haps because I stated a poor example of saying the kids would sell tomatoes for a nickel.) Well, her suggestion was a good one for a few reasons.

Soooooooo.... I told my kids and they are super-excited. Now the question will be... how big of a garden. Hmmmmmm. I know a guy with a tractor........
Mr F

Stanley, NC

#9 Mar 21, 2014
To Scott L

No the Scott G above iis not Scott Griffin. Just some local jealous butt. Good luck at the farmer's market!
Mr F

Stanley, NC

#10 Mar 21, 2014
Einstein wrote:
Scott, just bring a table and put it down anywhere. I'm sure no one will mind. After all, the Farmer's Market is not about money.
Your name is now Village Idiot.
NonProfit

Charlotte, NC

#11 Mar 22, 2014
Is the Mount Holly Farmer's Market a profit or non-profit organization? Yes, in the eyes of the IRS, at the moment, it is a non-profit organization, but does Scott Griffin and Jeff Kaylor make any money off the market?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Charlotte Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
All these guys 6 hr Hung and I know it 1
Christian in uptown charlotte bitter hateful pe... 16 hr Citizen 4
News Five teens charged in string of east Charlotte ... Nov 19 Angel at night 2
Why are Southerners rude in action, but pretend... (Jan '13) Nov 18 Angel at night 260
Demetrios Nov 18 local food 2
No Election posts? Nov 17 Denton Troy 7
another Gaston county police officer retires a... Nov 17 Denton Troy 2

Charlotte Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Charlotte Mortgages