Jimmy Kilgo--Kilgo's Kanteen WSOC TV ...
Linda S

Lincolnton, NC

#45 Mar 10, 2011
Jimmy Kilgo wrote:
Hello Everyone!
I randomly stumbled across this page and found it extremely interesting. Jimmy Kilgo is still alive and well with his wife Wilma. I am his granddaughter and we've enjoyed hearing stories about the Kilgo's Kanteen growing up. It's something as a kid, we always I heard of but there are very limited pictures, tapes, etc. If anyone has anything such as pictures, tapes, interviews, etc. it would be awesome to see some of it. I know grandfather will be happy to see some of these comments and know that people still think of him!
To Jimmy Kilgo's granddaughter! Wow, is there anyway contact can be established with anyone who has tapes or movie clips, etc of Kilgo's Canteen. My husband is 70 this year and for his birthday we'd like to find photos or movies taken of his band, The Fairlanes, who performed on Canteen around l959-1960. The Band was from Statesville, NC and it seemed to be a memorable highlight of their teen years. Grandson here would love to see Granddad's band footage or audio recordings if you could direct us to any source whatsoever.

Thank you for any help you can provide. Linda, now from Maiden, NCnn
Hugh Campbell

Morganton, NC

#46 Mar 12, 2011
I went to school with Paul Kilgo, Jimmy and John's brother. They lived on Caswell and I carried their paper for a short time in 1956. John was about three years ahead of me at Central and Jimmy was older than John. Played some basketball with John. Jimmy worked at Stanley's drugstore while in school at UNC. Kilgo's Canteen was on when I was in High School and I remember it well. One sponsor of the TV show was a men's clothing store on the Plaza, very popular with the high school crowd. The owner was a Jewish gentleman whose name I forget. So we had three Jewish families involved....Levine and Kaplan and the one I can't recall. WSOC loved Jimmy and he left and went to work as a salesman for a company that was located on I-85. No racial remarks on his show. I remember well the comments made on Bill Curry's show when he was talking to the then coach of Clemson's football team.
Pat Peterson McCorkle

Charlotte, NC

#47 Mar 21, 2011
I was a one of the original Kilgo Girls ( Miss I) for 3 years.We had so much fun taping the show every Thursday evening, practicing our routine dance in the news studio, and carpooling home afterwards.When wardrobe rolled our outfits ( including gogo boots) into our dressing room , we'd fiddle with the skirts, rolling them over to shorten them. Once I had the terrible idea to dance barefoot, which almost got me thrown off the show.Although every show was taped, they never erased anything or retaped if there was a mishap. Jimmy would interview each Kilgo Girl after our routine dance number and several times the screen went black as I ran in front of the camera to take a bathroom break during commercials. Tammy Grose was Miss L and stood next to me on the stage where we danced; her parents ran the studio supplying dancers for the show. I loved that family. Their baby Gigi grew up to train the Hornets dancers!
Brenda Miller Yoder

Piedmont, SC

#48 Mar 21, 2011
Are you Jan's daughter? I would love to get in touch with her. We were friends at Winterfield Elem school and lived in the same neighborhood. Would you please ask her to look me up on facebook or email me at [email protected] Mr. and Mrs. Kilgo were awesome...would love to touch base again. my facebook is brenda yoder.
many thanks
Jimmy Kilgo wrote:
Hello Everyone!
I randomly stumbled across this page and found it extremely interesting. Jimmy Kilgo is still alive and well with his wife Wilma. I am his granddaughter and we've enjoyed hearing stories about the Kilgo's Kanteen growing up. It's something as a kid, we always I heard of but there are very limited pictures, tapes, etc. If anyone has anything such as pictures, tapes, interviews, etc. it would be awesome to see some of it. I know grandfather will be happy to see some of these comments and know that people still think of him!
Mike Cranford

Philadelphia, PA

#49 Apr 11, 2011
I ran into Jimmy tonight at the Charlotte Cafe. It was great to see him and talk about watching his show when I was a kid growing up in Charlotte back in the 1960's. What a great guy!
alim jones

Concord, NC

#50 May 24, 2011
I watched the show every saturday, i was in high school at the time and lived and went to school in concord. I'm african american and jimmy kilgo is still alive in our hearts and minds! All of the shows that he did would those tapes still be around? Could someone ask mr. kilgo? It's time for kilgo's kanteen, those were the days!!
Davis Gordon

Destin, FL

#51 May 27, 2011
Hello all. I googled Kilgo and found this thread. I had never heard of the show until my Dad told me about it. My Mom used to be a Kilgo girl and I thought I would search and see if I could find any footage.

My mother died when I was young and I have always wanted to see video or footage of her. I remember alot about her, but she died when I was 6 of an irregular heart beat. Her name was Cindy Cook....I saw some ladies say they used to be Kilgo girls. Did you happen to know Cindy? I would love to find some footage of the show!
Janis Sherrill Ghrairi

United States

#52 Jun 13, 2011
If you're on facebook, check out 'Fan's of Kilgo's Kanteen'.
Leonard Nash

Wingate, NC

#53 Jun 15, 2011
If there are any tapes they are bootleg.

