Peter Lucas

Newport News, VA

#21 Apr 18, 2010
During the mid 50s I sang in a group called the "Enchanters" from Laurinburg, NC. We were frequent guests on Kilgo's Canteen. Jimmy Kilgo gave us an opportunity that was unheard of at that time.Race didn't play into it. For some years we have been looking for archival footage or stills of our performances on the show. The Enchanters owe a great deal to Jimmy Kilgo and Kilgo's Canteen. If anyone knows about footage of pictures of the Enchanters performing on the program, please contant me:
bassoluke@cox.net
We still remain friends after some 60 years. I just returned from our annual reunion today.
Sunset Carson

Waxhaw, NC

#22 Jun 8, 2010
I was on Kilgo's Kanteen in April 1964. My girlfriend Jan and I worked on and practiced our dancing for a month before we went to be on the show. We had worked up some slick moves and added them to the shag. When we got to WSOC and saw the dance floor we thought
"Oh no! It's going to be too crowded
to do anything fancy like we planned."
Once the show started and we started dancing we got into the music. We bumped into a few people but once people saw us they gave us room. Kilgo picked us for the spotlight dance and we really laid it on thick. jan and I won several shag contests. Eventually we broke up. She went to Cornell University and I to Wingate College here in NC. During the summer of my second year I trained as a ballroom dance instructor with Aurthur Murray Dance Studios Inc. I spent the next 4 years teaching dance in Roanoke and Richmond VA. I've been back in NC since my retirement working in sales for Proctor Gamble. I recently found Jan through Facebook. She and her husband, my wife and I are going to meet at Ocean Drive this July and enter a shag contest! Neither of us have done much dancing during the past 20 years or so. It should be a blast!
Ladonna Melton

Waxhaw, NC

#23 Jun 9, 2010
I do to remember how embarrassed Jimmy Kilgo would get when kids would call the dance they were doing the "neggro jive" and he would jerk the microphone away from them. It happened several times.

Jimmy Kilgo did not get fired. He quit. WSOC's lawyers thought the NAACP was going to sue because of dancers saying the N word. WSOC told Jimmy Kilgo to stop doing the table interviews with the dancers. Jimmy said no because that's what made the show unique. He had always had control and felt like WSOC was taking it away from him so he said Audios Amigo and went to WAYS and took Jack Gayle's morning show.
I got news for you buddy

Indian Trail, NC

#24 Jun 10, 2010
Jimmy Kilgo DID NOT start out on WSOC radio. He started out as a DJ on WIST, another Charlotte radio station. He left there and went to WSOC. American Bandstand was a huge hit for Dick Clark and ABC. WSOC decided to clone it as a local show and gave Jimmy creative control. Jimmy used the name Kilgo's Kanteen (with a K) from his old WIST show. It came on at 12 noon Saturdays and lasted an hour except the last year when they changed the time slot if memory serves correctly. I believe it signed on in 1959 and lasted until 1967. Sherman Lavine did buy most of the advertising in the early 1960's but his franchise, "The Hub", was fading in 1964-65 and he was gone by summer of '65.

John Kilgo, Jimmmy's brother, was the sports guy on several Charlotte stations. He is probably best remembered for his stint on BIG WAYS. He also called or was the color commentator on a lot of Basketball games for syndicates like Raycom. He wrote a biography of Dean Smith that sold well. He is still calling basketball games at Davidson.

I saw Jimmy recently and he looked to be in good health. He is very close to his 80th birthday. I see John occasionally and he looks well also.
Jerry

Monroe, NC

#25 Jul 7, 2010
Jimmy is very alive (2010) and an active member of Hawthorne Lane UMC in Charlotte. In fact, Hawthorne Lane hopes to revisit Kilgo's Canteen in Late September or early October 2010, with a a sox hop. The community will be invited.
G Burke

Charlotte, NC

#26 Jul 8, 2010
I just called WSOC-TV to try and get a DVD of a Kilgo,s Kanteen show that a group called the Orbits, that I was a member of, played on in (early 1964 I think), just before the Beatles came on the Ed Sullivan show in Feb.-1964. I was told that they have no archives, and that they had received several calls about getting individual copies of the show. I had heard some yrs. back,( 10 to 15 yrs. ago?), that you just had to give them the groups name, approximate date that you were on, and that the charge was approximately $65.00. There was way to much detail for this to be a hoax. Could this have been Jimmy Kilgo doing this? Any one out there know if maybe a former producer has the tapes. Thanks, G. Burke
cotton

Mount Holly, NC

#27 Jul 12, 2010
I never got to Kilgo's Kanteen, but two of my older cousins did. Why we do not have entertainment like this for children today is above my reasoning. Those were great times.
DL Parker

Waxhaw, NC

#28 Jul 13, 2010
I KNOW there are copies of old Kilgo shows. I remember seeing one on VHS tape around 1984. I was told at the time it was copied from a filmed show in 1962. The guy that had it worked for WSOC back then. He also had a VHS of an even older Joey the Clown (Brooks Lindsay) show, A Shrine Bowl Football game from the 60's and a Jack Callahan news show. He took a job with a TV station out west in the late 80's and I lost touch with him. If he still had those tapes they would be worth a lot.
jim fitz

Clyde, NC

#29 Jul 27, 2010
I was the drummer with the Jay Dees from Lincolnton, NC. We played on the Kilgo show in the mid 1960's.
CORNELL CRANKE

Morganton, NC

#30 Jul 28, 2010
I was the key board player with the group called the Magnificents, we had two do it twice because of the space ship, we were all from Highland High school,Gastonia,NC, All members still living accept three members
Brent Huffman

Charlotte, NC

#31 Oct 27, 2010
I remember Jimmy Kilgo doing the weather on WSOC in the mid-late 60's. That was before the days when they required either "certified" metoerologists or hot gals who get the ratings (or a combination thereof)

Guess I missed out on the Kanteen, but was probably a bit young to appreciate it then.
Sandy Brown

Charlotte, NC

#32 Dec 14, 2010
I was a Kilgo Girl during the last 2 years of the show. I was the tall one in the middle with the "L". So nice to see so many people remember the show. It was a wonderful experience being on the show. The Kilgo Girls also made many personal appearances in the Charlotte area. WSOC sponsored the grand opening of South Park Mall and the Kilgo Girls were there for almost 2 weeks. Where ever Jimmy Kilgo appeared, the Kilgo Girls were most likely around. I still have the black sequin "L" from the last show. It was a sad day when this show went off the air, but I have many happy memories.
sadiebnc

Banner Elk, NC

#33 Dec 14, 2010
Bob Raiford is the one who was fired for playing Nat King Cole records on WBT. There had been some racial protests where the concert had been held and Raiford had been instructed not to play the records from the concert. Everyone who listened to Bob Raiford knew he marched to his own drummer! This was in the early 1950's.
DJ Smith

Mooresville, NC

#34 Dec 29, 2010
I was Associate Producer of Kilgo's Kanteen in 1969. Played golf with Jimmy along with the show's Director Bob Champion. Twice I was the "Host" of the show while Jimmy was on vacation. I also was an announcer on WSOC AM at that time. All 3 were in what is now the Channel 9 Building: WSOC AM-FM-TV.
It was in fact a huge success for local TV production. I used to "book" high schools from the Channel 9 viewing area SIX MONTHS in advance; that took me about an hour on the phone. They would call in on one Saturday every 6 months. I have talked to his brother today and Jimmy is alive and well dividing his time between Charlotte and the beach.
boomer

Concord, NC

#35 Jan 11, 2011
kinfolk wrote:
I was in the 7th or 8th grade ('67-'68) and I remember watching it on TV and thought those teenagers were the luckiest people on earth. The were "grown-up".
remember the big birthday party on the front lawn of ch 9
Joe Cannady

Matthews, NC

#36 Jan 12, 2011
So good to hear that Mr. Jimmy is well. He and I go back to his WIST days. There was a little sandwich shop down on College Street that was popular with the radio folks during those days. The owner used to joke about changing the name to the Radio Club. I remember Mr. Smith who wrote above and Mr. Bob Champion as well as a lot more. I remember Mr. Gil Stamper would come in every afternoon exactly at 4:00 and drink one glass of beer before going to work at WTB. I remember Mr. Cullie didn't eat cheese or drink milk. Mr. Jimmy was always one of the most friendly and he would always stop and talk to people like regular folk. White or colored didn't matter. He didn't let his notoriety stop him from being a good person.
Mount Holly

Iron Station, NC

#37 Jan 16, 2011
I was on Kilgo's canteen. A group of MT.Holly High students went and Mickey Lybrand and I were chosen to be the spot light dancers. We couldn't belive how long the song was! We had a great time and would love to find out how we could get one of the tapes of that show.
Leslie

Alexandria, VA

#38 Jan 19, 2011
If anyone could find any sort of footage of the show I would greatly appreciate it. We have been searching forever and haven't found anyone with any footage!!
RonB

China Grove, NC

#39 Mar 5, 2011
I danced on the show twice once with a group from Kannapolis, NC and again with a group from Landis High School. Its a shame that the TV station did not record and keep the shows. They were great.
Chris Beachley

Maiden, NC

#40 Mar 9, 2011
I would love to have a copy of Kilgo's Kanteen and Jimmy would also, do you have ANY more information ?
DL Parker wrote:
I KNOW there are copies of old Kilgo shows. I remember seeing one on VHS tape around 1984. I was told at the time it was copied from a filmed show in 1962. The guy that had it worked for WSOC back then. He also had a VHS of an even older Joey the Clown (Brooks Lindsay) show, A Shrine Bowl Football game from the 60's and a Jack Callahan news show. He took a job with a TV station out west in the late 80's and I lost touch with him. If he still had those tapes they would be worth a lot.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Charlotte Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
NC Who do you support for U.S. Senate in North Car... (Oct '10) 13 min waco1909 60,073
Tiffany Wright - WSOC-TV 52 min Grams 5
Biogel Injections (Feb '10) 7 hr Jessica g 132
dog food 20 hr You seen that boy 8
lookin for that boy. where's he at (Mar '14) 20 hr You seen that boy 16
Jimbo from Intervention (Feb '11) 21 hr Pete Sanchez 41
Videos of drivers in Belmont uploaded to YouTube Sep 26 Throbbin Robin 43

Charlotte Jobs

Charlotte People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Charlotte News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Charlotte

Personal Finance