Jimmy Kilgo--Kilgo's Kanteen WSOC TV ...
samuel gibson

Asheboro, NC

#66 Oct 25, 2011
my dad and uncle played music on jimmy kilgos the name of the band was outcast i was wondering if you could maybe find it and share it with me
Rustee Lane

Matthews, NC

#67 Oct 30, 2011
Hymie Finklestein wrote:
Yes, very much alive and still giving motivational speeches for companies and raking in the big bucks. I've heard him. He uses some of Zig Zigler's methods. He still has that quality of feeling and emotion in his voice that I've always admired.
I've been trying to find Jimmy Kilgo's obit. I'd like to know when he died and where he was buried. Does anyone know? There is a wealth of "memories" of Kilgo's Kanteen (or Canteen [sic]) on internet sites.
FYI - Jimmy Kilgo is still very much alive too, and living near Matthews, NC. You might can see him having lunch at Jonathan's of Matthews often.
Rustee Lane

Matthews, NC

#68 Oct 30, 2011
FYI - Jimmy Kilgo is still very much alive and living near Matthews, NC. He frequents Jonathan's of Matthews restaurant often, for lunch.
Sandi D

Asheville, NC

#69 Jan 5, 2012
Jimmy Kilgo is alive and WELL! There will be a tribute honoring him on thurs 01-12-2012. Please see the facebook page Kilgo's Kanteen, for more information !!!

Kinston, NC

#70 May 12, 2012
I enjoyed the show very much also. I remember a band by the name of The Nomads playing covers of "Rain" by The Beatles and "Dirty Water" by The Standells. It was a good performance. Sometime in 1966 or 1967 I think. Any way the show was very good. 5120
janice atkinson

Maiden, NC

#71 Aug 24, 2012
I am searching for footage of my sister and three of her friends from Mercy School of Nursing. They played guitars and sang Smile on Your Brother and the name of their goupe was The Common People. They were on Kilgo's Canteen in the late 60s early 70s. Not sure. She passed away in 1998 and it would be awesome to have a record of that. Anyone have any suggesions?
Baron White

Marshville, NC

#72 Dec 12, 2012
Jimmy Kilgo is alive and goes to Hawthorne Lane Methodist Church. He is 80 years old and walks for exercise. His wife is named Wilma. She is in a circle with my grandma at Hawthorne Methodist Church. Sometimes they skip church and go to Ocean Isle Beach for a couple of weeks or longer. Jimmy still dresses in cool looking clothes like Hart Shafner and Marx suits. He is fun to joke around with and talks a lot about his days on Kilgo's Kanteen and WAYS. Jimmy says Wilma likes to watch all the cooking shows on TV but she doesn't cook any of the crazy stuff like they do on the shows. He said they ate out a lot. Jimmy says he still plays golf once a week and sometimes more if the weather is nice. I asked him if he liked today's music and he said he did like some of it but was alarmed by the vulgar words and suggestive lyrics. I will talk to him again when I go to my Grandma's church and write more of what he said.
Cam moser

Hilton Head Island, SC

#73 Dec 12, 2012
Mot of the shows that were taped were also taped over,a common practice to save mone
Cam moser

Hilton Head Island, SC

#74 Dec 12, 2012
The shows that were taped were alo taped over, common practice to save money

Since: Jul 09

Location hidden

#76 Dec 20, 2012
I don't come to Charlotte often, but when I do I dance on Kilgo's Kanteen. I have been learning the Wobble and the Hokey Pokey. Stay thirsty my friends.
Larry B of Charlotte

Matthews, NC

#77 Jan 2, 2013
My younger sister took dance lessons at "The Gross School of Dance" and Kilgo's Canteen used them as a source for the Dancers on the show. When I was 16, I was nominated to drive the dancers to the studio, and naturally, I stayed to enjoy the show. I have to admitt, I felt extremely lucky, both to drive a car load of pretty young girls, and to be in the studio, watching the show being produced. I have fond memories of Kilgo's Canteen and wish Jimmy Kilgo the best
Reidette Hampton Shepherd

Charlotte, NC

#78 Mar 28, 2013
I graduated from South Rowan High School in 1970. My boyfriend at that time was Patrick Jones. We were on Kilgos Canteen but I don't remember the date i think we went with our friends Tom Clark and his girlfriend Cathy. It was a lot of fun!l

Georgetown, SC

#79 Apr 9, 2013
I remember my cousin got on the show. She was from Mt. Holly, so probably the same show as mentioned above. I remember that Jimmy's brother (they both went to high school at Central, I think, at about the same time as my mother, and I thought it was cool she knew a "movie star" like Jimmy Kilgo) opened a cool indoor putt-putt golf course on Park Rd, at the intersection with Selwyn Ave. The greens actually had breaks in them, like a real course. That place would make millions today.
Joe Ross Charleston

Mount Pleasant, SC

#80 Jul 1, 2013
I loved Kilgo's Canteen growing up in Charlotte. I was on Kilgo's Canteen twice during the 1966-1967 school year. Once with a group from Independence H.S. and again with a group from Rock Hill H.S.. Danced the spotlight dance with a girlfriend I met from Rock Hill on the O.D. Pavilion Patio the summer of 1966. "Those were the days". Now, I am a retired "Shaggin'Papa" in Charleston. I hope you are still around somewhere Susan G.

Since: Apr 12

Location hidden

#81 Jul 2, 2013
I was on Kilgo's Kanteen twice. The first time was with members of the Key Club at West Charlotte. Then, I was on again the summer before I went into the army with some of my friends from Johnson C. Smith. We had a great time and enjoyed Mr. Jimmy Kilgo and others affiliated with the show. I joined a group that is keeping the memories alive on Facebook. Some of Jimmy Kilgo's family are members. It is usually about the music but sometimes they discuss things Jimmy Kilgo and the dancers did or the kinds of clothes that were popular. They have over 1,200 members. You can look it up...Fans of Kilgo's Kanteen, Charlotte, NC...and request to be a member. They are strict about members to keep advertising spams out so it might be a day or so before you get approved.
T Matthews

Charlotte, NC

#83 Oct 31, 2013
Myself and other classmates from East Union School appeared on Kilgo's Kanteen at least two times. It was so exciting and then to actually watch ourself. I think we recorded on Thursday and the show aired on Saturday at noon or 1. I would love to see these tapes now.

Jimmy Z

Charlotte, NC

#84 Oct 31, 2013
Dated a Kilgo Girl! I was the envy of the whole drumline at school. She was gorgeous, very funny, and an athletic dancer. She taught me to dance ballroom and several other styles but we put on the best show shaggin'.
Baron White

Marshville, NC

#85 Nov 2, 2013
The shagging club of Myrtle Beach and a radio station are going to give Jimmy Kilgo an award for starting Beach Music. They are going to have a big show and dance at Barefoot Landing with the band named Alabama (they made a record called "the closer you get-the harder I fall")
Chip Johnston

Mount Holly, NC

#86 Nov 16, 2013
I remember years later he worked at WRET TV, channel 36 (Now WCNC-TV) before it was a network affiliate. Saw him emcee a Linda Ronstandt concert at Carowinds in 1975.
Barry Grant

Port Saint Lucie, FL

#87 Jan 31, 2014
I remember the Kilgo's Kanteen show well but was always too shy to appear on it, plus I was know for having two left feet. The Joey the Clown show was as close as I got to being a TV star.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Charlotte Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
belmont men enema club assoc. (Mar '09) 5 hr Monique2015 11
Belmont Soda Fountain Closing Sun starving 6
South Point Ridge (Aug '11) Sat White Trash 13
Balfour Beaty railroad cocaine Sat wondering 1
News 5 charged in brutal robbery (Nov '10) Nov 27 whoa 8
Need something for pain relief... Nov 27 Fxcck 3
Xan Bars Cheap Nov 27 Fxcck 12
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Charlotte Mortgages