We have tried to track down the former WSOC engineer(?) who is said to possess bootleg tapes of Kilgo but have so far come up empty.

Another story that we have been researching is that WSOC threw away some tapes which were later scavenged by dumpster divers. Again, that search has so far tuned up nothing.

We have found a lot of still pictures and very short 8 mm film evidently made by a parent during taping.

WSOC did not save tapes back then. They used the tapes over and over until they were worn out.
Davis

Brentwood, TN

#54 Jun 15, 2011
My buddy who lives in NC did some real detective work to find some tapes. Went to WSOC and they confirmed they did not have any.

He got all the way to Jimmy Kilgos house and met with him for awhile (this was about 2 weeks ago). Jimmy said there are no tapes, but he had some great pictures he found of my mother he allowed him to scan and I am so thankful.

It would be awesome to find some tape, but it's looking doubful
Cheryl

Simpsonville, SC

#55 Jun 16, 2011
I was on KK in 1966 with a group from Statesville Senior High. I don't remember a lot about the show but I sure do remember the trip back home. It was snowing and the roads were icy. We didn't get far out of Charlotte when my boyfriend at the time lost control hitting an icy patch and we spun into a truck. I spent that night in the hospital but came out ok with a mild concussion and fractured arm. The new Mustang was totalled but my boyfriend and the couple in the back weren't hurt.
Ron Goans

Maynardville, TN

#57 Jul 28, 2011
I played in a band called the Auroras from Catawba CO. and we appeared on the show around late 1967 to early 1968. Jimmy was a prince of a guy. I would love to have a tape of that show. If anyone out there knows how to get in touch with the right people please e-mail me at [email protected]
Tks,

Ron
Ron Goans Hickory

Maynardville, TN

#58 Jul 28, 2011
Our band the Auroras appeared on Kilgos Kanteen between late 967 to early 1968. I would love to get my hands on that tape. It was a great deal of fun and excitement. Jimmy Kilgo was the man to all the teens in the channel 9 broadcast area.
Ron Goans Hickory

Maynardville, TN

#59 Jul 28, 2011
Isang for a group called the Auroras. We appeared on the show probably late 1967 to early 1968. What a great experience. Jimmy was a prince of a guy. Too bad there is no access to those tapes.
Pat Peterson McCorkle

Charlotte, NC

#60 Jul 29, 2011
Davis, what was your mom's name? I probably danced with her - esp. if she was one of the original group of dancers. We did lots more than Kilgo's - danced for Davidson fraternity parties, did lots of shows with professionals at Ovens Auditorium, etc.I know the tapes were lost when WSOC was sold in the 80's ( I think that's the time). My sister was in marketing with Paramount and tried to obtain tapes for my birthday and found out they no longer exist- they thought they were thrown out under new management.But there may be photos of your mom dancing other venues, since we did so many events.
Davis Gordon

Cordova, TN

#61 Jul 29, 2011
Hi Pat

My mothers name was Cindy Cook. DId you know her?
Pat Peterson McCorkle

Charlotte, NC

#62 Jul 30, 2011
That name sounds very familiar. I think she may have danced with me . I was always "I" , Tammy( the daughter of the dance producers) was always "L". I think your mom might have danced as "K" or "G".The person I'm thinking of was small and blond.
Jim Snipes

Oklahoma City, OK

#63 Aug 12, 2011
I was on Kilgo's Kanteen when I was around 14 with a girl named Kathy Crater and my nephew Dicky Wrenn and his date. I think it was the most fun time I have ever had as a teen. Jimmy Kilgo was one of the nicest most brilliant men I had ever run across. A camera man at WSOC at that time was my shop teacher at Eastway Junior high. I thought it was better than Bandstand.
Davis Gordon

Cordova, TN

#64 Aug 12, 2011
Pat

That may have been her, because she was blonde. But the two pics I have of her on Kilgo she was an "I"
Jack Furr

Prescott Valley, AZ

#65 Sep 9, 2011
Who was the female co-host of the Kilgo's Kanteen?

Please contact me at [email protected]

Thanks

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Charlotte Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Belmont City Council 1 hr fedupppppp 32
If Belmont world have stayed away from selling ... 8 hr just sayin 33
News Jonas Brothers' restaurant on simmer for now 19 hr The Truth 18
What are the Pro & Cons of AYF vs Pop Warner Fo... (Dec '08) Thu footballmommabear 169
So when is the ground breaking on the Harris Te... (Sep '14) Thu Transplant 25
Adios Michael Waltrip Racing Thu Into The Wall 1
Why Mount Holly Will Never Be Anything Special (Apr '14) Thu Orville 24
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Charlotte Mortgages