let's vote for turner & schrift

Posted in the Charlotte Forum

First Prev
of 3
Next Last
YOUR TURN TO VOTE

Concord, NC

#1 Oct 31, 2013
We need some new blood on City Council with different viewpoints from the same ol good ole boys that have run this town for years. Here are two guys that will work hard for Belmont and contribute some much needed diversity. Make your vote count on Nov 5th!
Della Mae

Gastonia, NC

#2 Oct 31, 2013
Can't vote for Schrift -

1. Not been here long enough
2. Too young/inexperienced
3. Beholding to the wrong people
4. Voted the wrong way on protecting our town

Not writing him off for the future, but he will need to prove himself first.
Poo

Gastonia, NC

#4 Oct 31, 2013
Della Mae wrote:
Can't vote for Schrift -

Then who would you suggest and why?
Old timer

Gastonia, NC

#5 Nov 1, 2013
Poo wrote:
<quoted text>
Then who would you suggest and why?
Turner and McLain
They both are concerned about Belmont's future and the people of Belmont.
The scoop

Gastonia, NC

#6 Nov 1, 2013
Della Mae wrote:
Can't vote for Schrift -
1) Agreed.
2) Ryan has a big developer supporting him who has recently opened offices in East Belmont. Could that be beholding to the wrong people?
3) He is just 29 years old
4) he did vote the wrong way on the rezoning of the old Gullick house/123 North Main.In my opinion.
YOUR TURN TO VOTE

Concord, NC

#7 Nov 1, 2013
Schrift has changed is position on 123 N Main and proclaims not to want to rezone any more homes to businesses. He is young, but that can be a good thing if you think of it in terms of energy and enthusiasm. He is open minded and has a strong financial background. I think Turner is better qualified and more mature, the best choice.

I do not like Irl Dixon, who's campaign is being sponsored by the realtor assoc and home builders assoc. What does that tell you right there? Dixon is pro-rezoning of 2 more houses on Main St which is a bad idea. His past track record is to approve any subdivision put before him. He will likely win big based on his last name.

I don't think the other 2 candidates (Salty & Mclain) could fully grasp the job and contribute in any significant way. The job requires one to make difficult and complex decisions that will directly impact the whole town.

Every vote counts, choose wisely.
Old Voter

Gastonia, NC

#8 Nov 1, 2013
Got another glossy folder from Irl in the mail to-day. Will money talk? His backers are really anxious for him to get this job again. There hasn't been much development since he lost the last election
but now that it's starting back up the developers need him. I'd rather have Schrift.
The scoop

Gastonia, NC

#9 Nov 1, 2013
YOUR TURN TO VOTE wrote:
Schrift has changed is position on 123 N Main and proclaims not to want to rezone any more homes to businesses. He is young, but that can be a good thing if you think of it in terms of energy and enthusiasm. He is open minded and has a strong financial background. I think Turner is better qualified and more mature, the best choice.
I do not like Irl Dixon, who's campaign is being sponsored by the realtor assoc and home builders assoc. What does that tell you right there? Dixon is pro-rezoning of 2 more houses on Main St which is a bad idea. His past track record is to approve any subdivision put before him. He will likely win big based on his last name.
I don't think the other 2 candidates (Salty & Mclain) could fully grasp the job and contribute in any significant way. The job requires one to make difficult and complex decisions that will directly impact the whole town.
Every vote counts, choose wisely.
I agree Turner is more mature and has put in the effort long term and not just recently for the election. Turner and Shrift both have a lot of community service but Turners is Belmont focused. Schrifts is also impressive but lacks local focus except for 1 term on The P&Z board. The question I have about Schrift is how can you be involved in so many boards etc and really do any of them well?
He definitely has the money people in Belmont behind him which makes me a little suspicious, particularly this developer Rob Pressley. He seems to be the man behind the man. Irl Dixon works for Pressley as a real estate agent and that is more than a little too comfy. If Schrift and Dixon were to get in would we have someone unelected calling the shots? Maybe, maybe not who can really say.A Schrift & Dixon win could be the ultimate win for the development community but what would be in it for the average Belmont resident?
Old Voter

