Jimmy Kilgo--Kilgo's Kanteen WSOC TV ...
First Prev
of 5
Next Last
Lon

Blue Springs, MO

#88 Feb 17, 2014
I remember Jimmy doing weather on WSOC in 60's, sponcered by Piedmont Natural Gas.... Always had the little flames hiding the temps... Moved to Atlanta in 69 and never saw him again.
davidclemmer

Concord, NC

#90 Jan 2, 2015
Iwasinthe9thgradeatwilsonin196 0iwouldgotowsoconthurafterscho olanddancethankstomycousonruth wyattshewouldgetontheshowtheyh adoneonthurandsatnevermadethes atshowthanksjimmyforhavingasho wlikedickclarkitwawsomuchfun
davidclemmer

Concord, NC

#91 Jan 2, 2015
I was in the 9 grade at Wilson gr high in 1960 I would go to wsoc and dance on Thur. That had a show on Thur and sat I never made the sat my cousin Ruth Wyatt would get on the show thanks Ruth I want to think jimmy for having a show in Charlotte that was good for all of us we love you
david clemmer

Concord, NC

#93 Jan 2, 2015
I danced on kilgos kanteen in 1960 after school on thur i went to wilson jr high my couson ruth wyatt would get us on the show never got be on the sat show thanks to ruth we had a good time and thanks to jimmy for letting us on the show we all loved him and still i finished school at west meck we all loved the music and still dol
Cecil reinhardt

Sherrills Ford, NC

#94 Jan 12, 2015
I was in a band that played on the show several times. They filmed live on Saturday mornings and it brought us some local fame.
J walter

Charlotte, NC

#95 Feb 9, 2015
I was on the show once in 67. I remember it was great deal to be on there. If im not mistaken he would usually interview at least the one group from each school that was there. Met him several times in public just casual meetings, a couple times at the old Stanley drug store that was on seventh street. But the best thing I remember about him and still refer to it even now is when he was doing weather on channel 9 he said one evening " A lady called and said she was scrapping seven inches of partly cloudy of her sidewalk". Weather forecasting some times isn't much better today.

thanks for the trip down memory lane !!!!!
lewis greer

Hartfield, VA

#97 Mar 7, 2015
WakeSportsFan wrote:
As a child I lived in Winston-Salem. We lived above the Kilgo's (Jimmy and Wilma and their children)in a huge apartment complex. My mother (Francine) was a friend of Wilma's and continued to be friends when my family and the Kilgo's moved to Charlotte. Both my mother and father have passed away, however I would like to contact Wilma sometime to tell her about my mother. I used to play with the Kilgo's children and I'm trying to remember some of their names (I think one of the girls name started with a J?-Joanne?). Jimmy was a very nice and kind person and was NEVER fired from WSOC. He had a great career at WSOC and had great ratings with Kilgo's Canteen. He was a very popular figure on TV and radio. I remember going to the Kilgo's house and seeing all the vinyl records lined up in a huge bookcase against one wall.
In 1958-59,my high school-Colonial H/S in Orlando put on a variety show in Orlando. As a promotion
for the show,I was on The Chanel 9 Bandstand. I was playing my guitar & singing "Little Space Girl" to a pretty young girl,made up with four arms,three lips,three eyes.Not sure of the date,but would LOVE to get a copy of that. Not sure who was running the show at that time.,Lewis Greer
Vance Pollock

Asheville, NC

#98 Apr 11, 2016
jim fitz wrote:
I was the drummer with the Jay Dees from Lincolnton, NC. We played on the Kilgo show in the mid 1960's.
Jim, we'd love to hear from you or anyone else who played in bands in the Carolinas back in the '60s over at Carolina Rock 'n' Roll Remembered on facebook www.facebook.com/groups/ncrockhistory/
Linda

Lincolnton, NC

#99 Oct 10, 2016
Pat Peterson McCorkle wrote:
I was a one of the original Kilgo Girls ( Miss I) for 3 years.We had so much fun taping the show every Thursday evening, practicing our routine dance in the news studio, and carpooling home afterwards.When wardrobe rolled our outfits ( including gogo boots) into our dressing room , we'd fiddle with the skirts, rolling them over to shorten them. Once I had the terrible idea to dance barefoot, which almost got me thrown off the show.Although every show was taped, they never erased anything or retaped if there was a mishap. Jimmy would interview each Kilgo Girl after our routine dance number and several times the screen went black as I ran in front of the camera to take a bathroom break during commercials. Tammy Grose was Miss L and stood next to me on the stage where we danced; her parents ran the studio supplying dancers for the show. I loved that family. Their baby Gigi grew up to train the Hornets dancers!
My sister was miss canteen also. Her name is Jackie smith mccracken

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 5
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Charlotte Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Balfour beatty rail 4 hr Married 5
News Charlotte strip club loses ABC license for hist... 4 hr GrowUp 3
Did Rick Hendrick Ever Really Have Leukemia? (May '09) Fri Kmo87_nemco 82
guitar center sucks Fri Psalm 69 5
News Four arrested in uptown protests after Keith Sc... Thu ThomasA 4
Where the boy at in Charlotte ? (Dec '15) Dec 1 Fred Herbert 68
Get ready Charlotte Dec 1 Native 10

Charlotte Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance