Belmont's issue with skateboarders, a...

Belmont's issue with skateboarders, and whatever happened to skate park?

There are 13 comments on the The Gaston Gazette story from Aug 17, 2013, titled Belmont's issue with skateboarders, and whatever happened to skate park?. In it, The Gaston Gazette reports that:

But the reality is more complicated. City ordinance doesn't stop skateboarders from trying out the occasional kick flip downtown, say merchants.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The Gaston Gazette.

Mesmer

Gastonia, NC

#1 Aug 17, 2013
No tax dollars should be spent on this- period.
Seriously

Gastonia, NC

#2 Aug 17, 2013
I guess we need another child to hit/killed and an officer die responding to the scene before they complete the project they promised years ago...
Tides Foundation

Gastonia, NC

#3 Aug 17, 2013
Skateboarders are being discriminated. Police profiling, run out of town, mistreated by society.

Skaters Unite! Crash the Downtown Friday Street Parties!
mesmer

Gastonia, NC

#4 Aug 18, 2013
Seriously wrote:
I guess we need another child to hit/killed and an officer die responding to the scene before they complete the project they promised years ago...
The emotional appeal for tax dollars being spent on this is illogical. Everyone regrets what happened, but it was not caused because there was no skate park. Let's stop the heartstrings propaganda and face reality. Parents - teach your children not to play in the streets and enforce it. Some officers have heart disease and don't know it - any traumatic situation can trigger that - a new skate park will not eradicate propensity for a heart attack. I have been in towns where there WAS a skatepark and kids were STILL skating through the town and up and down church steps, etc...It is not the taxpayer's duty to entertain YOUR child.
Clarion Fund

AOL

#5 Aug 18, 2013
this is a wonderful example of "tax dollars" buying votes

or media manipulation

Somebody complained, somebody whined, and The Gazette ran an article.
C Hollar Bone

Charlotte, NC

#6 Aug 19, 2013
mesmer wrote:
<quoted text>
The emotional appeal for tax dollars being spent on this is illogical. Everyone regrets what happened, but it was not caused because there was no skate park. Let's stop the heartstrings propaganda and face reality. Parents - teach your children not to play in the streets and enforce it. Some officers have heart disease and don't know it - any traumatic situation can trigger that - a new skate park will not eradicate propensity for a heart attack. I have been in towns where there WAS a skatepark and kids were STILL skating through the town and up and down church steps, etc...It is not the taxpayer's duty to entertain YOUR child.
It is the duty of the city to help entertain our kids. A share of our taxes go to ball parks, soccer fields, tennis courts, parks with swings and sliding boards, etc. It's called quality of life. Skate boarding is a sport. Just like baseball, football, soccer, tennis, etc. they need to have a safe place to play.
question

Gastonia, NC

#7 Aug 19, 2013
Don't all skate kids do drugs or something?

Since: Jan 12

United States

#8 Aug 20, 2013
I think some of you came out of your mothers womb as grumpy old people.

Skate boarding is good exercise for kids.

Is it societies responsibility to entertain other peoples kids?

Of course not.

Is it within the responsibility of the local municipalities to provide a quality of life and recreational opportunities for people to come together, get to know one another and create a sense of community?

Yes, it is.

Stop hating on the skaters. One of them could be a future Belmont mayor or council member.
Smokin Joe

Belmont, NC

#9 Aug 21, 2013
I read this and remember a sign that said we were gonna build a skate park beside the tennis courts. An expensive undertaking and was put on the back burner to build a soccer field. Why do we change direction mid stream? But I do have an idea. There is a huge concrete pad behind Sammys and I think it is still owned by the city. No cost for grading, concrete. Just put some lights in, ramps, maybe some bleachers and the kids get a skate park and the taxpayers are off the hook. Speaking of hooks. Are we gonna build the fishing park before or after the kudzu grows back?
Reamo

Belmont, NC

#10 Aug 21, 2013
Finally, someone with some common sense! Have you thought about running for city council?
Sally Skater

Gastonia, NC

#11 Aug 21, 2013
Smokin Joe wrote:
I read this and remember a sign that said we were gonna build a skate park beside the tennis courts. An expensive undertaking and was put on the back burner to build a soccer field. Why do we change direction mid stream? But I do have an idea. There is a huge concrete pad behind Sammys and I think it is still owned by the city. No cost for grading, concrete. Just put some lights in, ramps, maybe some bleachers and the kids get a skate park and the taxpayers are off the hook. Speaking of hooks. Are we gonna build the fishing park before or after the kudzu grows back?
Taxpayers off the hook? Cost of lights, cost of electricity, cost of extra police patrols, cost of liability insurance, cost of upkeep and repairs...etc.........

Since: Jan 12

Conover, NC

#12 Aug 22, 2013
Sally Skater wrote:
<quoted text>
Taxpayers off the hook? Cost of lights, cost of electricity, cost of extra police patrols, cost of liability insurance, cost of upkeep and repairs...etc.........
I wasn't going to say anything, but putting it behind Sammy's on an old, cracked concrete slab would make for a horrible skate park that no one would use.

Not to mention, you really don't want teenagers hanging out next to a place that serves alcohol.

Over by the Police dept is the best place for it. The good kids will be safe and the stoner kids can just smoke their weed in the woods before they go to the skate park.
Reamo

Belmont, NC

#13 Aug 22, 2013
Well Malcolm, Since you put it that way, at least they would be around back instead of in the park where all the kids watch the drunks stagger up and down main street!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Charlotte Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Pastor amy Lambert is a fraud! 3 hr Angel at night 1
Christian in uptown charlotte bitter hateful pe... 4 hr Angel at night 9
No Election posts? 11 hr Moose Knuckle 8
All these guys Wed Hung and I know it 1
News Five teens charged in string of east Charlotte ... Nov 19 Angel at night 1
Why are Southerners rude in action, but pretend... (Jan '13) Nov 18 Angel at night 260
Demetrios Nov 18 local food 2

Charlotte Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Charlotte Mortgages