Gastonia, NC

#10 Nov 2, 2013
Another fancy mail out from Shrift to-day. This is his 2nd one. Looks like the money is behind him & Irl and I always thought being a teacher was a shoe in. Please don't vote for Irl.
Urbanite

Gastonia, NC

#11 Nov 3, 2013
Old Voter wrote:
Got another glossy folder from Irl in the mail to-day. Will money talk? His backers are really anxious for him to get this job again. There hasn't been much development since he lost the last election
but now that it's starting back up the developers need him.
Don't need realtors and developers deciding our future.
Another voter

Gastonia, NC

#12 Nov 4, 2013
Without realtors and developers there is no future. Just stagnation and higher taxes!
YOUR TURN TO VOTE

Concord, NC

#13 Nov 4, 2013
Another voter wrote:
Without realtors and developers there is no future. Just stagnation and higher taxes!
The concern seems to be they will self promote their industry at the expense on the average taxpayer. Most folks want better roads, sidewalks, parks, city services, etc. We need intelligent people interested in the overall improvement of the whole town, without financially motivated agendas. This is why I can't vote for Irl Dixon.
Another voter

Gastonia, NC

#14 Nov 4, 2013
And just how do you plan to pay for all these wonderful improvements? There are only two ways. Growth or higher taxes. So what I'm hearing from you is you want higher taxes.
Old Voter

Gastonia, NC

#15 Nov 4, 2013
Another voter wrote:
And just how do you plan to pay for all these wonderful improvements? There are only two ways. Growth or higher taxes. So what I'm hearing from you is you want higher taxes.
The developers should pay for these improvements needed to sustain the new neighborhoods they are building. If you have Irl, Shrift & Stowe voting on the side of the developers you will be paying.

Since: May 09

Location hidden

#16 Nov 4, 2013
Old Voter wrote:
<quoted text>
The developers should pay for these improvements needed to sustain the new neighborhoods they are building. If you have Irl, Shrift & Stowe voting on the side of the developers you will be paying.
If the developers pay, then they should get a discounted tax rate and free water and sewer.
Della Mae

Gastonia, NC

#17 Nov 4, 2013
Robert Stowe wrote:
<quoted text>If the developers pay, then they should get a discounted tax rate and free water and sewer.
Poppycock! They are not paying the water and sewer bills- their tenants are! They are pocketing the big dough!
in the know

Columbia, SC

#18 Nov 4, 2013
Old Voter wrote:
<quoted text>
they do pay. Thru the nose. It cost almost $10000 in fees to build a small house in Belmont. They pay water and sewer impact fees. Some of the highest in the county. And I know Dixon voted to increase those fees when he was on the Council.
YOUR TURN TO VOTE

Concord, NC

#19 Nov 4, 2013
Another voter wrote:
How about starting with using the existing tax revenues more responsibly and not doing stupid things like giving it to the Chamber of Commerce and the Whitewater center. Spend the money on basic City services and infrastructure - no need to raise taxes if you live within your means. Growth will find it's way here because it's a desirable community. We don't Irl Dixon on Council for reasons I've already stated.
New Voter

Gastonia, NC

#20 Nov 4, 2013
As a first time voter I have carefully researched the candidates. IMHO I think Turner & McClain will best represent the people of Belmont.It is important that the interests of the people be first & foremost.

Since: May 09

Location hidden

#21 Nov 4, 2013
Della Mae wrote:
<quoted text>
Poppycock! They are not paying the water and sewer bills- their tenants are! They are pocketing the big dough!
Your ignorance is stunning.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Charlotte Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
bggb (Aug '14) 12 hr gab 161
Mount holly pop warner on the rise in 2013 (Oct '13) 14 hr Jethro 50
powpow Mon Loki79 11
South Point Athletic Director resignation Mon Corinthian 9
Webb charged again May 24 Just Saying 10
Loan shark needed (Jul '09) May 24 Donawa 22
Biogel Injections (Feb '10) May 23 isostrawberry 155
More from around the web

Charlotte People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE